Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

What's a good airlock setup for gas rooms/pockets? I needed to set up a pump and pipes in a natural chlorine pocket, so I have 2 manual airlocks separated by 2 spaces but I still got some chlorine leakage. Dupes don't care about running full bore through the second airlock before the first one's closed, and the problem gets exponentially worse if there are multiple dupes running back and forth through them.

Also--and this is a dumb question--do plants need CO2? What I'm really asking is, am I driving to get 100% oxygen in my colony, or will I forever be migrating farms down to where CO2 naturally gathers?

There's three methods for airlocks. One takes advantage of how gas and liquids interact (perhaps an exploit) by setting up a two-column of some sort of fluid in-between sections. Gas cannot travel through this barrier. The following is the simplest form of it, equal signs are blocks and tilde is the liquid. You can make-shift something similar using any pool of water in the asteroid however and it benefits having your dupes in atmo suits or suffer a bit of morale loss from getting soaked.
code:
  =  
= ~ =
==~==
=====
The second is taking advantage of how gasses get sorted out based on their weight. This is a little more difficult with chlorine because it's a middle gas; it's heavier than oxygen but lighter than carbon dioxide. Naked dupes traversing the room filled with chlorine are going to eventually displace it with their breathing, even with the opening to the room being at the top. Similarly having the opening at the bottom will eventually have it displaced by oxygen or hydrogen. It can be done playing around with the corridor leading into it, kinking it below so a carbon dioxide pocket "squeezes" the volume of chlorine gas to the top while preventing oxygen from entering.

The third is downloading a mod for an actual airlock that prevents gas from passing through it even while open.

Certain plants need CO2 as their atmosphere, you can see which ones in their database entry. Mushrooms are a notable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Look up waterlocks and just build one of those. Super low tech, airtight, no power usage. Basically just making an s-bend for the duplicant toilet that is your colony.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
did you know that stress vomiting produces a lot of water? now you do!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Does stress vomitting conserve mass or create it? Does the vomit liquid replace their toilet break, or is it new vomit liquid created out of thin air? Wonder if there's some way to game it to use your dupes as a low volume pwater geyser if you're desperate (and a monster)

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Now I want to see someone power their entire base with flatulent stress vomiters.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The best way to handle airlocks is to get the steam workshop mod that makes them actually work as airlocks. Water locks/etc. are just hacks that you can also use.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Water locks would be cool if it didn't require micro-management to build, and if you could only allow non-stressed or already soaked dupes to enter a doorway.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have not installed mods on steam but I'm so god drat tired of making stupid waterlocks, anybody mind making me not-stupid on how to install this actual airlock mod?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Monkey posted:

The best way to handle airlocks is to get the steam workshop mod that makes them actually work as airlocks. Water locks/etc. are just hacks that you can also use.

You can build an actual airlock with a pump and a set of mechanical airlocks, much like real airlocks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

I have not installed mods on steam but I'm so god drat tired of making stupid waterlocks, anybody mind making me not-stupid on how to install this actual airlock mod?

Open up steam workshop on the library entry of the game.

Find the mod you want.

Push the green subscribe button.

Start the game.

This is where things get weird. The wording they chose makes it sound like the mods are enabled by default. This is a lie.

Once the game does it's notifications and restarts, click the MOD button on the main menu.

Find the mod you want to enable, and check the checkmark. The game may restart again.

Play and enjoy your airlocks.

Edit: The game recently came out of early access so double check any mods and see if they have a recent update time or a comment saying "Works" in the last week or so.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i got a hot water geyser with 2 nullifiers

how do i best take advantage of this?

a link to a guide on how to use nullifiers to cool down water might be the best bet, since i am a very bad player

e: i guess i could do something similar to https://medium.com/schematics-not-included/petroleum-cooling-loop-with-aetn-dcce23c624f8 but i only understand, like... half the words in this post D:

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 8, 2019

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
stress vomiting does create water from nothing and was one of the only ways to create more water in the earliest early access builds

all the earliest 1000+ cycle megabases were horrible oubliette towers with all mesh flooring with all dupes stress vomiters and no morale boosting stuff to make 'em puke as much as possible

Exclusive posted:

I just started playing this over the weekend. In my current base I've finally got a decent farming/cooking setup going for my 5 dupes but having problems with CO2 build up at the bottom of my base. What are good options for fixing this? I built an electrolyzer 1-2 cycles ago partly just to try it out and partly in hope that the oxygen would help.

