Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Gaaah, in Hubert's Paralogue He ends it by saying that the professor will be quite useful when Edelgar's war would be over and it would be time for House Vestra's war on TWSitD. Goddamit game.

mancalamania posted:

(1) Do Paralogues scale in recommended level if you put them off from when they first appear?

(2) On a related note, I accepted some battle sidequest in an early month and never got around to doing it, and now I'm way above the recommended level and the reward seems useless. Am I okay with just letting it sit there unplayed forever?

Paralogue don't scale.

Sidequest wise, the 'open merchants' quests must be done regardless. Other ones you can ignore if you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm glad they keep the thing about saying dastard to avoid swears lol

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm glad they keep the thing about saying dastard to avoid swears lol

That's been a Fire Emblem translation staple since the GBA games.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

These flowers must be rigged - I can’t get a speed carrot to drop after like 20 soft resets.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
To be fair, dastard is a real word, and not just a non-swear version of bastard.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Harrow posted:

Is it weird that I kind of miss the battle map sprites from the 3DS games? I enjoyed moving around the cute little sprite characters, I dunno.

The sprites own and I was honestly hoping there would be an option to use them instead of the models, at least at the most zoomed out camera angle

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

The sprites own and I was honestly hoping there would be an option to use them instead of the models, at least at the most zoomed out camera angle

how great would it be if the most zoomed out version was just a pixel version of the map

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are the +2 perk and unit-moving perks worth holding out to beginner classes for or just go straight to intermediate when possible? I can always go back and reclass and grind to finish off in auxiliary missions I guess but I assume anything later on will outclass +5 hp and +2 str eventually.

Chocolate Bunny posted:

To be fair, dastard is a real word, and not just a non-swear version of bastard.

But they're also really obviously using it to say 'bastard' and I love it every time, in every one of these games

Also I love the artwork for the seasonal cutscenes

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Just hit chapter 6 (Golden Deer). Question: What is the trigger to advance the plot that I need to avoid so I don't miss out on the entire month?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Just hit chapter 6 (Golden Deer). Question: What is the trigger to advance the plot that I need to avoid so I don't miss out on the entire month?

Entering the dude you suspect’s room.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Entering the dude you suspect’s room.
Thanks.

On a slightly different topic, I am glad that Ferdinand is a pain to poach from Black Eagles because he looks like a tool and can sit in corner like a loser for all I care.

\/ \/E: Hi, it's me. The dork with the sausage fingers that has had to reset multiple times because he accidentally selected incorrect dialogue/menu options. I will take all the help I can get.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 9, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

AradoBalanga posted:

there's a dialog box that warns you, just read it unlike the other unreading nerds

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
I managed to poach Ferdie but even after investing a lot in him he's kind of mediocre... guess when I do the BEagles routes finally I'll make him my dancer then he can be useful.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

RBA Starblade posted:

No idea what that is!

Lance of Ruin is Sylvain's relic weapon. I think you're well past that point, but just spoilers for anyone else: Miklan, Sylvain's brother, has it when you fight him, and once the battle is over, Rhea asks for it back. If you have Sylvain and say no, Rhea gets pissy but then Sylvain strolls up and says "yo this is my family's relic weapon, my dad said it was cool" so she caves. If you do give it back, there's a Sylvain paralogue later when you can take it.

The only time I've really used it is to Knightneel the Death Knight to bits.

rannum posted:

how great would it be if the most zoomed out version was just a pixel version of the map

I was actually a tiny bit unhappy when I couldn't zoom out to see them like that. They did the cute little sprites and everything!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RBA Starblade posted:

Are the +2 perk and unit-moving perks worth holding out to beginner classes for or just go straight to intermediate when possible? I can always go back and reclass and grind to finish off in auxiliary missions I guess but I assume anything later on will outclass +5 hp and +2 str eventually.

