Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's also vital to note (especially in the context of that Chris Williamson tweet) that due to the disproportionate percentage of BAME, LGBTQ+ and disabled people within the working class that identity politics is class politics and class politics is identity politics. You can't discuss one without the other and dividing the two is what the right-wing does to keep the poor distracted instead of turning on the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

So they're refusing to go into a coalition with labour to avoid no deal which would cause economic collapse because Corbyn is a danger to the economy.

Great. Love the piss diamonds.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gonzo McFee posted:

So they're refusing to go into a coalition with labour to avoid no deal which would cause economic collapse because Corbyn is a danger to the economy.

Great. Love the piss diamonds.

Half of them have convinced themselves Corbyn would be worse. The other half are terrified of a left wing leader of any party, and just want more pressure applied to him.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
This "government of national unity" bullshit is just an attempt to get a centrist government through backroom political deals since tig/cuk showed that there was no chance of one winning an election

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm enjoying Wren-Lewis being gradually radicalised by centrists frantically flailing to the right every time the vague possibility of a left-of-centre government existing rears its head

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A useful addition to our vocabulary:

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1159370366059536384?s=21

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
loving lol that the shy Tories are now parroting literal Tory attack lines

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Rarity posted:

It's also vital to note (especially in the context of that Chris Williamson tweet) that due to the disproportionate percentage of BAME, LGBTQ+ and disabled people within the working class that identity politics is class politics and class politics is identity politics. You can't discuss one without the other and dividing the two is what the right-wing does to keep the poor distracted instead of turning on the rich.

I've had some luck with explaining this in the context of intersectionality as class is the intersection - it's not an identity in the same way race, gender, sexuality etc are (as some liberals would have you believe), it's an economic relationship. That's not to say that race, gender, sexuality etc are irrelevant distractions (as weird dogmatic tankies would) but that class analysis provides the tools with which to understand the importance of those other factors and the ways in which they interact with one another + relate to various oppressions.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

It's lucky that the UK's future prospects are so rock-solid under Tory stewardship or the Lib Dems would look really stupid.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Big Short is on the iPlayer and it's still a really surprisingly entertaining for a film about number go up and then suddenly number go all the way down.

Can't wait to see what impressive fraud brings the house of cards down this time and nothing changes because capitalism is just insisting everything is fine while the house burns down.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Did anyone watch The Great Hack on Netflix? How was it?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Bill Gates predictably has lovely Libertarian opinions, but compared to Jeff Bezos he's a saint.

I mean I guess technically the asteroid that wiped the dinosaurs out can be considered morally superior to Jeff Bezos, but still

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

The Big Short is on the iPlayer and it's still a really surprisingly entertaining for a film about number go up and then suddenly number go all the way down.

Can't wait to see what impressive fraud brings the house of cards down this time and nothing changes because capitalism is just insisting everything is fine while the house burns down.

it's conjuring up unlimited bets on other people's investments and calling them "synthetic derivatives" op

which is what John McD was saying Javid was actively involved in creating at Deutsche Bank...

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

quote:

Synthetic products get far more complex than synthetic convertibles or positions. Synthetic CDOs, for example, invest in credit default swaps. The synthetic CDO itself is further split into tranches that offer different risk profiles to large investors. These products can offer significant returns, but the nature of the structure can also leave high-risk, high-return tranche holders facing contractual liabilities that are not fully valued at the time of purchase. 

guillotines for bankers

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah, the key thing there is the credit default swaps - it's not like a normal CDO where, in the end, you're holding actual real debt like a mortgage someone took out. These are made up of insurance policies taken out on that debt - a bet on whether it will pay out for the owner, or default and lose them money

Like the big drive at first was to loan as much as possible to as many people as possible, just to generate that raw debt to package up into bonds and CDOs you could sell - that's why there was so much predatory lending. But what if... you just packaged up bets on existing debt? In-play betting on a global financial scale, on credit, just literally trillions of dollars why not

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

baka kaba posted:

Like the big drive at first was to loan as much as possible to as many people as possible, just to generate that raw debt to package up into bonds and CDOs you could sell - that's why there was so much predatory lending. But what if... you just packaged up bets on existing debt? In-play betting on a global financial scale, on credit, just literally trillions of dollars why not

So it's an amplification of the behaviour of the underlying debt. I sure hope no economic shocks occur. Do the no-deal forecasts take these into account, or is it just one of these financial instruments that are going to give wildly different valuations depending on who you ask?

e: and that's not even considering the additional risk of adding another financial institution to the chain, which can also fail

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 9, 2019

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Watching the Chinese police conducting their anti riot prep just across the border in Shenzhen, and the fact of very right wing governments in the US and UK, I have a very nasty feeling the next few years will see a global swing towards normalising much harsher policing / more use of the military in putting down civil unrest.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Can I bet that I won't pay off my own debt

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^ if you can find a very smart financial institution, sure! How's your rolodex looking?

