Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The organizing body, National Poetry Slam Inc, collapsed 2-3 years ago due to financial mismanagement. Aside from Button Poetry and a few regional slams, yeah. It's a real grim scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Badactura posted:

I didn't know there were slam poets anymore.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

The organizing body, National Poetry Slam Inc, collapsed 2-3 years ago due to financial mismanagement. Aside from Button Poetry and a few regional slams, yeah. It's a real grim scene.
That was absolutely the work of Toreador poseurs exercising their influence to end what they (correctly) perceive as "bad art" from flourishing

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mors Rattus posted:

The Players already exist to be What If Vampires Were Total Idiot Poseurs. I suppose that these are less 'hey, hey, I AM TOTALLY A TWILIGHT GUYS LOOK HOW COOL I AM' tho.

(The Players are a Mekhet bloodline whose unique superpower is convincing everyone around them they are smarter, more attractive and more physically powerful than they actually are. It wears off and stops working on people after a while. Everyone that runs into them tends to assume they must have some kind of secret or dark past or just not be the obvious idiots they seem because what the gently caress, how are you people even still alive. The Players nod happily at this and act as if they have that secret or dark, tragic past or conspiracy bullshit, because that sounds really cool.)

The best part is that they actually do go around acting like Vampires and telling everyone they're vampires, and because they're so drat obvious about it nobody believes them so they maintain the masquerade.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I want some kind of plague of Reverse Crabification where neonate vampires not indoctrinated into the Old Ways start falling into tropes associated with Twilight and other Sparklepuppet fuckbooks.

edit- the real problem with catiffs isn't their thinbloodedness it's that they're just. . . . SO loving LAME.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Omnicrom posted:

The best part is that they actually do go around acting like Vampires and telling everyone they're vampires, and because they're so drat obvious about it nobody believes them so they maintain the masquerade.
This is every bad obnoxious "teH pEngUIn of d00M!!1~" LARPer's first Malkavian concept (this or 'my derangement is that I think I'm playing a LARP') to the point where it's been banned as a concept in multiple troupes/orgs I've been involved in.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, there's a character in my game who's the lead for a band and her public persona is a vampire. It's the 80's, that flies. Also she's a Changeling.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Hey, there's a character in my game who's the lead for a band and her public persona is a vampire. It's the 80's, that flies. Also she's a Changeling.

Hell yeah, man, Stuart Townsend was a great Lestat and Queen of the Damned owns :rolleyes:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

ZearothK posted:

One of my favorite characters was a mud-packed lumbering gentle giant who lurked the Prague sewers and only wanted to help people despite them being horrified by his presence as a Nosferatu. Playing to type but actually not being the type is great.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Shrecknet posted:

This is every bad obnoxious "teH pEngUIn of d00M!!1~" LARPer's first Malkavian concept (this or 'my derangement is that I think I'm playing a LARP') to the point where it's been banned as a concept in multiple troupes/orgs I've been involved in.

The key to the Players for me is that they are intended to be losers. To the point that their powers build up a tolerance - even the mortals they hang out with eventually go ‘gently caress off you annoying rear end in a top hat’ by design, and as mekhet they get no in clan access to actual physical or social superpowers.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I was in a LARP with a Player NPC that showed up, me and three other characters were the only ones who didn't find him cool so we just stared as everyone else oohed and ahhed while an ST did awkward karate moves.

Eventually it wore off near the end of session and we kicked him out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

How did it feel to have your LARP turn into a sitcom episode

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I once attended a LARP where the visiting Toredor Primogen was an obvious Doctor Who cosplay who kept break dancing.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
I once attended a LARP where the Malkavian Primogen was Krusty the Clown.

LARPs are often kinda stupid.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
yeah, they're way more fun when everyone is Unironically The Cure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I'm pretty sure we live in different countries Dave, and yet I was also at that LARP.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Mendrian posted:

I once attended a LARP where the visiting Toredor Primogen was an obvious Doctor Who cosplay who kept break dancing.

I definitely wish I was there for that one...

