Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
didn't realize that even xi didn't get localized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Shoulda listened to whoever said to get a screen protector, I got a hairline scratch about a centimeter long in my touchscreen, though it looks like it might just be in the digitizer. Replacements appear to be cheap but actually getting at the screen looks like a bitch. :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rinkles posted:

It came out really late, it was a cross-platform game (so S-E couldn't just let Nintendo translate everything because they wouldn't be able to reuse the script on PS4) and I don't think DQ7 or DQ8 did very well when they finally let Nintendo bring those over.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I just got a refurbed N3DS XL due to finding out Warioware Gold was a thing. Is a screen protector necessary and if so, what's the best option for one?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rinkles posted:

The Switch version having the 2D/3D thing more than makes up for it I think.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ryuga Death posted:

I just got a refurbed N3DS XL due to finding out Warioware Gold was a thing. Is a screen protector necessary and if so, what's the best option for one?
The one from Hori. Totally worth it.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

The one from Hori. Totally worth it.

What's a reasonable price to pay for one? It doesn't seem like these things are made anymore. Cheapest I could find was this ebay listing for 40 dollars total.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I don't think one is necessary unless you're scratching the hell out of the bottom screen. In that case, any one will do you just fine.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LODGE NORTH posted:

I don't think one is necessary unless you're scratching the hell out of the bottom screen. In that case, any one will do you just fine.
Yeah, I've had a 3DS since like August 2011 and I don't have any noticeable scratches on either screen. The clamshell design protects it when it's not in use, so unless you plan on dropping it a lot or really pressing hard on the screen with the stylus, you don't really need to get a screen protector.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus, they really shot up in price! :stare:

Well, a friend swears by this one, which is like 1/5 of the price of a hori.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

LODGE NORTH posted:

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I've had a 3DS since like August 2011 and I don't have any noticeable scratches on either screen. The clamshell design protects it when it's not in use, so unless you plan on dropping it a lot or really pressing hard on the screen with the stylus, you don't really need to get a screen protector.

It's Warioware. You need a lower screen protector.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

No cursed images

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
i just bought a refurbished new 3DS xl and was looking to hack/homebrew it. what is the easiest method?

according to 3ds.hacks.guide my version # is 5.0.0, and two methods are available, Installing boot9strap (Soundhax) or using a Flash Cart.

which one should I do? both look pretty hard and I dont want to mess anything up.

succ fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 5, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

succ posted:

i just bought a refurbished new 3DS xl and was looking to hack/homebrew it. what is the easiest method?

according to 3ds.hacks.guide my version # is 5.0.0, and two methods are available, Installing boot9strap (Soundhax) or using a Flash Cart.

which one should I do? both look pretty hard and I dont want to mess anything up.
Good news! Neither is actually hard and the instructions are hilariously simple to accomplish. Everyone here and through this very sub-forum/thread will be willing to help you up if you're stuck at any step. You got this. :)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's Soundhax for you by the way.

The Flash Cart method is the "I wasn't asking nicely" one that always works but requires either special hardware or some pretty risky soldering.

On the upside, once you have the hardware (usually ordered from China) you can hack any 3DS guaranteed. Not that Nintendo's really patching holes closed anymore.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Thanks, I will try the Soundhax method and post if I have any questions.

Some of them seem crazy like soldering and using magnets, so it intimated me a bit.

I already messed up once and bought an SD card instead of a micro SD.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Using the magnet is actually very easy and you shouldn't be afraid of that one.

Soldering wires onto the motherboard should intimidate you.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Soldering wires to the motherboard is dumb unless you A. already have a soldering iron and have experience with it or B. want to get into that kind of thing, because buying a cheap flash cart with the 3DS toggle on it is cheaper than the equipment/materials/time you'll spend on the soldering method even before the potential for perma-loving it up

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Buy a flash cart because flash cart is awesome if you're already into homebrew imo

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

succ posted:

Soundhax.

succ posted:

according to 3ds.hacks.guide my version # is 5.0.0
That's not right. It has to be higher. New 3DS XLs didn't ship with anything older than 9.0. You're probably doing soundhax either way but this is the kind of detail you want to pay attention to and get correct, particularly since you have to download the correct version of otherapp.bin.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's not right. It has to be higher. New 3DS XLs didn't ship with anything older than 9.0. You're probably doing soundhax either way but this is the kind of detail you want to pay attention to and get correct, particularly since you have to download the correct version of otherapp.bin.

oops yeah, mine is 10.6.0-31U

going to try to install it tomorrow, will post updates/questions

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Everything worked! It was easier than I thought.

