Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

https://twitter.com/DunyaNews/status/1159095046311952384

and china's pissed too :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Kurtofan posted:

What does Ladakh mean

Land of high passes. It was already called that.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the bjp has benefited massively from sectarianism, its what propelled them into national prominence in the first place

the fallout from this isn't going to be a shooting war, but homegrown bombings, riots and communal violence that are going to play into modi's hands as he uses pogroms and ethnic cleanses way to another election victory that masks disastrous economic performance under his government

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

mila kunis posted:

the bjp has benefited massively from sectarianism, its what propelled them into national prominence in the first place

the fallout from this isn't going to be a shooting war, but homegrown bombings, riots and communal violence that are going to play into modi's hands as he uses pogroms and ethnic cleanses way to another election victory that masks disastrous economic performance under his government

Seems like that's not a great needle to try and thread.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Failson posted:

Seems like that's not a great needle to try and thread.

they just pulled of an election landslide despite one of the highest unemployment rates in decades.

they have the support of business elites and corporate media, and an extremely well funded and well trained propaganda apparatus.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

mila kunis posted:

they just pulled of an election landslide despite one of the highest unemployment rates in decades.

they have the support of business elites and corporate media, and an extremely well funded and well trained propaganda apparatus.

I think the whole trying to make it not become a shooting war is going to a needle that gets increasingly harder to thread

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KomradeX posted:

I think the whole trying to make it not become a shooting war is going to a needle that gets increasingly harder to thread

i don't even think that's something india entirely wants to avoid

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

i say swears online posted:

i don't even think that's something india entirely wants to avoid

Going by Twitter, ita certainly what the hooting Chuds want, but I would hope leadership would have some idea that a potential nuclear war would not be good

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

infinite lols that the eminently reasonable and long-awaited step of turning Ladakh into its own union territory happens in the most idiotic circumstances imaginable

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

mila kunis posted:

IIRC, Modi's approval rating was at an all time low before Jaish-e-Muhammed handed him reelection on a silver platter by killing 40 Indian soldiers and jump-starting the current India/Pakistan row

Revanchism can reach a point of exhaustion though if death tolls are high enough. Compare the success of the GOP in 2008 after Iraq with the success of Likudniks after everything in Palestine for the past two decades. Basically Modi has to build equivalents of the Western Wall and come up with the equivalent of the Gaza blockade - but in one territory instead of two - in order to prevent Indian soldiers/incoming settlers from feeling the heat of insurgency

Basically, in order to get reelected yet again, he has to make this really ugly and really brutal really fast. It's going to get really loving bad

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

infinite lols that the eminently reasonable and long-awaited step of turning Ladakh into its own union territory happens in the most idiotic circumstances imaginable

Is it reasonable, though? From what I've heard the Shia Muslim population of Ladakh (roughly 30% and 76% in Cargill) is not down

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Yossarian-22 posted:

Is it reasonable, though? From what I've heard the Shia Muslim population of Ladakh (roughly 30% and 76% in Cargill) is not down

It follows the generally-accepted trend in India of massive states being broken up to give the more remote, underdeveloped areas their own governments that don't forget they exist (see also Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, Uttarakhand, etc). Now, granted that the Kargil area could feasibly be included with rump Kashmir on religious grounds but the following things are true:

1) Arguably the most reasonable way to divide the state is that there are two parts that are internally connected within themselves but can basically not reach the other when it snows, which is basically how they actually decided to divide it.
2) The hinterlands of Kargil district are very much part of the Ladakh cultural and economic sphere regardless of religious divide and you would probably have to subdivide the district, which would require effort the crafters of this bill to put in effort they obviously didn't to this GOP-esque whirlwind timeline of legislative fuckery
3) While Indian state boundaries have been essentially constantly-evolving, especially along linguistic and economic lines for decades, there has never been a split along religious lines since 1947, for obvious reasons
4) The Hindutva chud government doesn't give a gently caress about the interests of Muslim communities

imo, the Union Territory path would have made sense in the past when it would have meant "the federal govt will paternalistically maintain control over this poor-rear end area while devolving development/economic control to local councils but we won't let you turn a new regional legislature into a prize/tool of communal violence". But now who really knows what it's going to look like since it's part of a wider strategy of "lmao gently caress muslims, nuclear war will make Kashmir Safe for Investors"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i really do worry that the promise of ten million luxury summer vacation homes outweighs any downside, including war

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
so how hot is this getting? there were reports of Pakistan and India shooting at each other

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Torpor posted:

so how hot is this getting? there were reports of Pakistan and India shooting at each other

Probably as hot as it'll get without a war being initiated, it's the same as with what's happening with US and Iran right now

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Torpor posted:

*huge shrug*

Pakistan and India shoot at each other in Kashmir fairly regularly normal circumstances. India has Kashmir's civilian population completely cut off from communication, so, yeah...

