Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Ashcans posted:

Sluggy Freelance was never cool enough to be a dinosaur, it's more like a webcomic coelacanth, in that it's a weirdly put together curiosity from prehistory that is surprisingly still alive and plugging away in it's own little niche.

Sluggy Freelance serves one very important purpose as a litmus test: if you ever meet anyone who, for any reason, thinks Bun-Bun is really cool, you know to immediately sever all ties and delete all contact information.

I'm looking at you, Larry Correia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mycot posted:

Can someone explain the difference between Sluggy Freelance and Shlock Mercenary? Even the names are almost synonyms (Freelancer = Mercenary).

Schlock Mercenary is a webcomic trying to be one of those terrible sci-fi paperback novels there's like 50,000 of in every used book store, and Sluggy Freelance is how our frail mortal minds perceive the physical embodiment of the year 2000

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I read Sluggy Freelance because it was the first webcomic I had ever heard of. I can't think of any other reasons that I actually continued reading it, other than novelty of the concept. Although that was true of the first dozen or so webcomics I discovered, until it got to the point where there were enough in existence that I could actually choose quality ones over the CADs of the world.

I think I stopped when it started getting super serious and anime as poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sluggy Freelance serves one very important purpose as a litmus test: if you ever meet anyone who, for any reason, thinks Bun-Bun is really cool, you know to immediately sever all ties and delete all contact information.

I'm looking at you, Larry Correia.

Not an empty quote. Every now and then at the game store I'll see somebody with a Bun-Bun shirt and that person will invariably be obnoxiously loud and, most likely, somewhat un-hygienic.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile in the land of Questionable Content, I am starting to realize that Winslow and Hannelore's relationship is super-unhealthy.

Usually the AIs in this setting are either "basically human" or "weird pet" (and Pintsize in particular seems happy to stay a weird pet since it absolves him of any responsiblity). Winslow has wandered into the category of "basically human," which puts him in a position that, it turns out, is really, really weird, because society doesn't actually have a place for him and Hannelore seems to expect him to "earn his existence" either by getting a job or contributing something, and... I'm not actually sure if he has any skills?
I just want to live in QC's super-affordable-for-a-college-librarian-and-self-employed-mechanic Massachusetts.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
When did QC go to the space station? I'm pretty sure that's when I decided that reading new updates wasn't worth the small amount of time it took to do so.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I honestly think Schlock Mercenary was at its best when it was a much smaller-scale story of a relatively small group of mercenaries trying to do a job that's just a bit bigger than them, but the comic decided it wanted to deal with absolutely massive universe-spanning heavy sci-fi questions with up to four separate plotlines running concurrently and god-tier AIs with more power and resources than we could ever possibly imagine, which all tends to make the story hard to follow.

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile in the land of Questionable Content, I am starting to realize that Winslow and Hannelore's relationship is super-unhealthy.

I'm pretty sure Winslow said himself that he wanted to do something more with his robot-life a little bit before Hannelore took her soul-searching journey, and she just reminded him of his own ambitions. It's not good that he picked up all the mental illness that Hannelore lost though, however that works.

It's a lot like the little cute AI-companions are just the juvenile stage of AIs that they go through before they can become full people, but that's too complex of an idea for the comic and Jeff Jacks just wanted more 20-somethings to work with. VA-11 Hall-A is way better at displaying that sort of post-singularity society while still being casual about it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

man this comic really gets me

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

I honestly think Schlock Mercenary was at its best when it was a much smaller-scale story of a relatively small group of mercenaries trying to do a job that's just a bit bigger than them, but the comic decided it wanted to deal with absolutely massive universe-spanning heavy sci-fi questions with up to four separate plotlines running concurrently and god-tier AIs with more power and resources than we could ever possibly imagine, which all tends to make the story hard to follow.

It was never good, and after 20 loving years or whatever I can respect realizing that you've taken "what if I did a Garfield knockoff about Hammer's Slammers" in all possible directions you could take that idea, but that doesn't mean that a Garfield knockoff about transhumanist intergalactic politics is the solution

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

Interesting, I felt exactly the opposite way back when I was reading it--the massive universe-spanning sci-fi stuff was neat, I just eventually stopped having the patience to drag myself through endless dad jokes in order to get the scraps of worldbuilding.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thing is, there's very little original big ideas there. You could probably make a graph charting the author read David Drake (beginning), then John Ringo, Scalzi, a bit of Baxter, Hamilton and now Banks I guess if he's doing ai stories.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dude’s never gone full Ringo, I feel it’s mean to compare the two. In fact, I’m not really sure Howard Taylor has it in him to be that gross.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Anyone remember a one off comic of a little girl having a tea party with her toys and when she drinks the "tea" she disappears à la Smash Brothers death. The final panel shows the "tea" she was serving was a juice called Falcon Punch.

Can't find it for the life of me.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Agreeable Employer posted:

Anyone remember a one off comic of a little girl having a tea party with her toys and when she drinks the "tea" she disappears à la Smash Brothers death. The final panel shows the "tea" she was serving was a juice called Falcon Punch.

Can't find it for the life of me.

