Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Impermanent posted:

What's the best spiderweb to start with

Cobwebs behind your desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I hope the G1 remake still has that snot-green UI.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Item Getter posted:

Though it's funny remaster until now meant new engine, but I thought all of his games since Geneforge 1 ran on slightly incrementally improved versions of the Geneforge 1 engine.

He has claimed, and I believe him, that his latest games still have code that was first written for Exile 1. Jeff Vogel is not a man to stop using something that still works.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

He has claimed, and I believe him, that his latest games still have code that was first written for Exile 1. Jeff Vogel is not a man to stop using something that still works.

People have poked around in the data of recent games and confirmed that there are leftover text strings containing messages like "This is not a valid Exile 2 savefile", so yeah, there's still at least a bit of stuff in there from back then.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Thuryl posted:

People have poked around in the data of recent games and confirmed that there are leftover text strings containing messages like "This is not a valid Exile 2 savefile", so yeah, there's still at least a bit of stuff in there from back then.

Well, in all fairness, nothing from the new games would be.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
A3's got some kind of global timer, right? Anything I need to worry about permanently missing?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

A3's got some kind of global timer, right? Anything I need to worry about permanently missing?

In short, no.

The timer affects three things that I can think of:
  • Some NPCs move around to different towns on different days.
  • The less-important towns can get destroyed if you haven't resolved the local menace before a date (a different date for each town). All quest-critical NPCs (even for sidequests) will move to other towns though, so all you'll miss out on is the generic shops and miscellaneous random crappy town "loot", like barrels full of bread and piles of 7 copper coins.
  • There are two quests that are activated by the date reaching a certain point. One of them is also activated by making enough progress on the overworld, and the other is optional and late enough that you're unlikely to trigger it unless you're really leisurely or intentionally wasting time. Which is a shame because it's pretty cool.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I was worried about that timer myself when I played A3 a while ago but I never even got close to hitting it in a 53-hour playthrough.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

the other is optional and late enough that you're unlikely to trigger it unless you're really leisurely or intentionally wasting time.
Which is a shame because it's pretty cool.
Yeah. And there isn't even a simple way to waste time.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I felt like the thing that happens way way late timewise should have been made to happen late progression just so it's actually a thing rather than something almost no one will see unless they go out of their way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Game owns, time limit doesn't matter (dunno what the thing is but I'm not gonna see it for sure), but also, lmao your wallet can only hold 30,000 coins and there's no warning so I bulk sold my junk and went over and now I'm poor again cause training and houses and library keys are expensive you guys

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the wallet limit I assume originally was because in the old games Jeff just used a signed 16-bit integer for your cash (maximum value: 32767). But now it serves as a valuable reminder to go out and buy poo poo.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The big thing that happens if the time goes way way high is The Tower of Magi gets taken over by Demons because Linda's up to her old tricks. It's a neat fun dungeon but I think I only say in in A3 original by cheating.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gorelab posted:

The big thing that happens if the time goes way way high is The Tower of Magi gets taken over by Demons because Linda's up to her old tricks. It's a neat fun dungeon but I think I only say in in A3 original by cheating.
That owns, that's not in the real plot and I'm mad. I tried to pierce that barrier of hers and all that, with no success obviously, and I literally found Demonslayer just chilling in the final dungeon and was like "hey, shouldn't this have been somewhere plot-related", and all the pieces were there for something fun, that should have been a real thing

I also definitely missed out on something on that isle plagued with undead, seemed like there should have been a big lich fight or something, and the dragons seemed to have very little plot relevance, but maybe I should have gone back to them more?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I also definitely missed out on something on that isle plagued with undead, seemed like there should have been a big lich fight or something,

You should poke around the Kriszan province, there's a wandering wizard who can help you out with that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I also definitely missed out on something on that isle plagued with undead, seemed like there should have been a big lich fight or something, and the dragons seemed to have very little plot relevance, but maybe I should have gone back to them more?

For the dragons, their job is much like Erika: they're a potential cause of the plagues and a source for high-level spells/abilities. You can get an Alien Beast-slaying sword from them too, which is definitely nice to have. But that's it.

In general, if you find a location where the game comments that hey, there might be something here but danged if you can find it, either you're looking at a plot-gated thing (like with the Isle of Bigail) or a completionist thing, where if you do enough exploring and talking to NPCs you'll find the quest chain that leads to finding whatever the thing is. Or you could look up a FAQ/guide.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

For the dragons, their job is much like Erika: they're a potential cause of the plagues and a source for high-level spells/abilities. You can get an Alien Beast-slaying sword from them too, which is definitely nice to have. But that's it.

In general, if you find a location where the game comments that hey, there might be something here but danged if you can find it, either you're looking at a plot-gated thing (like with the Isle of Bigail) or a completionist thing, where if you do enough exploring and talking to NPCs you'll find the quest chain that leads to finding whatever the thing is. Or you could look up a FAQ/guide.

I think the dragons and Erika both have areas sealed off on their maps that you can never get to, so that if you scry them you'll wonder if that might be the area where you'll get to once you get evidence they're behind the plagues.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That owns, that's not in the real plot and I'm mad. I tried to pierce that barrier of hers and all that, with no success obviously, and I literally found Demonslayer just chilling in the final dungeon and was like "hey, shouldn't this have been somewhere plot-related", and all the pieces were there for something fun, that should have been a real thing
Demonslayer wasnt actually in the original version of Exile 3 - you could add it via cheat codes, but it was never placed anywhere. So when it was added to the remakes, it wasn’t really fitted into the plot because it was never originally intended to exist. Canonically, Demonslayer would likely be either still in the hands of the Heroes from Avernum 2 or securely locked back up in a treasury in the Great Cave when said heroes returned it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I always hoped we'd find the skeletons of the heroes of Avernum 1 somewhere.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I always hoped we'd find the skeletons of the heroes of Avernum 1 somewhere.

