Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Yeah, the Time Eaters are on Farouk's side now since they're afraid of David and need a way to stop him. The Time Eaters surrounded Farouk, broke the frame, and now Farouk's out and in a position where he can stop David and Chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

That daddy poo poo was creepy so creepy.

One interesting thing is that with the subtitles on, each David had a different name, like Divad, DVD, and I think there may have been some others.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

poor minotaur, used like a prop by farouk since time immemorial.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It would be a bit of an anticlimax, but I could see the Moroccan showdown ending in a stalemate like before and Syd saving the world by ensuring David grows up loved.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

jerry seinfel posted:

He said captain
I said wot

That song is infectious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pqC563bX_w

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw1czzqXhr8

night slime
May 14, 2014
Those music videos honestly look weird to me cause they're not the show (I never heard the song before)

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Brilliant, thanks for sharing. I definitely loved the use of that song as a David's telepathic defense. I'm curious if the people shown in David's head are actual minds like the ones trapped inside that girl Xavier reads. Another great episode, a lot to wrap up but I'm keeping faith that they'll stick the landing.

I really liked Charles challenging David on his objectification of Switch. Poor Switch, I hope she gets a good resolution. I thought New Syd chopping wood was a great way to build on Oliver and Melanie having her build the stone wall so she would know how to work hard.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Something was missing for me in this episode, I think it was a little too straight forward. Still enjoyed it and seeing Farouk's actor in a different way was fantastic.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It would be a bit of an anticlimax, but I could see the Moroccan showdown ending in a stalemate like before and Syd saving the world by ensuring David grows up loved.

gently caress that’s probably it

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

beanieson posted:

gently caress that’s probably it

It's definitely heading that way, which means it's instead going to be a musical number where Syd takes both of the Farouk's powers and recreates reality with love

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

jerry seinfel posted:

It's definitely heading that way, which means it's instead going to be a musical number where Syd takes both of the Farouk's powers and recreates reality with love

Sold, I'll now be disappointed if it's anything else, maybe splash in some Evangelion with everyone clapping for Syd

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
drat i didn't realize that was an adam ant diss track

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What happened to the chap with the wicker basket on his head?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

When Switch asked for help from "teacher," I wondered if she was referring to Charles, and if she's actually a future student from the Xavier School.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Take that Adam Ant!

Corte posted:

Sold, I'll now be disappointed if it's anything else, maybe splash in some Evangelion with everyone clapping for Syd

Get in the Basket or Cary will have to pilot it again.

So did Farouk take peoples minds and shove them in that monkey and little girl? I wonder if that is something that increases his power or he just likes keeping them around to torture them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean he kept Lenny around as a tool to use and abuse so it's probably his standard MO.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Selachian posted:

When Switch asked for help from "teacher," I wondered if she was referring to Charles, and if she's actually a future student from the Xavier School.

Thinking about it now, I think she's talking about the guy on the tape she's been listening to. Who else knows anything about Time Travel in this universe?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Thinking about it now, I think she's talking about the guy on the tape she's been listening to. Who else knows anything about Time Travel in this universe?

I could be way off but my feeling is that the guy on the tape is her father who is also her teacher and who is the 'daddy' she's asking for help from (I don't get the sense that she's bought into David's daddy shtick, that final scene of her crying out for help doesn't seem cast in his direction). Perhaps he's a super omega time traveller and will intervene in some minor way, hopefully to extract Switch from danger and give her a minor scalding for assisting lunatics.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Chadzok posted:

I could be way off but my feeling is that the guy on the tape is her father who is also her teacher and who is the 'daddy' she's asking for help from (I don't get the sense that she's bought into David's daddy shtick, that final scene of her crying out for help doesn't seem cast in his direction). Perhaps he's a super omega time traveller and will intervene in some minor way, hopefully to extract Switch from danger and give her a minor scalding for assisting lunatics.

That'd be a really nice touch, I hope something like that happens

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Take that Adam Ant!

Get in the Basket or Cary will have to pilot it again.

So did Farouk take peoples minds and shove them in that monkey and little girl? I wonder if that is something that increases his power or he just likes keeping them around to torture them.

Yes, and I’m guessing it’s more the latter than the former.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Chadzok posted:

Whether Switch dies or not, my prediction is the gang is going to be stranded in the past. So the pokeball wasn't sent from the future, it was sent by Cary from the past, and "Future Syd" was also transmitting from the past.
edit:

General Dog posted:

What happened to the chap with the wicker basket on his head?
I believe he got whacked in season 1.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 7, 2019

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

He's definitely used other people's minds and bodies previously for survival and sadism. That's why I was curious about the flash of David's mind we see where it's the cult house and his followers are partying. I think it's possible he's crammed a ton of minds into his head to stifle Farouk's attempts to read him but could be wrong.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Maybe I missed something in the show, but there doesn't seem to be a mystery to future syd and the orb for me. I see people wondering about it all the time, but like, I'm pretty sure the orb and future syd did just come from the future, just not the future that was depicted in the show. It was the future where David killed Farouk in that battle. That didn't happen, therefore future syd won't happen, they altered the course of history.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Edit: God dammit, it posted twice for some reason

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Corte posted:

He's definitely used other people's minds and bodies previously for survival and sadism. That's why I was curious about the flash of David's mind we see where it's the cult house and his followers are partying. I think it's possible he's crammed a ton of minds into his head to stifle Farouk's attempts to read him but could be wrong.

