Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Because really good QA people are impossible to find, and really bad QA people are indistinguishable from call center employees?

Infosec people went through this route but kept higher pay for the most part. Its baffling.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I always enjoy the "Why are you doing your work wrong in the first place? Are you that incompetent?" pushback against getting dedicated QA people.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Holy gently caress I hope I just pushed up the final unit test fix. This is all I've been doing for 9 hours today :(

The other bug fix we were waiting on fundamentally altered how prescriptions were associated with cases, and the fallout throughout our code base has been pretty sizable. The actual code fixes were pretty simple, just updating the tests to set attributes correctly so the new way of retrieving the active prescription was so tedious.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, it only took 2 retries due to these obnoxious flaky tests but IT BUILT SUCCESSFULLY! Time for a stiff drink.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 5, 2019

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I love my QA team, I try to be their advocate and ally....but holy poo poo are QA people hopelessly pedantic sometimes.

QA :downs: - We re-tested this feature and it is still failing. Here is a long-rear end list of steps to reproduce.
Me :confused: - Ok, let me take a look.....Ok so I actually expected this, here's a detailed description of the changes I made and why if you look at the data contained in the test user account you provided you can see my code is functioning perfectly, but there is a known bug with setting this attribute we need to get the expected result. The result you see is in line with what will happen with that attribute being set incorrectly. If you manually edit that value you will see the correct result.
:downs: - But the test case says we do X and we need to see Y.
:confused: - Sure, but right now when you do X, Z happens, so you can't see Y because of a different bug. Here is a manual workaround.
:downs: - But....the test case says we do X and need to see Y.
:confused: - Yes, I understand, but there are two bugs here. If you look at the data associated with your test user, the fix to my specific bug works as expected. We shouldn't revert my code again or delay things because of this OTHER bug that has absolutely nothing to do with my code, you can literally verify my code by just adding one more manual step to your process.
:downs: - But the test case says to do X and expect to see Y. I don't see Y.
:confused: - :bang:

As someone who maintains a manufacturing QA software db, (not qa for software)our inspectors only care whether the product meets the specs or not. If the product is not in spec or doesn't provide expected results its flagged.
Its nothing against software/ production, they are just covering their butt.
Example:
I have an inspector who comes to me to verify the spec every time something fails before they flag it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'm with the QA guy on this one. If your code expects x and the DB provides y, even if that's from a different issue, you need to write into your test steps to check the value and set to x.

Is that lovely? Yes, but tell me a production environment that isn't.

Though he could've got the point after the third time you told him. That parts on him.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

stevewm posted:

This is the stupidest thing..

This vendor's software must be installed in sequential order. So if there is a 20.1, 20.2, 20.3, etc.. You cant just install 20.3. You have to install them all in order, starting with a Major version. Got a little behind and still on 19.2? Welp, have fun installing 19.3, 19.4, 19.5, 20.0, 20.1, 20.2, and 20.3!

They have some strange rules about it too.. If you are on 19.0, you can go straight to 20.0 skipping the ones in between... But if you are on 19.1, you can't. You have to do them all in order. Unless you uninstall 19.1 and start with 20.0 (and loose your quotes in the process).

Additionally, It doesn't auto update, the installer is InstallShield, but none of the common Silent/unattended command line switches work right (it starts and then immediately closes if you use them), installs to C:\, and every version is a 300-400MB download!

Back when I worked for a hospital I once spent 15 hours on a Saturday doing this exact bullshit to upgrade a GI EMR that was 3 years out of date with quarterly releases plus halfway through there was a major DB schema change. It was not a fun day.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Pissing me off: Confluence's editor is a barely-functional piece of poo poo.

My favorite bug is the one where it will keep adding line breaks below a random table whenever you do basically anything.

Add a row to Table A? Let's also add a line break below Table B!
Cut some text from a cell in Table A? That's another line break below B!
Paste this text into Table C? Sound like you need another line break!
Edit a completely unrelated diagram? It's line break time, baby!

