Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I never really understood this argument that they're fine because they don't have to do those things. BLM/MNK/DRG/SAM will do way more dps than you if they don't have to move during a fight. They will also do more dps if they do have to move. The only savage fight they aren't the top four in by a comfortable margin is E1S, and then it's only the 3 of them on top and the others neck and neck.

the whole fight they need to be making sure they're hitting all their positionals to get the maximum amount of damage out of their moves. they will be silently cursing the tank for any unintended boss shuffling around, if anyone places a puddle where it shouldn't be. they have to make sure to understand when they can pop their leylines, when they need to hold on to resources for gap closers. they're doing more damage "if they have to move" because they're expending mental energy and resources to avoid having to move as much as possible

the only thing i have to give a poo poo about is if reassemble is going to be up in time for drill, anything else i can just react to and move on the fly and it has 0 bearing on my dps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

just wanted to drop a yearly reminder that dark purple dye looks pretty much like pure black for like a quarter of the price

https://twitter.com/vitaminohm/status/1158962106265407488?s=20

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Everybody start thinking about what your giant cat daddy will look like in 2B's skirt and leotard...

We can go even further: think about what your giant cat daddy will look like in Kaine"s outfit.

That might not be until the second raid though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bobfly posted:

Lancer is alright. But you should be getting another level 30 quest?

I'm just saying, I recommend prioritizing your class quests :-)
Jobs can wait until all classes are mastered, this is the code of the R.O.O.K.I.E.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I uh, think my long lost twin is helping out with this Moonfire Faire.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The main quest forcing me to poach is making me very, very angry. >:C

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

iTrust posted:

I adjusted this slightly to be more accurate based entirely on what my WoL is.

Thanks for the opportunity to do this thing that I’ve done.

The live letter was a good read. Interested in particular about the crafting changes they’ve mentioned beyond the desynth stuff.

Also beast tribes in 5.1 :getin:

Honestly Miqo'te and Midlander were a tossup for first so I don't have a problem here.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MCH is so much fun. I'm really impressed how it nails the overriding design fantasy of "literally be Edgar" with the use and feel of the various tools

using Bioblaster follwed by Flamethrower makes me feel a bit of a war criminal though :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

the whole fight they need to be making sure they're hitting all their positionals to get the maximum amount of damage out of their moves. they will be silently cursing the tank for any unintended boss shuffling around, if anyone places a puddle where it shouldn't be. they have to make sure to understand when they can pop their leylines, when they need to hold on to resources for gap closers. they're doing more damage "if they have to move" because they're expending mental energy and resources to avoid having to move as much as possible

the only thing i have to give a poo poo about is if reassemble is going to be up in time for drill, anything else i can just react to and move on the fly and it has 0 bearing on my dps

additionally, this is why MCH is good from a gameplay perspective

it also allows to to run and jump in circles like a goddamn jackass while doing full DPS thanks to gamepad controls, which amuses me to no end

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

What I mean is when they are expending that extra mental energy they do way more dps than you. When they aren't they do more dps than you. I just don't think it's a great reason. I mean if I really cared I'd play one of those classes but I play brd because I do like hopping around in circles for no reason. But I don't find playing drg any more challenging.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zhloe being as responsible a guardian as ever I see...

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

MCH is so much fun. I'm really impressed how it nails the overriding design fantasy of "literally be Edgar" with the use and feel of the various tools

using Bioblaster follwed by Flamethrower makes me feel a bit of a war criminal though :ohdear:

It's so good. I've always liked MCH through its ups and downs but 5.0 MCH is definitely best MCH.

Ciaphas posted:

additionally, this is why MCH is good from a gameplay perspective

it also allows to to run and jump in circles like a goddamn jackass while doing full DPS thanks to gamepad controls, which amuses me to no end

And just think - BRD and MCH in 3.0 actually had castbars and had to turret themselves for maximum damage. :barf:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

And just think - BRD and MCH in 3.0 actually had castbars and had to turret themselves for maximum damage. :barf:

I quit 3.0 because of that. They ruined BRD for me.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Minnesota Mixup posted:

What I mean is when they are expending that extra mental energy they do way more dps than you. When they aren't they do more dps than you. I just don't think it's a great reason. I mean if I really cared I'd play one of those classes but I play brd because I do like hopping around in circles for no reason. But I don't find playing drg any more challenging.

Yeah a job's DPS doesn't have much to do with its difficulty. Most people would consider SMN and NIN to be on the harder side but their damage is pretty low. DRG is the easiest melee to play and does more damage than almost every other job.

