Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BAE OF PIGS posted:

My fiancee was just offered, and accepted, a position in Olympia, WA. We live in Madison, WI. She's an archaeologist with a master's degree, and it seems to be impossible to find anything in her field that has benefits, isn't seasonal, and pays a living wage unless you have a PhD and 20+ years experience, but she managed to get a well paying job with the DOT that seems to be of the "I'm not leaving until I retire" variety. I'm very happy for her, and us, and looking forward to exciting things ahead. She will be doubling her current salary, and start off making more than I currently make with the potential for a raise in 6 months.

All that being said, I'm about to find myself unemployed and looking for a job for the first time in nearly 11 years and the thought of it is giving me anxiety.

Can’t you just chill for awhile on her 100% raise? Maybe go back to school yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

My fiancee was just offered, and accepted, a position in Olympia, WA. We live in Madison, WI. She's an archaeologist with a master's degree, and it seems to be impossible to find anything in her field that has benefits, isn't seasonal, and pays a living wage unless you have a PhD and 20+ years experience, but she managed to get a well paying job with the DOT that seems to be of the "I'm not leaving until I retire" variety. I'm very happy for her, and us, and looking forward to exciting things ahead. She will be doubling her current salary, and start off making more than I currently make with the potential for a raise in 6 months.

All that being said, I'm about to find myself unemployed and looking for a job for the first time in nearly 11 years and the thought of it is giving me anxiety.

Not sure if you're looking for advice or not, but here's some if you'd like it.

As you probably already know, you'll be moving from one very liberal medium sized state capital/university town to another (although Evergreen State is definitely a much smaller school). The culture shock shouldn't be too significant.

What do you do currently? I doubt I'm saying anything you haven't thought about, but it may be a good idea to consider initially moving closer to Tacoma. Your wife will have to commute, but I suspect that traffic in that direction isn't that bad. Living in Tacoma would probably open up your job prospects a bit since you could more easily commute to anywhere south of Seattle.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BeastOfExmoor posted:

it may be a good idea to consider initially moving closer to Tacoma. Your wife will have to commute, but I suspect that traffic in that direction isn't that bad. Living in Tacoma would probably open up your job prospects a bit since you could more easily commute to anywhere south of Seattle.

This is a terrible idea. It's a 1hr30 minute commute each way, assuming you commute outside of rush hour. Move close to your wife's job, don't move halfway between it and a hypothetical job you might have some day.

Olympia is a nice little town. One of my best friends is moving there next month to be a math professor so she'll probably cross paths with your wife.

Lots of breweries, some great restaurants, and WOW is the apartment market good. Like, luxury 2 Bedroom at 1,000 SF for $1,200 a month good.

Enjoy the higher income, lower COL, and spend some time looking for new work!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

tuyop posted:

Can’t you just chill for awhile on her 100% raise? Maybe go back to school yourself?

Her 100% raise is still only to just north of 60k a year. Definitely not a salary where we could afford for me to sit around on my rear end.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

What do you do currently? I doubt I'm saying anything you haven't thought about, but it may be a good idea to consider initially moving closer to Tacoma. Your wife will have to commute, but I suspect that traffic in that direction isn't that bad. Living in Tacoma would probably open up your job prospects a bit since you could more easily commute to anywhere south of Seattle.

I do quality assurance and am the training coordinator for a small plasma and blood collection company. We've just been bought by one of the biggest companies in the industry in the country, and they do have a location in Tacoma so I may try to see if some kind of transfer is possible. Otherwise there is a company (BioLife) that does the same thing in Olympia, or Lacey which looks to be right next to Olympia. They may have some kind of openings. And I was just recently certified as a technician by the manufacturer of the machines that most of the plasma collection companies use, so I'm sure that will help.

I have QA experience with in the tissue field as well. I'm really not super worried about my prospects. It's just a big change that I wasn't expecting. I mean, she had the interview yesterday and cried when I got home because she thought she bombed it.

It's just a lot of things we need to think about. Thankfully I have a large emergency fund (about 12k, plus an additional 8 or 9k saved for house and car down payments that I can dip into if need be) and no debt so we should be ok for a while.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Speaking of Vanguard, I haven't been able to check it in a long time. I've been living abroad for a few years and when I went to check on it recently, saw they are now requiring me to have a US mobile number for two step verification. (Before you say "get Google Voice", you need a US number for that too!). Is there any workaround?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'll do it for you :getin:

Real talk, is there anyone who you trust enough in the US to do it? A parent or sibling depending on whether or not they can be trusted to do that?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Speaking of Vanguard, I haven't been able to check it in a long time. I've been living abroad for a few years and when I went to check on it recently, saw they are now requiring me to have a US mobile number for two step verification. (Before you say "get Google Voice", you need a US number for that too!). Is there any workaround?

I used my dad's number and had him send me the code. They have no way to verify it's actually your number or not, so just get someone you trust to help out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is a terrible idea. It's a 1hr30 minute commute each way, assuming you commute outside of rush hour. Move close to your wife's job, don't move halfway between it and a hypothetical job you might have some day.

90min living in Tacoma and commuting to Olympia? Never would've expected that, but I'm on the other side of Seattle so my direct experience is limited.

