Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwusJsp5dLc

Everything looks amazing. Hearing those voices again goddamn.

Dream come true. Only another week. Sweet Christ almighty...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Rewatched a bit if Spiderverse again on Netflix in 4k. Each time the movie just gets better and better and I notice new details here and there like the PR flag on Miles's bag, some of family pictures on Aaron's apartment, Olivia name-dropping Fisk in the class video scene, etc.. This movie really raised the bar in a HUGE way for animated movies to me.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Rewatched a bit if Spiderverse again on Netflix in 4k. Each time the movie just gets better and better and I notice new details here and there like the PR flag on Miles's bag, some of family pictures on Aaron's apartment, Olivia name-dropping Fisk in the class video scene, etc.. This movie really raised the bar in a HUGE way for animated movies to me.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

doomrider7 posted:

This movie really raised the bar in a HUGE way for animated movies to me.
Extremely same, it's one of the standards by which I'm gonna judge everything that gets made from now on. Are you going to do anything as daring, or are you a drat coward?

JOIN ME OR DIE, CAN YOU DO ANY LESS?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aces High posted:

Having just seen The Lion King I have only this one thing to ask: what is with modern Disney being so sexless? Forget that "can you feel the love tonight" was shot in broad daylight, there is no sex between Nala and Simba, like they lick each other a couple times and then just go chill on a rock next to each other. It's just so boring and lifeless

Most people don't want to watch animals have sex

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Aces High posted:

Having just seen The Lion King I have only this one thing to ask: what is with modern Disney being so sexless? Forget that "can you feel the love tonight" was shot in broad daylight, there is no sex between Nala and Simba, like they lick each other a couple times and then just go chill on a rock next to each other. It's just so boring and lifeless

Because sex is shameful, op

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Remember when everyone, including this subforum was freaking out about Disney "catering to furries" with Zootopia?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and I thought y'all were being hysterical morons thinking that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ImpAtom posted:

Remember when everyone, including this subforum was freaking out about Disney "catering to furries" with Zootopia?

Were they not? It was a good movie and all, but still... that nudist colony scene was doing something for somebody.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

RBA Starblade posted:

Most people don't want to watch animals have sex

Well sure, but in the animated film we didn't see Simba and Nala have sex, however, their actions and expressions are pretty notable and lead to the conclusion. Comparatively, in the remake they don't really act any differently as adults than they did as children, so where is this "love" they are singing about?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Tedious

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

General Dog posted:

Were they not? It was a good movie and all, but still... that nudist colony scene was doing something for somebody.

Certain goons being turned on by them doesn't mean that there's anything inherently wrong about anthropomorphic animals in a kids movie

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

General Dog posted:

that scene was good and also very on brand for disney

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Viacom/Nickelodeon is buying Paws Inc. I don't have a particular attachment to Garfield, but I'm not too fond of a mega corporation owning another piece of pop culture.

Silver lining is that it isn't Disney.

Well, RIP Lasagna Cat, Garfielf, Garfield Minus Garfield, etc., because all that stuff is getting C&D’d instantly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Garfield Minus Garfield got an official release by Paws Inc, too. Nothing like that will be happening again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

let's go a step further, with the recent trailer for the anime adaptation for Beastars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ3wd6u4zlQ&hd=1

It looks real good, definitely some of the best 3DCG in a tv anime ever. It's by the Land of the Lustrous people, which was also gorgeous and also good, about a race of androgynous gemstone people who are being hunted by some buddha-looking fuckers to be turned into jewelry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZF4fJrPMC8&hd=1

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwusJsp5dLc

Everything looks amazing. Hearing those voices again goddamn.

Dream come true. Only another week. Sweet Christ almighty...

Oh wow, Richard Steven Horvitz has still got it.

This is looking like one of those rare reboots that's as good as the original.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hopefully Nick Bakay will take a break from writing Paul Blart Mall Cop 3* and they’ll do an Angry Beavers TV movie next.

*Yes, the voice actor of Norbert from Angry Beavers and Salem the cat from the 90s Sabrina show also wrote the Paul Blart Mall Cop duology, look it up

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is looking like one of those rare reboots that's as good as the original.

Of course he does. He's always been my favorite voice actor, and every time I heard him on that skylanders whatever, I was like "drat, that's straight Zim right there".

And I think it's going to work. No, I'm pretty sure of it. It looks gorgeous for one. But the main thing is Jhonen really doesn't like just repeating himself. When I read the comic back in '15, it gave me that same manic energy the series was known for, but it didn't feel like something that was done before. The jokes were new, the style was more refined. It felt like someone coming back and having a good time jumping back into the world than just cynically making GBS threads out a product.

I've bought almost every comic issue, and only recently have tapered off a bit. The stories started to repeat themselves a little too much lately, but the early comics were really awesome. Issue 5 (or 6?) kinda ruled the most because it actually brought some light character development for Dib and Gaz. Not enough to push it into a place where Zim shouldn't go, but enough to make go, alright, this is actually a bit special.

So yeah. I'm very hopeful this is going to work.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Aces High posted:

Well sure, but in the animated film we didn't see Simba and Nala have sex, however, their actions and expressions are pretty notable and lead to the conclusion. Comparatively, in the remake they don't really act any differently as adults than they did as children, so where is this "love" they are singing about?

