Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I always thought it was both weirdly funny and sad that we (somewhat rightly) give Nintendo flak for not innovating and sticking to formulas, except that it's totally flipped with Paper Mario; they keep innovating, and we're just here wishing they didn't!

Well, they tried and it wasn't as good as the things that came before so. It's a shame but oh well, people liked the partners and turn-based combat from the previous ones and weren't expecting that to change. Kinda like how the handheld Mario & Luigi games never shifted from that into Dr. Mario combat or anything.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Apparently nintendo didn't like having two long-running mario RPG series and thought they were too similar and cutting into each others sales. So they chose one series to remain their stable RPG bet, and the other had to innovate itself away from the traditional RPG experience, hence why the paper mario series basically had its guts and skeleton ripped out. Also TTYD had hundreds of unique NPCs and very clever writing, while later games make you talk to mostly dry and boring toads the whole game.

Huh, I guess that makes sense. I'm kinda surprised they decided to experiment using the Console one instead of the handheld but that one probably takes more effort to make things with comparatively.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

im pooping! posted:

p. sure u get cait sith at around hour 85

You can get him quicker if you don't level Aerith to 99 first

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BiggerBoat posted:

Arkham Asylum handled this dynamic well.

Except for the triple batclaw, which you get at like the 95% mark but then need to go back and grab a couple of trophies with. The walls that you need it for also don't read as "you need three grappling hooks to defeat this obstacle!" but more "you somehow have to get explosive gel up on this wall, wtf?" so you spend most of the game baffled as to what you're missing.

Its use in combat is also really limited (and mainly just enables you to gently caress up stupid monster Joker) so it feels especially tacked-on.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Aug 7, 2019

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

kazil posted:

A recent Terraria patch added fishing to the game.

No video game ever has benefited from having fishing in it. Fishing is a boring as gently caress chore and has no place in video games.

final fantasy 15s isnt to bad its semi realistic and its a decent minigame.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

While it has the same problems that Sticker Star does in regards to combat, Color Splash has such phenomenal writing that it makes up for it imo. Yeah they still use generic npcs, but I was willing to overlook it since even they were able to consistently make me laugh.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know that one's a step up but I'm still pissed enough at Sticker Star that I refuse to play another game in the series unless they either go back to their traditional gameplay style or stop half-assing it and just do some other new genre again.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

snergle posted:

I was confused as to why this person was saying that Terraria's fishing patch was recent, then realized you were responding to a comment from 2014. Dang.

Anyway fishing can be fun if it's not random nonsense to waste your time in a bad way and, importantly, if information about how to catch fish and such is recorded somewhere in the game. Having to look up a guide for every fishing minigame is such a chore, just let me either record things I discover in the game (like effectiveness of lures on fish and when I've seen them) or give em a way to find out stuff about fish, like an info store, fishopedia, whatever. Or both.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Aug 8, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Personally I hate when you need to wait for the fish to bite. I prefer the variation where you catch something quickly, even if it's not what you are after, like in Okami. You just draw the line connecting to the fish, and then hope it's the right one.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The only time fishing has ever been tolerable in a video game is when it can be ignored entirely and I never have to interact with it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fishing is the worst, the more realistic it's treated.*

*For most people.

If you can just throw a stick of dynamite and get a pile of fish in your boat/fish sticks/sushi/pearls immediately that'd be awesome!

Maybe you just get a net and you can scoop up a dozen+ fish at a time. Or you can just dive in and swim fast enough to catch and throw them out of the water into a bucket on the shore.

I don't feel like people playing Legend of Zelda, Nier Automata, Persona, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, etc are looking to have to judge fishing rods against each other, get the wire, add it to the fishing rod, wind it, cast it, reel back in, etc etc.

Personally, if I have to do fishing I want it to be different and convenient. I want a fishing rod with 8 lines I can cast at once. Or I'd better be able to hunt something with a harpoon.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

Personally I hate when you need to wait for the fish to bite. I prefer the variation where you catch something quickly, even if it's not what you are after, like in Okami. You just draw the line connecting to the fish, and then hope it's the right one.

You'd probably like Warframe's fishing* where you go harpoon fishing, with a spear for organic fishes and a taser for the fishbots.

*You won't, I'm the only insane person that enjoys putting on some music and fishing for a couple of hours in the space ninja game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I love fishing minigames in every game and I want to see more of them. More realistic like FF15 or RDR2 is better but even simple ones where you push X to cast and then X again when the bobber sinks are good. By ancient Mayan law Kazil and I must now fight to the death in the sacred Pavilion of the Gods.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Warframe figured out how to make a fishing minigame fun by making it a spear-fishing minigame. No waiting for a fish to become interested in your bait, you just skewer it.

