Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This got debunked pretty hard as a aside.

If we did get a galarian arbok I'd have to name it Crowley, no exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

Are there even hooks on the system level for Switch games to know whether they are docked or not?

It's a part of the whole design. Docking the device disables the touch screen, the handheld mode joycon connections and increases the available processing power.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Regional variants were a great idea

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

National Dex + Galar should be a little under 900, so 600 Galar dex (2/3) isn't bad for Dexit, depending on the cut list

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rinkles posted:

Regional variants were a great idea

Agreed, but regional evolutions really get my attention.

They teased the concept of environmentally influenced evolutions with normal Pikachu or Cubone only taking on their Alolan forms when they evolve in those islands, but now they've gone all the way with Obstragoon.

It makes the world seem more alive when the Pokemon change this much in just from being in different areas.

In Obstragoon's case, you can piece together a plausible case for adaptation apparently happened. Since the Galar is apparently where the Zigzagoon species originated, you could say that a subset of the population somehow migrated to Hoenn in the distant past. They lost their Dark type behavior because their new environment was hospitable enough for them that the added aggression was unnecessary and conterproductive. As a side-effect of lesser environmental pressure, they subspecies lost their ability to evolve into their stronger adult stage since the lesser stage Linoone was good enough to compete and took far less time and effort. Kind of like birds that evolved to lose flight on islands devoid of natural predators. An overall massive downgrade, but one that works decently enough for the species overall in that particular area.

The best part is that KISS cosplaying were-badgers are apparently far more natural than the boring HM slaves we used to know.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So team chav huh

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Geostomp posted:

but now they've gone all the way with Obstragoon.

In Obstragoon's case,

there's no r in Obstagoon

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

less laughter posted:

there's no r in Obstagoon

Well, my bad then. Anyway, with Poison/Fairy and Electric/Dark now existing, how many unused type combos are left?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This new trailer made me interested in the game again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The “correction” has a less defined silhouette, conveys less overall personality, and also his arms are twice as long as his hind legs in a way that’d make him have to walk around with his forelegs splayed out like a lizard because not only are his legs too short, so is his torso, so he can’t amble around like a gorilla.

There’s zero thought here beyond “MAKE LESS FURRY”

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

less laughter posted:

Galarian Arbok is happening

This leak is probably wrong. Everything it gets right is piggybacking off an earlier leak, and what is new already has something that’s been proven demonstrably false. Weezing got a Galarian form, not a Galarian evolution.

Edit - Also they aren’t gonna do the Switch dock based evolution on account the Switch Lite is coming out.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 7, 2019

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Dehry posted:

It's a part of the whole design. Docking the device disables the touch screen, the handheld mode joycon connections and increases the available processing power.

Yes but that's OS level stuff.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Geostomp posted:

Well, my bad then. Anyway, with Poison/Fairy and Electric/Dark now existing, how many unused type combos are left?

Unused types;

Normal/Ice
Normal/Bug
Normal/Ghost
Normal/Poison
Normal/Rock
Normal/Steel
Fire/Grass
Fire/Fairy
Fire/Ice
Electric/Fighting
Electric/Poison
Ice/Poison
Ice/Bug
Fighting/Ground
Fighting/Fairy
Poison/Psychic
Poison/Steel
Ground/Fairy
Psychic/Bug
Bug/Dragon
Bug/Dark
Rock/Ghost

Also, the following are only used by legendaries;

Flying
Fire/Water
Fire/Steel
Electric/Dragon
Ice/Dragon
Fighting/Rock
Fighting/Ghost
Psychic/Ghost
Psychic/Dragon
Ghost/Dragon
Dragon/Steel

And also Dragon/Fairy is only used by Mega Altaria.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Geostomp posted:

https://pokemondb.net/type/unused

That leaves 23. Plus 11 only used by Legendaries and/or Megas (was 12, but Duraludon is Dragon/Steel).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bleck posted:

Fire/Ice

How has this not been done

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bleck posted:

Dragon/Steel

Have we forgotten Duraludon already? Because I have not and it will have a reserved spot in my team in the next Pokemon game I play....if it happens at all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Andrast posted:

How has this not been done

A lot of the unused type combos have fairly obvious concepts (Rock/Ghost tombstone, Fire/Grass jalapeno pepper). There are even existing Pokemon that fit unused typings better than their actual typings (Bug/Dragon for Flygon).

