Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
not a fan of the new android auto, it's basically a copy of carplay where I have to go through an extra screen to get to anything now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The player UI updates are massively improved. There's so much better information density and readability (yay for actual time codes while retaining a visual progress indicator.) The album art presentation is a lot cleaner too. Having next turn always on the screen even when in a player is a huge improvement too.

I do think you need to be able to 'pin' apps to the top of the list. Switching between Play Books, Youtube Music, and Pocketcasts is enough to send one of them back to the alphabetical list once the auto launched navigation is taken into account (if you switch between Waze and Maps). I also think I should have the ability to make the player the focus on audio on connect rather than maps since I rarely care about navigation unless I'm going somewhere new.

Basically, navigation apps should be their own de-focused category on the launcher since they launch automatically.

I'm glad the old "home" is gone as it was mainly useless. I don't need current weather conditions, my car already has an external temp indicator and I can see if it's sunny or raining.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hace posted:

not a fan of the new android auto, it's basically a copy of carplay where I have to go through an extra screen to get to anything now

I feel like the opposite. I it feels much less tedious to control music apps now, especially from the passenger seat, without having to leave navigation.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
BTW the Huawei P30 Lite seemed like a really nice phone for an average person. Great display, decent battery life, good speakers. I didn't test the camera for myself but it has an ultra-wide lens. You could tell it's a lower spec processor sometimes but it works ok. This is if you're okay buying from a company that's alleged to have stolen a lot of technology and spy on you, but it's a really good price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

The only issue I've had with mine is the oleophobic coating started degrading already. Admittedly, it may have been partially my fault as I was using it while at cardiac rehab and they had very strong wipes for the equipment there and I was going right from wiping down a machine to using the phone. So, it's possible whatever was on those wipes was strong enough to affect the coating. I've since coated the screen with one of those nano-ceramic coatings and it seems to have gotten things to the point where I really don't notice it. The phone is so drat fast though. Going back to the P3 for a little bit (because I got the itch for a smaller phone) was almost torture from a performance perspective.

In other news, the Note 10 will have 25w charging. So the ball's in your court Google, please give us something better than 18w charging on your next device.

Edit: Actually, the Note 10+ is capable of 45w charging (15v@3a). 25w is just the included charger.

15v@3a is one of the PD spec options, I wonder if it will actually negotiate that on USB-PD or if you need a proprietary charger. Android Police says USB-PD is good enough, but I'll be interested to see independent confirmation of that.

For curved-screen phones, I usually use those rubbery polyurethane screen protectors that you squeegee on. Would those not be compatible with the in-screen fingerprint reader?

Looking at T-Mobile reviews for OP7Pro phones, the common complaints seem to be that some have a dud GPS (that would be a deal breaker for me, then again my Pixel 2 Compass is always backwards no matter how much I calibrate) or they register ghost taps. Hopefully I'd be able to catch either of those during the return window...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They work fine, I just hate screen protectors.

https://9to5google.com/2019/08/07/exclusive-google-pixel-4-display-specs-more/

Pixel 4 rumored to have a 90hz display. I'm still not sold on only 6gb of RAM. It SHOULDN'T really need more than that, but why skimp for the prices of these devices?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 7, 2019

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bull3964 posted:

Pixel 4 rumored to have a 90hz display. I'm still not sold on only 6gb of RAM. It SHOULDN'T really need more than that, but why skimp for the prices of these devices?

Will 6GB be more acceptable on the $400 Pixel 4a?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

Will 6GB be more acceptable on the $400 Pixel 4a?

It would, but I doubt that model is getting the 90hz screen

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The news that Sprint might be getting a OnePlus 7 5G version is kinda interesting at least.
That and 50% off the Note 10/10+ on their Flex Lease PreOrder isn't bad either... (Starts at 12AM EST)

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 7, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Are you guys aware that fast charging also kill the battery faster?

Although it's not a big deal if you don't plan to keep it for more than 2 years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

tino posted:

Although it's not a big deal if you don't plan to keep it for more than 2 years.

