Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah the difference is pretty significant but it depends on what you're doing with it, for CPU bound gaming and productivity work it's a big step up but if you're doing GPU bound gaming CPU doesn't matter as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PirateBob posted:

Is there a significant real world difference between the 2600x and the newer ones, 3700x or whatever?

What do you do with your computer?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Drakhoran posted:

Hardware Unboxed have taken a look at Ryzen 3000 and memory performance

Tech Deals did some of this too, and I just don’t understand paying more than whatever 3200-16 is going for unless the difference is dirt cheap. It’s one of the most common memory types anywhere, but for some reason testers only ever test for 3200-14 and 3600-16 recently. I guess 3000-14 is roughly the same.

I guess the opinion is that 3200-16 is decidedly last gen now, but it was the price performance sweet spot just a few months ago when I bought RAM at it’s most pants-shittingly expensive high.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 8, 2019

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Party Boat posted:

In what way was it seated wrong for you? It's my first time installing a CPU / cooler so I followed the recommended approach of tightening screws in an X pattern until tight but not over tight. The stock cooler has springs on (presumably to stop you over tightening) so do I need to tighten them more? The advice on all this is annoyingly imprecise.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($539.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT H500i ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1541.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-07 20:14 EDT-0400

^^ To give you an idea of what I was smacking together. I don't think I'm working with some of the same screws you are, my friend.

Before the reseating I was getting spikes of the one core over 80 degrees and in the 90s when under load.

Since fixing now and using the PC for a few days I am idling at around 30, basic PC usage pushing 40 and rarely exceeding that. Under load playing total war I was bouncing between 60 and high 70s.

My buddy and I were just being loving idiots while we were putting it together stoned.

One screw was tightened properly and the other was mis-threaded and was just being held on with some tension. Probably looked like a < if the bottom were flat and the CPU.

I realize mine is not a representative case and I'm just dumb and my friend put enough PCs together, for his job, to get overconfident.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 8, 2019

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Lmao

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Dual 7742s are also pushing just shy of 300 GB/s memory bandwidth (8 channel DDR4 3200) holy poo poo.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I can't wait to have our EC2 costs drop 30%+ by switching to AMD cores in the upcoming years.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($539.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT H500i ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1541.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-07 20:14 EDT-0400

^^ To give you an idea of what I was smacking together. I don't think I'm working with some of the same screws you are, my friend.

Before the reseating I was getting spikes of the one core over 80 degrees and in the 90s when under load.

Since fixing now and using the PC for a few days I am idling at around 30, basic PC usage pushing 40 and rarely exceeding that. Under load playing total war I was bouncing between 60 and high 70s.

My buddy and I were just being loving idiots while we were putting it together stoned.

One screw was tightened properly and the other was mis-threaded and was just being held on with some tension. Probably looked like a < if the bottom were flat and the CPU.

I realize mine is not a representative case and I'm just dumb and my friend put enough PCs together, for his job, to get overconfident.

Ah cheers. Yeah I think the 3600 (what I have) and the 3700X have different stock coolers. At any rate I did some monitoring of mine playing CPU-heavy games and it tops out at about 70 so I'm not too worried although I'm getting some extra fans for my case at the weekend to improve overall airflow.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

necrobobsledder posted:

I can't wait to have our EC2 costs drop 30%+ by switching to AMD cores in the upcoming years.

There's no way that AWS is passing those savings on to us.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
One of the most in-depth reviews of Rome I've seen is here: https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-7002-series-rome-delivers-a-knockout/

It's amazing. I just hope they can deliver the volume and that all the commodity server manufacturers pick it up.

Intel isn't even close to being competitive in raw performance, performance per watt or performance per dollar.
Moreover, all those PCIe 4 lanes add an enormous amount of potential..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 8, 2019

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I was a little worried about the stock after the tariff bullshit but it's up 15% on today's news. These lines in particular from the opening bullet list seem really revelatory of how much of a lead AMD has now:

ServeTheHome posted:

AMD EPYC 7002 delivers the same core counts in fewer sockets and fewer NUMA nodes than Intel Xeon can in Q3 2019. The cores themselves are comparable in performance to their Xeon counterparts.
AMD now has a massive power consumption per core or performance advantage over Intel Xeon, to the tune of 2x or more in many cases.
AMD list prices on competitive parts are ~25-35% of what the compute performance would cost to get from Intel Xeon comparables.

I'm sure their momentum and history will help somewhat but it seems like Intel is going to lose huge chunks of the market unless server Ice Lake is very close and very good. I have no idea what kind of response their margins would allow but they're still losing even if they just halve their prices outright.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The surprising part to me on the STH benches was that on at least one of the AVX512 runs (I think it was running 256 bit for Rome and 512 for Intel) Rome still beat the top Intel chip.