More fishing minigames should instead be spear-fishing minigames.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Horizon Zero Dawn also cuts to the chase, just flip on detective mode to check for fish anywhere in the vicinity, then bam! Nail that sucker from a thousand yards :69snypa:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Warframe figured out how to make a fishing minigame fun by making it a spear-fishing minigame. No waiting for a fish to become interested in your bait, you just skewer it.

re4reasons.txt

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I personally very much disliked Okami's fishing, because actually trying to reel in the fish got way more annoying the rarer/tougher the fish was.

Basically what you were supposed to do after hooking a fish is look at what direction it's moving and pull the opposite way. Except tougher fish would sometimes just randomly switch directions multiple times in quick succession or basically spin in place for a while, and unless you had really good reflexes there was a good chance that'd eat up a good deal of the progress you had just made (as pulling wrong lets the fish move away). I've had fish take waaay too long to catch because they just kept doing that again and again.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

snergle posted:

Thanks for replying to my comment from years ago. Also, you are wrong. The fishing in FFXV was awful too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yakuza 6, with its spear fishing, was such an improvement over its regular fishing.

The series' regular fishing sucks so bad. First, you have no idea what fish like what bait or what time they show up or where. So of course you need to use a guide.

Then, even if you use a favoured bait, there's no guarantee you'll get the right fish. Might get another fish, or worse, garbage.

Next you have to fight the fish. In most games this isn't so bad, but Yakuza fucks it up by a) taking way too long, b) randomly deciding that the fish will just leave, and c) deciding that for some reason a piece of garbage can fight you as much as a fish can, wasting so much of your time.

I agree that you should never have to wait for a fish. I like the actual reeling minigame (provided it's not random bullshit) in most games, but having to wait until the fish actually bites is just...boring. Like, why include a part where the player has to just wait and do absolutely nothing?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Weird, Yakuza 0 didn't have any of the issues you mentioned besides the garbage fighting back and the semi-random catch (though the size/type/fishing spot narrowed things down).

I never had a fish just decide to leave except for when I deliberately checked what happens if you don't press anything after hooking a fish since until then I had a perfect catch record. And as long as you keep tapping the button that's on screen it takes like a few seconds to reel them.

Also you could find almost all fish without needing bait, except for some really rare fish that required any type of bait, and the better the bait the higher the chance they'll show up (and they had uniquely huge silhouettes so easy to spot, though I did always worry one'd turn out to be garbage though luckily that didn't happen to me).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Weird, Yakuza 0 didn't have any of the issues you mentioned besides the garbage fighting back and the semi-random catch (though the size/type/fishing spot narrowed things down).

I never had a fish just decide to leave except for when I deliberately checked what happens if you don't press anything after hooking a fish since until then I had a perfect catch record. And as long as you keep tapping the button that's on screen it takes like a few seconds to reel them.

Also you could find almost all fish without needing bait, except for some really rare fish that required any type of bait, and the better the bait the higher the chance they'll show up (and they had uniquely huge silhouettes so easy to spot, though I did always worry one'd turn out to be garbage though luckily that didn't happen to me).

Are you referring to the river fishing or ocean fishing, since Yakuza 0 had both. I'm referring to the ocean fishing in this case. River fishing is random, but still better than ocean.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Both seemed to work the same to me.

e: okay I read a bit and it seems like before Yak 0 Ocean and River fishing were actually different, but 0 changed them to be the same, I guess it simply got rid of the bad old Ocean fishing and made both work like the old River fishing?

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Aug 8, 2019

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I'm a commercial fisherman in real life. I'm also a passionate believer in stripping fishing minigames out of videogames they are all bad and hair-tearingly boring except for links awakening and weirdly BoTW. The cook don't cook at home, you know? Also I spent years raiding in world of warcraft and If i never cast a digital fishing rod again that would be absolutely ideal with me.

I was playing BoTW and needed some fish to upgrade my zora armor. The game has a camera item, and every time you take a picture of wildlife, it notes it in a log book, giving you a brief description and also letting you know where on the overworld you can find more. After finding the species I needed, I took a picture, and found a river where there would be more.

First I tried just swimming around after them in the moderately-moving current, but that's slow, you can only get one at a time and the fish are much faster than you so you really have to outmaneuver and trap them. I then discovered you can chase them hard enough and they'll beach themselves, which was slightly faster. Faster still though was climbing up a small cliff by the waterbank, jumping off and gliding out to the river and landing on a group of fish, slightly stunning them and you can grab 2 or 3 at whack. This was still pretty slow though.

Next I took out my bombs on the riverbank and threw them into the water. Every fish within its explosion proximity dies, and floats down the river slowly on their side. I quickly cleaned up everything near the waters edge, and the rest of the fish retreated into the middle and far sides of the river.