Also I built a hatch pen for shits and giggles hoping for some eggs but I have not seen a single egg and they have been captured for ~10 cycles. What gives?

you are going to get so much food poisoning from chefs coming out of your bathroom, going directly to the grill, and not washing their hands because someone else is using the sink

there's a reason why most people's bathrooms only have one exit

(to actually answer your question: your three options are algae terrariums, CO2 scrubbers, or digging down into caves so the CO2 settles out of your base and then deal with it later)

Jinnigan posted:

i got a hot water geyser with 2 nullifiers

how do i best take advantage of this?

a link to a guide on how to use nullifiers to cool down water might be the best bet, since i am a very bad player

e: i guess i could do something similar to https://medium.com/schematics-not-included/petroleum-cooling-loop-with-aetn-dcce23c624f8 but i only understand, like... half the words in this post D:

1. plug the AETN into hydrogen to turn it on
2. different materials transfer heats at different rates - you know how on a hot day touching certain things like hot metal or leather feels much hotter than other things? it's because those materials are better at transferring temperature. in ONI, hydrogen gas is one of the best readily-available things to do this, so enclose the AETN in a room and fill it with hydrogen
3. expose the thing you want cooled to the hydrogen. you want things to be in long enough to actually be cooled (which is why they have pipes squiggling back and forth instead of going straight through) but not so long it gets too cold, which is why they have a system that feeds in the thing they want cooled at a slow but steady pace - if it got backed up the stuff might sit in the pipes and get cooled to the point it freezes (or liquifies if it's a gas) which, in ONI, destroys the pipes.

the second part (where it goes "loop within a loop") is a bit more complicated and seems to be using the petroleum as a coolant for something else so just for simple HVAC/farming purposes the first part is fine and you can stop there.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 8, 2019

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

President Ark posted:

stress vomiting does create water from nothing and was one of the only ways to create more water in the earliest early access builds

all the earliest 1000+ cycle megabases were horrible oubliette towers with all mesh flooring with all dupes stress vomiters and no morale boosting stuff to make 'em puke as much as possible

you are going to get so much food poisoning from chefs coming out of your bathroom, going directly to the grill, and not washing their hands because someone else is using the sink

there's a reason why most people's bathrooms only have one exit

(to actually answer your question: your three options are algae terrariums, CO2 scrubbers, or digging down into caves so the CO2 settles out of your base and then deal with it later)

Yeah it's about time I upgrade from my starter bathroom to an actual plumbing-enabled rest room and showers. I'll do that next -- thanks for the tips!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Exclusive posted:

Yeah it's about time I upgrade from my starter bathroom to an actual plumbing-enabled rest room and showers. I'll do that next -- thanks for the tips!

it's mostly that you have fewer sinks/washbasins than toilets in one direction out of your bathroom; dupes won't wait to use a sink so inevitably someone is going to leave your bathroom going left while someone else is using the sink and walk right past without washing their hands and then grill something with their hands covered in piss

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1735550356

subscribe to it
start game, it alerts you that the mod is installed
click 'mods'
find this mod (if you've never installed other mods this will be the only one)
check it to enable it
hit ok
game restarts

e:fb but here's a link to it at least

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CainFortea posted:

This is where things get weird. The wording they chose makes it sound like the mods are enabled by default. This is a lie.

Would have missed exactly this because yeah it's confusing, thanks.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Major Landmark. First colony of mine to make it to 200 cycles and it's not all on fire (just yet...)

Plain screenshot, power, plumbing, thermal, etc overlays: https://imgur.com/a/JJMGavt

I've currently got all the power shut off that I can, because I want to save my precious remaining coal for steel (someday) and my natural gas geyser went dormant some cycles back and won't become active again for another 45 cycles or so. I've got about 300Kg of my 1200Kg Strategic Natural Gas Reserves remaining. My hope is that I'll have crude oil / petroleum base power generation operational before things get critical.

Central H+O2 production and CO2/Chlorine scrubbing are recent improvements. I have found vast salt seas that I expect to keep me in water for quite a long time. The extension of the lefthand main access shaft toward the surface continues apace.

This game might make it to space, but, wow, I keep digging up and up and up... where is it?!

Quinton fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 8, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish auto sweepers could handle bottles because god drat these algae terrariums generate a lot of labour.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I dont' know if this is a bug or something else happening, but I have a mini pump next to a door. If I let it run for a while, at some point a block of iron ore will appear on top of it. Not a block like a dupe could pick up. But a block that needs to be mined out.

It's never happened while I was watching, only when off screen. Anyone know what's goin on?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Random blocks of crap is usually indicative of a shove vole infestation, did you order one through the teleporter? It's probably digging around your base and making GBS threads out blocks of minerals.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Random blocks of crap is usually indicative of a shove vole infestation, did you order one through the teleporter? It's probably digging around your base and making GBS threads out blocks of minerals.