Granted it barely beat it but that is still pretty impressive. I figured the 512 bit AVX stuff would still consistently run best on the Intel but it seems like AMD is at least competitive even there too with Rome. So they probably got a shot at even some of the HPC market that is normally Intel exclusive.

The biggest probably will probably be making enough to meet demand.

edit: TSMC's 7nm fab capacity isn't infinite and many of the cellphone chips are being fabbed on it as well as well as AMD's GPU's too and probably lots of other stuff that I don't know about. I don't think anyone knows the detailed production numbers publicly but it isn't all silly to think that AMD still might end up fab limited with TSMC. With GF I think they're only producing APU's and the IO die which does help ease general supply concerns for AMD but for Rome production they've only got the one source. \/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 8, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The biggest probably will probably be making enough to meet demand.

TSMC is not GF. They will be willing and able to produce as much high-margin product as AMD can sell.

AMD is in a really good position for the next few years. I don't think there's really much Intel can do to answer, and there's no reason AMD can't keep making steps forward.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think TSMC has already started fabbing the next parts for Apple in their N7 EUV node, which is far and away their biggest customer. I dont know what if any impact that would have on the Zen2 parts getting made on the N7 DUV process, because im just a dipshit layperson that follows this stuff cause i think its fun.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

In the form of stock value you mean?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

In the form of stock value you mean?
/cries at the AWS bill while taking out options on AWS stock with savings from reserved instances

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

/cries at the AWS bill while taking out options on AWS stock with savings from reserved instances

I'm sure some company is doing this as a hedge.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtBE2ydkwZo

intel's releasing a 400w server chip that can't compete with zen2 server chips

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Condiv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtBE2ydkwZo

intel's releasing a 400w server chip that can't compete with zen2 server chips

The Xeon 9200, which no mobo maker supports and is pretty much HPC only. Yes, that's a great comparison.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I got my 3900x and the x570 aorus pro wifi today. The chipset heatsink is chipped on the pro wifi. I'm also not sure if the tape used on the motherboard bag is the OEM tape. I haven't taken it out of the bag yet.

Tempted to take it out and set things up anyway. My case is closed so a tiny chip on the heatsink doesn't matter. I inspected all the caps/etc and stuff on the back and everything looks in good shape. Lots of indents on the antistatic bag.

Please help stave off my paranoia. I also couldn't find an actual unboxing video. What has the internet came to? There were one or two but they skipped showing the antistatic bag and removing the motherboard from it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Khorne posted:

I got my 3900x and the x570 aorus pro wifi today. The chipset heatsink is chipped on the pro wifi. I'm also not sure if the tape used on the motherboard bag is the OEM tape. I haven't taken it out of the bag yet.

Tempted to take it out and set things up anyway. My case is closed so a tiny chip on the heatsink doesn't matter. I inspected all the caps/etc and stuff on the back and everything looks in good shape. Lots of indents on the antistatic bag.

Please help stave off my paranoia. I also couldn't find an actual unboxing video. What has the internet came to? There were one or two but they skipped showing the antistatic bag and removing the motherboard from it.

It's probably fine. If it doesn't post send it back.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

iospace posted:

The Xeon 9200, which no mobo maker supports and is pretty much HPC only. Yes, that's a great comparison.

I mean, if its the fastest thing intel can muster and its still slower than what AMD is selling I don't know what else you would be comparing to.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

iospace posted:

Fastest vs fastest and both target similar markets (go look at those STH benches again, Rome could definitely do some damage in the HPC market) so its not at all unfair.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

What’s the current recommendation for motherboard and ram ? Had my x99system fail after 2.5 years and managed to get a full refund for the mono/ cpu/ ram thanks to our consumer laws in Australia.

Would prefer not to go ASUS after my x99 experience. I’d like two m.2 slots, Intel gigabit networking and wifi with at least 3 non x16 pcie slots.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm not all that familiar with bleeding edge server platforms, but AMD forcing Intel to give up to 80% list price discounts is :lol:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beaucoup Haram posted:

What’s the current recommendation for motherboard and ram ? Had my x99system fail after 2.5 years and managed to get a full refund for the mono/ cpu/ ram thanks to our consumer laws in Australia.

Would prefer not to go ASUS after my x99 experience. I’d like two m.2 slots, Intel gigabit networking and wifi with at least 3 non x16 pcie slots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyuS04lD4o

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Beaucoup Haram posted:

What’s the current recommendation for... ram ?
That video that got linked is pretty good and covers all the angles for mobo suggestions. For RAM it kinda depends heavily on your budget and what you want to do.

