Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
From about 5th grade on all of my math teachers were also athletic coaches. They would just read the book verbatim and then grade against the answer sheets in the teachers edition of the book.

I am not good at math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Shamino posted:

From about 5th grade on all of my math teachers were also athletic coaches. They would just read the book verbatim and then grade against the answer sheets in the teachers edition of the book.

I am not good at math.

I remember the year I started really falling behind in math: 7th grade, taught by the loving golf coach.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I stopped at high school calculus because my principal taught it, had just learned it over the summer, and frequently had to take the class to meet with her teacher because she didn't understand it.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Catholic schools in the early-early 90's had literal nuns laying the foundations for kids' literacy in math. I learned to add & subtract numbers by counting imaginary dots, one by one.

The dots were arranged like this:

For each number you come across, you tap your pencil on each dot and double-dot while counting up or down in your head. "one, two, three, four, five, tap, tap, tap, tap..." This process is excruciatingly slow, and the only release was moving on to memorize multiplication tables. Those loving flash card games.

I did this "counting by dots" method up through college. I was an engineering major.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I stopped at high school calculus because my principal taught it, had just learned it over the summer, and frequently had to take the class to meet with her teacher because she didn't understand it.

Your first calculus class is where you should finally be deriving all those geometry formulas that seemed to drop out of thin air by integrating over the shape, and so on.

Now that you know how to do an integral you can actually see why the area of a sphere is 4/3πr^3 by integrating over the shape of a sphere, and so on.

A bad calc101 class is a shame.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I swear I learned more about budgeting from playing X-COM than I ever did from school.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Your first calculus class is where you should finally be deriving all those geometry formulas that seemed to drop out of thin air by integrating over the shape, and so on.

Now that you know how to do an integral you can actually see why the area of a sphere is 4/3πr^3 by integrating over the shape of a sphere, and so on.

A bad calc101 class is a shame.

you typically don't do integrations over 3D objects until a third or fourth semester course

that is not introductory calc material at all

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

NoWake posted:

Catholic schools in the early-early 90's had literal nuns laying the foundations for kids' literacy in math. I learned to add & subtract numbers by counting imaginary dots, one by one.

For each number you come across, you tap your pencil on each dot and double-dot while counting up or down in your head. "one, two, three, four, five, tap, tap, tap, tap..." This process is excruciatingly slow, and the only release was moving on to memorize multiplication tables. Those loving flash card games.

I did this "counting by dots" method up through college. I was an engineering major.

What in the holy hell is this?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I swear I learned more about budgeting from playing X-COM than I ever did from school.

I learned about the power of small percentages from Diablo II. Turns out having 1% life steal on your barbarian who hits a million times a minute is actually a lot!

josh2112
Jul 25, 2007
Is that a meteor? That's a cool meteor.

Six of these in the fridge, one containing cool whip, the other five containing leftovers

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

josh2112 posted:

Six of these in the fridge, one containing cool whip, the other five containing leftovers

My grandma does this. My dad has so many of those due to her bringing food over sometimes.

It's a habit I picked up too. Why throw away a perfectly usable container?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

NoWake posted:

i'm laughing so hard at this, holy poo poo lol. what loving lunatic came up with this diamond

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I went to public school and I remember something similar to that from when I was in like 1st or 2nd grade (mid 80's) but it was just for basic addition and it was definitely not taught after that point. may have just been an individual teacher's idea not an official school curriculum thing

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Framboise posted:

My grandma does this. My dad has so many of those due to her bringing food over sometimes.

It's a habit I picked up too. Why throw away a perfectly usable container?

because you already have two dozen of them in the pantry

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

because you already have two dozen of them in the pantry

Meh. They're not super durable, so you have more when they inevitably break.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

and more to give leftovers to the grandkids!

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
But like how much Cool Whip does one household need over the course of a normal week? Why are you buying and consuming so much Cool Whip that you have a surplus of empty Cool Whip containers to fill with leftovers?

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Just buy a commercial whip cream dispenser for $40 and make your own with good milk/creamwr and it'll taste 1000x better. Also you can huff the nitrogen cartridges for a good time.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I don't think it's a boomer thing to reuse plastic containers. I do it with big Greek yogurt containers, which sane people should go through at a much faster rate than Cool Whip.