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Two weeks ago a directive went out to upgrade software on two lines of printers, as all previous software for those models had software that trashed hard drives. The new software greatly lessened the load on the hard drives, hopefully reducing the volume we have to replace.

Cool, I thought. I was recently granted LPR access on the network and whipped up a script to push the updated software to all 220 affected machines at once. I wrote all of them off, marking them complete. Three of the traveling techs in my area called me to berate me for taking their work.

5 of the machines never came back up.

My team lead went to the account manager, saying that the new software is crashing the machines faster than the old, that it's a bad idea to keep installing. The account manager went to my area services manager, who is from an outside company. He went to his director, also of the outside company, who went to an analyst, also of the outside company. The analyst looked at the software, saw that there was a newer version, released last week, that had notes that it contained "a fix to enable laptop mode to address an issue with many hard drive failings in these products." They then sent out direction to the entire state to update to the latest software, regardless of whether they had been updated before.

I checked the software release notes for the version that I pushed to all our machines two weeks ago, it had the same line. I called the software engineers and asked if this latest software release last week addressed a failing in the software that came with the direction to update, and if so, why wasn't there a communication about that. The engineer I spoke with said that both software versions contained the same fix, that the later software was a re-compile of the same thing, that the communication to update all the machines started with direction to replace the hard drives first, but that got stripped out as it went down the line as a cost saving measure. As it is, these hard drives have been thrashed by the software for years, and updating them just pushed some of them over the edge into the failing state. Updating them all again will only put more of them at risk for failing under another stress test.

How is it that now I, the lowly tech, gets to tell my team lead, the account manager, area services manager, and director, that they were all wrong and someone should have contacted the people who wrote the drat software somewhere in that line?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
:yotj:

Officially getting an offer from the place I interviewed at a couple weeks ago. The process of getting back to me was a bit slower than usual due to people being gone there. Pay is about a 10% increase from my last job. I'm rather excited as I've heard good things about working at this place. Only two downsides are start date isn't until the 26th, and I now have a 30 minute each way commute.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Oyster posted:

....Bureaucratic bullshit...

Good god I am so glad to not work in a large organization. If I had to deal with that amount of crap over a printer software update I would go mad.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Khisanth Magus posted:

:yotj:

Officially getting an offer from the place I interviewed at a couple weeks ago. The process of getting back to me was a bit slower than usual due to people being gone there. Pay is about a 10% increase from my last job. I'm rather excited as I've heard good things about working at this place. Only two downsides are start date isn't until the 26th, and I now have a 30 minute each way commute.

Woo! Congrats!

Hoping to be in the same boat tomorrow. I have my letter of resignation loaded and ready to fire, I know I'm getting an offer (meeting with VP of Engineering tomorrow afternoon finally), just don't want to pull the trigger until I have that signed offer in hand.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just got the offer letter along with the benefits package info. Not surprising that they only have 15 days of leave starting out and no separate sick leave, but other than that I'm pleasantly surprised at some stuff. Christmas Eve through New Year's is a company holiday. They have a non-hdhp health insurance plan. Their dental is better than at my last job, although like all dental it has a woefully low yearly maximum if you need major stuff like my wife does.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

stevewm posted:

Good god I am so glad to not work in a large organization. If I had to deal with that amount of crap over a printer software update I would go mad.

Ours is much simpler: if the security team don't like something, they ban it and gently caress anyone and their requirements.

New laptops were issued and last step was for the desktop support team to Teamviewer in and install the printer/scanner software for all the remote users. I was the first.
Except software bundled with crapware is banned, so no installing the Brother native scanner app.
No problem: the scanner/printer drivers are available separately. Fine for printing, but how do you scan? As in our build of Win10, the native Windows scan app isn't included.
No problem: download the Windows scan app.....which is only available from the Windows app store.....which is blocked.