But yea, if you're something fairly evenly distributed which it sounds like you are, just go with Olympia.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Olympia is a nice little town. One of my best friends is moving there next month to be a math professor so she'll probably cross paths with your wife.

Lots of breweries, some great restaurants, and WOW is the apartment market good. Like, luxury 2 Bedroom at 1,000 SF for $1,200 a month good.

Enjoy the higher income, lower COL, and spend some time looking for new work!

Huh? Olympia and Tacoma are 35 minutes apart. (Soure: I drove to Tacoma yesterday!) It usually takes a bit more than that due to traffic but an hour and a half would be an extremely unusual occurrence, especially in the direction the wife would be traveling, which is the opposite of the normal flow.

Also - hook me up with those luxury apartments because that has not at all been my experience. Haha. I did find a new STUDIO apartment downtown for $1200 a month the last time I moved two years ago...

Anyway, BAE OF PIGS, I live in Olympia so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a line! I love it here.

spinst fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 3, 2019

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It's been a while, but the traffic generally flows into Tacoma in the morning and out in the evening so if you were to get a job there it'd be preferable to live in or near Tacoma and have your wife reverse commute to Olympia. I agree that you shouldn't do this for a hypothetical job

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think GGGC meant Olympia to South side of Seattle (sea-tac).

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You can get a US number with a voip carrier like voip.ms and send and receive SMS from their website. Some websites detect it is a voip carrier and refuse to use it, but I also have that with Google Voice itself.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm effected by the Equifax breach, and I'm trying to figure out whether to go for the much less than $125 check or the credit monitoring. Most people seem to advise the credit monitoring is a better deal, but is it? I sort of feel like between credit monitoring I get for free from some of my credit cards plus websites like Credit Karma and Credit Sesame I'm not sure what value another credit monitoring service would have for me that is more than a check for $0.01.

Do we actually know which product you get if you take the credit monitoring? It sounds like Equifax Complete Premier to me, as one court document says the estimated retail value is $1920, which is $16 a month. If it was Equifax Complete Premier maybe I would take it just for the FICO score. Maybe the million dollar insurance that comes with the monitoring makes it worth it?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
You're right that taking free credit monitoring from the company that leaked your data is dumb as hell considering there are other free credit monitoring services. I would take the $0.01 if only to be a slight pain in their rear end.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Sub Rosa posted:

I'm effected by the Equifax breach, and I'm trying to figure out whether to go for the much less than $125 check or the credit monitoring. Most people seem to advise the credit monitoring is a better deal, but is it? I sort of feel like between credit monitoring I get for free from some of my credit cards plus websites like Credit Karma and Credit Sesame I'm not sure what value another credit monitoring service would have for me that is more than a check for $0.01.

Do we actually know which product you get if you take the credit monitoring? It sounds like Equifax Complete Premier to me, as one court document says the estimated retail value is $1920, which is $16 a month. If it was Equifax Complete Premier maybe I would take it just for the FICO score. Maybe the million dollar insurance that comes with the monitoring makes it worth it?

Just freeze all three credit bureaus, credit monitoring is a dumb service when you can entirely lock down your credit report.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

tumblr hype man posted:

Just freeze all three credit bureaus, credit monitoring is a dumb service when you can entirely lock down your credit report.

Not empty posting, also congratulations to Bae on your big move! Good luck!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dang you Ally, stop lowering my rates.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That fed interest rate cut seemed to hit all the high yield savings rates.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I knew it was coming but still annoying...

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

So, I'm dumb and didn't realize that I apparently will lose the amount I'd set aside in my FSA the moment I leave my current job. I'm scrambling to try to get some dental work and an eye appointment for new glasses booked, but I think I'm still going to have over $1000 that I'd prefer to not just lose. Other than buying a ten year supply of orthotic shoe inserts and nasal strips does anyone have any ideas on how to burn through FSA money?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

So, I'm dumb and didn't realize that I apparently will lose the amount I'd set aside in my FSA the moment I leave my current job. I'm scrambling to try to get some dental work and an eye appointment for new glasses booked, but I think I'm still going to have over $1000 that I'd prefer to not just lose. Other than buying a ten year supply of orthotic shoe inserts and nasal strips does anyone have any ideas on how to burn through FSA money?

10 year condom supply.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

BarbarianElephant posted:

10 year condom supply.

Since when does one box cost $1,000?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Daily contact lenses are ~$500-600 for a year and are rad as hell, though you could get extra pairs of glasses/prescription sunglasses, restock your various eyedrops/bandaids/etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I bought a breast pump and no one can prove I didn't decide not to use it personally upon receipt and have a friend buy it off me at a marginal tax rate discount. AED's are also around that much. Buy a new first aid kit for your house and cars (pre-made ones).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Daily contact lenses are ~$500-600 for a year and are rad as hell, though you could get extra pairs of glasses/prescription sunglasses, restock your various eyedrops/bandaids/etc.

