Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Might I remind you that parrots currently in existence cannot fit their open beak around your skull.

Good point but its not for lack of trying!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb, Destroyer of Seeb.
Serra is moulting, so she is getting daily showers to help with the painful new feathers coming in.

She likes to pretend she is a borb birb -

Then gives the most adorable side eye she can muster -

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/2cxvNsa.mp4

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Oh my god this smug motherfucker. Just struts back into frame, what a perfect cockatoo.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Oh my god this smug motherfucker. Just struts back into frame, what a perfect cockatoo.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cluncho McChunk posted:

Textbook definition of Alpha.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Cluncho McChunk posted:

That is what Trevor *thinks* he is :(

I swear Cricket and I just watch him sometimes and I'll say ..." what a little badass he thinks he is" lol She sits there and looks at me and goes "Yeaaaaaaaah". I do think GCC are just cockatoos shoved in a tiny body.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm a bad person for finding the pigeon's reaction hilarious. :saddowns:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Disco Salmon posted:

That is what Trevor *thinks* he is :(

I swear Cricket and I just watch him sometimes and I'll say ..." what a little badass he thinks he is" lol She sits there and looks at me and goes "Yeaaaaaaaah". I do think GCC are just cockatoos shoved in a tiny body.

Oh for sure. Amadeus and Charlemagne were both sitting on top of my monitor yesterday and Ama was having a TOUGH GUY day. They were on their respective sides and I had my hand blocking between them since he was clearly being untrustworthy, so he kept racing up to it and doing that really TOUGH cuddle, you know. All crazy-poofy and ducking his body along my fingers and going HISSHISSHISS.

Poor Charlie just sat far away on his side staring with his tummy feathers quivering anxiously.

As soon as Ama got himself under control monitor time was gracefully ended, as Ama is the reason they can't have nice things.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Pookah posted:

Budgies are simultaeously the the best and the worst birds - look at that obnoxious little kickin' leg

Crossposting from PYF:

Torquemadras posted:

This bad boi is about to ruffle some feathers

You wanna RUMBLE

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

redgubbinz posted:

Crossposting from PYF:

You wanna RUMBLE

omg I love this drawing :) Makes me lol in rl!! Budgies and GCCs need to be in west side story outfits and make snapping sounds as they rumble tho ...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

wholesome

https://nypost.com/2019/05/10/worlds-first-bird-brain-surgery-performed-on-parrot/

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/foxfeather/status/1159539195318341633

https://twitter.com/foxfeather/status/1159539941367529474

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

This is 100% what Auri does.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

So, as you know, I've had issues with Serra being a two year old hormonal egg beast. How did I fix it? I put eggcrates on the bottom of her cage. She can chew them up, but they distract her from laying eggs. So far, it has worked.

Today, while Serra was hanging out with me while I waited for my legs to work, she reverted to her old ways. She dove, headfirst, into this gap between the headboard and my pillow.

Look at how smug she looks. :derptiel:

P. S. I should figure out a way to sell my "egg crate" solution as a product. :downs:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I know there's birth control implants you can get for chickens to stop them laying when its starting to impact their health, is there something equivalent for tiels?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Faerie Fortune posted:

I know there's birth control implants you can get for chickens to stop them laying when its starting to impact their health, is there something equivalent for tiels?

I know what you mean!! My vet actually said there are tiny little hormonal beads that go under the skin that are used for parrots who are overhappy with egglaying. I don't know the name of it, but it is kinda like a microchip. She was telling me about a few birds who had it done and they seem to be good with it! I think the parrot has to meet a certain weight tho in order to do it.

I *REALLY* hope Cricket never does that, but if she does I am hoping she can get that little bead. I rather would deal with a pissed off bird than an egg layer, tbh.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Serra gets her year two checkup in October, and I'm sure we will be talking about it.

Luckily, the egg crate thing has improved her attitude 100%. But, she still grabs a chance to nest if it presents itself.

The "male" cockatiel I had in the 90's would lay nine eggs. Serra just does a couple when she fancies it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Proof that parrots are falcons' closest relatives.

re: bird birth control there is also a shot. Lupron I think.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/darth/status/991043546609168384

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Faerie Fortune posted:

That's suprelorin and it worked like a charm on Crouton. She loves to lay eggs but also has ??weird internal reproductive organs?? which make it painful for her to lay eggs so she gets the implant every year. The lupron shot is also an option but you need to get it every six or so weeks instead of every six months to a year like the suprelorin implant so it can end up being more expensive overall.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have discovered that there are bird crazies even in video games.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Word of Lowtax represent! :pgi:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

Word of Lowtax represent! :pgi:

Squawking is a bannable offense.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
a pleasing and wholesome twitter

https://twitter.com/ParrotOfTheDay

edit: there they go
https://twitter.com/nrnsh/status/1159079135014076417

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 10, 2019

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

GoldStandardConure posted:

Squawking is a bannable offense.