Can I play older games from the GBA or DS?

succ fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 7, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

succ posted:

Can I play older games from the GBA or DS?

GBA yes (you want something that can inject GBA ROMs into the Ambassador titles).

DS you'll want a flashcart for, they're $20 I think.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Keep in mind that since the 3DS is playing GBA games natively, it doesn't put the 3DS to sleep when you close the screen. So while the sound and screens are off, the system is still running and using up battery.

Look up GBA VC injector, GB and GBC injectors for those respective systems too.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

succ posted:

Yep, that's everyone's experience unless they try the method that involves soldering.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

FYI, there is a tool called “New Super Ultimate Injector” that makes it pretty easy to build installable .CIA flies to inject GBA roms... as well as GB/GBC, NES, SNES, and Genesis roms.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

univbee posted:

GBA yes (you want something that can inject GBA ROMs into the Ambassador titles).

DS you'll want a flashcart for, they're $20 I think.
You actually can play DS games from the SD Card in the 3DS. I'm on my tablet right now so I can't post a link, but there's homebrew that allows exactly that. It's not compatible with all DS games yet, although I haven't had problems with any I've tried, and you may need a patch to bypass any antipiracy checks the game makes, but it's possible. A flashcart is easier, because afaik they're 100% compatible and shouldn't need any patches, but this could save you the $20.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Please link that when you can.

I tried hacking a DSi for this purpose but it didn't seem to work out and I haven't had time lately to mess with it to see what went wrong.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Please link that when you can.

I tried hacking a DSi for this purpose but it didn't seem to work out and I haven't had time lately to mess with it to see what went wrong.

TWiLight Menu++(gbatemp link) is the latest one, I think that's what I have on my 3ds, rather than the older twloader. It works well enough, but I still make sure I don't have a cart in when I use it, just in case it tries to save to the cart's memory. That might not still be an issue, I haven't looked in a while (or updated it in ages).

The instructions are pretty straightforward, at least if you have cfw setup, but I have no idea about doing it on a DSi.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Twilight Menu is just the frontend, IIRC. You need NDS Bootstrap Loader (also GBATemp) to actually be able to run the ROMs.

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe
or just follow https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/TWiLightMenu/wiki/How-to-install-TWiLight-Menu

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Commander Keene posted:

Twilight Menu is just the frontend, IIRC. You need NDS Bootstrap Loader (also GBATemp) to actually be able to run the ROMs.

Twilight Menu might have just been the frontend, but TwilightMenu++ runs many DS (and some GBA) games out of the box, so to speak, by having whatever it needs built in. I needed to use the new super ultimate injector to get some GBA games I cared about to work, and one other game (Soundvoyager) doesn't seem to work no matter what I try.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve been playing the Bowser’s Inside Story remake and I think it’s actually.... good? It looks a lot better on the 3DS itself than on screenshots and there’s a lot of handy new quality of life features. Yeah, it’s 30fps instead of the original’s 60 but that doesn’t really matter for this type of game imo.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's pretty dumb how expensive 3DS games seem to still be. Not to mention trying to find a reasonably priced copy of Mario Tennis Open, Mario Golf World Tour, or any of the Mario & Luigi RPG games seem really difficult. Maybe I bought a 3DS way too late. :(

In more optimistic stuff, I found out, from Warioware Gold and a review of Tipping Stars, that there's a series of games called Pushmo that seem really fun!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ryuga Death posted:

In more optimistic stuff, I found out, from Warioware Gold and a review of Tipping Stars, that there's a series of games called Pushmo that seem really fun!

It is, but it's a fairly loose series where the three main games all play differently and people tend to like certain entries over others, it's not like Picross where all dozen games are basically puzzle packs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So I just beat Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies today and was wondering if I should get any of the DLC cases?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the dlc case in dual destinies is the best one in the game

which isn't to say it's an incredible case or anything, it's just good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it's an incredible case.

The one for SoJ is pretty lame tho

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Commander Keene posted:

So I just beat Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies today and was wondering if I should get any of the DLC cases?

Yes. One is really memorable that I recommend going into spoiler free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which ending is the most ridiculous for the Layton games? I watched Thevoiceofdog do Wright v Layton, and jesus gently caress that ending was absolute nonsense. Without going into to much detail of course.