Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Brave New World posted:

So I got this crazy idea to try out Kinetic Melee, and I'm even thinking about doing it on one of my least favorite ATs: Scrapper. What I'm hearing about KM on Scrappers doesn't sound too good, but KM might be good on Stalkers(which doesn't fit my theme very well). Has anyone around here tried KM on a Brute?

I'm thinking about pairing it with Eng, Ele, or Rad.

Any thoughts on Kinetic Melee in general?

This is gonna sound pretty weird, but what about a stalker who doesn't hide? After the changes to stalkers, that actually seems fairly feasible. Without stealth, they're basically scrappers with a bit more burstiness and a bit less survivability. Unless your character concept needs to be tougher, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

HPanda posted:

This is gonna sound pretty weird, but what about a stalker who doesn't hide? After the changes to stalkers, that actually seems fairly feasible. Without stealth, they're basically scrappers with a bit more burstiness and a bit less survivability. Unless your character concept needs to be tougher, I guess.

That is a thing that you could do... but you have to take Hide at level 1, and it costs no end to run, so there no real reason to except as a self-imposed challenge.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

HPanda posted:

this is basically how kin stalker plays. you do a huge aoe burst opener then only slip back into hide for a split second before AOEing back out of it

there's not really a lot of "assassination" gameplay like most people think of when they think of stalker. you're basically a scrapper with benefits tbh

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Gynovore posted:

That is a thing that you could do... but you have to take Hide at level 1, and it costs no end to run, so there no real reason to except as a self-imposed challenge.

I know, and it gives a nice Defense boost to boot, but just throwing the idea out there for the person that sounded like being a stalker didn't fit their theme but being a scrapper did. Just wanted to point out that the theme can remain intact unless the character really needs to be tougher.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

HPanda posted:

I know, and it gives a nice Defense boost to boot, but just throwing the idea out there for the person that sounded like being a stalker didn't fit their theme but being a scrapper did. Just wanted to point out that the theme can remain intact unless the character really needs to be tougher.

you'll still get hide procs from the ATO unless you skip that, and it'd be a shame bc its super good

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

HPanda posted:

Just playing a Scrapper instead of a Brute(for once) is enough of a compromise WRT toughness. I really don't want to gently caress around with any extra mechanics like stealth on this toon, I'm just looking for a simple face-punching experience.

I had a 50 Claws/SR that was one of my mains at shutdown, so I know Stalkers well enough to know that they're not my first choice for this CC, but we'll see.

I AM THE MOON posted:

this is basically how kin stalker plays. you do a huge aoe burst opener then only slip back into hide for a split second before AOEing back out of it

there's not really a lot of "assassination" gameplay like most people think of when they think of stalker. you're basically a scrapper with benefits tbh
So you've actually played a Kin Stalker? What're your overall thoughts?

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 5, 2019

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Brave New World posted:

So you've actually played a Kin Stalker? What're your overall thoughts?

one of the best stalker primaries because its got a huge loving pbaoe that 100% crits from stealth, and super high buildup uptime from its t9. visually its like a more mystical martial arts so its great aesthetically if you wanna lean into that. it even gets a hadouken.

single target is a little lower than a broadsword, street justice, or ninja blade stalker(probably, my NB is still being leveled but its ST feels strong) but it definitely wins in aoe, and if you take a snipe (from patron pools) it can keep instasnipe running a lot more from all the buildup.

I went kin/elec armor so i cant talk about whether it has end issues or not (since elec has infinite end)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I have run into end trouble on Highly Visible Ninja's Kin/, but I think that can mostly be traced to his /Energy secondary, which has a recharge bonus based on how many enemies are in melee range.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's the scrapper version, stalker /energy gets a flat 20% rech bonus.

Once you get energy drain and energise your end troubles should go the way of the dodo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Organization is a little janky, but here is a 3mb 7z file of 3500-4000 builds for use in the newer (i25)Mids/Pines builders thought there may be a few older ones.
If it doesnt open in a new version then open it in the older version.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/5093-3500-build-concepts

Here is a link to the newer version of Mids.
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/5728-mids-reborn-a-hero-designer-formerly-midspines-and-whatnot/

It doesnt have all builds.
For instance, I don't see one for my Archery/Temporal Blaster, Beam Rifle/Kinetics Corrupter or my Illusion/Sonic Controller.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/7629-an-update-from-the-homecoming-team/

This is certainly interesting. The Homecoming team is directly negotiating with NCSoft to make Homecoming a "legitimate operation" and I'm really, really curious what that means. They intend to keep it free to play, but like... Are they trying to get the rights? Get NCSoft involved in running the game again? I'm very curious what the actual end goal is here. They can't yet say what they're actually working on but insist that Homecoming will stay Homecoming and stay not-for-profit. Beyond that, no details yet.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 8, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ncsoft-forced microtransactions in my illegal emu server

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So they're working with Titan Network for this. That means TonyV is involved. That means nothing good will come of it. After all, he killed the Save COH Movement.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I like that if we started selling "Oh, we're in 'talks' with NCsoft :smuggo:" t-shirts 7 years ago we'd still have a reason to print more.

One big difference between protestants and catholics is protestants believe anyone can have personal talks with NCsoft but catholics think talks with NCsoft must be mediated through a scammy kickstarter.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's a surprising development in general. NCSoft could shut down Homecoming at any time, but they're willing to negotiate for... some reason? It's very weird.

