Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently when that Russian arsenal exploded, it threw unexploded ordnance into the nearby villages. check out pic #2

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1158649822007779330

apparently an aluminum recycling plant/smelter was destroyed by artillery shells coming back down

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1158740769374691334?s=20

This is like russia.mp4 right there.

"Ivan we are celebrating not being blowing up during ammo depot explosion!"
"Excellent, being lighting off fireworks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Renegret posted:

That got changed years back as well. USDA says you only have to do pork to 145.

Thank god, because well done pork is even worse than a well done steak.
It's so true. My grandma used to cook pork roasts by putting them in a crock pot with equal parts soy sauce and ketchup and maybe half a cup of water. She'd then cook the drat thing for as long as you're supposed to cook it in the oven.

To call it leathery would be an insult to leather.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
sous vide is the way to do pork

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
just eat pig raw like a animal you piece of poo poo

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ewiley posted:

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1158740769374691334?s=20

This is like russia.mp4 right there.

"Ivan we are celebrating not being blowing up during ammo depot explosion!"
"Excellent, being lighting off fireworks"
They have reasons to celebrate! That recent accidental Russian explosion didn't involve elevated radiation levels.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/08/08/russia-closes-part-of-white-sea-to-shipping-for-a-month-after-fatal-explosion-a66762

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

glynnenstein posted:

Sometimes you fuckle the truck, sometimes the truck fuckles you. In the case of the alley bollards at my work, it's non-stop fuckling.

Somebody finally hit one hard enough to actually knock it over, so I had to remount.

Previous anchors were stubby little 5/8 bolts in anchor sleeves maybe 2 inches deep. New studs are 3/4 high strength stainless epoxied 4.5 inches into the concrete.

Who wants to take bets on how long before it gets knocked down again?

The epoxy has 19,890 pound pullout strength, 52,000+ shear.

It will happen while I'm on vacation later this month.

Reminds me of one of the houses I grew up in. We were on a fairly busy street on the far edge of town (the back of our property was also city limits), so it was a popular place for teenagers to go mailbox bashing. After our mailbox got taken out for the 2nd time, my dad decided to put a stop to it. He got a 6" diameter steel post and sunk it a foot deep into the sidewalk, then filled it with concrete. On the top, he had someone weld a platform slightly larger than the footprint of a mailbox, and then wrapped a rebar cage over the top. The mailbox sits inside the cage, and the flag has a little mount point on the outside.

Oh hey, thanks Google Street View!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was driving past a rail yard yesterday and there wasn't a single section of fence that wasn't hosed up from truck drivers backing into it.

Even more shocking, i went to google street view to get a picture of it, and the fence is in pristine condition as of Jun 2018, meaning all the damage was done in a year.

https://goo.gl/maps/HZ7KvBQRARKQsedv8

I'm going to have to stop and grab a picture next time

Bonus: turn the camera around and you get a nice clean E39 M5

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Cichlidae posted:

I think it's more likely the nuts and washers will just punch through the bollard's base. It already looks pretty warped.

Conical shear failure of the concrete around the anchor bolts will be my bet, but it'll take a few hits.

I wonder how much damage that bollard has racked up over the years....

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Blindeye posted:

Conical shear failure of the concrete around the anchor bolts will be my bet, but it'll take a few hits.

I wonder how much damage that bollard has racked up over the years....

Should have used husk nuts to secure the girdle jerrys to the anchor bolts.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Fuckin amateurs, sink dia 32 foundation bolts to 6 metres into hard rock in an extension sleeve then pump non shrinking grout in there to bond it. Post tension your Bollard to 430kn and then laugh as trucks run into it and get loving destroyed instantly. Alternatively the Bollard snaps off the base or more hilariously the concrete pad itself fails and cracks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That will just leave you with too many torsional thrust vectors on the anterior lunar wane shaft.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Fuckin amateurs, sink dia 32 foundation bolts to 6 metres into hard rock in an extension sleeve then pump non shrinking grout in there to bond it. Post tension your Bollard to 430kn and then laugh as trucks run into it and get loving destroyed instantly. Alternatively the Bollard snaps off the base or more hilariously the concrete pad itself fails and cracks.
If you anchor it deep enough and then place a truck against the bollard and drive West you can reverse the rotation of the Earth ala Superman

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

You could also reinforce the concrete base with pre-famulated amulite and prevent basically all side-fumbling.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why not just lower the bollard (so the truck doesn't hit it)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Or raise the truck so it can clear the bollard.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Bollards are just a gentle reminder that you've backed in far enough.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Reminds me of one of the houses I grew up in. We were on a fairly busy street on the far edge of town (the back of our property was also city limits), so it was a popular place for teenagers to go mailbox bashing. After our mailbox got taken out for the 2nd time, my dad decided to put a stop to it. He got a 6" diameter steel post and sunk it a foot deep into the sidewalk, then filled it with concrete. On the top, he had someone weld a platform slightly larger than the footprint of a mailbox, and then wrapped a rebar cage over the top. The mailbox sits inside the cage, and the flag has a little mount point on the outside.