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Bleck posted:

Unused types;

Also, the following are only used by legendaries;

http://www.colonsemicolon.com

Also Duraludon is Dragon/Steel (not just Dialga) and Mega Ampharos is Dragon/Electric (not just Zekrom).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Silver2195 posted:

A lot of the unused type combos have fairly obvious concepts (Rock/Ghost tombstone, Fire/Grass jalapeno pepper). There are even existing Pokemon that fit unused typings better than their actual typings (Bug/Dragon for Flygon).

flygon is ground type because he flies

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Punk rock Zigzagoon is great.

Punk rock Furret when?

Great design.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

Are there even hooks on the system level for Switch games to know whether they are docked or not?

what

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

less laughter posted:

http://www.colonsemicolon.com

Also Duraludon is Dragon/Steel (not just Dialga) and Mega Ampharos is Dragon/Electric (not just Zekrom).

Mega Ampharos and Mega Altaria don't exist any more since megas are out.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bug/Dark and Bug/Psychic are both such easy ideas that it’s shocking they haven’t been done yet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that 'redesign' of obstagoon sucks, lmao. it misses the silhouette of what the design is going for, which is an rear end in a top hat punk hooligan.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Vandar posted:

Bug/Dark and Bug/Psychic are both such easy ideas that it’s shocking they haven’t been done yet.

Normal/Ghost that's just a bedsheet with two eyeholes.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/mizartz/status/1159143834523230209

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Vandar posted:

Especially since we've had Bugs with Psyhic attacks since day one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vandar posted:

Vandar posted:

Yeah this would rule

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

that 'redesign' of obstagoon sucks, lmao. it misses the silhouette of what the design is going for, which is an rear end in a top hat punk hooligan.

The regular design is much worse. It doesn't matter 'what they were going for', because what they were going for looks really stupid.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wish this is how the transformation looked instead of the weird flash of light.

Borsche69 posted:

The regular design is much worse. It doesn't matter 'what they were going for', because what they were going for looks really stupid.

It looks awesome actually.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I can't believe Zigzagoon joined the nWo. His shiny version should have the Wolfpac colors.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

It looks awesome actually.

It looks like a weirdo wearing a costume mask, in a bad way.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The redesign looks like a more natural evolution of Linoone, while still keeping the KISS punk aesthetic.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Borsche69 posted:

Normal/Ghost that's just a bedsheet with two eyeholes.

I was designing a region based on Texas for fun, and came up with two Ghost/Normal concepts. One I called Mirreowr, a ghost cat that lives inside mirrors and reflective surfaces, but can pop out and temporarily go corporeal to slash and bite things. another was based on a player piano, though I can't remember what I called it. It would be part Normal because Normal is the home of sound-based moves. Both would be found in a SPOOKY abandoned tourist trap Old West town.

so yeah Ghost/Normal is imo one of the easiest unused type combos to design. Mammal But Spooky or Haunted Musical Instrument, boom.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rhonne posted:

I can't believe Zigzagoon joined the nWo. His shiny version should have the Wolfpac colors.

https://twitter.com/PLDHnet/status/1159160473914245121

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

qnqnx posted:

Have we forgotten Duraludon already?

Oops!

Borsche69 posted:

The redesign looks like a more natural evolution of Linoone, while still keeping the KISS punk aesthetic.

not sure how having the mustela evolve into a bear instead of another mustela is more natural but okay

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/vvienno/status/1159204574189805568

I hope they introduce a monocle hold item exclusive to that line

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i dont have a way of playing docked so i hope that leak is false

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

maybe humans are the normal/ghost type in the Pokemon world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mandatory lesbian posted:

i dont have a way of playing docked so i hope that leak is false

Yeah it would be lovely but after Malamar and Melmetal I'll believe any dumb evolution method.