Clever workaround from our Desktop tem - Windows Fax and Scan is still available. As they said 'it's not slick, but it does work'
'Thanks guys' sez I 'I don't mind it being ugly as long as I can scan to multi-page pdfs'
'Multi-page pdfs?' sez the desktop guy.
'Yes' sez I, 'that's the required format for the remote users to use'

'Oh' sez a very dispirited desktop guy as he now realises what his future holds and it isn't pretty.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
one of my projects is at a halt due to a 3 year old bug, customer is demanding daily updates.

we may have a solution but i am waiting for a guy in slovakia to confirm that it will work through a different API before i can present it as a solution to my customer. This solution requires a tech resource, which on this project is a 3rd party contractor. Unfortunately i cannot bring him in because there is a financial hold with the customer and they will not issue a PO to him.

if i get the confirmation tomorrow that it will work my next update to the CIO is going to be a juicy one.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Shut up Meg posted:

Scan to PDF software

I've had consistent luck using pdf24 for sites too small to have a fancy-pants scan-to-email printer. Crap interface, but free, no horrible drawbacks, and comes in .msi flavor.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 7, 2019

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Oooh, today we're running series 486. I'll do things at 66Mhz in tribute.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
email from the principal Friday morning: hey I have a presentation to do in the gym on Wednesday, can you make sure my computer can connect to the projector and that all the A/V stuff works?

me: your gym is currently closed because maintenance is doing their general cleaning and stripping and waxing the floors. I spoke with maintenance staff, and they say that the soonest I - or anyone - can get in there is Wednesday morning, right before your presentation. You might want to consider another location?

*days go by*

email from the principal on Tuesday morning: hey so is everything ready yet

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

nominal posted:

email from the principal Friday morning: hey I have a presentation to do in the gym on Wednesday, can you make sure my computer can connect to the projector and that all the A/V stuff works?

me: your gym is currently closed because maintenance is doing their general cleaning and stripping and waxing the floors. I spoke with maintenance staff, and they say that the soonest I - or anyone - can get in there is Wednesday morning, right before your presentation. You might want to consider another location?

*days go by*

I see I'm not the only one with an illiterate superior

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

nominal posted:

*days go by*

Principal wants you to rush into the gym on Wednesday and get everything prepared :v:

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

tactlessbastard posted:

I see I'm not the only one with an illiterate superior
The most astounding part is that the gym is literally right next door to her office. I am holed up in the basement on the other end of the building - at nearly the farthest possible point I can be from the gym and still be inside the building - so it's weird that she... doesn't know.

Anyway, she ended up yelling at the custodians right as they were about to dump another coat of wax on the floor, chased them out of the gym, got her stuff set up, and then I managed to figure out how the A/V stuff works even though I've never seen it before and am not the A/V tech but in retrospect god drat it I guess I am now

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

nominal posted:

so it's weird that she... doesn't know.

Sounds to me like she knows but just doesn't care

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Pictured: me trying to conduct that interview last Friday.

I'm so loving bored in this interminable meeting about the next country we're releasing into. Somehow we've done 4 of these and yet this still hasn't been implemented in a scaleable way that lets us just add another loving country and not have to do 2 months of development work each time :psyboom:

Product owners never get that spending the time to do it the right way now (or the last 4 times...) saves us way more time later. We have a timeline of the next like 6 countries we're going to next, I don't get it.

Just killing time until the big meeting at 3. I'm also meeting with that other company that resurrected my application directly after, so I should finally have some hard data from both at last.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Not pissing me off today:

Got the Unifi controller completely updated today and all the APs updated. Its nice to finally see everything updated and on the same version.

Ditched my last UAP-ACv2 today so I could finally update the controller....

For those not aware, Ubiquiti basically abandoned the older UAP-ACv1/v2 devices (the older square ones) due to constant problems. They also made the controller software not support them anymore, unless you stick with a older version. A dick move on Ubiquiti's part. But oh well. Thankfully I only had 2 of those lovely ones.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

nominal posted:

then I managed to figure out how the A/V stuff works even though I've never seen it before and am not the A/V tech but in retrospect god drat it I guess I am now

Congratulations! By demonstrating your ability to understand “A/V stuff” you have now assigned yourself all A/V duties in perpetuity. All other parties’ responsibility of competence is obviated.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

Congratulations! By demonstrating your ability to understand “A/V stuff” you have now assigned yourself all A/V duties in perpetuity. All other parties’ responsibility of competence is obviated.

