Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Akiosan posted:

Trying to join Greater Goon in AFK Arena and all the spaces are full. Please let me know if you kick out any inactives. Thanks.

The longest inactive we have is the previous guild leader RagnarRokh at 3 days. He recently demoted himself out of no where, but I'm not 100% sure he's gone. We are also a few days from hitting the next guild level and adding another 5 spots, so join a temp guild and sit tight for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Bandire posted:

The longest inactive we have is the previous guild leader RagnarRokh at 3 days. He recently demoted himself out of no where, but I'm not 100% sure he's gone. We are also a few days from hitting the next guild level and adding another 5 spots, so join a temp guild and sit tight for now.

Pretty sure the game auto demotes guild leaders if they're inactive for a few days so you never get stuck in that fun situation where your guild leaders had disappeared for a month and you can't do anything.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

AFK Arena definitely has some interesting QoL or gameplay features that other games should include.

For instance pvp in gacha games is incredibly p2w and I tend to sit it out for the most part (doing the bare minimum) but they made it kind of interesting because you can bet wagers on contestants in their big championship league that they hold every couple of weeks.

I also like that you can automatically level up more than a single team of heroes. It makes sense given the game design though since you are limited by leveling materials as you go along so imagine having to actually level every single unit.

That said there's some definite stuff they can work on like maybe an unequip all button and equipment faction changes or something. Also as a newer player, any time they add new heroes it actually gets harder and harder to tier anything up since rates remain the same but the pool gets bigger.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Clocks posted:

AFK Arena definitely has some interesting QoL or gameplay features that other games should include.

For instance pvp in gacha games is incredibly p2w and I tend to sit it out for the most part (doing the bare minimum) but they made it kind of interesting because you can bet wagers on contestants in their big championship league that they hold every couple of weeks.

I also like that you can automatically level up more than a single team of heroes. It makes sense given the game design though since you are limited by leveling materials as you go along so imagine having to actually level every single unit.

That said there's some definite stuff they can work on like maybe an unequip all button and equipment faction changes or something. Also as a newer player, any time they add new heroes it actually gets harder and harder to tier anything up since rates remain the same but the pool gets bigger.

Agreed. I tend to not do most f2p pvp events because I dont spend money and so am always at a disadvantage, but I dont mind the pvp in this one because it gives me a range of people to fight against, and there is usually someone around my level and I can sort of work out if my team will beat their team based on who is in them (I dont bother fighting teams that have Brutus and Nemora because gently caress that). The auto level building is great, but I am constantly out of slots because I want all the heroes in there. I like that you can swap equipment around pretty easy, but an unequip all button would be tops.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Do you guys mean unequip everybody or unequip everything? Because the character page has an unequip everything button

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Am I right that I should be spending my AFK Arena gems on drawing new heroes? I have enough to draw 10 which apparently guarantees me an epic hero.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Am I right that I should be spending my AFK Arena gems on drawing new heroes? I have enough to draw 10 which apparently guarantees me an epic hero.

You should pretty much only spend diamonds on drawing heroes, 10 at a time. It doesn't guarantee you an epic except for maybe the first time? Definitely doesn't do that in general, but it's 10% cheaper than pulling 1 at a time. In the store there's sometimes an option to buy epic shards for diamonds, you should also do that. It's like 90 diamonds for 5 shards or something, it's a better value than the gacha for epics/diamond, but kind of a minor optimization. You should also pretty much only spend gold on upgrading gear/leveling heroes/buying the dust out of the store every day. Buying the dust is probably the most important, it's a real limiting factor eventually and the store is a major source for it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Do you guys mean unequip everybody or unequip everything? Because the character page has an unequip everything button

I presume they mean unequip everybody, because that's what people on reddit demand the most.

I don't get why but :shrug:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I presume they mean unequip everybody, because that's what people on reddit demand the most.