My mom, although technically a boomer I guess, is not one in spirit because she forbade poo poo like Cool Whip in the house. I don't think I've ever had it. Is it just fake whipped cream?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
cool whip is better than whipped cream.

fight me

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nothing wrong with reusing containers, but I don't see a point if you already have a small set of tupperware.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Shamino posted:

Just buy a commercial whip cream dispenser for $40 and make your own with good milk/creamwr and it'll taste 1000x better. Also you can huff the nitrogen cartridges for a good time.

nitrous oxide, not nitrogen

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Nothing wrong with reusing containers, but I don't see a point if you already have a small set of tupperware.

It's useful for dumping leftovers off on dinner guests since you don't have to worry about getting the container back. My in laws do this a lot with sour cream tubs and stuff.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You use them for things that aren't food. You keep your food in the tupperware.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

DorkusMalorkus posted:

But like how much Cool Whip does one household need over the course of a normal week? Why are you buying and consuming so much Cool Whip that you have a surplus of empty Cool Whip containers to fill with leftovers?

Grandma likes making pie okay

Full disclosure: I don't like cool whip much. The real stuff kicks its rear end in every way

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

josh2112 posted:

When you consider all the plastic poo poo that get thrown away, re-using these isn't horrible. They are also good to store kid's craft supplies in.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

josh2112 posted:

I grew up with a Mexican babysitter. I can only ever imagine pickled jalapenos in that container.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
My mother in law thinks that I am constantly being starved so she always makes large batches of beef stew and pho everytime we visit. We've had to get a bin from Costco just to put all the takeout containers of food she forces on us every time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Dameius posted:

My mother in law thinks that I am constantly being starved so she always makes large batches of beef stew and pho everytime we visit. We've had to get a bin from Costco just to put all the takeout containers of food she forces on us every time.

This is the opposite of a problem. Give me all that homemade pho.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Lactose Is Wack posted:

you typically don't do integrations over 3D objects until a third or fourth semester course

I did this in high school calc 1, the math teacher and the physics coordinated their classes so we could learn something in the calculus class, then the physics class could use it to do something “practical”

Finding electric field strength by calculating the flux through a gaussian surface ( by integrating over a 3d shape) for example.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Lactose Is Wack posted:

we actually had polynomial division in kindergarten and by grade 4 we derived fourier transformation, shame if it's hard for you :smuggo:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
my school had math classes too!! (:

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can learn all that stuff way easier just playing around in a 3d game engine

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Framboise posted:

This is the opposite of a problem. Give me all that homemade pho.

Nah. That is lunch and dinner for two for 10 days. I need it, apparently I am starving.

We do have a ton of containers to spare, though.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Lord Stimperor posted:

we actually had polynomial division in kindergarten and by grade 4 we derived fourier transformation, shame if it's hard for you :smuggo:
When I was a paid math tutor, I taught calculus to high school freshmen because I didn't remember the dumb way to calculate maximum and minimum values for polynomials they teach in early algebra.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
12th grade pre calc class, 1991-92. Everyone in the class has been in AP for most of their time in school but everyone has a D or worse in this one class.
Finally one kid spoke up and said, "I don't think you can teach. This entire room is filled with AP honor roll students but we all have D's. Sounds like it's the teacher, not the students".
He got sent to the office and his parents called. His parents asked the principal the same thing. As far as I know she did not return the following year.

We had coaches teach at my high school but they mostly taught the classes for kids with "behavioral issues".

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
It really depends. I've known faculty that were a teacher who happens to take up coaching in one of the school's local teams. That isn't going to be the same as, say, a Coach McGuirk trying to teach Calculus.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I see we're at the point in the discussion of public education where a bunch of computer programmers show up to shrug their shoulders and say "my education (in a wealthy, overwhelmingly white suburban school district) was fine, what's the problem?"

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bonzo posted:

12th grade pre calc class, 1991-92. Everyone in the class has been in AP for most of their time in school but everyone has a D or worse in this one class.
Finally one kid spoke up and said, "I don't think you can teach. This entire room is filled with AP honor roll students but we all have D's. Sounds like it's the teacher, not the students".
He got sent to the office and his parents called. His parents asked the principal the same thing. As far as I know she did not return the following year.

We had coaches teach at my high school but they mostly taught the classes for kids with "behavioral issues".

This reminds me of when a professor goes "None of you will get above x grade in my class" as if that's not an awful reflection of their teaching ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Someone a few weeks back said that boomers think that Dirty Harry is the best kind of cop and that more police should act like him.

Whelp

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1159614027905081347?s=19