Sounds like Brawl in the Family?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mors Rattus posted:

Dude’s never gone full Ringo, I feel it’s mean to compare the two. In fact, I’m not really sure Howard Taylor has it in him to be that gross.

That reminds me, Ringo once wrote Bun-bun into a book (as nose art on a tank, IIRC)

I read that book cause I read Sluggy at the time, I remember it being pretty bog standard mil SF. It would be several years until I heard about Oh John Ringo No.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Is Shlock Mercenary actually printed in some newspaper somewhere or is there some other reason it strictly aheres to the newspaper comic size? He even has a large one on Sundays.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is Shlock Mercenary actually printed in some newspaper somewhere or is there some other reason it strictly aheres to the newspaper comic size? He even has a large one on Sundays.

Nope, just inertia from an old fart who grew up on newspaper strips and wanted to emulate them.

It's one of the comic's worse features, since it means climactic scenes will often have 6 days' worth of filler so that the action can happen on Sunday size splash pages.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Begemot posted:

Sounds like Brawl in the Family?

No. Art was different.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Could a likpa fan give me a run down as to what the boobettes are up to in 2019? Thanks

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Schlock Mercenary was one of the first webcomics I came across and still follow it daily.

If I discovered it today I think I wouldn't bother.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

nimby posted:

Schlock Mercenary was one of the first webcomics I came across and still follow it daily.

If I discovered it today I think I wouldn't bother.
We laugh at the badness of Sluggy and Schlock, but what else was there to read? Kevin and Kell? The never ending glurge of sprite comics even our younger selves thought was terrible? Dominic Deegan?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

a lot of early webcomics people really really really wanted to be newspaper comics

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 9, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tension

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SardonicTyrant posted:

We laugh at the badness of Sluggy and Schlock, but what else was there to read? Kevin and Kell? The never ending glurge of sprite comics even our younger selves thought was terrible? Dominic Deegan?

I remember enjoying RPG World.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

hell astro course posted:

Could a likpa fan give me a run down as to what the boobettes are up to in 2019? Thanks

They're now doing Cold War references.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I meant to comment, I love the colour palette work here. You can tell this is an Ana scene before even looking at the characters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

a lot of early webcomics people really really really wanted to be newspaper comics

T obe fair to them, a lot of them were basically stuck wit hthat level of quality to begin with, just due to technological limitations of the time.

This stops being an excuse as of the mid to late 2000s

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope merrylegs and eightfold return

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

i hope merrylegs and eightfold return
In a buddy cop movie!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tollymain posted:

man this comic really gets me

Ah I see Cat and Girl has drawn inspiration from C-SPAM

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Phy posted:

That reminds me, Ringo once wrote Bun-bun into a book (as nose art on a tank, IIRC)

I read that book cause I read Sluggy at the time, I remember it being pretty bog standard mil SF. It would be several years until I heard about Oh John Ringo No.
Yeah, Posleen war stuff. That later led to a story with Tom Kratman called Watch on the Rhine, where Germany is defended by rejuvenated WWII troops. Specifically, the Waffen-SS Who Were Totally Not Nazis and Just Very Patriotic. "Oh John Ringo No" has been there for a while.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Sluggy Freelance is one of those lumbering zombie comics from The Before Times that persists out of sheer inertia, and if it tried launching today it never would've gotten off the ground. But the comic itself is not the thing I want to bring up, but the reference links.

I think the reference links are a really good idea, because especially when you have a really long running comic, sometimes things can be forgotten, or someone who didn't go back and read over twenty years of comics may not get a reference. It's kind of like the old reminders/recaps of what happened in old comics, only instead of having a tiny textbox from Smilin' Stan, why not just link directly to the comic in question? It's something I'd like to see more online comics do. Everything is right there! Use that!

But any credit it gets for reference links is more than lost because the actual comic, which is the loving point of the site, is something you have to scroll down a screen to see.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MechaCrash posted:

But any credit it gets for reference links is more than lost because the actual comic, which is the loving point of the site, is something you have to scroll down a screen to see.

Also the archive links, instead of being to individual pages, are to the entire book collections, so when you click a reference link you have to wait for a hundred of so comics to load.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Does it not load the pages as you see them in archive mode in your browser? It does on mine.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's possible there's some JavaScript trickery to make it less dumb; but I generally keep NoScript blocking stuff.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I find the reference links funny because Pete probably wishes someone would care enough about his comic to maintain a wiki, but since no one does, he has to. He is his comic's only fan.

Regardless, his prime webpage sin is still not having back/forward buttons and forcing you to engage with his awful, awful archive.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I would have zero problem believing that Sluggy Freelance still enjoys a large and devoted following of subterranean morlock-creatures who diverged from baseline humanity back around the dot-com boom

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

in their sibiliant language "sluggy freelance" means "joy and good fortune"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Regardless, his prime webpage sin is still not having back/forward buttons and forcing you to engage with his awful, awful archive.

Like, the infinite scrolling thing is an interesting idea in theory for archive reading. Have the page load up comics 122, 123, and 124 while you're reading 121 so that you never have to wait for a page to load. But combining that with links to other places in the comic means that you're either juggling tabs or losing all that pre-loading whenever you check a link.