I don't get why but :shrug:

It's for stuff like the challenge tower, if you want to, say, equip your team of all wilders for a challenge tower run it's kind of a pain in the rear end, you have to find all the best equipped strength/dexterity/int based characters and strip all their gear, then equip all your wilders with it, then when you're done with your tower run you remove it from all the wilders and put it back on your main team etc. It'd be way faster to just strip everyone and go through equipping people in order of current priority. Don't get me wrong it isn't like 'oh man this takes hours,' but it's a pretty quick phone game already so saving 30 seconds here or there is helpful, I almost never bother equipping my tower team with the best possible gear because it's that tiny bit too much effort to swap everything around right now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

M. Night Skymall posted:

It doesn't guarantee you an epic except for maybe the first time? Definitely doesn't do that in general, but it's 10% cheaper than pulling 1 at a time.
I just started playing it and it says the first 10x pull guarantees an epic hero. Thanks for the advice :)

E: I don't see any way to merge heroes, I now have multiple copies of a few common heroes.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 7, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What the gently caress?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I just started playing it and it says the first 10x pull guarantees an epic hero. Thanks for the advice :)

E: I don't see any way to merge heroes, I now have multiple copies of a few common heroes.

You can't merge common heroes. There's a place called Temple of Ascension that lets you merge blue and above.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So do I just delete them?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's for stuff like the challenge tower, if you want to, say, equip your team of all wilders for a challenge tower run it's kind of a pain in the rear end, you have to find all the best equipped strength/dexterity/int based characters and strip all their gear, then equip all your wilders with it, then when you're done with your tower run you remove it from all the wilders and put it back on your main team etc. It'd be way faster to just strip everyone and go through equipping people in order of current priority. Don't get me wrong it isn't like 'oh man this takes hours,' but it's a pretty quick phone game already so saving 30 seconds here or there is helpful, I almost never bother equipping my tower team with the best possible gear because it's that tiny bit too much effort to swap everything around right now.

Ah, okay, that actually makes sense. I was not aware of these towers, so I didn't really see a meaningful use case.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega Man X DiVE Close Beta Signups have started.

Also, EVE Echoes Alpha signups for Australian, New Zealand, and Nordic regions.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So do I just delete them?

You can retire them at the Rickety Cart to get some tokens and dust. You can also set this up to happen automatically so you can just ignore green heroes forever (do this).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress?

Who do I play as?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Most of that page is in Japanese but repeated in English. I was a little taken aback at first and had a flash of "This is a Global sign-up, why is it not in English?!" Then I realized "Global" isn't "America" and felt great shame.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Who do I play as?

The baby

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Is there an Empires & Puzzles goon guild? Search didn't turn up a thread.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

In AFK Arena, if I have 2 graveborns, 2 maulers and a celestial, who gets the celestial bonus? Is it both groups?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

In AFK Arena, if I have 2 graveborns, 2 maulers and a celestial, who gets the celestial bonus? Is it both groups?

There's a bonus for 3+2 so you're probably getting that, if you tap the icon at the top left when you're lined up for a fight it will show all the bonuses and highlight the one you're getting. The top right is your opponent.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

There's a bonus for 3+2 so you're probably getting that, if you tap the icon at the top left when you're lined up for a fight it will show all the bonuses and highlight the one you're getting. The top right is your opponent.

Ugh, yeah, I was misreading it. Cheers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I installed Shop Titans last night because I dearly miss Shop Heroes and if you couldn't guess by the title the games appear to have the same sort of loop. It seems alright and may scratch that itch for a while but after like 30 minutes I have no idea how much depth there really is to this game or if it's just frontloaded to look like there is.

Also I went back in and played more Night of the Full Moon after taking a long break from it and man that game is still real fuckin good.

Edit: If anyone's playing this dumb shop game too I made a clan called Awful Artists because it forced me to

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 8, 2019

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

explosivo posted:

I installed Shop Titans last night because I dearly miss Shop Heroes and if you couldn't guess by the title the games appear to have the same sort of loop. It seems alright and may scratch that itch for a while but after like 30 minutes I have no idea how much depth there really is to this game or if it's just frontloaded to look like there is.

Also I went back in and played more Night of the Full Moon after taking a long break from it and man that game is still real fuckin good.

Edit: If anyone's playing this dumb shop game too I made a clan called Awful Artists because it forced me to

I played it for a bit and found that it's mostly the same. It's annoying to have to put particular items on display but on the flip side it means it's easy to offload what you've made. The quest mechanics feel weird both in how they unlock and how they determine success/reward.