Wait really? I obviously haven't played in eons

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

Wait really? I obviously haven't played in eons

I haven't played since the days of closed/open beta, but yeah it became a thing that could get you in trouble because pubbies complained and it was considered "spamming" for everyone to yell out squawk in battle

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I was leaving food for the crows that nested in the parking lot at work, and now that the chicks have fledged there's a family of four happy crows who tend to appear if I loiter in the parking lot for any length of time.

It's great and I regret nothing.

But I think they know which car is mine.

The hood was also covered by a lot of little bits of grass seeds from the nearby empty lot. I think they may have been sitting on my car, waiting for me to come out of work. I took it through the wash on the way home, no harm done.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

I was leaving food for the crows that nested in the parking lot at work, and now that the chicks have fledged there's a family of four happy crows who tend to appear if I loiter in the parking lot for any length of time.

The hood was also covered by a lot of little bits of grass seeds from the nearby empty lot. I think they may have been sitting on my car, waiting for me to come out of work. I took it through the wash on the way home, no harm done.

To be fair, I too crap on every Buick I see.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

To be fair, I too crap on every Buick I see.

Oooh, fighting words.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

RoboRodent posted:

Teach them to crap on your boss' car

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

So, similarly to how Amadeus refers to himself as Bird and to me as Baby, he seems to have given Charlemagne a name, and that name is Pretty. :3: This is significant because he has never had a name for anyone or anything besides the two of us before! It's always been Baby, Bird, or for literally everything/everyone else, the catch-all term of Cutie. But he's started saying "Pretty" when Charlie is trying to get my attention, or when he's first let out of his cage, or sometimes just if he's out of Ama's line of sight and Amadeus wants to be moved somewhere he can see him. Today Ama was grooming on the computer monitor when Charlie was allowed to step up onto the other side. Ama briefly glanced up from his work, said "Pretty," and went back to what he was doing. (Charlemagne gave him a little conure trill in reply.)

I'm like, genuinely delighted by this, because more than anything this indicates to me they've developed an actual bond and are pleased by each other's company while I'm not home. I assume Ama picked Pretty because it's the word he knows closest to the phonetics of "Charlie," but I also like the implication that he thinks Charlemagne is a very handsome bird :lol:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

So, similarly to how Amadeus refers to himself as Bird and to me as Baby, he seems to have given Charlemagne a name, and that name is Pretty. :3: This is significant because he has never had a name for anyone or anything besides the two of us before! It's always been Baby, Bird, or for literally everything/everyone else, the catch-all term of Cutie. But he's started saying "Pretty" when Charlie is trying to get my attention, or when he's first let out of his cage, or sometimes just if he's out of Ama's line of sight and Amadeus wants to be moved somewhere he can see him. Today Ama was grooming on the computer monitor when Charlie was allowed to step up onto the other side. Ama briefly glanced up from his work, said "Pretty," and went back to what he was doing. (Charlemagne gave him a little conure trill in reply.)

I'm like, genuinely delighted by this, because more than anything this indicates to me they've developed an actual bond and are pleased by each other's company while I'm not home. I assume Ama picked Pretty because it's the word he knows closest to the phonetics of "Charlie," but I also like the implication that he thinks Charlemagne is a very handsome bird :lol:

Oh My God this is so adorable and fantastic.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Your life with your birds is ridiculous and I love it so much :kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm blown away by how communicative they have both become, and honestly it makes me wonder if Ama's missed having the company of another bird. He adored my cockatiel.

If that's the case I'm glad he has the company now. :3:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Literally A Bird: the new full length motion picture by Studio Ghibli

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmbo

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That is probably the most adorable thing I have ever heard :)

I wish my two got along half as well as yours do...I don't think Trev has given a name to Cricket, or vice versa. I do see her leaning over to him saying "NOT OK STOP IT" so maybe that is his name? lol, Probably not....I think she simply tolerates him as a family but wants nothing to do with him.

Funny thing is, if she gets hold of his tail, she tries to preen it! Then she looks at him and does the equivalent of "EWWWWWWWWW It's yours??? bleh!!!"

My mom said she always hoped my kids would be like me and my brother... sad thing I think she might be right, only with feathered ones lol

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I would not be shocked if Cricket and Trevor become friends at some point, maybe not besties as they will continue to need to share the precious Disco Salmon resource, but friends! It took Ama and Charlie two years to get here :3: Your bird stories remind me of mine, except both of your birds are Extremely Conure from the sounds of it and I only have one of those :laffo:

Especially that tail preening story, oh man. What a conure thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Aww @ Ama. :3:

When Pesto wants scritches he goes up to his reflection and makes his cheeks go fluffy and presses them up against the mirror. It's kind of sad, really. He's getting sort of closer with me. He'd still rather be doing his own thing but I taught him "kiss kiss" (he kisses my nose when I say that).

I've been picking him wild grass seed heads to much on every day in addition to his normal fare. I'm just going to assume that wild grasses are a healthier alternative to farm grown crops just because millet and such is grown with human consumption in mind and has been bred to reflect that (increased grain size with a greater ratio of starch to other nutrient content, whereas the wild grasses in varying stages of ripeness would provide a greater range of nutritional content.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 12, 2019