If you want most of the possible performance from memory overclocking, don't mind spending around $140-150, but don't want to tweak the heck out of the RAM and just want to turn on XMP and leave it than any of the 16GB CL16 3600 DDR4 kits are fine.

If you're fine with tweaking/overvolting and want to squeeze nearly all the possible performance you can than download 1usmus' Ryzen Dram Calculator (use the Fast or Extreme preset), watch these videos here and over here too and get some Samsung B die rated at 3200 CL14 (if you don't mind spending a lot and want better chances at higher clocks with better timings) or some Micron E die (if you want to save some money) rated at 3000 CL15 or better and go nuts.

I dunno about the B die but the Micron E die overclocks well with lots of volts which makes it run surprisingly hot at 1.4v or higher so maybe consider putting fan or something on it if you plan on running it 24/7 overclocked. E die is nice too if you want to run 4 DIMM's as well since the sub timings on them tend to be looser than Hynix's or Samsung's stuff.

Here is a B die finder: https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/
Easy way to get E die is to buy the Ballistix kits that a AES suffix in the model number (ie. BLS2K16G4D30AESE). Typically they're either DDR4 3200 CL16 for the 2x 8GB kits and DDR4 3000 CL15 for the 2x 16GB kits. Not quite as good as B die for overclocking but it gets close and bang for the buck is awesome.

edit: make sure to update to the latest BIOS to before bothering at all with memory overclocking. The latest BIOS helps a fair amount for most people.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 9, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Alternatively, just pick up some cheap 3200CL16 sticks because the performance difference is going to be completely negligible.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hoping Asus provide an updated bios for the x470-i.

Mine won't cold boot when running xmp, with a 3700x.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Arzachel posted:

Alternatively, just pick up some cheap 3200CL16 sticks because the performance difference is going to be completely negligible.

This is also true.

3xxx Ryzens have enough cache on them now that they're much less sensitive to the RAM used than the 1xxx or 2xxx CPU's.

Personally I went with the cheaper E die 3000 CL15 Ballistix 32GB kit and that thing easily overclocked to 3600 CL16 on the 1st try.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Mine won't cold boot when running xmp, with a 3700x.

Does setting the memory timings manually work?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah E die is the way to go because its often some of the cheapest 3000MHz or 3200MHz RAM out there but can OC quite well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

If Intel Xeon is the BMW 3-series, AMD EPYC is the Tesla Model 3 of the industry.

lmfao i love nerds making dumbass car analogies

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Personally I went with the cheaper E die 3000 CL15 Ballistix 32GB kit and that thing easily overclocked to 3600 CL16 on the 1st try.

I went with 32GB of 3200CL16 e-die as well, it was way cheaper than any other 3200C14 or 3600C16 kits, probably less than half. I went straight for 3600C14 using the Ryzen DRAM Calc fast preset, but was getting memory errors immediately in memtest. Realised I didn't know loving anything about memory overclocking and the 3 pages of settings you have to change, so I wouldn't know where to start on getting it stable. Dropped down to 3466C14 and it was immediately stable. Some people have been getting lucky and getting 3600C14 or 3800+ C16 with the Balistix kits.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Truga posted:

lmfao i love nerds making dumbass car analogies

Poorly supported and plagued by reliability issues? :ohdear:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Arzachel posted:

Poorly supported and plagued by reliability issues? :ohdear:

also spontaneously ignites the bios battery

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I went straight for 3600C14 using the Ryzen DRAM Calc fast preset, but was getting memory errors immediately in memtest.
Yeah getting the fast preset stable isn't easy with the E die. It likes looser timings unless you give it lots more volts. Most of those who seem to be getting it stable at high speeds with low timings seem to be either getting lucky or running real high (1.5+) volts.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

This is also true.

3xxx Ryzens have enough cache on them now that they're much less sensitive to the RAM used than the 1xxx or 2xxx CPU's.

Does setting the memory timings manually work?

Unfortunately not. Runs fine and passes memory tests for hours however you do it (xmp, manually entered, all timings entered manually in AMD overclocking section) until a cold boot.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 9, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Unfortunately not. Runs fine and passes memory tests for hours however you do it (xmp, manually entered, all timings entered manually in AMD overclocking section) until a cold boot.
There are some issues with voltages on boot right now. And booting in general. Hopefully they get fixed. There might be a way to work around it if you want to scour r/amd on reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I've seen some people saying that if you change the geardown and/or powerdown modes it can help with coldboot issues