It doesn't appreciably as long as thermals are kept under control and charge rate backs off once the batteries get above 70% or so charge (which all charging protocols do now.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tino posted:

This isn't 1999. Battery tech is incredibly good now, and poo poo like fast charging or always keeping your device topped up, etc, don't affect your battery life to a noticeable degree.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

CLAM DOWN posted:

This isn't 1999. Battery tech is incredibly good now, and poo poo like fast charging or always keeping your device topped up, etc, don't affect your battery life to a noticeable degree.

I don't care what stat you have, I believe it (until fast charging is standardized for a few more years). This phenomenon also exists in the ebike world. If you have a 5A charger instead of a slow 2A charger, you also degrade the battery faster. Now when you have an ebike, you want to keep it for 5 years or longer. Not so much for phones.

tino fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 8, 2019

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

In other news, the Note 10 will have 25w charging. So the ball's in your court Google, please give us something better than 18w charging on your next device.

Literally one of the things I care about least on the next Pixel. Whatever Google's wired fast charging is is fine, battery life is good on a Pixel 3, and it has wireless charging. I'm glad because, for me, we're pretty far past the time where battery concerns matter even the slightest. All the decent phones last a day and a little, and they (almost) all have some type of quick charging. The amount that you've gone into figuring out the different fast charging hardware makes me lol a little for that reason.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My Pixel XL is dying quickly, but I want to hold out for the Pixel 4. Unfortunately that's in two months or so. I'm on Project Fi - should I pick up a used 3 XL or 3a XL and wait two months and then sell it? Is Swappa still the preferred way to go? Basically want to "rent" a phone until the 4 comes out, though I may stick with it if it's good enough for my needs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sourdough posted:

Literally one of the things I care about least on the next Pixel. Whatever Google's wired fast charging is is fine, battery life is good on a Pixel 3, and it has wireless charging. I'm glad because, for me, we're pretty far past the time where battery concerns matter even the slightest. All the decent phones last a day and a little, and they (almost) all have some type of quick charging. The amount that you've gone into figuring out the different fast charging hardware makes me lol a little for that reason.

Counterpoint. We now have a charging standard that goes from trickle charging all way up to 100 watts and we have devices with batteries exceeding the capacity of tablets 6 years ago. There is no reason to ignore all but two power profiles available when 30w, 45w, and 60w PD chargers are cheap and ubiquitous.

There has not been significant improvements in charging from google devices since the Nexus 5x went USB-C 4 years ago. That's not a great look when you are charging $800+ for devices.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
But why do you need it to charge faster? It's something I haven't cared about in years. I put my phone on the charging pad when I go to bed and take it off when I wake up. My car can go over 100Mph, and I guess a car that goes 200Mph would be technically better, but it would have zero added benefit to me.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

bull3964 posted:

...will they have better memory management? It's not like my current Pixel 3 ever uses the full 4 GB before kicking stuff out, as far as I can tell. -_-

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

butt dickus posted:

But why do you need it to charge faster? It's something I haven't cared about in years. I put my phone on the charging pad when I go to bed and take it off when I wake up. My car can go over 100Mph, and I guess a car that goes 200Mph would be technically better, but it would have zero added benefit to me.

I'd argue that battery life is not there yet for moderate to heavy phone users. My Pixel 3 only lasts for 2/3rds of the day with moderate use. A quick, rapid charge in the middle of the day sets me up for the rest of the evening. But if you're the type whose phone can last 16+ hours without a charge, then yeah, wireless is all you need.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

Because sometimes it's convenient. There have been times when traveling when I've only had 10 minutes or so at an outlet after being off charge for the majority of the day. Getting back 40% of your battery in situations like that is pretty nice.

It's not like there's a downside for including it aside from needing to take more care in thermal design which usually has other benefits anyways.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

In three years I've never come across an instance where faster charging on my Pixel XL 1 would have benefited me. I suppose things can always improve and they will given time but this is just one thing I'll never care about.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Because sometimes it's convenient. There have been times when traveling when I've only had 10 minutes or so at an outlet after being off charge for the majority of the day. Getting back 40% of your battery in situations like that is pretty nice.

Three are the situations I bought a power bank for.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'd rather have a deeper reservoir than fast charging; I'm not carrying a bloody charger and cable everywhere in addition to everything else.