Like I have no idea what could realistically come of this. They insist Homecoming will stay free and non-profit, but what are they trying to achieve? Buyb the rights? Get access to internal dev tools? Just plain ensure NCSoft never shuts them down and be done with it? What's even realistic at this point?

Over on Reddit, members of the Homecoming team are saying that in-game monetization is "a dealbreaker for everyone involved."

Edit: The most reasonable hypothesis I've seen is that they're trying to negotiate a standard software licensing agreement where they can just pay NCSoft a regular fee to keep using their software. NCSoft stays hands-off and makes free money, Homecoming needs to make more donations each month to keep operating.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 8, 2019

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

its just TonyV obsessed with everything being Done Legally somehow roping the homecoming people into his madness, im sure

like, this is working fine as-is, NCsoft isn't bothering the homecoming team or anything. just let it go, who cares about having an NCsoft Approved stamp on your server? who does that benefit? what does it change? its a lot of work for nothing other than bragging rights that you're The Official Server and the others Aren't

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can see there being some value in knowing that NCSoft isn't going to swoop in and shut it down any second, as opposed to just being pretty sure because they probably would've done it by now if they cared. But I guess I shouldn't speculate too much until they announce something more concrete.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I forsee us all migrating to goon server soon.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

that'd put it up to like 15 people online during peak hours

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That really depends on what the deal is. If it's just a licensing agreement, that doesn't change much for Homecoming players, though it has some possibly worrying implications for non-Homecoming servers like Rebirth (Do you try to negotiate licensing? Can you afford it? Does this give NCSoft a reason to go after you and shut you down if your can't?).

If NCSoft becomes directly involved in Homecoming that's another thing entirely, though if the team is to be believed, they have no intention of charging money or allowing MTX into the game so who knows why they'd bother when they could just shut it down.

Of course it's possible the whole thing implodes and Homecoming shuts down. Clearly that's not what NCSoft wants quite yet (there's nothing to negotiate there, they could just C&D immediately) but I guess things could go horribly wrong.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

My chief concern? Give me more new costume pieces

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hup posted:

This, but also deep concern when NCSoft mandates that all the new costume pieces are Wildstar-themed.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

What if NCSoft's stipulation is that they need to run a Homecoming Wildstar server as well? Nah not even NCSoft could be that sadistic.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

hup posted:

Being able to make new costume pieces would be amazing and I could see why they would want to negotiate with NCSoft first, if that's the case.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

If we get new content out of it and remains f2p then I don’t care whose name is on the box. If they gently caress it up I have other games to play life is meaningless and nothing matters.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

All of this licensing business aside, I just found out my mentally challenged little sister made an account a month ago, joined goonsquad...
and, gently caress, you guys looked after her.
She says you got her to SO levels.

Goons are the best

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

All of this licensing business aside, I just found out my mentally challenged little sister made an account a month ago, joined goonsquad...

Goons are the best

:kimchi:

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Goons are the best

hell yeah friend, hell yeah.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Well, Homecoming did the impossible. They made Time Bomb not completely suck.

Homecoming BETA Patch Notes posted:

Powers - Devices

Changed Web Grenade to Toxic Web Grenade, now deals scale 1 toxic DoT and can be slotted for damage
Taser: Recharge reduced from 20 to 10 seconds, duration reduced from scale 10 to scale 5, damage increased from 0.25 to 1.96 (same damage as Energy Punch)
Time Bomb: Animation is now 2.77 seconds, interrupt time removed, countdown reduced to 5 seconds, defiance values reduced to match (this only applies to this set, not to the Traps support set versions.)
Trip Mine: Interrupt removed. Cast time is now 2.77 seconds. Recharge increased to 30 seconds.
Targeting Drone now gives your first attack from out of combat a Built-Up effect (80% damage) and continues to provide a 20% damage buff while in combat.

Full BETA Patch Notes here

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/7806-patch-notes-for-august-11th-2019/

Note this is for the BETA server so any or all of this might change of course, but it's interesting to see what they're working on.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 11, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
:arghfist::saddowns:

quote:

Make it somewhat less likely for defeated enemies to be twisted into pretzels:

Overhaul ragdoll parameters. The spring and dampen settings must have been different in older versions of PhysX, because the ones in NwRagdoll did almost nothing; which is why everything was so limp.
Fixed joints (for all bones that don't have a spherical or hinge joint with special parameters) are apparently not working correctly, so replace them with a hinge joint that has a very small range of motion.

That's a terrible change.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
They also made propel objects less like styrofoam.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

They also made propel objects less like styrofoam.

It's like they're trying to ruin the game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

On Indomitable? Hmmm...

OK, looks like I'm not really doing anything with that name. What's your global? I'll free it up next time I see you in channel.

OK I've managed to tear myself away from FFXIV for a while so I should be around more often. What's your global name?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Already freed it up, grab it quick.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Got it, gently caress yeah!

Thanks a ton

Have a screenshot (plus a shitload of other really dumb character names):

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 12, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
loving 70 alts.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

OgNar posted:

loving 70 alts.

Look I don't have a problem, I can stop whenever I want, okay

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OgNar posted:

loving 70 alts.

Those are rookie numbers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And here I thought my 50-something was up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
poo poo, I have a whopping 14 characters, and 3 of them are "abandoned with a crappy name change so I could reroll a slightly different toon with the good name".