my read of that scene was that those flashes were just indicating david had some kind of guard up and was stopping his mind from being read. i don't think there's anything indicating david has anyone in his head beyond his many personalities

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Something I realized, maybe it won't matter

The Farouk that goes into baby David doesn't wear Jovial Farouk's clothes, it's Effortlessly Cool Farouk. Maybe it's an oversight, or they didn't have Past Farouk's look down, or Farouk changes his clothes when he travels but hm.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Testicle Masochist posted:

Maybe I missed something in the show, but there doesn't seem to be a mystery to future syd and the orb for me. I see people wondering about it all the time, but like, I'm pretty sure the orb and future syd did just come from the future, just not the future that was depicted in the show. It was the future where David killed Farouk in that battle. That didn't happen, therefore future syd won't happen, they altered the course of history.

Right, this was my view as well. Because it's either "you can go back and change things and create a different timeline" or "if you go back, it will mean that you always went back, and your actions in the past are what create the present/future" AKA a timeloop. I think that this show's version of time travel is the former rather than the latter because Switch wouldn't have been able to go back and warn David the attack was coming if you were only capable of creating timeloops.

But then again, this show is wildly unpredictable so who knows. Maybe it's possible to do both. As long as Switch gets a happy ending. She didn't deserve any of this. :smith:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

jerry seinfel posted:

Something I realized, maybe it won't matter

The Farouk that goes into baby David doesn't wear Jovial Farouk's clothes, it's Effortlessly Cool Farouk. Maybe it's an oversight, or they didn't have Past Farouk's look down, or Farouk changes his clothes when he travels but hm.

good catch I doubt this is an oversight.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Right, this was my view as well. Because it's either "you can go back and change things and create a different timeline" or "if you go back, it will mean that you always went back, and your actions in the past are what create the present/future" AKA a timeloop. I think that this show's version of time travel is the former rather than the latter because Switch wouldn't have been able to go back and warn David the attack was coming if you were only capable of creating timeloops.

But then again, this show is wildly unpredictable so who knows. Maybe it's possible to do both. As long as Switch gets a happy ending. She didn't deserve any of this. :smith:
I always have fun with time travel mechanics, rules, and laws. In this particular case, they could actually provide a few different explanations to make up their own "narrative" rule set vs the "canonical" rule set. In other words, we the viewer are allowed to see the branched timelines (alternate reality episode in season 2) and follow Switch on her linear journey through her own life (her ability to flow against time is what's killing her) which includes branched timelines that are non-canonical, but in the end the canonical timeline is actually a loop that just happened to include a time traveler who saw brief glimpses of branches. Alternatively, alternate dimensions exist canonically and Switch is so extrapolated from reality that she actually doesn't exist across the entirety of all possible dimensions with the exception of the 1 she does exist in. This, however, sort of gives us the Rick and Morty fact that we are no longer viewing the canonical timeline we've grown to love ever since we first followed Switch through one of her time gates or she is only now entering the timeline we've known all along which then gives us the canonical "time loop."

But none of this really matters in a show where blue meanies come and cause time to reverse or fast forward for specific objects and people but spit it back up when they get punched. The logic there is almost incomprehensible and is more or less just done because it's cool.

In the end I think I agree that future Syd and the ball simply don't happen in the timeline we're now watching because David didn't get to finish Farouk off. I hope I'm wrong because I'd like a better explanation for both of them but I hope I'm right because I don't want a time loop to be the actual way this all ends. It's a little too rote for my liking. Unfortunately, Farouk's clothing does make me think the time loop is inevitable. Either way, I'm sure I'll be entertained!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
To quote Agent Cooper, what year is this?

night slime
May 14, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

good catch I doubt this is an oversight.

Actually, after Charles gets done with the theater show you see what appears to be Old Farouk flying at Gabrielle and David.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I'll be disappointed, and surprised really if the Switch storyline doesn't get suitably resolved - not just because she's endearing and sympathetic, but also because we haven't gotten the full picture yet. David's been mind controlling her no doubt (that interaction between David and Xavier confirmed this) but there are still some pretty glaring loose ends, e.g. her time traveling father, the robots, that "teacher" line, etc.

I guess maybe that's all just Legion Weirdness but I hope they get tied back into the main arc somehow.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

General Dog posted:

To quote Agent Cooper, what year is this?

The year when italy has a king

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Anyone else think maybe David doesn't actually have DID, but rather all the Legions are just previous iterations of himself having jumped into his baby self after losing a time-traveling conflict with Farouk?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

thumper57 posted:

Anyone else think maybe David doesn't actually have DID, but rather all the Legions are just previous iterations of himself having jumped into his baby self after losing a time-traveling conflict with Farouk?

Well I do NOW

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
That's a cool idea but I don't think they're gonna wander that far from the source material.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's a cool idea but I don't think they're gonna wander that far from the source material.

Yeah, the show's been pretty close to the source material so far, haha.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Watch it is a time loop and that David is the cause of all his own misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If the show went another season I could see this following the comics leading up to The Age Of Apocalypse. David goes back in time to try to kill Magneto (Shadow King), but accidentally gets Xavier killed. David gets wiped from existence right when Charles dies, and without him, Apocalypse (Shadow King again) goes unchecked and the world is nearly destroyed (the timeline from Syd's future).