Tarnop posted:

So it's an amplification of the behaviour of the underlying debt. I sure hope no economic shocks occur. Do the no-deal forecasts take these into account, or is it just one of these financial instruments that are going to give wildly different valuations depending on who you ask?

e: and that's not even considering the additional risk of adding another financial institution to the chain, which can also fail

Yeah it's leveraging to hell - the winners win big, the losers lose big, to the point where they can't actually pay up and the winners have these toxic assets that won't pay out... unless... what if governments bail these institutions out, so they can afford to pay up!

AIG was the insurer selling a lot of the credit swaps, taking the other side of those bets. Guess what happened to them

Plus the CDOs they were betting on were already a joke - the tranches are about risk/reward, as debtors default the lower rated tranches lose money first until they're wiped out (they get a higher rate for taking that risk). The upper tranches are safe until the defaults creep up and wipe out the lower ones, so those are sold as A rated safe investments. So of course what they did is take a load of those Z-rated risky tranches and package them up in a new stack, and rate the top ones as A+ safe, even though they're all the first ones to get wiped out in the derivatives they're coming from they're all bad this is gonna fall over immediately good thing the underlying debt isn't all based on a single overheated market where people have been mass-sold debt they can't afford and they're all gonna default at the same time waaaait a minute

This is all about the 2008 crash though, I have no idea what they're up to now, probably keeping their noses clean I'm sure!!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pretty good thunderstorm rolling over Cardiff

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

He could move to Wales.

Not that I really want him to move here, but I imagine most schools still belt out Mae Hhen Wlad Fy Nhadau here.

Do they?? I don't remember learning the anthem until I started going to rugby matches...

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

baka kaba posted:

This is all about the 2008 crash though, I have no idea what they're up to now, probably keeping their noses clean I'm sure!!

Well, an hour or so of searching and the one thing everyone seems to be worried about is volatility trading, specifically that it's starting to feed back into the underlying market whose volatility is being tracked, which sounds... bad

Even if the feedback isn't happening, volatility trends down when market performance is up, and everyone is almost certainly neck deep in it because it's been free money while central bank intervention has kept volatility nice and low. So if the markets improve too quickly then everyone loses a poo poo load of money.

I'm just trying to take that in for a moment. We bailed out the banks, and their response was to place bets that we'd keep doing it.

The quote at the end of this article from last year could be straight from The Big Short:

https://www.ft.com/content/24a421fe-0d5c-11e8-8eb7-42f857ea9f09

Also, thanks for doing a big finance effort post, this stuff is slippery and easy to forget which I guess means working as intended

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

I'm just trying to take that in for a moment. We bailed out the banks, and their response was to place bets that we'd keep doing it.

It's not as if this is an unreasonable bet :v:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Robot Mil posted:

Do they?? I don't remember learning the anthem until I started going to rugby matches...
:shrug: It has, admittedly, been 18 years since I was in comprehensive school and 23 years since I was in primary. Which is a depressing thought!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Darth Walrus posted:

Did anyone watch The Great Hack on Netflix? How was it?

It was all facebook ads that done it, definitely not any of the structural issues within society that the ads easily played on.

There’s also a hilarious scene where Carole cadwalladr gives a big verbal sloppy blowjob to the “gods of Silicon Valley” as if they might do anything.

Pretty melty liberal piss tbh but it’s interesting at least when it analyses the “how” of Cambridge Analytica, totally fails at the why though.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Sanitary Naptime posted:

It was all facebook ads that done it, definitely not any of the structural issues within society that the ads easily played on.

There’s also a hilarious scene where Carole cadwalladr gives a big verbal sloppy blowjob to the “gods of Silicon Valley” as if they might do anything.

Pretty melty liberal piss tbh but it’s interesting at least when it analyses the “how” of Cambridge Analytica, totally fails at the why though.

As ever, it was advocacy of tinkering around the edges (RUSSIA, ADS) instead of the actual difficult reality (literally anything else).

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Speaking of Bill Gates and charity remember when when his foundations paid nbc a significant amount of money to write a law and order episode where a teachers union protected a terrorist in the middle of a bombing campaign as part of his campaign against unions for daring to oppose his drive to privatise education.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Watching the Chinese police conducting their anti riot prep just across the border in Shenzhen, and the fact of very right wing governments in the US and UK, I have a very nasty feeling the next few years will see a global swing towards normalising much harsher policing / more use of the military in putting down civil unrest.

Yeah, you just need to look at the handling of the gilets jaunes protests in France (fire tear gas and baton rounds first, blame it all on anarchists later).

Or how just over a month ago, riot cops violently broke up a music night concert when they kept playing music past 2am. It was next to a river and about 20 people fell in the water. Reportedly, the cop kept firing tear gas for about 20 more minutes so rescue efforts were hampered. One guy stayed missing and they found his body about a week ago. The reaction by mainstream media/politicians has basically been "Well, what can you do? Make riot police not escalate things every single time? That's crazy talk."

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

oh wow so you're telling me all these centrist assholes care about is maintaing private property? i'm shocked.

i'm starting to wonder if the centrists are just controlled opposition to feed off people defecting to the left so that property rights will be preserved.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Honestly they are too melty and incompetent for me to believe that. They're just a bunch of useless wankers without the brains they were born with.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

All powerful control conspiracies are as dead as liberal satire, the levels of incompetence on display by those in charge disprove any notion of a grand plan easily.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ms Adequate posted:

Honestly they are too melty and incompetent for me to believe that. They're just a bunch of useless wankers without the brains they were born with.