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Mors Rattus posted:

How did it feel to have your LARP turn into a sitcom episode

More fun then a lot of LARPs I have played in or ran, really.

This was my local college LARP, which was weird because it wasn't connected to any major national group, and often ended up being weird games like Legend of the 5 Rings or Unknown Armies. People were much more willing to have their characters compromised and stuff then in other LARP games I've been in, so a lot of characters were getting into loving this dingus.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

You have the right to play a "mental illness is funny lolz111" Kindred, and I have the right to play a Gangrel going all Beast Shape on your rear end.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The idea of "take your character to any game and have it recognized as legit" is cool as gently caress, but national orgs ruin every LARP because now its abput surviving and becoming the coolest

:ninja: also natl org people are hilariously corrupt and petty

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Libertad! posted:

You have the right to play a "mental illness is funny lolz111" Kindred, and I have the right to play a Gangrel going all Beast Shape on your rear end.

counterpoint: i'm tired of cosplaying a person capable of normal conversations during the day and if i want to unwind by quoting Emily Post in my Mrs. Doubtfire voice no living god can stop me

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i try and avoid larp because i'm allergic to hearing people say 'feh' irl.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Dave Brookshaw posted:

1. Did they do the laugh and

2. Could they pull it off?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Anyone have any feedback on the CHUDs I posted last page?

they look really cool, sorry i missed em while the forums were loving up

edit: i think they'd be a standout entry if they were in a night horrors book, and their stats and starvation factor really ties in with them being a biological weapon rather than something who is meant to be a viable species. they're like hungry meat locusts, definitely dangerous but also with a limited lifespan.

then the alphas a) existing and b) being smart enough to breed the smaller ones, really throws a spanner in the works for anyone who thinks they can just wait it out.

they're cool enough that they're kicking in the Sinister Urge that makes me want to play as whatever the sickest monster is.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 9, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ironslave posted:

1. Did they do the laugh and

2. Could they pull it off?

I feel like this is a 'search your feelings' case.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i try and avoid larp because i'm allergic to hearing people say 'feh' irl.

Same but 'aye'.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Mendrian posted:

Same but 'aye'.

there was a larp society at my uni and if you mistimed going to the pub you would be there at the same time of them and have to hear them say 'a flagon of your finest ale, stout yeoman of the bar!' and all that type of nonsense.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
are we really gonna give people poo poo for being cringy in the World of Darkness Megathread?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They were being cringey at a bar, not in the thread.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It's a bit like the chess club making fun of the theater club, isn't it?

I could use some recommendations for reading about souls in 2e Chronicles, because I now have a very interesting thing that happened where one of the mages captured the soul of an NPC in a soul jar to keep them from dying and then another one of the mages shifting sands the scene back where the person did not die. So now I think I either have two souls, or there's a body without a soul in it (which is less interesting and fun because they expect that to be the answer).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

they look really cool, sorry i missed em while the forums were loving up

edit: i think they'd be a standout entry if they were in a night horrors book, and their stats and starvation factor really ties in with them being a biological weapon rather than something who is meant to be a viable species. they're like hungry meat locusts, definitely dangerous but also with a limited lifespan.

then the alphas a) existing and b) being smart enough to breed the smaller ones, really throws a spanner in the works for anyone who thinks they can just wait it out.

they're cool enough that they're kicking in the Sinister Urge that makes me want to play as whatever the sickest monster is.

Wow, thanks!! That's pretty much the exact vibe I was going for!

What's your opinion on giving the lesser CHUDs something like Innocuous and a little greater intelligence when not under the swarm condition?

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Jhet posted:

It's a bit like the chess club making fun of the theater club, isn't it?

I could use some recommendations for reading about souls in 2e Chronicles, because I now have a very interesting thing that happened where one of the mages captured the soul of an NPC in a soul jar to keep them from dying and then another one of the mages shifting sands the scene back where the person did not die. So now I think I either have two souls, or there's a body without a soul in it (which is less interesting and fun because they expect that to be the answer).

