Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You also get to moon the earth on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KozmoNaut posted:

I hate this.

E: I though it was a basement at first because of the lack of windows, but there's definitely some stairs leading down in the corner. Upper floor with no windows, WTH?

Upstairs Piano Bunker would be a good name for a band.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Thumposaurus posted:

Saw this on a Facebook post no other info unfortunately.

Neil Armstrong is watching you poop.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

*toilet clogs*

Houston... we have a problem.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leal posted:

*toilet clogs*

Houston... we have a problem.

A poo low 13

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

luxury handset posted:

apologies if i've doxxed you

YOU PIECE OF poo poo!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thumposaurus posted:

Loses points for the sun not being in the proper location.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just realised that death star picture actually lights up.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

]A 3800+sf Art Deco/Mid Century Modern fusion house in the middle of nowhere Alabama completely untouched by renovation. Even the furniture and light fixtures look 100% from 1956.

This house would be a great place to have family reunions or something when I wanted to feel nostalgic

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I am posting here out of desperation. I found a house that has amazing paint on the walls, and I have pictures, but I can't for the life of me determine how to actually match these colors with true colors from a paint store and I really don't want to mess it up and repaint my new house with something thats a shade too far in the 'bad' direction as apparently thats how colors work.

What would you guys suggest? The realtor guessed at 'Timberwolf' for the dark grey and 'French Silver' on the light grey. But I've heard all sorts of shades in between. Bonus question, how can I determine what color stain is used for the floor besides darkish?

Light Grey room:

Dark Grey room:

Apparently the ceiling is some kind of third color as well. Any guesses?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FateFree posted:

I am posting here out of desperation. I found a house that has amazing paint on the walls, and I have pictures, but I can't for the life of me determine how to actually match these colors with true colors from a paint store and I really don't want to mess it up and repaint my new house with something thats a shade too far in the 'bad' direction as apparently thats how colors work.

What would you guys suggest? The realtor guessed at 'Timberwolf' for the dark grey and 'French Silver' on the light grey. But I've heard all sorts of shades in between. Bonus question, how can I determine what color stain is used for the floor besides darkish?

Light Grey room:

Dark Grey room:

Apparently the ceiling is some kind of third color as well. Any guesses?

This won't help you now, but if you can wait a few days and get in there again you could try a Color Reference Chart. You'll have to watch a youtube tutorial to figure out how to properly utilise it with your camera and software, but you can get one from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/DGK-Color-To...gateway&sr=8-16

If you set up your camera manually you take a photo of the chart, then take a photo of the wall. If you just set it to auto, do your best to put the chart in the frame somewhere so that it's not super tiny. You'll use a program like Lightroom to adjust that photo of the chart, using samples of the squares to accurately set everything so the colors are "perfect", then whatever the wall samples at is really that color. Not accounting for light and shade variations of course.

There are also devices you can buy that literally sample colours you put them on like an IRL eyedropper tool:
https://www.amazon.com/Pantone-RM200-PT01-CAPSURE-Color-Matcher/dp/B004BYQ3SY/ref=sr_1_34?keywords=pantone&qid=1565288002&s=gateway&sr=8-34
https://www.amazon.com/Nix-Pro-Color-Sensor-Professional/dp/B07ND647G6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=nix+pro&qid=1565288242&s=gateway&sr=8-2

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 8, 2019

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Wait, have you bought the house yet?

The easiest way to match is to start by taking a picture to a paint store; they will give you suggestions. You then take the color swatch they have, do some comparisons, then ask for a small quart of the paint and do a test run on a piece of cardboard.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Almost done -

I will post the toilet when it's installed. Plumber ran into some small issues.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

ntan1 posted:

Almost done -

I will post the toilet when it's installed. Plumber ran into some small issues.

Looks fantastic, but where's the mold-collecting rocks?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You mean you found the pics online, you weren't physically in the house, right?

For the paint, open the pic in Photoshop and use the eyedropper tool. Obviously avoid a pixel/area that's being directly affected by light or shadow. From there it's easy, Sherwin-Williams works with hex codes and I think Home Depot does too.

It might end up a tiny bit different from what's actually in the pics. It's fine, nobody will be like "ugh you were OBVIOUSLY aiming for #cfcccc and this is clearly #cfcccf," that's not a thing

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 8, 2019

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Well i was in the house at one point but I ended up buying a different one, so short of me knocking on their door I probably won't be able to see them in person again. I was worried about the RGB/CMYK thing with using a digital hex color, but I will give that a try - thanks!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ntan1 posted:

Wait, have you bought the house yet?

The easiest way to match is to start by taking a picture to a paint store; they will give you suggestions. You then take the color swatch they have, do some comparisons, then ask for a small quart of the paint and do a test run on a piece of cardboard.

Protip- never you mind now.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

So This Old House has a pay feature "This Old House Insider" which in addition to a bunch of other bullshit I don't care about gets you access to all of the episodes.

ALL OF THEM. I just binged the first season and it's amazingly charming and low rent. Plus, you get to see how much things have changed - no air tools, no cordless tools, very few electric tools. Oh dealing with lead and asbestos to! Lead? They actually mention it and talk about keeping kids away and wearing a mask and collecting chips and dust and disposing properly, in 1979! asbestos? Nah gently caress that stuff *pushes over asbestos covered cast iron boiler and goes at it with sledge hammers to break it up into pieces to haul out of the basement.*

Edit: why is this in the design thread? Because you can step through what was "up to date and modern" design from 1979 on. It's interesting to see what was "new and modern" back when each series was on the air.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Anne Whateley posted:

For the paint, open the pic in Photoshop and use the eyedropper tool. Obviously avoid a pixel/area that's being directly affected by light or shadow. From there it's easy, Sherwin-Williams works with hex codes and I think Home Depot does too.