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
So I skimmed this thread and I wanna ask:

Is the world really going to go into nuclear winter because some slapdick politician realized that he can get a bump in his approval ratings by ramping up a border fight with his neighbor, who also has nuclear bombs?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Joey Steel posted:

Is the world really going to go into nuclear winter because some slapdick politician realized that he can get a bump in his approval ratings by ramping up a border fight with his neighbor, who also has nuclear bombs?

possibly maybe

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Joey Steel posted:

No.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah there's no risk of nuclear weapons going off over this, it's going to be limited to just fighting in Kashmir most likely. China's ties with Pakistan are also probably helping prevent any big ideas about moving in towards Pakistan. The big issue is that you're going to see an enormous upswing in suicide bombings and terror strikes in Kashmir and northern India, though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I agree China is the major deterrent to nuclear war over all this

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I agree China is the major deterrent to nuclear war over all this

Not from Pakistan's side

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ikanreed posted:

Not from Pakistan's side

they're absolutely the cooler head in this situation

in the d&d thread i flippantly said to give them a seat on the security council

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah there's no risk of nuclear weapons going off over this, it's going to be limited to just fighting in Kashmir most likely. China's ties with Pakistan are also probably helping prevent any big ideas about moving in towards Pakistan. The big issue is that you're going to see an enormous upswing in suicide bombings and terror strikes in Kashmir and northern India, though.

worst case is I could see an attack on the scale of the one's we saw in 2008 in mumbai

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

I appreciate your optimism.

Also bummer that what you describe is like the best-case scenario.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/ayaelb/status/1159562170763501573

yeah, it's bad

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lmao we're all gonna die

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Religious/ethnic minority region gets put under martial law and total communication blackout overnight, legal and rhetorical preparations are openly being made for literal ethnic cleansing likely causing unrest and retaliatory pogroms in the near future.

Overwhelming goon response: I heard there could be nuclear war?????

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

OhFunny posted:

The current India-administered Jammu and Kasmir (Pakistan and China administered regions disputed by India in light grey)

those are some nasty-rear end borders

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Religious/ethnic minority region gets put under martial law and total communication blackout overnight, legal and rhetorical preparations are openly being made for literal ethnic cleansing likely causing unrest and retaliatory pogroms in the near future.

Overwhelming goon response: I heard there could be nuclear war?????

drat yeah two nuclear armed states at brink of war what kind of morons would think theres a possibility of nuclear war smh fuckin goons

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Joey Steel posted:

no

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

drat yeah two nuclear armed states at brink of war what kind of morons would think theres a possibility of nuclear war smh fuckin goons
it's slightly less hysterical than thinking north korea is going to nuke guam, i'll give you that

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

don't think there's gonna be a shooting war beyond the kind of skirmishing we saw earlier this year but i do suspect Pakistan and China are gonna be getting really friendly with each other

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
isnt pakistan already firmly in a chinese debt trap? i thought they were functionally bankrupt without chinese investment

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

cargo cult posted:

it's slightly less hysterical than thinking north korea is going to nuke guam, i'll give you that

i don't think it has a significant chance of happening but dismissing any concerns about it as just Dumb Goons is obnoxious

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
both countries have a well deserved reputation for being run by shameless kleptocrats so it should be sort of self-evident that the leadership isn't going to have an itchy trigger finger hovering over the nuclear button

cargo cult has issued a correction as of 15:52 on Aug 9, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it would suck if one side elected an ethnonationalist instead of a kleptocrat

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Oh poo poo oh gently caress

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Prav posted:

those are some nasty-rear end borders

Welcome to South Asia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

yeah no one could be both an ethnonationalist and a kleptocrat social climber grifter