I don't think there's much reason for the ranged jobs to do the DPS they do. Like I've mentioned before in the thread, a ~50th percentile Bard will do the same damage as a ~15th percentile BLM.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It might've taken like 4 hours which is by any account a terrible use of one's time but I conquered that infernal structure in the end, fair and square. Was probably one of like five people who didn't blow themselves up to get there, but it only made the victory sweeter.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

so when do I get to fight titan

when does this loving sidequest chain end

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not sure, the story still hasn't gotten to the Titan fight

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

we're still working on that as of shadowbringers

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

realpost: minor bits of brightness aside, I'm compelled to warn you that you're running headlong into the nadir of the game as a whole

It gets better from there--lots better after ARR ends--but for now, well, just remember the devs've gotten better at this since :shobon:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If they do genuinely put in a major bit of streamlining for this I will be impressed, because it seems - unfortunately - that it would be a business case mover to sell people skip potions. However, they may be wanting to convert the people who saw Y'Shtola in Times Square into longer-term customers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

realpost: minor bits of brightness aside, I'm compelled to warn you that you're running headlong into the nadir of the game as a whole

It gets better from there--lots better after ARR ends--but for now, well, just remember the devs've gotten better at this since :shobon:

It helps that despite the stupidity and general terrible quality of the main quests, the locations and their sidequests continue to be fun and interesting. I like the desert, I like the cat people village, I like worrying about the economic concerns of this cat people village, as they don't want outsiders intruding on their way of life, but money is good...

Also I'm a dragoon now. I get a jump that I can use like once per combat. Yay, I guess!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Actually, no. I need to be more enthusiastic about being a dragoon because the jumping animation is cool. I'm not going to let "lancers are boring" people take away the joy of becoming a really springy lancer.

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight

StrixNebulosa posted:

Actually, no. I need to be more enthusiastic about being a dragoon because the jumping animation is cool. I'm not going to let "lancers are boring" people take away the joy of becoming a really springy lancer.

Just unlocked my dragoon last night, got a few pieces of the armor too. I feel like we are very close in MSQ right now :D

I also feel like MSQ is finally starting to pick up a bit so I'm getting more into it

Have to admit I'm getting a little spent on the lancer rotation right now (True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust) while mixing in DMG buffs, so it was nice to mix things up with some jump attacks. Happy to finally get an AOE attack too (Doom Spike) though its nothing spectacular.

Kinda ashamed of myself but I made a one-button macro to do the entire rotation and apply dmg buffs etc to lazy grind things out when watching a movie. I know it isnt optimal for DPS due to the wait time and no skill queuing but drat its nice to click one button and zone out while going through some of these quests...

Macro system in this game is pretty neat, though I'm a total macro newbie

code:
/macroicon "True Thrust"
/ac "True Thrust" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Vorpal Thrust" <t>
/wait 1
/ac "Life Surge"
/wait 1.5
/ac "Full Thrust" <t>

cZk fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 7, 2019

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just beat Garuda Gaius yelling at and taunting a pseudo-god was really neat. I like him

Also, monk job stuff Wow both of these NPCs are assholes. I’m more inclined to side with the professor’s viewpoint but he’s such a condescending jerk. I want Hamon Holyfist back

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cZk posted:

Just unlocked my dragoon last night, got a few pieces of the armor too. I feel like we are very close in MSQ right now :D

Have to admit I'm getting a little spent on the lancer rotation right now (True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust) while mixing in DMG buffs, so it was nice to mix things up with some jump attacks. Happy to finally get an AOE attack too (Doom Spike) though its nothing spectacular.

Kinda ashamed of myself but I made a one-button macro to do the entire rotation and apply dmg buffs etc to lazy grind things out when watching a movie. I know it isnt optimal for DPS due to the wait time and no skill queuing but drat its nice to click one button and zone out while going through some of these quests...

Macro system in this game is pretty neat.

the dragoon low level rotation got kinda eviscerated when first phlebotomize and then heavy thrust were removed. At least impulse drive hell is gone now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

cZk posted:

I also feel like MSQ is finally starting to pick up a bit so I'm getting more into it

Macro system in this game is pretty neat.

Someday I'll figure out how to set up a macro. Today is not that day.

Meanwhile this game is stupid pretty:

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someday I'll figure out how to set up a macro. Today is not that day.

Meanwhile this game is stupid pretty:

Edited my post above if you want to see it. Easy to modify, can probably optimize too. Had to play with the wait times but I think I got it as fast as possible.