Hell no, stayed way the hell away from those things. It's also in the same spot every time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mercrom posted:

Now I want to see someone power their entire base with flatulent stress vomiters.

early on when poo poo like geysers didn't exist yet, people went even further and powered their bases with dead dupes spawning morbs for polluted oxygen and polluted water.

like they'd wall off the duplicant printer so dupes couldn't get out, and they'd stay in there for a few days and do stress vomiting and pissing themselves, then they'd die and spawn morbs which provided oxygen. it was the only way to get a perpetual base going

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

CainFortea posted:

I dont' know if this is a bug or something else happening, but I have a mini pump next to a door. If I let it run for a while, at some point a block of iron ore will appear on top of it. Not a block like a dupe could pick up. But a block that needs to be mined out.

It's never happened while I was watching, only when off screen. Anyone know what's goin on?

Are you using any door related mods? If not, please bug report that, with your save. There's a rare known metal duplication bug with doors at non-melting temperatures.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
CO2 chat, i always just built a couple algae farms at the bottom of my base while I first got to grips with where I was/basic layout. It typically bought me enough time to get on with other things.

Failing that, you can always dig deeper.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm getting the impression you just don't need to make algae farms at all, which means you need/use very much less water. If you have algae you can stick it in O2 diffusers instead and just keep dropping the CO2 until you can make a carbon skimmer.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I keep a few disabled algea farms in early game to turn on in case power becomes a problem.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve found that I end up with tons of extra water once I set up purification for my Pwater. I’m actively moving toward hydroponics and other water heavy stuff just to try and balance it out.

I suspect this is a result of not using it for anything but bathrooms, currently, but running several machines that output Pwater on top of pumping out slime biomes.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Ugh, the polluted geyser releases infected water, and plastic is required for germ sensors...

I lust for death.

I should probably give up and accept that my polluted water reservoir is going to get contaminated someday. I’m afraid to let trace amounts of germs into my clean water for fear it’ll end up going through a carbon skimmer or similar machine and wind up introducing food poisoning to the polluted water, but in reality there isn’t that much bad about having germy polluted water anyway.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nrook posted:

Ugh, the polluted geyser releases infected water, and plastic is required for germ sensors...

I lust for death.

I should probably give up and accept that my polluted water reservoir is going to get contaminated someday. I’m afraid to let trace amounts of germs into my clean water for fear it’ll end up going through a carbon skimmer or similar machine and wind up introducing food poisoning to the polluted water, but in reality there isn’t that much bad about having germy polluted water anyway.

You can just manually check it with the germ overlay. And then close the valves to the tank, and open the lower one. If you put a couple of tanks in there you can do it all at once to last you a while.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Take this with a grain of salt since I'm new at the game, but couldn't you run the germy water through a room full of chlorine to disinfect it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You have to put it in a reservoir, just a chlorine atmosphere does not do the trick I don't think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eILtbLDUJe0&t=1424s

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

OwlFancier posted:

I wish auto sweepers could handle bottles because god drat these algae terrariums generate a lot of labour.

Someone was asking for that on the canister filler's mod, not sure it ever got added. In the meantime though there's mods for piped output on terrariums, or better yet on everything: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1820866530&searchtext= (saves so much time versus with local byproduct output).

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm getting the impression you just don't need to make algae farms at all, which means you need/use very much less water. If you have algae you can stick it in O2 diffusers instead and just keep dropping the CO2 until you can make a carbon skimmer.

I place a few algae farms in the early game, but phase them out after the carbon skimmer gets going. As a short-term solution they suit me fine. But yeah, you could bypass them altogether if you felt like it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mechanical Ape posted:

I place a few algae farms in the early game, but phase them out after the carbon skimmer gets going. As a short-term solution they suit me fine. But yeah, you could bypass them altogether if you felt like it.

I skipped carbon skimmer entirely. I went from algae to electrolysis for a hydrogen source. Getting on a farm for those weird 4 eyed sheep things early so I have fiber for paintings helped my moral quite a bit.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I tend to use algea farms early game in the rear end end of nowhere biome ten minutes away from base that I'm trying to dig out a desperately needed water geyser or something. Bandaid solution to cut down on dupe travel time. Then I stop when I get atmo suits.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm playing the frozen planet because I like cold biomes in these games, is it normal for all the slime biome cells to be sterile? Zero germs anywhere in them that I have found so far. Is it the cold? I had heard the cold biome is easier because of heat management but I did not expect it to just be a bunch of free slime/mushroom spores too.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

It's because of the cold. So, no heat build up or disease to worry about. Having to insulate literally anything involving water is the minor downside. Having to warm polluted water sources prior to running it through a sieve is a pain as well.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Thanks, good to know why :)

It's neat that you can build your water tank out of airflow tile, I don't see anything about doing this in any tuts I've looked at but it seems super obvious so you never have to worry about a gas not separating because it's stuck in your water tank:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh that setup is just begging for a random stress vomiter or bathroom-misser "donation" in to your clean water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I physically cringed as I remember the 3rd colony I gave up on as everyone got sick and I had no medical things unlocked