This 'promotion' does not come with a raise or any additional appreciation of your work.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: AT&T

- Not the first time has pushed unannounced updates to a DSL modem that changed/reset the applied settings
- Insists the problem must be on our end because they can see the modem is online
- "We can have a tech out tomorrow sometime between 8AM and 5PM"
- Sends a tech who knows literally no networking concepts
- Tech immediately declares connectivity is our problem because it works when directly plugging into the modem
- :newlol: I don't know how you keep track of all those numbers
:confused: ...you mean IP addresses?
:newlol: Yeah those!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's about one ISP we work with that offers IPv6 dual stacked without having to be asked for it, and can competently configure their equipment to turn it up. There's maybe six other providers that don't know what IPv6 is, or claim that they used to offer it but there's no demand anymore, and then one offers IPv6 but you have to ask, and every time they tell you they've allocated a /64 to our side of their managed CPE and I have to go back and explain that I need a larger allocation and also need to tell them the next hop address for the subnet.

I hate this cycle we're in where nobody asks for IPv6 so nobody knows how it works, so nobody asks for it. It's a fundamental shift away from just shoving a subnet on the customer-facing interfaces and letting people NAT, though.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

klosterdev posted:

- Not the first time has pushed unannounced updates to a DSL modem that changed/reset the applied settings

Absolute worst part of being forced to use their poo poo equipment on UVerse... (though there are ways around it these days).

We used to have a couple store locations that where forced to use UVerse. We had to set the modem in "DMZ Plus" mode... Every couple months they would send an update to the modem that would reset all the settings to default, turning off DMSPlus and breaking our VPNs. Also, later PACE model modems did this thing where they hosed with IPSec preventing ESP packets from passing. The only way to get a IPSec tunnel up was to switch to AH only mode (AH = authentication only, no encryption). Or find a specific combination of IPSec settings that the modem wouldn't gently caress with. (IKEv1, 3DES/3DES, No PFS. Any other combination or IKEv2 would get blocked by the modem)

I was never so happy to get rid of a ISP more than I was with AT&T.

And then we acquired 2 stores that had AT&T :mad:.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's pretty incredible that they don't offer a business tier "no seriously stop loving with my service" option. I guess they want to sell you fibre circuits.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

klosterdev posted:

- Insists the problem must be on our end because they can see the modem is online
- "We can have a tech out tomorrow sometime between 8AM and 5PM"
- Sends a tech who knows literally no networking concepts
- Tech immediately declares connectivity is our problem because it works when directly plugging into the modem
- :newlol: I don't know how you keep track of all those numbers
:confused: ...you mean IP addresses?
:newlol: Yeah those!

I'm so glad I have a competent ISP

They recently upgraded one of my locations to fiber, conversion mostly went off without a hitch, except none of our computers could resolve websites, they would fail-hang at resolving DNS. But if the tech plugged in his own laptop everything worked fine. Any other ISP would have abandoned us at this point saying "modem works internal issue" but not this guy. He gets on the phone with his supervisor and together they figure out that our static IP hadn't been provisioned to work with the new modem yet, even though it had been requested along with the upgrade work order. 10 minutes later everything was working properly.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

It's pretty incredible that they don't offer a business tier "no seriously stop loving with my service" option. I guess they want to sell you fibre circuits.

Oh they do... except its exactly the same service and equipment as offered to "home" customers, except you pay more for it, because, well.... gently caress you, your a business and can just pay more! The only difference is "business support", but its debatable if that's actually better.

ATT UVerse is unique in that they use 802.11x with certificates for authentication. They have 2 forms of service, fiber to the premises, and fiber to the node (delivered via VDSL). You can bypass their "gateway" on the FTTP version if you have your own router that is able to redirect/proxy the 802.11x requests to their gateway. (https://community.ui.com/stories/Bypassing-ATandT-Fiber-Gateway-with-Edgerouter-Lite-newbie-version/e494f292-a2d0-4d1b-be7d-858f340b14b4) but its complicated. I don't think anyone has done the same with the VDSL version.

