Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Since there isn't a RI channel on discord, should I just use the Boston, MA channel instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Turtwig is next month's cd

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Turdwig is next month's cd

I like that it's on a Sunday now that I'm working Saturdays for a couple months!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

omnibobb posted:

When you have a dedicated alt phone like this do you have it connected to a cell network and pay a monthly bill or does it just hotspot to your phone? I have hotspotted my ipad to my phone and its good for raids but if i move it looses signal.

HookShot posted:

My alt's phone doesn't even have a SIM card in it, I just hotspot it to my normal phone.

This, I haven’t had any issues with the hotspot connection dropping either, beyond the built-in apple crap where “if the phone is asleep it’ll drop open wifi connections”. Conveniently, though, if you have a gotcha attached with bluetooth it seems to keep the wifi hotspot attached as well, even if you sleep the phone, which has been a lifesaver on community day

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Need a new friend quick for research: -

Edit: thank you!

Tremors fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 8, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Thank God they're moving community day back to a sensible timeframe. 4-7 was way too hot, and we weren't able to eat dinner until 8:30.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Yay caught a Ray! So what is the ideal move set for this big serpent?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Mesadoram posted:

Yay caught a Ray! So what is the ideal move set for this big serpent?

Dragon Tail/Outrage.

If you need a flying-type attacker, Air Slash/Aerial Ace, but you generally never need a flying-type attacker.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Oh neat, more Rocket Pokémon. I just fought a fire guy with Houndour/Houndoom/Charizard.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Did 9 Rayquaza raids during raid hour, one 15/15/14, but no shiny, which is really all I want. I did line up a trade for a shiny Sneasel for my extra Seel.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

overdesigned posted:

but you generally never need a flying-type attacker.

The major exception to this is Silph Cups, because almost every cup has at least one Counter user, and Flying is usually the most convenient way to beat them. But you're not going to use Ray for that anyway.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

got a shiny rayquaza after getting another mediocre speed deoxys

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

overdesigned posted:

Dragon Tail/Outrage.

If you need a flying-type attacker, Air Slash/Aerial Ace, but you generally never need a flying-type attacker.

Nice.

Yeah kind of a shame about flying...

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Mesadoram posted:

Nice.

Yeah kind of a shame about flying...

It was nice when Machamp raids were still exciting and needed a halfway competent team to solo. Power creep pretty much killed that though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Shiny Psyduck! Shiny Sneasel!! :hellyeah:

We've been killing it with shiny luck lately!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

omnibobb posted:

When you have a dedicated alt phone like this do you have it connected to a cell network and pay a monthly bill or does it just hotspot to your phone? I have hotspotted my ipad to my phone and its good for raids but if i move it looses signal.

I got a SIM from Ting for my backup phone, because they only bill on what you actually use. So if only use data and make no calls or texts, it's like 12-15 bux a month.

Also, yet another loving weekly reward with no loving Sinnoh Stone, but I did get a shiny Latias encounter, so that's neat.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I evolved the shiny Sneasel and now shiny Weavile is my favorite thing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Turtwig is next month's cd

no thank you

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

no thank you

Am I wrong, or is piplup the only starter from this gen that is any good for Pokémon go?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

rotinaj posted:

Am I wrong, or is piplup the only starter from this gen that is any good for Pokémon go?

It's always kind of up in the air before the actual moves are announced, since sometimes the moves can move something from "pretty poo poo" to "actually pretty good", but

- Chimchar may or may not end up on par with Blaziken (probably not if they just give it Blast Burn too, but there's a chance)

- If they give Torterra Frenzy Plant, then it's got a bit lower attack than Sceptile but higher defense and the typing gives it less actual weaknesses (although a double weakness to Ice)

- Empoleon with Hydro Cannon would actually be pretty good, it's got slightly higher attack than Swampert to begin with but Water/Steel typing makes it a beast with resistances (although the unfortunate irony there is there's 3 things water is super effective against: Fire (which empoleon loses resistance to because of Steel typing, so neutral damage), Ground (which it's weak to, because of Steel typing), and Rock (which it's resistant to, but "vs Rock" is a pretty niche thing to be great in))

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 8, 2019

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Plus they'll all be real good in PvP.

