Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Still waiting for reviews but cautiously optimistic for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Colostomy Bag posted:

Your honor, we present Ben Lesnick, Developer. Tune into your VHF frequency as he is being airlifted above.

And then a bulldozer rolls into the courtroom and shoves him into a trench.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

It's so transparent that they aren't really welcome at these shows anymore, but nobody can stop them from going to a bar nearby and the Citizens don't seem to understand the difference. It's really something.

"We will be at <insert con name here>, so come and join us at the local pub for a Bar Citizen!"

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I'm waiting until we get tier-0 server side goon container streaming.

What comes first? Backer's get star citizen or something awful gets xenforo 2.0?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

I've played quite a bit of NEXT, but I'm not interested in multi player or VR. So I don't think this update has enough to pull me back in.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Still lacking female character models, I see.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Krycek posted:

I see a couple but the seem to be T-posing with strangely elongated fingers.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Hav posted:

Ahh, the great Cornholio; constantly in a search for TP for his bunghole.

Beware lest you threaten him.

Edit: That's "ZDF Cult", which more brand reinforcement for https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/ZILLA

You'll note that they have 'openings' for massage therapists, meaning all that rubbing is a positive.

:discourse: This made me laugh out loud.

Never got why people do the "American Kirby" look IRL.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Krycek posted:

Don't worry - when the final publicity shots are released, there'll be a healthy ratio of :females: dragged in from catering and pushed to the front to make it look like Star Citizen isn't a weird fedora-toting basement-dwelling overwhelmingly male cult.

Hell, they might even be able to rustle up a couple of people of colour to show how diverse the 'Verse really is.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Don't worry - when the final publicity shots are released, there'll be a healthy ratio of :females: dragged in from catering and pushed to the front to make it look like Star Citizen isn't a weird fedora-toting basement-dwelling overwhelmingly male cult.

Hell, they might even be able to rustle up a couple of people of colour to show how diverse the 'Verse really is.

Sounds like SJW talk there buddy.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
So I assume that aliens come next after they finish up female models? Let's see some Vandool in action!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

monkeytek posted:

Sounds like SJW talk there buddy.

I know - explosive stuff when held near the Star Citizen flame.

There's an odd thing about Star Citizen (well, there are loads of odd things, but bear with me) - the Venn diagram for the ardent backer suggests many an intersection between said backer and, erm, the more out there views, but you never hear that right wing Norwegian dude, for example, complaining about the black face models in the character creator.

One more example of Star Citizen getting a pass in a situation where fury would be their normal response, I guess.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

loving hacks. Coming from a disastrous launch three years ago to fulfilling nearly every broken promise.

They know nothing about game development; it's hard and takes a lot longer than they did it, with more people.

Krycek posted:

What comes first? Backer's get star citizen or something awful gets xenforo 2.0?

Love Pledge will be released first. Have faith, the only reason that we haven't heard about it in such a long time is because they're finally working on the procedural wallpaper; up next, netcode.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 8, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Hav posted:

loving hacks. Coming from a disastrous launch three years ago to fulfilling nearly every broken promise.

They know nothing about game development; it's hard and takes a lot longer than they did it, with more people.

They also managed to get VR in by simply pushing the VR button at the end. You don’t loving need to build VR from the ground up fudster goonie. Check mate.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Fidelitious posted:

Hah, fools! I didn't pay money to post on a forum.
I paid money to post in this particular stupid thread.
My hater rage is through the roof.

To help out with the calculation of time spent on hating I will disclose that I read the thread while eating breakfast and drinking my morning coffee. I'd wager it's about 20 minutes per day depending on how much shitposting has gone on.

I read the thread while Elite: Dangerous runs the jump animation during my exploration trip.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Quick Planetfall review:

Like the love child of Civilisation and Alpha Centauri. Lacks a lot of the charm of the latter title; the factions are less 'believable', but it has a fuckton of depth. Like AC, you can mod your units for different capabilities.

The turn-based combat mode is hex/turn based and highly positional. It's also extremely pretty and the character designer is quick fun. Also, space dwarfs for you Dorf perverts.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

I was thinking of getting no man's sky now, actually, despite my initial upset. They really have done a lot of work.

But it's still $60. What the gently caress? This thing came out three years ago.

But now they're having a half-off sale. So maybe I WILL get it after all. But I'm waiting until the new update is live first.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
did no man's sky even have a proper roadmap?

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

It didn't even have a proper list of features

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
cloud emporium is number one in roadmap development
no company can compete with them in that area
let em release their unifinished bug ridden alphas and early access titles...

their no man's skies, dual universes, rebel galaxies...

...games that come out missing most of star citizen's roadmap's features!

edit: now that i think about it, i remember that there was a presentation with chris which was called “road to release“, followed a few years later by the statement “what is release anyway?“

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 8, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

They just keep teasing out new poo poo about the yacht hangar

https://giphy.com/gifs/starcitizen-lMgZ0aV5IafjzqOBAn

You can tell this is definitely real gameplay footage from the way the hangar opens into a bright blue sunlit sky that does not exist on any planet in the game, and also the player's helmet does the "Startup/reboot" animation sequence right at the beginning of the recording clip. Definitely not bullshit!

Notably absent on that control panel: the ability to spawn or in any way interact with the ships themselves. People are gonna be so loving mad when it comes out like this.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Is HaaS an actual thing?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is HaaS an actual thing?

It is in Surface Detail by Iain M Banks

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bumble He posted:

did no man's sky even have a proper roadmap?

Sure! Just listen to everthing SM said would be in the game on release. That's actually the roadmap for the next 10 years.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krycek posted:

Neither. The world ends before either of those events.

