Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Trying to win affluent, suburban Republicans away from Trump: good, even if you throw blue-collar voters under the bus.

Trying to win alienated, credulous young men away from the far-right: bad, they will infect your movement with bigotry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is the mindset that brought you "basket of deplorables." The Rogan interview has only been up for like a day and a half and already has more than 4 million views. These people think every JRE listener is a Trump voter because they literally can't have a worldview that factors in the 40% of America that doesn't vote. So to them not openly courting "moderates" means you're going after the MAGA vote.

will not matter because they can't vote in the primary (because they will forget to register)

Serf
May 5, 2011

i am the bird posted:

It's actually Jeff Bezos

yeah my thought is that amazon paid for someone to claim to be a worker and write that piece

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's not winning over "undecided" voters - a number of the comments were from people who never voted/weren't going to vote until they saw bernie. one guy said he was going to start volunteering.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Serf posted:

yeah my thought is that amazon paid for someone to claim to be a worker and write that piece

I absolutely know people just like the guy in the article. Its tempting to believe its an astroturfed fake but the far more horrific reality is thag its equally likely they just picked some credulous old man who never grew out of being a teacher's pet and told him to write an article.

Serf
May 5, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I absolutely know people just like the guy in the article. Its tempting to believe its an astroturfed fake but the far more horrific reality is thag its equally likely they just picked some credulous old man who never grew out of being a teacher's pet and told him to write an article.

i mean the two options are that its a paid fake or that someone is a pathetic enough human being to write it. either one is equally possible, i'm just going with the one that makes the most sense to me, given who we're talking about

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
people will say and argue for the stupidest poo poo

when i worked at a grocery store, the last year i was in the deli. one day they handed out these mesh gloves for safety purposes, and i was apparently the only one to read the insert in the package that said "DO NOT USE WITH ROTATING OR SERRATED BLADES" (deli slicers anyone? bread knives?). the assistant store manager absolutely loved to give me poo poo, and one time he was getting on my case about those dumb gloves and someone who worked as the accountant (mid-50s) just dug into me and was like "WEAR THE GLOVE, IF THE STORE RATING GOES DOWN ALL OF OUR BONUSES WILL BE AFFECTED" and it was so profoundly loving stupid i couldn't come up with anything on the fly. if you were an hourly employee, your bonus was tied to COMPANY profits; if you were salaried, your bonus was tied to STORE performance.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
No one listens to JRE unless they already listen to JRE. There is no one in this world who can sit through the Joe Rogan Experience that isn't already exposed to it. It is trash.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Awesome Animals posted:

No one listens to JRE unless they already listen to JRE. There is no one in this world who can sit through the Joe Rogan Experience that isn't already exposed to it. It is trash.

counterpoint: this is the only time i've ever listened to jre, other than the occasional clip that gets posted to twitter

the youtube comments are incredible, too. lots of super dummies are now like "wait this bernie guy sounds good??"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Serf posted:

i mean the two options are that its a paid fake or that someone is a pathetic enough human being to write it. either one is equally possible, i'm just going with the one that makes the most sense to me, given who we're talking about

AnEdgelord posted:

the article got a lot of signal boosts, like this loving abomination: http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/07/we-should-thank-amazon-for-letting-us-have-jobs.html. amazon's pr department was absolutely involved

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/gabrielwinant/status/1159471139707654144

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Judging by comments on his recent podcast appearances, Pod Save America’s audience seems to be far more innately hostile to Bernie than Joe Rogan’s.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

FuriousGeorge posted:

Judging by comments on his recent podcast appearances, Pod Save America’s audience seems to be far more innately hostile to Bernie than Joe Rogan’s.

sanders threatens their privilege and entire worldview. there is no place from them in the world where they aren’t either opposed to republicans in power or sycophantic to moderate democrats who can’t effectively wield their power

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FuriousGeorge posted:

i'd never listened to the pod and brendan and virgil's description of their live performance made me wonder how they have any fans.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There is a significant fraction of the population who want to be told pleasing lies, and a smaller but still significant fraction whose interests are aligned with candidates who have a "nuanced position" on critical issues like healthcare, wages, and law enforcement.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

FuriousGeorge posted:

The PSA audience is basically upper middle class professionals who fetishize policy wonks. Bernie threatens not only their income but their entire worldview. That's why PSA was stanning for Beto first and Warren now. Those candidates conform the most to that audience's ideal politician. The PSA hosts were in the Comms dept. in the Obama and Clinton admins, and you get a sense of why they're so afraid of politics and so in love with policy - their political instincts are terrible. One of them coined the "if you like your insurance, you can keep it" line and another told Warren to get a DNA test to prove she's a native American.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FuriousGeorge posted:

Rogan's kinda too dumb to have politics beyond a super generic libertarian-ish 'can't you just leave everyone alone?' Which is why the fascists love using him, because he doesn't really put much thought into his interviews beyond going 'oh man so (repeats what the guest just said)? That's nuts.' This is terrible because it's led to a lot of normal rear end people hearing him do that with the Dave Rubins of the world where it's just 'wow so the SJWs are censoring you for being gay and a REAL liberal? That's hosed up man'. It's also very good because, ya know, we can use that platform too and get the same 'wow so the wealthy are just hording their money and turning us against each other to fight for their scraps? That's wild.' treatment.

It just requires a mild amount of cultural awareness and not having disdain for 90% of america.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The PSA hosts were in the Comms dept. in the Obama and Clinton admins, and you get a sense of why they're so afraid of politics and so in love with policy - their political instincts are terrible.
I wouldn't even say they're in love with policy; they're in love with technocracy. If they took policy seriously they'd be averse to people like Buttigieg and O'Rourke, and ridicule the proposals from Klobuchar and Harris.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 8, 2019

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Halloween Jack posted:

I wouldn't even say they're in love with policy; they're in love with technocracy. If they took policy seriously they'd be averse to people like Buttigieg and O'Rourke, and ridicule the proposals from Klobuchar and Harris.

This is true. They all say they like Harris' imitation M4A but never explain why.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is the mindset that brought you "basket of deplorables." The Rogan interview has only been up for like a day and a half and already has more than 4 million views. These people think every JRE listener is a Trump voter because they literally can't have a worldview that factors in the 40% of America that doesn't vote. So to them not openly courting "moderates" means you're going after the MAGA vote.

the 40% who don't vote never will because they're assholes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is true. They all say they like Harris' imitation M4A but never explain why.
I assume they're big on Harris because another major motivator for their upper-middle-class liberal fanbase is just wanting to feel good about themselves. It's really hard to argue with people who see politics as a ritual where you show up on election day, vote for whoever has the D next to their name, and get a little badge testifying that you're one of the good ones and systemic injustice isn't your fault.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Relevant Tangent posted:

no

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

the 40% who don't vote never will because you're assholes

fixed

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

They’re all about “the optics” which means what people at the next DC dinner party think.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

yes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1159494560998973440

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Relevant Tangent posted:

*makes $35,000 a year or has no job prospects at all, friend OD'ed on opioids, mom is rationing her insulin*

:agesilaus: Can you believe this rear end in a top hat?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

lib poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Relevant Tangent posted:

voting is a huge pain in the rear end for most people on top of them only getting a choice between the lesser of two evils.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Everyone is an rear end in a top hat but voters are bigger assholes.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Felix's ESports minute was a trip. I don't follow Fortnight, but I do follow League of Legends and like Hearthstone. poo poo was a completely intelligible rundown that I could translate. Like a madlibs where I understood the words but players are named florff instead of imaqtpie.

Is this what sports radio feels like?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's funny felix is the gamer one and then plays the most noob game possible.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i bet all the dollars virgil is way better at overwatch than felix is at fortnite or any game for that matter

hell amber is probably better at mario kart than felix is at fortnite in the sense she wouldn't lose to an 8 yr old

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Relevant Tangent posted:

Dem Acres is the place to be
For tepid lib poo poo wonkery

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
By the by, if any of you are still obsessed with the question of exactly how much influence SA had on Felix, you should listen to his Beyond the Filter interview.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I really hope this guy digs himself into a deeper hole.

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1159524959431135232?s=20

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

prefect posted:

I really hope this guy digs himself into a deeper hole.

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1159524959431135232?s=20

What did Gay (lol) say about Weisman?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

fadam posted:

https://twitter.com/rgay/status/1159133115056627713

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fadam posted:

I'm sure it was justified -- this is the guy who said that John Lewis wasn't really from the deep south because he lived in Atlanta. (Also because he was black.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was confused because i thought he was saying (in a very stupid way) "i know you're black i saw your picture". lol woof.