I switched to my ice power, which allows you to build up to 3 large ice platforms in any water. These platforms are tall and can be climbed, and have no slippery physics to contend with, and you can climb one, cast one further ahead of you, and chain them to get around bodies of water. Using these I went mid river and used more bombs everywhere there was fish, and finally got everything I needed because the fish finally had nowhere to go or any decent method of evasion.

BoTW is it its best when you are interacting with its myriad of systems in this manner. Not very many games allow for such creative play. I think overall there was 5 or 6 phases to me figuring out the peak efficient way to collect fish, and it was all dictated by my own creativity, not any inherent restrictions within the engine itself.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Aug 8, 2019

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
My only issue with fishing in WoW is that my OCD triggers and I have to fish every node I see. I can't make myself ignore them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

I'm a commercial fisherman in real life...

I'm in awe of your fish genocide skills.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

In all fairness, I dont want games to start putting my day job in them either.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Only fishing I enjoyed was in Far Cry 4, where you have to catch a legendary fish by throwing explosives at it from a helicopter. One of Far Cry 5's many many many mistakes was including an actual fishing minigame. Noped the gently caress out of that as soon as I realised. Kinda wish I'd done the same with the whole game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Personally I'm fine with games being about what I do all day as long as they do the 'game within a game' thing right.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SiKboy posted:

In all fairness, I dont want games to start putting my day job in them either.

I dunno, stealthily shitposting while avoiding actual responsibilities around pretty fun to be :shrug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope they put in a game where you work a forklift and have to break down the produce load, but being able to drive out with the forklift and crash into poo poo. That would be pretty cool.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My job is just playing Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing all day

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Len posted:

My job is just playing Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing all day

Same, but with the 10-key module

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fire Emblem: Three Houses also has lovely fishing. It's pretty bog standard, but once you get the ability to buy 40 bait every month it becomes a very significant source of your all important professor exp. Professor exp controls how effectively you teach your students and how much stuff you can do each week, so by neglecting it you leave a huge amount of power on the table. So at the beginning of every month I spent half an hour or so spamming their super basic fishing minigame.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I play video games to do poo poo I can't do in real life, not to simulate mundane tasks.

QB a Super Bowl team. Fight in a war. Do karate. Kill zombies. Go on a mad crime spree. Chainsaw demons. Slay dragons. Be Batman. Dunk a basketball. Find a magic sword. Fight robots. Be a Jedi.

The gently caress do I want to go digital fishing for? I can fish. I have fished. Been fishing even.

Fish.

What, no lawn mowing simulator mini game? Where's that sweet side area where I can iron my shirts and vacuum my carpet?

I keep reading about RDR2 since it's the biggest selling game ever and I'm still curious but all I read is motherfuckers making coffee, brushing their horsie, dressing up their cowboy, making saddle bags and shaving while complaining about how all of the controls are broken for anything you'd want to actually DO if you were a cowboy (shoot, ride, rob, gamble, brawl, wear a disguise).

Apparently you can also fish in that game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses also has lovely fishing. It's pretty bog standard, but once you get the ability to buy 40 bait every month it becomes a very significant source of your all important professor exp. Professor exp controls how effectively you teach your students and how much stuff you can do each week, so by neglecting it you leave a huge amount of power on the table. So at the beginning of every month I spent half an hour or so spamming their super basic fishing minigame.

You're wasting a lot of time for a marginal benefit by doing that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I play video games to do poo poo I can't do in real life, not to simulate mundane tasks.

I agree, but for me things I can't do in real life include 'being a productive member of society' and 'doing things outside my house without my crippling anxieties getting in the way'

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I agree, but for me things I can't do in real life include 'being a productive member of society' and 'doing things outside my house without my crippling anxieties getting in the way'

Oh, same, don't get me wrong.

I just can't imagine having fun in a game visiting my shrink, commuting an hour to work and filling my psyche prescriptions on my lunch hour no matter how good the graphics are.

When I'm setting about wasting about time playing games, I need to save the world/galaxy/village and be productive god dammit. Not waste my time catching dinner.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

You're wasting a lot of time for a marginal benefit by doing that.

I mean early on its a relatively significant boost because you don't have the the activity points to do much else and it takes very little XP to advance, but after a while when the XP you need for a professor level is 10,000+ and a fish might be 50 xp if you're lucky than fishing feels like a waste of time unless you badly need the money from selling fish or it will put you over the threshold this week so you can have more points next week.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

I think it worked well in AC4/Rogue.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

BiggerBoat posted:

What, no lawn mowing simulator mini game? Where's that sweet side area where I can iron my shirts and vacuum my carpet?

Those are for real minigames in Mario Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Those are for real minigames in Mario Party.

Although they're balanced by the opportunity to steal from your friends and push them into lava pits, things that are frowned upon IRL.