I was half expecting you to post that one morning there was a car crashed into the indestructible mailbox.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Put some portal axles on that or it won't clear anything.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Give the bollard a motion-activated can of bear mace so it can ward off truck drivers that get too close. Problem solved.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Powershift posted:

Does farm work fall under OSHA or do they have their own department like mining?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The only thing that stops a bad truck with a gun is a good bollard with a gun.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Give the trucks a parachute

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Give the trucks a parachute

Already done

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CannonFodder posted:

Does farm work fall under OSHA or do they have their own department like mining?

...welll....farming is under osha but:

quote:

A farming operation is exempt from all OSHA activities if it:
1. Employs 10 or fewer employees currently and at all times during the last 12 months; and
2. Has not had an active temporary labor camp during the proceeding 12 months.
Note: Family members of farm employers are not counted when determining the number of employees.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Cojawfee posted:

That will just leave you with too many torsional thrust vectors on the anterior lunar wane shaft.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Powershift posted:

You could also reinforce the concrete base with pre-famulated amulite and prevent basically all side-fumbling.

Like putting too much air, into a balloon!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

"Paramedics are... nowhere to be found"

https://twitter.com/donttrythis/status/1159552954677878784

:ohdear:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Powershift posted:

Should have used husk nuts to secure the girdle jerrys to the anchor bolts.

Cojawfee posted:

Dammit Lakeman!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think I saw that one on an episode of CSI.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

ulmont posted:

...welll....farming is under osha but:

This reminds me of working for a small businessman who started doing weird poo poo, like getting paranoid about someone breaking into the shop during work hours (???), so he threw the deadbolt on the front door from the inside with a key. And he was the only one with said key.

When I reported him for OSHA violations, I was told that since he had fewer than X employees (I forget the exact number, but it was around 10), none of the regulations on things like egress access applied. Basically, as long as there was one egress door (even if it was blocked by some serious fire hazard poo poo like big tangles of network and power cables hooked up to a shelf full of "servers" (aka, laptops running web services) that constantly threatened to fall on people). He did eat a fine for some of his terrible wiring and having not fixed electrical problems, but it wasn't nearly as satisfying as it could have been.

The best part was that he knew one of us reported him, but he never suspected me, despite the fact that I openly talked poo poo about him at work and he knew I was actively looking for a new job at the time. He just assumed since I was so nice and honest with all our customers, I must be an idiot who would never do anything sneaky.

Idiot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Small business owners are insane" explains most everything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

You should have seen the outcry when farmers were told they couldn't let their kids play in the grain trucks anymore because a bunch of kids kept drowning in grain and ruining the whole load.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/bill-6-questions-answered-alberta-farm-safety-1.3345283

Imagine the horror of having to provide workers comp for your employees, and not letting your 12 year old rip down the highway with a load of grain.

Also

quote:

Unlike other provinces, farm workers in Alberta are currently exempt from occupational health and safety laws and have no right to refuse unsafe work.

Climb in the bailler to get it unstuck or you're fired!

Don't worry though, Jason Kenney just got elected and promised to get rid of all these draconian laws like...

*check notes*

not losing your job for refusing to get killed by your 95 year old boss

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This reminds me of working for a small businessman who started doing weird poo poo, like getting paranoid about someone breaking into the shop during work hours (???), so he threw the deadbolt on the front door from the inside with a key. And he was the only one with said key.

When I reported him for OSHA violations, I was told that since he had fewer than X employees (I forget the exact number, but it was around 10), none of the regulations on things like egress access applied. Basically, as long as there was one egress door (even if it was blocked by some serious fire hazard poo poo like big tangles of network and power cables hooked up to a shelf full of "servers" (aka, laptops running web services) that constantly threatened to fall on people). He did eat a fine for some of his terrible wiring and having not fixed electrical problems, but it wasn't nearly as satisfying as it could have been.

The best part was that he knew one of us reported him, but he never suspected me, despite the fact that I openly talked poo poo about him at work and he knew I was actively looking for a new job at the time. He just assumed since I was so nice and honest with all our customers, I must be an idiot who would never do anything sneaky.

Idiot.

The owner of the commercial building across the alley from my work was checking out a problem with the man-lift in the parking garage when the brake failed and it fell with him on it and he broke his back. When the DC FD arrived they called the police to come secure the scene since a serious workplace injury had occurred and the city regulatory authorities would need to come inspect. This dude, being hauled out on a backboard with major injuries, was screaming the whole time about how "he wasn't an employee! he was the owner! it doesn't count as a workplace!" which nobody was buying, but who knows what his lawyers could have come up with down the line. I don't know if he could get away with being a small business for a 200k+ square foot building, though...

Actual professionals came out later and got the man-lift working again, and honestly I'm impressed that those are still even allowed at all these days.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol to all of your bolt suggestions the way you do this is cast a 3' long steel sleeve flush into the concrete and then drop a 6' long bollard into it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use a boulder.

Attaching it to the ground is unnecessary. It has enough mass to stop anything.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

Small is redundant really.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Use a boulder.

Attaching it to the ground is unnecessary. It has enough mass to stop anything.

like your mom

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

lol to all of your bolt suggestions the way you do this is cast a 3' long steel sleeve flush into the concrete and then drop a 6' long bollard into it

That's honestly how I thought all bollards were installed. At 1/2 if not 2/3 of the length is buried.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

That's honestly how I thought all bollards were installed. At 1/2 if not 2/3 of the length is buried.

There's a zillion variations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

It's like an iceberg.