This is a good thought, but unfortunately I tried to switch to contacts a couple years ago and found that my eyes were too sensitive to comfortably wear them all day. I'd actually maxed out my FSA with the intention of getting Lasik early in 2019, but I missed my window since I didn't want to schedule it too close to some international travel I did in the spring.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just do Lasik right now? It is life changing.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Do your surgery now.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Just do Lasik right now? It is life changing.

I'm thinking about it. I didn't want to do it in the summer because light sensitivity and dry eyes are an issue. I will say that the other reason I didn't prioritize it is that my eye issues are just minimal astigmatism so I'm not sure it's as life changing for me as most people.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

H110Hawk posted:

I bought a breast pump and no one can prove I didn't decide not to use it personally upon receipt and have a friend buy it off me at a marginal tax rate discount.
Pumps are covered by Obamacare still, aren't they?

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

moana posted:

One every three years (while expecting). It's also possible they wanted a different model than the one they got or one that's not on the covered list, I guess.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm thinking about it. I didn't want to do it in the summer because light sensitivity and dry eyes are an issue. I will say that the other reason I didn't prioritize it is that my eye issues are just minimal astigmatism so I'm not sure it's as life changing for me as most people.

Not wearing glasses is amazing. I personally had no issue with light sensitivity and dry eyes but ymmw.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

moana posted:

The legal minimum requirement is 1 hand pump. Not even a double manual. (As I recall.)

Most plans do offer a double electric but it's often not the exact one you want if you have any kind of complication.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So what should I do if I suspect someone tried to phish my identity through ziprecruiter? Went to look up the company on the application and noticed their name was different from the one I'd applied to on the site. Kind of odd so I did a quick google search of the address on the form, it turned out to be the house of some registered child molester in the Nevada desert, same with his phone number. The name he was using appeared to be his first name and the last name of someone living with him. Forwarded the email to the report emails on the FTC's website, but can I do anything else?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

super sweet best pal posted:

So what should I do if I suspect someone tried to phish my identity through ziprecruiter? Went to look up the company on the application and noticed their name was different from the one I'd applied to on the site. Kind of odd so I did a quick google search of the address on the form, it turned out to be the house of some registered child molester in the Nevada desert, same with his phone number. The name he was using appeared to be his first name and the last name of someone living with him. Forwarded the email to the report emails on the FTC's website, but can I do anything else?

bring this to the legal questions thread too, perhaps.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Does anyone have any experience using Wealthfront/Bettermint/etc? I have a friend/coworker who is pretty clueless. I've offered some suggestions, but I'm not willing to hold his hand step by step, and he understandably wants advice from someone who isn't just some random guy at work.

My understanding of those companies is that they offer good basic investing advice for a reasonable fee that you can avoid if you know what you're doing, but this person doesn't.

Are they privacy nightmares a la Mint? What exactly do they offer? Is it a Mint clone with some investing stuff tacked on? Do they offer anything in the budgeting realm? Are they going to sell his data to an army of whole life insurance salesmen?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Grumpwagon posted:

Does anyone have any experience using Wealthfront/Bettermint/etc? I have a friend/coworker who is pretty clueless. I've offered some suggestions, but I'm not willing to hold his hand step by step, and he understandably wants advice from someone who isn't just some random guy at work.

My understanding of those companies is that they offer good basic investing advice for a reasonable fee that you can avoid if you know what you're doing, but this person doesn't.

Are they privacy nightmares a la Mint? What exactly do they offer? Is it a Mint clone with some investing stuff tacked on? Do they offer anything in the budgeting realm? Are they going to sell his data to an army of whole life insurance salesmen?
Imo he would do better to use Vanguard's advisory services. Roboadvisors overstate their alpha based on short term tax loss harvesting strategies. Vanguard will give decent human advice at reasonable prices.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My boss is leaving our group, and I got word today that we're going to do a reorg and part of that entails me being promoted to management and given a team to deal with all materials and procurement analytics and processes. I just got promoted 4 months ago after almost 4 years in an analyst role to program management, so I have a project that will take most of my time for the next couple months anyway.

But I can't talk to anyone about this until it's announced on Tuesday, so there now I've told someone the secret.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

No Butt Stuff posted:

My boss is leaving our group, and I got word today that we're going to do a reorg and part of that entails me being promoted to management and given a team to deal with all materials and procurement analytics and processes. I just got promoted 4 months ago after almost 4 years in an analyst role to program management, so I have a project that will take most of my time for the next couple months anyway.

But I can't talk to anyone about this until it's announced on Tuesday, so there now I've told someone the secret.

Make sure you get PAAAAID but otherwise congratulations!!!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Thanks. Yeah, gonna have that conversation next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Hello friends............... I will be embarking upon a 31-day program to center my finances around my values based on The Simple Dollar.

My family had/has money but never talks about it, and my fiancée has never had money, so we're figuring out our own poo poo. Everything is going smoothly and mostly under budget so far, but I imagine we could be doing much better at dialing in tax withholding, retirement deposits, paying off her debts, etc. She never thought she would be able to retire, so I think to her anything better than that is a win. Upcoming expenses: trip to Hawaii in Oct 2019, wedding in May 2020, both paid in cash. After that we'll see?????

Thanks to BFC for all the laffs, good times, and retirement savings advice 0:)