As Mother Shipton predicted

quote:

And wives shall fondle cats and dogs
And men live much the same as hogs.

She just got a bit mixed up between hogs and bears. Otherwise its spot on.

EDIT:

Just found another relevant prediction relating to SC!

quote:

And physics find no remedy
For this is worse than leprosy.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Gosts posted:

I was thinking of getting no man's sky now, actually, despite my initial upset. They really have done a lot of work.

But it's still $60. What the gently caress? This thing came out three years ago.

But now they're having a half-off sale. So maybe I WILL get it after all. But I'm waiting until the new update is live first.

Well, you COULD get a deal on it an buy NMS for $30, OR you could pledge 4 times that amount to get yourself the new Anvil Ballista for the upcoming hit game, STAR CITIZEN! Spend wisely my friend.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Strangler 42 posted:

Well, you COULD get a deal on it an buy NMS for $30, OR you could pledge 4 times that amount to get yourself the new Anvil Ballista for the upcoming hit game, STAR CITIZEN! Spend wisely my friend.

What is the insurance on this ground vehicle that is based in a space game?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

The short answer is Chris Roberts saw Star Wars and he's ripping off the cantina scene.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I'm impressed by the work the no mans sky people have done over the years, that update looks fantastic. Might be worth a look now on steam? Crazy world.

When it released I played it for free because my employer has a sweet library with games/ect, and despite not paying for it I still felt like I got ripped off somehow. First game I ended up with a 100% reproducible PS4 bluescreen whenever I warped to another star system. The second attempt ended when I parked my ship in a spot where exiting would put the player under the terrain, trapped in the layer of water that exists below all planets, and happened to be toxic on this specific planet. Since exiting the ship saves the game and I did not yet have the terrain manipulator to shoot my way to freedom I just ended up calling it a day and brought it back to work for the next person to enjoy.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

HOW DARE YOU! It is completely normal and good for a $250M+ game to spend more than a year developing an NPC bartender you loving idiot!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

fargom posted:

I'm impressed by the work the no mans sky people have done over the years, that update looks fantastic. Might be worth a look now on steam? Crazy world.

When it released I played it for free because my employer has a sweet library with games/ect, and despite not paying for it I still felt like I got ripped off somehow. First game I ended up with a 100% reproducible PS4 bluescreen whenever I warped to another star system. The second attempt ended when I parked my ship in a spot where exiting would put the player under the terrain, trapped in the layer of water that exists below all planets, and happened to be toxic on this specific planet. Since exiting the ship saves the game and I did not yet have the terrain manipulator to shoot my way to freedom I just ended up calling it a day and brought it back to work for the next person to enjoy.

I've got it but I struggle to muster much enthusiasm for NMS. In fact, the reworks almost make it worse, what with all the refining crap etc that you have to do now.

I guess I'm not really into convoluted construction trees in my space games.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Im gonna be honest with you. I spend a lot of time playing star citizen pretty drunk. Prolly why i have $10k backed and love every second of it. Having an awesome bar tender on my 890 jump while my bar tender wife makes me drinks at home will be immersive as hell. Now granted, ive only seen male bar tenders in star citizen, but after a few whiskeys everyone should start blending together anyway.

Plus whatever tools, pipelines, techniques and technologies they develop with this can be translated to other things like the food stand workers, shop keeps and whatever else

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Holy crap, the 'laughs, cries, lives, loves' guy isn't trolling, going by his posting history. Damnnn.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Everquest had bartenders and functional elevators in 1999. How is it that gaming legend, Chris fidelity Robert's, 20 years later, can't do either one?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

quote:

The bartender is one of the most interactive NPC's in the verse. What they learn from working with one bartender, they can use across the entire game. He walks, talks, reacts, receives, gives, laughs, cries, lives, loves.He does everything every NPC is going to eventually do. He is an important cornerstone to NPC development. So they can work on him all they want.

:lol:

I can't believe that these idiots are still holding out hope for AI that is lightyears ahead of the rest of the industry from CIG, who can't even get background NPCs to walk simple scripted paths around a room after 7 years and 250 million dollars.

That subsumption switch will be flipped to on any day now, and all of that pointless mocapping will instantly carry over to thousands of other life-like NPCs!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Krycek posted:

Everquest had bartenders and functional elevators in 1999. How is it that gaming legend, Chris fidelity Robert's, 20 years later, can't do either one?

Star Incompetencitizen

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Krycek posted:

EQ didn't have Chris' ambition and scope creep, so it obviously doesn't count — those hacks stopped thinking up newer and bigger ways of doing it, and just did it and therefore theirs are awful in their working state, whereas Chris' will maybe at some point be slightly better! So there!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

colonelwest posted:

I can't believe that these idiots are still holding out hope for AI that is lightyears ahead of the rest of the industry from CIG, who can't even get background NPCs to walk simple scripted paths around a room after 7 years and 250 million dollars.

That subsumption switch will be flipped to on any day now, and all of that pointless mocapping will instantly carry over to thousands of other life-like NPCs!

Best part is that the mocap and every bit of code will be specific to that npc and that setting, lol at reusing it to build 100's of NPC's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

colonelwest posted:

The bartender's going to come out and play two entirely canned cutscenes: "What do you want to drink?" and "So I heard you're looking for a job?" He will have zero facial expressions, exist in a little platform that's locked off from the player, and not look noticeably better than any randomly-rolled NPC in the game. Exactly like every other quest giving NPC.

Citizens will be too busy looking at gifs of the newest ship that has mechanics to host your in-game wedding reception to get mad about "past mistakes" or whatever.