Google needs to explain to me how LG can fit a 3300mAH battery in a 5.7" phone when they can only cram a 2800. Even with 20% loss in capacity, it would still hold almost as much as a new Pixel 4 will.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

Three are the situations I bought a power bank for.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive. My power bank is 30w capable. It's just less time tethered to something external.

In other news Ron pans the Note10/10+

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/08/galaxy-note10-hands-on-samsung-falls-behind-the-competition/

quote:

When I reviewed the OnePlus 7 Pro, I said that the pop-up camera, all-screen design, and high refresh rate display made it feel like something manufacturers will spend the next year chasing. After the Note10 launch, I still feel that way. Samsung needs an answer for its competitors' devices, with faster screen technology and camera solutions that don't intrude on the display. All these companies from China are kicking Samsung's butt, and they're doing so at a lower price point. The Note10 costs a thousand dollars, while a OnePlus 7 Pro is $670. Based on what each device brings to the table, it feels like those price tags should be swapped.

The competition blew past Samsung this year, and the company needs more than a mid-cycle upgrade to keep up. Other than the wide availability and the undoubtedly large marketing budget, I don't see anything special here. Hopefully Samsung has major upgrades in the works for next year's Galaxy S11.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 8, 2019

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
ROG2 is still the best though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The latest 10 beta reserves a very small swipe area for sidebars, and coincidentally it is the same size as the next/previous navigation bar in the Awful app :tinfoil:

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

It would be nice if manufacturers would put bigger batteries in phones, but it seems they always value device thickness over anything else. If we were to get some big leap in energy density, phone manufacturers would just use that to make the batteries physically smaller so they could shave off half a millimeter for the nth time.

I have given up holding out for good battery life and just bought an extra wireless charger for work so that my phone is always topped off. Always be chargin'!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The pop-up camera is stupid as poo poo and any phone with it is a non-starter. I will die on this hill.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It's great actually because it forces manufacturers to make a thick phone which they then can put a big battery in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Having to force your camera out like it's the last fart of catsup in the bottle after the mechanism breaks or gets fouled, great sales pitch imo

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It's far more premium looking than the Pixel 4 forehead imo :shrug:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Incessant Excess posted:

It's far more premium looking than the Pixel 4 forehead imo :shrug:

"Premium look" should not be near the top of anyone's list of priorities when buying a phone. It leads to all the stupid design choices we have now: curved screen edges, thin phones, glass construction.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hooah posted:

"Premium look" should not be near the top of anyone's list of priorities when buying a phone. It leads to all the stupid design choices we have now: curved screen edges, thin phones, glass construction.

Our social biology is so biased towards appearance, we cannot help but endlessly create terribly impractical peacock tails in every aspect of our technological lives.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

The pop-up camera is stupid as poo poo and any phone with it is a non-starter. I will die on this hill.

I use the front camera so so so so so infrequently that I like that I'm not staring at it all the time.

Actually, I don't think I've used the FFC to actually take a picture since I got my OP7P and I think the last time I used the FFC on my Pixel 3 was December.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

hooah posted:

You're right, I misread the post above mine as criticizing the look of the device rather than the durability. Since there are no long term examples yet, I guess only time will tell in that regard.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Anyone that decries front facing cameras as useless should be required to post a selfie.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

tino posted:

This is why Dash [Warp] charging from OnePlus owns, the phone doesn't heat up due to the voltage regulation being done in the charger

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Man, it seems like the tech blog infatuation with Samsung is over, another "Why do we need this?" article on the Note 10.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/08/galaxy-note-10-10-plus-relevance/

quote:

The Note had the stylus, but it also had size, prestige and performance, three areas where the rest of the world has caught up. With the Galaxy S series now matching the Notes feature-for-feature, Samsung needs to find a more compelling reason than a pen for them to continue existing. If the company is smart, it'll retire the Note next fall, and let the Fold take its place as the runaway device at the very top of its mobile lineup. Otherwise, we'll just be wondering why it's still here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Anyone that decries front facing cameras as useless should be required to post a selfie.

I'm highly tempted to make this a thread rule, you neanderthals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm highly tempted to make this a thread rule, you neanderthals.
Why do you want to punish everyone?