It might end up a tiny bit different from what's actually in the pics. It's fine, nobody will be like "ugh you were OBVIOUSLY aiming for #cfcccc and this is clearly #cfcccf," that's not a thing

Also some paint stores are able to color match by scanning the color. I know when I was working at a (small, pretty crappy) hardware store, I would be able to just scan a color with the paint computer and it would make a formula for that color.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

beep-beep car is go posted:

So This Old House has a pay feature "This Old House Insider" which in addition to a bunch of other bullshit I don't care about gets you access to all of the episodes.

ALL OF THEM. I just binged the first season and it's amazingly charming and low rent. Plus, you get to see how much things have changed - no air tools, no cordless tools, very few electric tools. Oh dealing with lead and asbestos to! Lead? They actually mention it and talk about keeping kids away and wearing a mask and collecting chips and dust and disposing properly, in 1979! asbestos? Nah gently caress that stuff *pushes over asbestos covered cast iron boiler and goes at it with sledge hammers to break it up into pieces to haul out of the basement.*

Edit: why is this in the design thread? Because you can step through what was "up to date and modern" design from 1979 on. It's interesting to see what was "new and modern" back when each series was on the air.

That's really cool actually, I used to watch This Old House all the time growing up. Looks like there is a free 30 day trial as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't hate this.

I hate this.

E: I though it was a basement at first because of the lack of windows, but there's definitely some stairs leading down in the corner. Upper floor with no windows, WTH?

I’d bet it is above the garage.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

My favorite thing so far about the first couple seasons is trethewey tossing out cast iron radiators that have "no value" and replacing them with baseboards.

contrasted with the past couple seasons where they've had to scour salvage yards to find radiators to put back in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Qwijib0 posted:

My favorite thing so far about the first couple seasons is trethewey tossing out cast iron radiators that have "no value" and replacing them with baseboards.

contrasted with the past couple seasons where they've had to scour salvage yards to find radiators to put back in.

rips solar panels off White House roof

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I'm probably having wisdom teeth out next week, I now know what I am going to do with my post-extraction day.

edit: THEY HAVE NEW YANKEE WORKSHOP TOOOOOOO

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 8, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

It is pretty amazing. I got as far as the end of season five but I’m a bit burned out on early 80s fashion and solar houses for the moment.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

drgitlin posted:

It is pretty amazing. I got as far as the end of season five but I’m a bit burned out on early 80s fashion and solar houses for the moment.

SWITCH TO NEW YANKEE WORKSHOP. Watch Norm make stuff!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

I’d bet it is above the garage.

That would make sense. Force your kids to take piano lessons, but make them do it over the garage where you don't have to hear it.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Oh man, young Norm Abram. Never seen these early seasons. This is wild.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

If you bathe in this bathub you'll recharge your pussy crystals AND enjoy a comfortable soak. Now that is saving the environment!

Pink, white and bamboo Onyx bathtub designed by Johannes Torpe

edit oh god wait. Look at this. I can't tell if you're meant to get a christian baptism or generic burial in it.

Hans Verstuyft Architecten

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 9, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

FateFree posted:

Well i was in the house at one point but I ended up buying a different one, so short of me knocking on their door I probably won't be able to see them in person again. I was worried about the RGB/CMYK thing with using a digital hex color, but I will give that a try - thanks!
It depends on how much accuracy you need. Like, if it was your own wall and you needed to patch and repaint an area, so it had to be a 10000% flawless match, I wouldn't suggest this method.

But in this case, the goal is really just to get colors you like. The eyedropper tool is plenty fine for that. And if you don't like the test swatch, you can always take it back to Home Depot and ask them to make it a little darker/lighter/bluer/yellower/etc. Or pick only one of the colors and just tint it up, like on one of those cards, to get coordinating walls/ceiling. You can afford to be pretty chill about it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Anne Whateley posted:

But in this case, the goal is really just to get colors you like. The eyedropper tool is plenty fine for that. ...

Pro tip: camera noise and light variations make more of a difference than you might think when trying to capture the color from a single pixel. Consider using the smudge tool in a little swirl somewhere that doesn't have a bright spot or a shadow. Then eyedropper that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The eyedropper in Photoshop can (and I think by default does) pull from an area and take the average, not literally a single pixel

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

You inspired me to find original episodes of Furniture to Go, so thanks :)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

value-brand cereal posted:

edit oh god wait. Look at this. I can't tell if you're meant to get a christian baptism or generic burial in it.

Nothing says comfortable soak like concrete with straight lines and sharp edges :thumbsup:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

owns, gently caress those haters

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If you bathe in this bathub you'll recharge your pussy crystals AND enjoy a comfortable soak. Now that is saving the environment!

Pink, white and bamboo Onyx bathtub designed by Johannes Torpe

I love both of these

The second one would be better if it was pink though

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Would probably jerk off in the pussy tub...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, if that first tub is made from a single huge actual stone and not just some facsimile material, that is a horrifying waste of amazing material.

Also that second tub looks like an assassination opportunity in Hitman, shove the target over so he cracks his skull on the sharp edges.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

owns, gently caress those haters

I love the texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Anne Whateley posted:

The eyedropper in Photoshop can (and I think by default does) pull from an area and take the average, not literally a single pixel

I don't have Photoshop.