Intermediate classes have some badass skills that will be useful for the entire game and take a while to grind up so I’d switch to them ASAP.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This game is singlehandedly stopping me from sending my joycons in to get the drift fixed because man it's REALLY interfering in my gameplay, but I'm not willing to not play this game for a week and I'm also not spending 70 bucks for a new set.

The left joycon drifts up and so the number of times I've loaded the autosave instead of my manual save is up in the 30+ range now

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This game is singlehandedly stopping me from sending my joycons in to get the drift fixed because man it's REALLY interfering in my gameplay, but I'm not willing to not play this game for a week and I'm also not spending 70 bucks for a new set.

The left joycon drifts up and so the number of times I've loaded the autosave instead of my manual save is up in the 30+ range now

I've gotten into a lot of accidental tea parties because of that...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

But they're also really obviously using it to say 'bastard' and I love it every time, in every one of these games

Also I love the artwork for the seasonal cutscenes

HP+5 on Beginner/Noble isn't really worth it, even on the squisher characters, long term and I regret getting it on everyone when that was time better spent on other classes.

The movement skills however, have been very worth it. Reposition in particular is a fantastic skill to have. Draw Back & Swap are more situational than reposition, but I've found plenty of situations to use them and have not removed it from their combat art slots accordingly.Of the four I think Shove is the only one I'd be willing to miss out on, I've used it maybe once and even then it was because I had literally no other skill near by.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Man, watching Hanneman's supports, he's actually an extremely cool and good dude when he's not getting overly horny for science, and honestly he's pretty decent about reining that in most of the time. Screw all these countries and the church, I want to live in Hanneman's egalitarian crest-based utopia of philosopher kings.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

On my second play through and picked bleagles. I noticed Caspar sounded kinda familiar. Had a s-link between him and Petra. I noticed that his panicking and stammering tickled a nostalgia nerve connected to DeSu 2. Looked him up and sure enough it's the same guy who voiced Daichi. I'm going to make sure Caspar gets plenty of screen time just for having a rad voice actor.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you're willing to try opening them up, I think there are some relatively simple diy repairs you can do to try and fix the drift.
I'm guessing at that point you can't really send it back in if it doesn't work, though, but hey!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

d3lness posted:

On my second play through and picked bleagles. I noticed Caspar sounded kinda familiar. Had a s-link between him and Petra. I noticed that his panicking and stammering tickled a nostalgia nerve connected to DeSu 2. Looked him up and sure enough it's the same guy who voiced Daichi. I'm going to make sure Caspar gets plenty of screen time just for having a rad voice actor.

Ben Diskin also voices Lorenz, as well as Jakob, Saizo and Hayato in Fates

Great actor and cool guy

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

ROFL Octopus posted:

Ben Diskin also voices Lorenz, as well as Jakob, Saizo and Hayato in Fates

Great actor and cool guy

This makes me unreasonably happy.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

d3lness posted:

This makes me unreasonably happy.

He also voices Matthew in Heroes https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Matthew:_Faithful_Spy/Quotes

I'm glad Fire Emblem has really embraced voice acting

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Thoughts on Edelgard's ending & epilogues
-Seiros has a ton of HP even on normal, dang.
-the last two attacks were Byleth & Edelgard, mirroring the cutscene, which was nice
-Cyril survived the final battle because his pathfinding broke, I guess?? He had targeting arrows on my units but got stuck behind the boss. :iiam:
-I gave Thunderbrand to Felix, because he was good enough with it to get all 4 attacks in
-He used it to kill a nameless enemy in one hit, and then proceeded to whiff on the final boss eight times, how even
-I'm kinda sad that Sothis' crest stone shattered in the end. I was fighting her crazy daughter and the crazy daughter's religion, but I loved the little goddess. :(

Because I tried to get as many supports as possible, the end pairings were kinda random, but oddly fitting.
Dorothea/Ferdinand - I wanted either him or Sylvain to marry her, so that worked out.
Caspar/Lindhardt - a little out of left field, but honestly, it fits really well? I could see the relationship being platonic or sexual, TBH.
Bernadetta/Hubert - this one was incredibly out of left field, but it fits a little bit, I suppose. It seems like kind of a political marriage to me, both of them read as asexual for different reasons

and Edelgard/Byleth, because obviously. I was tempted to choose Sothis on the "which character should you marry" S-rank support prompt, but figured I'd go for her when I inevitably finish the game on the Church ending.