Just pieced it together from glancing at a few things on google but seems like you can make some really convenient macros. I bet it owns for crafting.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Macros are pretty useful for crafting. Just make sure to not use that dragoon macro in actual group content.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

cZk posted:

Macro system in this game is pretty neat, though I'm a total macro newbie

code:
/macroicon "True Thrust"
/ac "True Thrust" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Vorpal Thrust" <t>
/wait 1
/ac "Life Surge"
/wait 1.5
/ac "Full Thrust" <t>

don't do this

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you must, do it only for overworld quest combat where it doesn't really matter. Just don't bring it into solo instance content or group content because then you'll have a really bad time.

Edit: Also I don't think the macro system does decimal numbers.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

cZk posted:

code:
/macroicon "True Thrust"
/ac "True Thrust" <t>
/wait 2.5
/ac "Vorpal Thrust" <t>
/wait 1
/ac "Life Surge"
/wait 1.5
/ac "Full Thrust" <t>

Note that in addition to the no queue adds latency parts of this you can't actually wait a noninteger number of seconds. Decimal waits are accepted but rounded.

You can convert the above to an equivalent
code:
/macroicon "True Thrust"
/ac "True Thrust" <t> <wait. 3>
/ac "Vorpal Thrust" <t> <wait. 1>
/ac "Life Surge" <me> <wait. 2>
/ac "Full Thrust" <t>
I really want to stress that this is really not recommended, you'll attack maybe 30% slower than normal or so. If you want to solo that way then do as you please I guess, but be aware that extensive combat macroing is very much neutered.

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight

Xerophyte posted:

Note that in addition to the no queue adds latency parts of this you can't actually wait a noninteger number of seconds. Decimal waits are accepted but rounded.

I really want to stress that this is really not recommended, you'll attack maybe 30% slower than normal or so. If you want to solo that way then do as you please I guess, but be aware that extensive combat macroing is very much neutered.

I gotcha, didn't know about the rounding. I knew about the loss of dps due to no queue and wondered why it still seemed slower, so that explains it. Only bother using it when I'm half paying attention trying to grind out some mobs, but yeah, wouldn't want to bring it into any serious or group content because my rotation although basic right now still remains fairly dynamic depending on whats going on mechanic wise

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I just did a dungeon, I'm done with this stupid sidequest line, right? RIGHT?

WRONG

AAARGHHH

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Verranicus posted:

official xiv race tier list, from best to worst:

miqo'te
[The rest}

:hai:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I never really understood this argument that they're fine because they don't have to do those things. BLM/MNK/DRG/SAM will do way more dps than you if they don't have to move during a fight. They will also do more dps if they do have to move. The only savage fight they aren't the top four in by a comfortable margin is E1S, and then it's only the 3 of them on top and the others neck and neck.

Allow me to provide a visual aid:

99th percentile:

75th percentile:

50th percentile:

20th percentile:

10th percentile:

The MCH rotation is resilient-- very little can gently caress with it or disrupt it. Even loving up your Wildfire is hardly a problem these days, because it's like 4% of your DPS. This means you can spend more time focusing on mechanics and less time worrying about how to adjust your rotation.. or, if you're bad at the game, that if you're overwhelmed by mechanics you will probably not suffer much DPS loss.

Now maybe there's less value inherent in that in savage raiding, where everyone is assumed to be broadly competent at the game, but savage raiding is not the be-all end-all.

TL;DR: Machinist is idiot proof.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 8, 2019

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight

well i sure hope they cleaned up all the bodies.. :(

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cabbit posted:

No wonder I love it so much!

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Cabbit posted:

*snip*

I dunno how valuable it is to look at the normal raids because the -10% DPS on ranged jobs is only really felt in Savage where you basically can't beat enrage without the powerhouse jobs.

I just don't like this argument because if it held true for everything, DRG would be weaker than NIN, WHM would be weaker than AST, PLD would be weaker than the other tanks and BLM would be weaker than SMN. And besides, they weren't even always easier. MCH in SB wasn't easy compared to other DPS jobs but their damage was pretty bad for most of that expansion.

It's nice to have a DPS job that can run around and do mechanics easily but also a BLM could just skip a few GCDs doing mechanics and still do more damage so it's just hard to care. I guess MCH is pretty reliable raid contribution because they're less likely to die. I dunno!!

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 8, 2019

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Now maybe there's less value inherent in that in savage raiding, where everyone is assumed to be broadly competent at the game, but savage raiding is not the be-all end-all.

Difficult content is the only place where every player's dps really matters, so it seems that it should be balanced around that? That is impressive however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
So I'm kind of getting sick of The Beast of Brewer's Beacon gathering dust in my quest log, and I wanna know, will any of the Fisher skills from Heavensward and onward help me land that Titanic Sawfish? Mooch II, maybe?

Solitair fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 8, 2019