Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
You can buy infinity of the arcane crystals once the dark merchant’s ship opens up post timeskip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, but I think the point stands rather well.

I think the best recipient of levin swords is actually your dancer, since they get the delicious +20 sword avo, and they're likely to have been a mage.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Amppelix posted:

your dancer […] likely to have been a mage.

why do people do this

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Amppelix posted:

Ok, but I think the point stands rather well.

I think the best recipient of levin swords is actually your dancer, since they get the delicious +20 sword avo, and they're likely to have been a mage.

Zoran posted:

why do people do this

Because Dancers can still use magic if they need it, but it always needs to be Ferdie.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Lysithea does too if you level her faith which is the biggest reason why i dont use Manuela tbh

One warper good, two warpers better.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zoran posted:

why do people do this
The game is bursting with mages, you shouldn't mind losing one. And the class can, uh, use magic. That should be obvious. It doesn't even have bad bases or caps like dancers used to have so they'll be perfectly capable of contributing some damage or doing some enemy phase action if need be.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zoran posted:

why do people do this

because it's the easiest way to give a mage 6 movement

alternatively, your mages are likely to be lagging behind in xp because of 4 movement, and dancer is a good way to make your worst unit suddenly be good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ROFL Octopus posted:

One warper good, two warpers better.

tbh manuela is a barely a warper. Her range is kinda poo poo.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Miftan posted:

Because Dancers can still use magic if they need it, but it always needs to be Ferdie.

Yeah, but dancers will only use magic on enemy phase, and that’s not something most of the natural mages want to be doing

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

My dancer can also drop fuckoff huge meteors once per battle

Also she has good skill levels to pick up Mortal Savant just because

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why are you dancing on literally every turn

it's not automatically better in all situations

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Why are you dancing on literally every turn

it's not automatically better in all situations

Yes it is. Buying an action for your super units is better than any single action a dancer can do other than dance

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This isn't every previous FE where dancers were completely useless in anything that isn't dancing

Sometimes an extra unit taking an action is better than one unit moving twice. Sometimes you'll want magic damage while only having other physical units present.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
oops, I made Lysie my dancer.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Also I don't play FE in a way where I have super units, in fact I try to avoid that at all costs and have my whole team be equally useful, which is pretty easy in 3H

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I made Petra a dancer because I heard they were good with swords and she was slacking a little bit

and then I get the class and it was like "hey BTW this class can also use magic" :downs:
she's still useful, but more in a jack-of-all-trades way.

e:

Amppelix posted:

Also I don't play FE in a way where I have super units, in fact I try to avoid that at all costs and have my whole team be equally useful, which is pretty easy in 3H
same, but, to be fair: if Edelgard's anything to go by, the main unit for each house is in their own weight class when it comes to usefulness. Girl can fight an army by herself and win.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 8, 2019

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Amppelix posted:

This isn't every previous FE where dancers were completely useless in anything that isn't dancing

Sometimes an extra unit taking an action is better than one unit moving twice. Sometimes you'll want magic damage while only having other physical units present.

Dancers can actually do work on enemy phase now, which is great, but that doesn’t change the logic on your player phase actions. You’re going to get more output every turn if you’re constantly looking for ways to use double Meteor, or Warp twice, or Stride your entire army, or abuse Canto for safe double kills, or basically anything else other than having your dancer cast a spell.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sometimes the dancer can do the job themselves and the unit they'd refresh needs to end turn elsewhere.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Id rather move hubert twice than move hubert once and have dorothea fart out a weak rear end Thoron.

Generally. Dorothea is still a decent mage if you DONT make her a dancer but you may as well since Hubert/Annette/Lysithea generally do mage stuff better

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's probably because I haven't gotten to the point where this stuff is introduced or explained but whenever I see people talking about striding, warping, canto etc. I am totally lost

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zoran posted:

Dancers can actually do work on enemy phase now, which is great, but that doesn’t change the logic on your player phase actions. You’re going to get more output every turn if you’re constantly looking for ways to use double Meteor, or Warp twice, or Stride your entire army, or abuse Canto for safe double kills, or basically anything else other than having your dancer cast a spell.
I agree generally, I just think you don't need to so categorically refuse to ever use them for something else even in theoretically optimised play

and secondly gently caress optimised play anyway, this game isn't even hard

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

it's probably because I haven't gotten to the point where this stuff is introduced or explained but whenever I see people talking about striding, warping, canto etc. I am totally lost

Stride is a battalion skill that gives everyone around you +5 move, canto lets mounted units move after attacking and warp lets you warp dudes far away if you need to split your guys. It helps to have as many options as possible to move your units where they need to go

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

indigi posted:

If you have a mounted unit of any kind, you have a unit with Canto. It's a passive every mounted and flying unit has that lets them move again after most actions.