I can't comment on Aladdin as I haven't seen it yet, but this seems like another "victim" of going with realistic animals. Real lions lack bedroom eyes.

Hedrigall posted:

Hopefully Nick Bakay will take a break from writing Paul Blart Mall Cop 3* and they’ll do an Angry Beavers TV movie next.

*Yes, the voice actor of Norbert from Angry Beavers and Salem the cat from the 90s Sabrina show also wrote the Paul Blart Mall Cop duology, look it up
I love his voice...or maybe I just love those parts and his voice combo.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Honestly, if they just got a team together to produce “Bye Bye Beavers” I’d be happy.

For anyone who’s never heard it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPP4zUDuo4c

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I stumbled across Titan A.E. on cable this morning and realized the main character is named "Cale"

like the vegetable

Gotta love the 2000's

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sir Lemming posted:

I stumbled across Titan A.E. on cable this morning and realized the main character is named "Cale"

like the vegetable

Gotta love the 2000's

You clearly haven't kept up with Dragon Ball

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir Lemming posted:

like the vegetable

Gotta love the 2000's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0gvn5SM7uM

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm more surprised someone in this thread has cable

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Looper posted:

I'm more surprised someone in this thread has cable

Visiting my parents, so...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just watched the Rocko's Modern Life movie, Static Cling. It was pretty interesting, and the subplot with Rachel Bighead was pretty interesting as the only person who made a thing out of it was Ed and he was going through a lot of shocks in a small period of time, so that last thing was just too much for him at that point.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I just watched the Rocko's Modern Life movie, Static Cling. It was pretty interesting, and the subplot with Rachel Bighead was pretty interesting as the only person who made a thing out of it was Ed and he was going through a lot of shocks in a small period of time, so that last thing was just too much for him at that point.

Someone had linked to an article somewhere on Twitter that said the team was in constant contact with GLAAD from early development all the way through the end of production.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rocko was good, and they did an impressive job of mimicking a style from 20 years ago.
Also the special is about clinging to the past. Ed is upset about the change to his kid, and Rocko wants his old cartoon back because it’s the only thing he has left. It’s not subtle at ALL, but Rocko never was.

It’s a bit of a shot at people who are overly invested in cartoons from their childhood. The new episode for Rocko’s old cartoon adds a new character that’s ties into the Rachel subplot, and Rocko has a mild breakdown over it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Currently watching Rocko and some of the YouTube jokes are fantastic.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There is also a ton of shade being thrown at Nickelodeon and Viacom, and I love it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pants Donkey posted:

Rocko was good, and they did an impressive job of mimicking a style from 20 years ago.
Also the special is about clinging to the past. Ed is upset about the change to his kid, and Rocko wants his old cartoon back because it’s the only thing he has left. It’s not subtle at ALL, but Rocko never was.

It’s a bit of a shot at people who are overly invested in cartoons from their childhood. The new episode for Rocko’s old cartoon adds a new character that’s ties into the Rachel subplot, and Rocko has a mild breakdown over it.

And I just got the title :doh:.

Also, I can't believe that in the very end, Ed freaking Bighead was the emotional core while Rocko fell full on into the type of toxic nostalgia (A WOMAN CHANGED IT) he was on the edge of for the entire movie. It was pretty great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally got around to watching the Rocko movie and it’s like the show never left. The look, writing, and voice acting were all just as spot on as ever (with almost every character both major and minor getting at least a small cameo) and I’m glad the whole Ralph subplot was handled gracefully.

It was a lot shorter than I expected (being roughly the length of two full episodes mashed together) but still good nonetheless. I’d love to see this lead into an actual revival of the show someday but I won’t hold my breath.

I appreciate that nobody cared about the whole Rachel thing except Ed (which is in-character at least). That said, Ed suddenly acting as the voice of reason at the end while Rocko was freaking out also worked surprisingly well.

Honestly my only real complaint was that it felt more like an extended episode rather than an actual movie (it’s only about 46 minutes long for one thing). I suppose that works well enough but it might have been nice to see a little more too.

That said, while I’d be completely onboard with the show getting a revival one day this does still kind of work as a belated series finale.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 11, 2019

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/1161352581131538432

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They only chose to use real dogs because of those stupid rear end "dog's purpose" movies making bank despite being horseshit. I know this even learning about this film 12 seconds ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

They only chose to use real dogs because of those stupid rear end "dog's purpose" movies making bank despite being horseshit. I know this even learning about this film 12 seconds ago.

I mean that makes more sense than any of the live action remakes so far

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Holy poo poo the Rocko special is just pitch perfect to the original cartoon

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh my god I checked the Spanish dub and they’re using the exact same voice actors as 20 years ago too, holy poo poo

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
It’s a little weird seeing it promoted on Netflix Kids, right next to a bunch of toddler shows. I’m not sitting here saying Rocko is “unfit for children” or anything, just unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

dirksteadfast posted:

It’s a little weird seeing it promoted on Netflix Kids, right next to a bunch of toddler shows. I’m not sitting here saying Rocko is “unfit for children” or anything, just unexpected.
I don’t know who configures their kid-friendly content, but there is definitely some questionable choices. If anything they need to have smaller age ranges to more appropriately sort titles. I remember when they started pitching NextGen in the same way and that is certainly not toddler stuff.