The events aren't far enough apart for them to die of old age and there is absolutely no way no how they are getting dead from anything else. :colbert:

friggin' kill the emperor and you're talking about wanting to see 'em all dead... for shame...

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Been playing Geneforge 2 for the 1st time ever and just have one question: What else do I need to do in-game to trigger the ending?
Have been un-aligned the entire game as a summoner Shaper, murderhobo'd everything in Rising not locked behind faction doors, killed all the Taken bosses in Benerii-Uss, and destroyed the Geneforge via sabotage/DrakonBoss died ironically.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Been playing Geneforge 2 for the 1st time ever and just have one question: What else do I need to do in-game to trigger the ending?
Have been un-aligned the entire game as a summoner Shaper, murderhobo'd everything in Rising not locked behind faction doors, killed all the Taken bosses in Benerii-Uss, and destroyed the Geneforge via sabotage/DrakonBoss died ironically.

Just go back to Entry Valley, the starting area, and walk back out the way you came. (You can actually do this at any time after finding Zakary and Barzahl, since that was technically your mission in the first place, but it won't go well for you if you haven't triggered the conditions for a proper ending.)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Thuryl posted:

Just go back to Entry Valley, the starting area, and walk back out the way you came. (You can actually do this at any time after finding Zakary and Barzahl, since that was technically your mission in the first place, but it won't go well for you if you haven't triggered the conditions for a proper ending.)
Interestingly, you technically don’t even need to meet Zakary - the game checks that you’ve met Barzahl but since you’d normally meet Zakary well before that, it’s not actually required to get an ending. There’s even a little “the Council asked and was disappointed that you never met Zak” screen programmed into the ending.

Unless you’re specifically looking for it (or using an editor, which is what I did), it’s virtually impossible to encounter since the game railroads you into meeting Zakary, but the option is there.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thanks for the help, triggered the Geneforge 2 ending sequence.
Had already tried leaving from starting point in Entry Valley but nothing happened so I was WTF? before posting in here. Turns out my Summoner-Shaper was in last party slot so the leave/stay prompt never triggered for me until the party order was changed up.

Main Character (lvl 35 Shaper-Summoner with 14 unassigned skill points) managed to survive the Shaper Councils scrutiny and eventually became a Shaper Summoner-Agent/James Bond for the Shaper Council.

Had 4 recruitable summons in my party throughout the game... the suicidal vlish, the coward thahd, the sex-slave/gimp servile from pit of misfits zone, and Flight Risk, the lvl 20 33 roamer.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 5, 2019

cogito ergo incommo
Apr 2, 2010
This just came up in my recs and I'm watching it now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stxVBJem3Rs

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It is a very good talk for anyone at all interested in either the history of Spiderweb Software, or doing indie game development.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

They wouldn't let me offhand that sword so it just gathered dust while I Flaming Bladed everything :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New pic of Queens Wish.

quote:

The training panel. You have access to almost 50 abilities, and you can improve them and swap them in and out when at your home base. You can alter your build to handle different regions and challenges.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/1111772482371936256

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I'm sad he doesn't enjoy his job

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

eh, you can love the larger picture of your job while being irritated and stressed by the minutiae in the moment

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CYBEReris posted:

eh, you can love the larger picture of your job while being irritated and stressed by the minutiae in the moment

It may be also that he's just burned out. He's been doing this for decades with no prolonged breaks and minimal support in many instances, and I'm sure that he doesn't make enough money to just say bollocks to it and retire on a money pile.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Vogel has said before he does what he does more because he needs to and it works than 'enjoyment'. He has a strong drive to create and design, so if he was stuck in a normal job maybe he'd be the guy who GMs like 3 campaigns a week.

On the other hand, if you like his work, and want him to feel good about what he has made, tell him!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/1159550923103850496?s=20

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This looks pretty good actually, more different from his previous games than I would have expected.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah it looks a bit closer to something like Avernum (like, the non-fancy newer ones), where you use the number pad to zip around. I would definitely much rather play this than something like Avadon. Looking forward to it!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Chinook posted:

Yeah it looks a bit closer to something like Avernum (like, the non-fancy newer ones), where you use the number pad to zip around. I would definitely much rather play this than something like Avadon. Looking forward to it!

I like the oldschool games too but some things need to stay dead and buried.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
It's really weird but the graphics make me think it was created in some ancient Win 3.1 RPG maker program or something. It looks like ancient shareware. Worse than his newest games look.

Hurray for absurdly wide quickbar though.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
The top-down view just makes it look incredibly weird to me. The proportions for some things look completely wrong, and even if intentional it's just weird. In the first screenshot compare the character models to the pots, or a brick in the wall, for instance.

That said, I'm looking forward to it and excited to explore a new setting from Vogel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

And Tyler Too! posted:

I like the oldschool games too but some things need to stay dead and buried.

I would contend that both the Exile series and the first Avernum series still hold up quite solidly even today. Do you they look dated? Of course, but I maintain that they are much more accessible than a lot of things from that period.

I will add that the top-down perspective looks odd to me too. Not bad, mind, but even as someone who has played Exile 1 in recent months, it seems unusual if not anachronistic.