I investigated it when I thought we where going to be stuck with ATT at our 2 new stores, but luckily I found a local fiber ISP at one location, and then found out Comcast serviced the other location. I told ATT to go pound sand, for the second time.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

For those not aware, Ubiquiti basically abandoned the older UAP-ACv1/v2 devices (the older square ones) due to constant problems. They also made the controller software not support them anymore, unless you stick with a older version. A dick move on Ubiquiti's part. But oh well. Thankfully I only had 2 of those lovely ones.

I mean, this is pretty standard practice for a lot of AP vendors. I had to play "find the controller software version new enough to support the new APs, yet old enough to still support existing APs" for a customer with a Cisco WLC a couple weeks ago.

I mean, yeah, usually they have a longer lifecycle, but I don't blame them for dropping support for a 6 year old, problematic AP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People's beef with Ubiquiti over the Gen 1 AC products was that their marketing team made a load of promises, engineering didn't deliver on them, and then they dropped support.

Afaik roaming was never working on them.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I mean, this is pretty standard practice for a lot of AP vendors. I had to play "find the controller software version new enough to support the new APs, yet old enough to still support existing APs" for a customer with a Cisco WLC a couple weeks ago.

I mean, yeah, usually they have a longer lifecycle, but I don't blame them for dropping support for a 6 year old, problematic AP.

Oddly enough they still support their very first Unifi AP! The UAP and UAP-LR. Which we still have a few of.

I really need to get around to replacing those one day. If only they didn't require a scissor lift to reach...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo pissing / not pissing me off:

(Totally not related to SH/SC)

After fifteen phone calls (I checked) each taking an average of 35 minutes

After six tech on-site (and one randomly cancelled) visits

After four different part installations

I have a new compressor in my fridge and the grinding noise is gone. :unsmith:

I originally called LG about this issue and proposed that the compressor was making a grinding noise back in April. Fifteen weeks ago.

Most recent tech: “well, I guess it was the compressor after all.”

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Pissing me off today: 2 weeks later and this rushed product release is still full of bugs. I've squashed so many and QA keeps discovering more. It's almost like half-assedly loving with our core product and prescription systems like this instead of doing a very necessary refactor was not advisable in a massive, monolithic legacy code repo.

It's a game of whack-a-mole right now. An entire product kind couldn't even place an order at first. Now it can, but that somehow broke the prescription approval system in the provider portal. Then that got fixed, but now unapproved prescriptions just disappeared from the case in staff portal. I have money riding on the assertion that eventually we will complete the circle and one of these fixes will reintroduce the original bug.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
This guy at work with low self esteem who keeps hunting for gotchas when reviewing my code. It'd be fine if half of them weren't outright wrong or inconsequential. I get it dude, we all have low self esteem, we're loving software engineers for gently caress's sake; but can you please stop trying to compensate by always trying to look so loving clever?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
A fuckload of calls came in... Every store called the corp. office nearly simultaneously.

Our card processors' gateway went down right in the middle of one of the busiest times of day. How fun.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Four days later printing is restored to all 30 of our locations!

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Joda posted:

This guy at work with low self esteem who keeps hunting for gotchas when reviewing my code. It'd be fine if half of them weren't outright wrong or inconsequential. I get it dude, we all have low self esteem, we're loving software engineers for gently caress's sake; but can you please stop trying to compensate by always trying to look so loving clever?

Fuckface at my job is like this, only instead of low self esteem he's just on the spectrum and thinks he's genuinely smarter than everyone else at the company.

My interim team lead hates his rear end for this right now. We're scrambling to fix all these bugs, and he pops into code reviews and blocks merging by adding a "Changes Requested" review to nitpick the most pointless poo poo. We don't care, we just need to fix this, you can make it pretty later if you want, but otherwise gently caress off and stop blocking us (he'd also drop a review like that then gently caress off to do whatever, so we'd have to wait hours to get it changed or removed during which time github locks you out of merging).