- Infernape's a little bulkier than Blaziken at Great League size, Close Combat's a bit cheaper than Focus Blast, and having Solar Beam is sort of interesting. Blast Burn will do most of the work, though
- Torterra with Frenzy Plant is comparable stat-wise to Venusaur. Main drawback is it doesn't get Vine Whip to charge super fast. Main draw over Venu or Meganium is Stone Edge
- Swampert's already terrifying with Hydro Cannon. Empoleon can't charge it quite as fast, but the higher attack and all those resistances mean it's likely going to be a monster anyway. Blizzard and Flash Cannon will be interesting late-game nukes, too.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Hatched a shiny cleffa, a shiny alolan grimer, and two pichu with different hats.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

I got THREE shinies in one day yesterday, which is a record for me! Shiny Natu, Sneasel, and Budew. I REALLY wanted the Sneasel shinny, pink lemonade baby.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Got my fifth stupid bird. Meanwhile murderwhale eludes me.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey LordHawking you care when I pop this egg to max our friend level?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Oh right, I've been meaning to ask this. Is there a better way than the tiny circles to see when you'll become good/best/ultramega friends?
I've popped some eggs thinking that opening a gift would bring me to the next level, but apparently it didn't.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

shut up blegum posted:

Oh right, I've been meaning to ask this. Is there a better way than the tiny circles to see when you'll become good/best/ultramega friends?
I've popped some eggs thinking that opening a gift would bring me to the next level, but apparently it didn't.

If you click on the circles, I think it shows the exact number of days.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Oh neat, UI upgrades.

The somewhat good: when a raid shows up, the notification now shows an oversized version of the gym picture at the top left of your screen. It’s an ok feature, although I don’t really have the gym pictures memorized or anything.

The extremely Niantic: whatever scaling they did affected buddy candy notifications too, so now every time my buddy scores a candy all I see is the bottom right quarter of my butterfly friend.

edit: friend notifications too, how incredibly Niantic

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 9, 2019

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

redneck nazgul posted:

If you click on the circles, I think it shows the exact number of days.

:psypop:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Possessed Grimer looks rad as heck:

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
so excited to get this today!!!!!! :toot: :duckie: :toot:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Does it matter if you level up a pokemon first and then evolve it vs evolving it and then level it up?
Like, will the cp get higher if you do it a certain way?

seiferguy posted:

Possessed Grimer looks rad as heck:

Lol that's cool.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Whether you level or evolve first makes no difference. The only thing that'll affect CP is IVs, which only change when you trade a Pokemon.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Shiny luck has been good for things not named rayquaza. We got an Eevee, natu, shellder, and sneasel within 2 days. 60+ ray seen and no shiny yet though. A few people I know have 5 of them now.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My shiny luck has been horrible outside of rayray.

RNG gonna do its thing.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey LordHawking you care when I pop this egg to max our friend level?

I’m level 40 already so I couldn’t care less, but thanks for checking in.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Beastyfella posted:

Shiny luck has been good for things not named rayquaza. We got an Eevee, natu, shellder, and sneasel within 2 days. 60+ ray seen and no shiny yet though. A few people I know have 5 of them now.

This is probably at least a bit because like 80% of the Go Fest spawns can be shiny (and another 10% are good for PvP, at least monthly cups. Catch those Chinchou, Skarmory, and Marill, folks).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

My shiny luck has been horrible outside of rayray.

RNG gonna do its thing.

Same, lovely shiny luck buddy.

I can't complain since I did get my weather boosted shiny rayray, but I still kind of want to.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!
Got a shiny poliwag, kabuto, and kyogre as well as a shiny rayray this week. Everything but the poliwag is on my alt :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HookShot posted:

Same, lovely shiny luck buddy.

I can't complain since I did get my weather boosted shiny rayray, but I still kind of want to.

I did get a gotchya last week so maybe the gotchya fairy will pay me a visit.