Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Have the Space Wolves ever actually refused a mission though? I don't mean "we're going to pass this off onto our newest recruits" but straight up "No, gently caress your mission and gently caress you"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Presumably several instances where said mission was authorized by the Inquisition as a way for "ork snipers" to draw belligerent Astartes chapters into a trap.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Well, they famously defied the Inquisition and the Grey Knights that one time when they tried to stop the extermination of some guardsmen who had heroically fought off a daemon invasion.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Let me get this straight. The angels and holy warriors of your God Emperor/Omnissiah ask you for support and you're going to ask for payment?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's heavily implied in A Thousand Sons that Fenris is far more populated than a death world should be because Fenrisians were genetically modified in the Dark Age to be adapted to the environment.

Other sources suggest that Space Wolve aspirants accept the implants better than expected ; the Emperor was surprised that so many of Russ's vassals survived the process even though they were older than recommended.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 30, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Guyver posted:

Let me get this straight. The angels and holy warriors of your God Emperor/Omnissiah ask you for support and you're going to ask for payment?

Some dude named Horace did that once.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Inspector_666 posted:

How did that go? Hurr, easy.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Inspector_666 posted:

The Horse Heresy

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Horse Heresy

Here lies ‘ol Lorgar, thought of Imperial Divinity and died.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

An analysis of the economy of the imperium would be interesting, but I don't think there has ever been any centralized discussion/decisions made regarding it. Different authors just did their own thing and it was rarely a focus anyway.

If anything the salaries of your average citizen would probably be more comparable to a company scrip type situation.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Think of it like our world. Sure, there's countries where you have economics and money changing hands and there's countries where people still barter for goods. Your credit card won't mean a thing in a desert where bartering goods is key.

The Imperium doesn't care if you have an established interplanetery market system or if you trade heretic scalps. All they care about is tithes, be it raw materials, services or meat for the grinder. As for traders, you can stay in a system and trade within the markets of that, or you can go further out and play those cultures.

Somewhere a backwater planet doesn't care about the massive shiney diamonds lying around the place, but they sure love those disposable battery torches you picked up in bulk. While those fops in the core worlds love themselves some diamond poo poo.

Honestly, it's like you people never played Elite or something...

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It would be kinda funny if one of the best run clerical planets turned out to be a gene stealer cult that didn't feel like rejoining the hive because they like the tedium of paperwork.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Azubah posted:

It would be kinda funny if one of the best run clerical planets turned out to be a gene stealer cult that didn't feel like rejoining the hive because they like the tedium of paperwork.
"I mean, the hive mind is great and all, but have you ever felt what it's like to cross every T and dot every I ?"

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Forge Worlds tend to run on a barter system. In exchange for the protection of the Imperial Navy, Imperial Guard and Space Marines as well as being able to strip mine the hell out of a couple of neighboring system you have to make a couple of megatons of war materiel per year.

The bonus for the Space Wolves is that those agreements will be signed by the Omnisiah and it's the motherfucking Space Wolves protecting you.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Forge Worlds tend to run on a barter system. In exchange for the protection of the Imperial Navy, Imperial Guard and Space Marines as well as being able to strip mine the hell out of a couple of neighboring system you have to make a couple of megatons of war materiel per year.

Plus any golden age tech they find gets brought back to them to tinker with (as long as the inquisition don't hear of it)

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Carrion Throne is good. Real good. If Wraight keeps it up he'll be my favorite BL author. I went in expecting a byzantine inquisitorial mystery and descriptions of the grinding oppessiveness of life on a hive world and the book delivered. What I didn't expect was the whole story being set during Sanguinala. One of the weirder things about the 40k books I've read is the disconnect between the supposed extreme devotion of the Imperium and how faith is portrayed in the various books. It never really seems like that much of a central part of the stories. Sure there's wild eyed Sororitas, and puritan inquisitors, but never the sense that faith was the primary driving force for trillions of people. This book had it in droves. I could practically feel the frenzied devotion.

All the parts about the pilgrims and the procession to the palace and especially the lead up to the scene at the Eternity Gate were amazing.

The ending with Salvador being interrogated was a huge downer.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Galvanik posted:

Carrion Throne is good. Real good. If Wraight keeps it up he'll be my favorite BL author. I went in expecting a byzantine inquisitorial mystery and descriptions of the grinding oppessiveness of life on a hive world and the book delivered. What I didn't expect was the whole story being set during Sanguinala. One of the weirder things about the 40k books I've read is the disconnect between the supposed extreme devotion of the Imperium and how faith is portrayed in the various books. It never really seems like that much of a central part of the stories. Sure there's wild eyed Sororitas, and puritan inquisitors, but never the sense that faith was the primary driving force for trillions of people. This book had it in droves. I could practically feel the frenzied devotion.

All the parts about the pilgrims and the procession to the palace and especially the lead up to the scene at the Eternity Gate were amazing.

The ending with Salvador being interrogated was a huge downer.

Wraight has become my favorite author. You should read The Hollow Mountain post haste because it is even better than Carrion Throne. Lords of Silence is one of my favorite 40k books. Great author.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

D-Pad posted:

Wraight has become my favorite author. You should read The Hollow Mountain post haste because it is even better than Carrion Throne. Lords of Silence is one of my favorite 40k books. Great author.