Stride is a gambit that massively increases the movement range of affected units for one turn. You can do some pretty crazy poo poo with it.

Warp is a white magic spell that lets your mage send someone super far across the battlefield instantly. Lysithea, Linhardt, and Manuela can learn it by leveling Faith.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 8, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Oooh, I've been using that stuff (except warp) already without knowing what it was called. thanks!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

“Some battalions” ... stride

I’ve only seen the one so far, what are the others because I need them stat

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

indigi posted:

not sure about striding, but
Canto - horseys can move after attacking if they didn't run the full length of their move points before
Warp - in approx one out of every ten maps there will be an inconvenient wall, if your white mage is decent enough, they can plonk a slow but strong character on the other side of the wall and let them wreck shop. This only has 1 or 2 uses for some reason.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I know you get a B rank cavalry battalion with Stride from Lorenz's paralogue

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I was assuming there was another but maybe not. I figure there are a bunch of battalions I've never encountered hiding in paralogues somewhere.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

You’ve been able to cheese entire sections of the game with warp in multiple games in this series and warp was absent for the 3DS games

It is broken as poo poo and at least we get it this game

Zoran posted:

I know you get a B rank cavalry battalion with Stride from Lorenz's paralogue

I only got the staff but don’t recall getting the battalion

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Lorenz's paralogue gives you a cavalry battalion with stride and I THINK you can get one thru Petra/Bernie's paralogue but the only one i know of for sure is from the Seiros Holy Monks

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Id rather move hubert twice than move hubert once and have dorothea fart out a weak rear end Thoron.

Generally. Dorothea is still a decent mage if you DONT make her a dancer but you may as well since Hubert/Annette/Lysithea generally do mage stuff better

Dorothea has an extremely long range spell (meteor) that the others don't, as well as being a pretty potent faith user to boot. I'd say all the mages in this game have their 'niches' where they are better than others, Dorothea's being range.

I have at least two stride batallion, and I expect I could buy others too.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Arkeus posted:

Dorothea has an extremely long range spell (meteor) that the others don't, as well as being a pretty potent faith user to boot. I'd say all the mages in this game have their 'niches' where they are better than others, Dorothea's being range.

I think of all the units with a strength in Reason, only Annette has a spell list I’d call disappointing. She gets only four Reason spells, none of which have extra range or huge might. But her strength in Axes and her magical axe art tempt me to try the old Wyvern Elise maneuver with her.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Here is a lesson in the applications of warp (screenshot of the february map for black eagles, including the identity of the somewhat spoilery boss):

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Annette is also a fantastic rally bot and her repertoire of rally skills makes her competitive for a deployment slot

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Annette makes a perfectly serviceable backup mage in maps with a lot of armor. She's got good rally utility if you need it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Annette is also a fantastic rally bot and her repertoire of rally skills makes her competitive for a deployment slot

Yeah, I think quadruple rally Bolt Axe Wyvern Lord would be pretty fun! That’s the other thing, her rally utility is kind of in tension with mages' low mobility, and putting her on wings seems really appealing

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The interesting thing about the White Magic movement spells is that while Warp has three people who can learn it, and all are decent at magic, Rescue only has two - and of those one has an absolute garbage Magic stat and growth. And said decent user isn't even available for all routes, whereas all the Warp users are.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah, Annette's great in getting three different Rally skills plus her innate, and they're all at least decent ones too.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Zoran posted:

I think of all the units with a strength in Reason, only Annette has a spell list I’d call disappointing. She gets only four Reason spells, none of which have extra range or huge might. But her strength in Axes and her magical axe art tempt me to try the old Wyvern Elise maneuver with her.

Anette has a anti-flying spell with significant hit and crit (Excalibur), and Agnea's Arrow, the highest might black magic spell. OTOH, she has both Cutting Wind and Sagittae, and Sagittae is basically a poor man's cutting wind? and it's the B rank spell too :(

What Anette really excels at is Rally, though I am unsure how long Rally actually works for.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arkeus posted:

Anette has a anti-flying spell with significant hit and crit (Excalibur), and Agnea's Arrow, the highest might black magic spell. OTOH, she has both Cutting Wind and Sagittae, and Sagittae is basically a poor man's cutting wind? and it's the B rank spell too :(

What Anette really excels at is Rally, though I am unsure how long Rally actually works for.

Rally is only one turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Arkeus posted:

Unless Serenes Forest is wrong, she doesn’t get Agnea's Arrow. Only Dorothea and Lorenz get that.