Well, Shifting Sands doesn't send everyone back, it just sends the Time Mage back to inform their fellows what happened. So unless he was carrying the Soul, it probably would've got left behind in the Future.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spector29 posted:

Well, Shifting Sands doesn't send everyone back, it just sends the Time Mage back to inform their fellows what happened. So unless he was carrying the Soul, it probably would've got left behind in the Future.

It does if they're included in the scale of the spell, which they were. So the cabal and the soul jar all went back in time. Nothing fishy there. Technically, all spells not cast on the subjects are cancelled, but it's not the time part of the equation that I have an issue with and they used advanced scale to cover them all.

The part I'm trying to frame better is what might happen with the person who wouldn't have died and their soul which would also be in the soul jar. I guess really what I'm trying to do is know what the universe as written might say about souls so I know where it's deviating if I end up screwing around with it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Jhet posted:

It does if they're included in the scale of the spell, which they were. So the cabal and the soul jar all went back in time. Nothing fishy there. Technically, all spells not cast on the subjects are cancelled, but it's not the time part of the equation that I have an issue with and they used advanced scale to cover them all.

The part I'm trying to frame better is what might happen with the person who wouldn't have died and their soul which would also be in the soul jar. I guess really what I'm trying to do is know what the universe as written might say about souls so I know where it's deviating if I end up screwing around with it.

I think the book has gribblies which eat time out of place. Kind of a Langoliers deal, you've got an object from an unmade future which cannot logically exist in the world. That's it's whole own plot arc, and you should definitely have some fun with it.

Maybe the dude who's soul that is knows that there's something in the world which is incredibly valuable, and he's drawn to it for reasons he can't resist? Wraiths and spectres might want it as a disbodied soul is the origin of a ghost. Get weird with it.

edit- The jar breaks, and the player switches bodies with the dude whose soul he stole. Now he's just a mortal, trying to track down his own body to get his wizard powers back.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jhet posted:

Souls are important and if their soul is not in their body they suffer the Soulless condition, I'd imagine. The effects of being soulless are in the Mage 2e core, I'm fairly sure. Souls are to some extent interchangeable - you need A soul but it needn't necessarily be the one you started with - but have some nebulous effects on your personality.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Souls aren't the origin of ghosts. A living person can have a ghost if they have a near death experience and a soulless person can leave a ghost. Ghosts are more like psychic echoes than a soul, which is more like an important organ.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, they should be asking what happens if they put the future soul into the still souled past body. And someone should do it because mages are assholes like that

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Honestly, they should be asking what happens if they put the future soul into the still souled past body. And someone should do it because mages are assholes like that

That's exactly why I dropped the question in the thread. They don't know what they're doing with the soul yet, and it happened at the very end of the session. But knowing the group, that's exactly what might happen, or any number of other permutations "because mages". All the normal mage-soul-death stuff I'm typically fine with dealing with, but the acanthus threw me for a loop with pulling out shifting sands again on the group right after he finished with the soul jar. So I was just going to roll with the soulless condition chain, but now it's all time-messy.

So I'm just trying to plan for the eventuality of them doing something that I didn't expect or plan, but at least I have an idea of where to go when they go completely off the rails while they concurrently try to kill a Seer within 24 hours so that they don't get murdered in their sleep by a few other powerful Seers who have tricks that they didn't have an answer for yet who are using them as a pawn in the game.

It was a fun session!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
If vampirism is the default reaction to a damaged soul, maybe you could have your team face off against THE ALTERNATE FUTURE-DIMENSION VAMPIRE FORM OF wait i'm thinking of Goth Willow, dammit Joss Wheadon wrote this plot already.

edit- so like the NPC comes backwards to this time from the future that never happened to recover their soul. as they struggle more and more a Temporal Disquiet-ish effect starts taking hold around the subject and the soul jar.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is a fascinating line of inquiry, has your party considered duplicating this outcome with more subjects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Tollymain posted:

this is a fascinating line of inquiry, has your party considered duplicating this outcome with more subjects

aaahahahahahah oh my god lure them into a false sense of security by having no negative side effects on the first one, then let them get Hubristic.