He really does a great job world building, especially with his books that are set on the throne world. I really like ADB for how he portrays chaos, but for my dollar it doesn’t really get much better than Wraight.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Oculus Imperia just dropped a great video titled "A Pilgrimage to Holy Terra: An Account of Life on the Throneworld" It's a pro click:

https://youtu.be/OXADvMf_7Mc

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Reminder that for whatever reason the Celestine book release date is tomorrow. Coming soon has had it listed at the end of August since it was announced, but apparently that changed.

I am pumped to hopefully get some answers into what the living saints are and how they work.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Imperial Daemon Princes

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
sensei knights

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
graels (or some offshoot thereof) from unfinished Bequin trilogy

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Finished Celestine. Wasn't that great. The lore was cool but in his attempt to explain the weirdness of the warp purgatory experience she goes through after each death and her super zealotry when alive he used way too many adjectives/descriptive/flowery phrases and it made the writing bad. The story idea was cool just not executed well. Andy Clark can be hit or miss.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Looks like there's a poll going for the next reprints.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I just started reading the Hollow Mountain, and I forget. What was the thing the inquisition team encountered in the vaults in the first book? It wasn’t a daemon I don’t seem to remember. Some kind of Dark Eldar flesh monster maybe?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Moose-Alini posted:

I just started reading the Hollow Mountain, and I forget. What was the thing the inquisition team encountered in the vaults in the first book? It wasn’t a daemon I don’t seem to remember. Some kind of Dark Eldar flesh monster maybe?

A Dark Eldar grotesque, if I recall correctly.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

It was a bunch of groteqsues made by a Haemonculus that had been brought in to repair the failing Golden Throne

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

I voted in the last poll (for Gotrek) and bought it - won't bother this time.

But the lack of one of the later Gotrek novels (Road of Skulls, The Serpent Queen, Kinslayer and Slayer) leads me to believe that we might get a fifth and sixth omnibus.

Or they left him out to give other stories a chance.

I hope its the first one.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I am a big ol’ black library nerd and have read pretty much a bunch of series outside of the Horus Heresy stuff. I am wondering: if I know the backstory to the heresy would I miss much if I starting reading from “Solar War” going forward? As much as I love the setting I am an “all or nothing” kind of reader and if I start with book 1 of the Horus Heresy I’d feel compelled to read all 50something books and... and that feels like a tall order.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I am a big ol’ black library nerd and have read pretty much a bunch of series outside of the Horus Heresy stuff. I am wondering: if I know the backstory to the heresy would I miss much if I starting reading from “Solar War” going forward? As much as I love the setting I am an “all or nothing” kind of reader and if I start with book 1 of the Horus Heresy I’d feel compelled to read all 50something books and... and that feels like a tall order.

There are several posters in this thread that made compilations of the "main arc" books that are good reads and essentially take you to the Solar War setting while omitting books that don't aren't bad reads, but don't really contribute anything to the arc, and the outright terrible reads. You won't know every single side-plot or every single minor character - like that smug rear end in a top hat Word Bearer consigliere and his sidekicks - that you may encounter in the Solar War series, you'll know all the important ones, like Mersadie Oliton, whom you'll encounter in the very first book of the Horus Heresy.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

there's an INSANE amount of detail and amazing moments and new, awesome characters and stuff invented whole cloth specifically for the horus heresy books. there's a lot of bad or boring or mediocre books in the series but there's also a lot of the absolute best black library/40k writing that exists.

If you like reading and read a lot you should just go for it. you won't regret it in the long run I think, although you might regret reading a couple individual books that are truly stinkers.

You would definitely be missing an absolute loving ton of great stuff.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

hopterque posted:

there's an INSANE amount of detail and amazing moments and new, awesome characters and stuff invented whole cloth specifically for the horus heresy books. there's a lot of bad or boring or mediocre books in the series but there's also a lot of the absolute best black library/40k writing that exists.

If you like reading and read a lot you should just go for it. you won't regret it in the long run I think, although you might regret reading a couple individual books that are truly stinkers.

You would definitely be missing an absolute loving ton of great stuff.

Is there a list of absolute stinkers somewhere in the thread that you can recall? Off the top of my head I remember a lot of people comparing about Outcast Dead and Nemesis.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Battle for the Abyss

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is there a list of absolute stinkers somewhere in the thread that you can recall? Off the top of my head I remember a lot of people comparing about Outcast Dead and Nemesis.

If it's by Abnett, Wraight, or ADB it's probably worth reading. If it's not written by those authors and it isn't Thousand Sons then IMO it's probably worth skipping.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

John French writes some dope poo poo

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Khizan posted:

If it's by Abnett, Wraight, or ADB it's probably worth reading. If it's not written by those authors and it isn't Thousand Sons then IMO it's probably worth skipping.

This guy speaks the truth.

Read the first three then cherry pick the rest.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

nemesis is the worst i'd say, both outcast dead and battle for the abyss are important later on but are quite bad. the salamanders books aren't awful garbage but they're very plodding and dull and unimaginative imo.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The plot of Battle of the Abyss can be summed up in a few lines, and the book itself is hot garbage. Ditto for Nemesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Angry Lobster posted:

The plot of Battle of the Abyss can be summed up in a few lines, and the book itself is hot garbage. Ditto for Nemesis.

Anyone mind doing that?