You're right about centrist politicians but I don't doubt that centrist parties get funding from wealthy Tories just to split votes in elections. Just look at the list of people who were funding CHUK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

They will continue to push and push and push until either one of two things happens; there's the death of a photogenic blonde baby at police hands and a following public outrage, or people fight back and continue fighting back past the point of "oh these violent thugs" until change happens.

Tarnop posted:

Well, an hour or so of searching and the one thing everyone seems to be worried about is volatility trading, specifically that it's starting to feed back into the underlying market whose volatility is being tracked, which sounds... bad

Even if the feedback isn't happening, volatility trends down when market performance is up, and everyone is almost certainly neck deep in it because it's been free money while central bank intervention has kept volatility nice and low. So if the markets improve too quickly then everyone loses a poo poo load of money.

The quote at the end of this article from last year could be straight from The Big Short:

https://www.ft.com/content/24a421fe-0d5c-11e8-8eb7-42f857ea9f09

Also, thanks for doing a big finance effort post, this stuff is slippery and easy to forget which I guess means working as intended
So, hypothetically, what would have happened if the government had just told the banks that they shouldn't play stupid loving games and let them fail, protected individual and small business savings up to £50k or whatever is recommended, and piled that £1t into snapping up assets during the resulting market confusion and making them public owned entities?

The Libearian posted:

Speaking of Bill Gates and charity remember when when his foundations paid nbc a significant amount of money to write a law and order episode where a teachers union protected a terrorist in the middle of a bombing campaign as part of his campaign against unions for daring to oppose his drive to privatise education.
L&O is fascist apologia anyway.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

L&O is fascist apologia anyway.

I just started watching this and literally the second episode is about a white chick who shoots and kills two black youths leading to debates about race and class all of which are already handled badly until at the end it turns out the black kid was absolutely going to rape her so yeah, shooting them was totally cool and the lady gets off without any jail time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:doink:

I mean it's called Law & Order and it tends to present the audience with a supposed reliable God's Eye version of events so I don't see how it could end up anything else but some flavor of authoritarian bullshit. And under the capitalist mode of media production that will tend towards some kind of 'authoritarian centrist' bullshit :hitler:

Mostly unrelated, my loving brain :psyduck:
https://twitter.com/lizbilney/status/1159193442595086338

https://twitter.com/lizbilney/status/1159194812811304966

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Guavanaut posted:

They will continue to push and push and push until either one of two things happens; there's the death of a photogenic blonde baby at police hands and a following public outrage, or people fight back and continue fighting back past the point of "oh these violent thugs" until change happens.

So, hypothetically, what would have happened if the government had just told the banks that they shouldn't play stupid loving games and let them fail, protected individual and small business savings up to £50k or whatever is recommended, and piled that £1t into snapping up assets during the resulting market confusion and making them public owned entities?

The government had a massive stake in HBOS but it all got sold off at a discount once the bank recovered. That absolutely should have been nationalised.

As far as the rest of it goes, I'm not smart enough to know what would happen under those circumstances. For me, the absolute worst part of it is that so many people have gone back to thinking our economy works like a household budget, despite the fact that we conjured a colossal amount of money out of thin air for bail outs and fiscal stimulus. I guess people can make the connection of "the bank is where my money is" -> "can't let everyone's money disappear or the economy dies", but then when it's the NHS or welfare, paying for services that allow people to participate in the economy is equivalent to blowing a month's salary on a big telly.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
emergency liquidity and structural commitments are not the same thing...

anyway RBS turned out to be fundamentally solvent, and HBOS fundamentally insolvent, which exactly illustrates the difficulty of attempting to provide emergency liquidity but not a blank cheque

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

I mean it's called Law & Order and it tends to present the audience with a supposed reliable God's Eye version of events so I don't see how it could end up anything else but some flavor of authoritarian bullshit.
I can totally imagine a show called Law & Order, presenting the audience with a God's Eye version of events, that is a total condemnation of police/justice system worship. Just have the show be a constant parade of officers shooting people for carrying toy pistols/cars/nothing, detectives railroading them, and politicians defending this. Like, don't even have a tragic "This is what the officer thought they saw and they're real sorry" clip to contrast with what really happened, just film shootings from the point of the cops while clearly showing that the person isn't a threat at all.

I mean, it'd be ACAB the show, but Law & Order would be a totally appropriate name. Whether you could get it made is another matter - it's one thing to have a show that says "people within the justice system can be corrupt", it's quite another to say "the justice system is corrupt".

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ronya posted:

emergency liquidity and structural commitments are not the same thing...

Yeah, with structural commitment you're less likely to see your money siphoned off into private wealth as soon as the crisis is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
possibly, but it's always worth being very clear on the objectives before setting up funding

is the Treasury's role to be a passive investor, or is this industrial policy, or is this a tax on the hapless minority shareholders to fund a public interest goal, etc.