Also gently caress the game for adding a monthly subscription and then dangling in your face all the loot you don't get if you don't pay. The worst sort of predatory micro-transactions. If it was a one time buy maybe I would but 8 bucks a month or whatever for a phone game? gently caress you.

I do like the slot machine currency idea though. Better than shop heroes' wheel of not-getting-anything-good every 8 hours.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also gently caress the game for adding a monthly subscription and then dangling in your face all the loot you don't get if you don't pay. The worst sort of predatory micro-transactions. If it was a one time buy maybe I would but 8 bucks a month or whatever for a phone game? gently caress you

Lol I haven't seen this yet but I'm not surprised. I've seen this in a couple different games now, I think AFK Arena did this too. Seems like the new thing is to entice you to subscribe to these services and I dunno hope you forget you subbed when you stop playing after a week?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Teppen got the update. Jill from Resident Evil is a new hero added to the game. Her basic units are insane. I think rathlos will be the newest tier S hero.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

It's a natural extension of f2p in any sort of gaming space. f2p MMOs have had subscriptions that give extra benefits (or in some cases, are basically required not to be a third-class citizen of said MMO) for ages, this is basically the same thing brought into the mobile gaming world.

I don't know how it is with iOS, but google play has automatic subscriptions that can be managed from your google account. In fact I'm surprised that games are really only using it to monetize now because google subscriptions have been a thing for at least a couple years now (maybe iOS recently implemented it so now it's easier for them to offer it?).

And yes, having a recurring subscription instead of something you have to buy each month separately is going to catch people who quit or forgot to cancel their subscription or who just keep it going because why not.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Clocks posted:

It's a natural extension of f2p in any sort of gaming space. f2p MMOs have had subscriptions that give extra benefits (or in some cases, are basically required not to be a third-class citizen of said MMO) for ages, this is basically the same thing brought into the mobile gaming world.

I don't know how it is with iOS, but google play has automatic subscriptions that can be managed from your google account. In fact I'm surprised that games are really only using it to monetize now because google subscriptions have been a thing for at least a couple years now (maybe iOS recently implemented it so now it's easier for them to offer it?).

And yes, having a recurring subscription instead of something you have to buy each month separately is going to catch people who quit or forgot to cancel their subscription or who just keep it going because why not.

I mean I get it from a business standpoint, but an MMO you can sit down and play to your heart's content. For a subscription to exist in a mobile game with timers everywhere is total bullshit. Oh I can claim extra prizes every time this 3 hour quest timer completes! In the meantime I can set up four other 10 minute timets, but not every 10 minutes because those resources take 20 minutes to refill!

I'm not hating on the genre because it's part of the management sim to fiddle with buttons and timers every once in a while. Just asking for a subscription instead of a one-time VIP purchase feels really bad. I really hope it fails so the trend dies off.

Speaking of shop related management games however, I am now playing Hero Park. It's kind of shop heroes meets adventure communist. Heroes trickle into your town or you pull 3 from a random pool with energy (10 cap 3/hr Regen). You fill shops and dungeons with items, monsters, and (fake) loot to get xp and money. Gacha and timed chest unlocks (of course) provide employees who craft your items. Fun and doesn't feel grabby like many games. I spent five survey bucks on being able to do 2 chests at once. Give it a go if your shop heroes void needs filling.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I understand the frustration, I'm just pretty immersed in gacha gaming so stuff like micro/macrotransactions is something I can espouse about at length.

While I understand everyone's distaste for it, it's highly unlikely to stop without serious law intervention because both gacha and even just candy-crush type f2p games gross a bajillion bucks for relatively little effort (compared to something like a triple A $60 game or making an MMO). There are of course games that have a small one-time purchase fee or whatever but if you download a f2p game be prepared for the devs to try to monetize you to hell and back.

Downloading Hero Park now just to try it out. Under "similar games" there are like two Pokémon knockoffs, heh. For anyone who hasn't seen there are ads literally just using Pokémon to advertise, maybe even using those assets ingame. I always wonder how much money they make and how long they stay up for but there's no way I'm downloading something like that to find out more.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Shwqa posted:

Teppen got the update. Jill from Resident Evil is a new hero added to the game. Her basic units are insane. I think rathlos will be the newest tier S hero.

lmao Rathalos is dumb as gently caress now. more degenerate than Nergigante ever was

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Speaking of shop related management games however, I am now playing Hero Park. It's kind of shop heroes meets adventure communist. Heroes trickle into your town or you pull 3 from a random pool with energy (10 cap 3/hr Regen). You fill shops and dungeons with items, monsters, and (fake) loot to get xp and money. Gacha and timed chest unlocks (of course) provide employees who craft your items. Fun and doesn't feel grabby like many games. I spent five survey bucks on being able to do 2 chests at once. Give it a go if your shop heroes void needs filling.

This seems pretty neat, thanks for the recommendation!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

I recently discovered this game and am enjoying it a lot. It's hitting the same itch as Meteorfall in that it's 'baby mode Slay the Spire'. Is the DLC worth it?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

In addition the new campaign in Night of the Full Moon, they also did a balance pass on some cards and blessings. I can't find a comprehensive list but I feel most of the nerfs were minor and the buffs pretty helpful.

One example is the Tower Shield used to give 1 point of armor per card your opponent drew, which was underwhelming. The new version gives +1 action points and automatically draws one action card a turn that gives armor. I felt a lot of those armor cards weren't amazing beforehand but having one automatically drawn per turn and being given the AP to play it makes them much more appealing.

I think the DLC is definitely worth it. The extra classes are all fun and the new campaign is a nice spin on the old one.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phyresis posted:

lmao Rathalos is dumb as gently caress now. more degenerate than Nergigante ever was

He's absolutely bonkers with the Jill cards now. Capcom have a poor track record of balancing games.

The game is still good but need to see how it develops.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Aramoro posted:

He's absolutely bonkers with the Jill cards now. Capcom have a poor track record of balancing games.

The game is still good but need to see how it develops.

it's sooo degenerate. i'm killin ppl in like 30 seconds. what the gently caress is this synergy. it's so braindead, too, you just play Guile or Bigger Guile, buff his attack, use your HA on him, and then finish them off with a Reckless Charge. RC does like, 14-22 damage instantly for ONE MANA. the only bad matchup for Wrathalos (Rath w/ Wrath Awoken Hero Art) is purple. some people say Wesker, but i'm not seeing it. it's too fast, it rolls over him. terrible meta atm

The real problem is Iris. She needs to cost 6 mana, maybe bump her health up a bit or something but gently caress. Green is too splashable, and it sucks on its own. That is a real bad combination. Wall Jump and Reckless Charge probably need to be restricted to green units only, like Block.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Akiosan posted:

Trying to join Greater Goon in AFK Arena and all the spaces are full. Please let me know if you kick out any inactives. Thanks.

The guild leveled up and we have room now. Try again please.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Xtanstic posted:

I recently discovered this game and am enjoying it a lot. It's hitting the same itch as Meteorfall in that it's 'baby mode Slay the Spire'. Is the DLC worth it?

The extra characters are 100% worth it - each one has a completely different set of cards and plays very differently. I haven't tried the expansion that came out recently yet, but I hear good things as well.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing AFK a bunch lately and enjoy it more than I should. Is Greater Goon the official guild for this thread? I joined just some random guild with goon in the name that seemed active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Metal Meltdown posted:

In addition the new campaign in Night of the Full Moon, they also did a balance pass on some cards and blessings. I can't find a comprehensive list but I feel most of the nerfs were minor and the buffs pretty helpful.

One example is the Tower Shield used to give 1 point of armor per card your opponent drew, which was underwhelming. The new version gives +1 action points and automatically draws one action card a turn that gives armor. I felt a lot of those armor cards weren't amazing beforehand but having one automatically drawn per turn and being given the AP to play it makes them much more appealing.

I think the DLC is definitely worth it. The extra classes are all fun and the new campaign is a nice spin on the old one.

I thought this too, it's been a while since I played it but playing recently I thought I was having an easier time getting further into a run than I did before and had a much better time with it. I still only have the first class unlocked but did buy the DLC with the extra classes so I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.