Everyone else ended up as single, but it seems like most of them were happy, so that's a win in my book.

e: oh yeah, the log of all the battles listing the MVP is kind of hilarious, because mine started off mostly varied... and then comes the time when I managed to stick Ferdinand on a Wyvern, and whoops, suddenly he's the MVP for like, 15 battles straight :black101:

Eimi posted:

Eagles is everything I wanted storywise with the best lord and it's the most gay house making it obviously the winner. She's also the only lord you can be gay with. :colbert:
wait, Edelgard's the only one you can be gay with? Wow. I was considering doing my second playthrough as a guy character in Golden Deer house, because Claude strikes me as incredibly bisexual.
also:

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 9, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Claude is incredibly bi and dances with Byleth at the ball. It is utterly baffling why he isn't S-rankable.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

McTimmy posted:

Claude is incredibly bi and dances with Byleth at the ball. It is utterly baffling why he isn't S-rankable.

You're not his type as a guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Skeleton King posted:

Just 3 chapters left in blue lion. Dimitri is my favorite FE protagonist now, the guy is a loving rollercoaster. Haven’t seen a protagonist get dragged through the mud so hard in a while.

I've been playing Blue Lions because I thought I'd like them the least, and I'm now convinced that I mistakenly chose the best house first. Dimitri is a great co-protagonist and has a lot of really interesting supports with the other Blue Lions members. I get the impression Blue Lions are the house most geared towards a female Byleth, since they really seem to play up Dimitri forming a romantic connection to you even outside of supports, and the house has most of the good looking guys (as I mentioned, it hits almost all the reverse harem archetypes - literally every guy except Dedue could come directly out of a shoujo manga).

The Japanese voices are really good by the way, if anyone is playing in English and has considered it. I also like having access to both what's "originally" being said and the translation. While I'm definitely not a "literal is best" person and think that liberal translations that aim for conveying the overall meaning are best, it's still neat seeing the differences (like the songs Annette/Lysithea sing, lol).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blaziken386 posted:

and Edelgard/Byleth, because obviously. I was tempted to choose Sothis on the "which character should you marry" S-rank support prompt, but figured I'd go for her when I inevitably finish the game on the Church ending.

That support actually makes the most sense on Edie's route strangely as, it's the only route where you become separate again. Since you can do her S rank, she isn't gone entirely when the crest stone is absorbed, she's just no longer directly a part of you. And Byleth is mortal again.

Also I don't think it's asexual with Bernie and Hubie, it's the ship I went for with her too. I more see it as, she's someone he's cared for for a while, since just compare his supports with her to everyone else, he acts greatly different. And she needs someone who can make her feel safe and support her and I mean there's no one better for that than Hubie imo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like how every Hubert convo is accompanied by sinister music.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm on the Black Eagles route in the late game, in a battle where I got ambushed by one of Edelgard's generals in a lava valley. I have a question about recruitment on this map.

I was surprised to find out that Ashe popped up out of nowhere to gently caress with me as a member of the enemy squad. I never really said much to him back during the school period, but I'd kinda prefer not to kill him if I could avoid it. Am I just out of luck unless I'd ground up a higher support level?

I know in past games, I'd have been able to talk to him with somebody to get him to at least back off, but so far, I don't seem to have a Talk option with any troops.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Opinion changed on Dorothea, she will actually only do support links with noble heirs and won't even give non-royals the time of day. The idea that Dorothea would want to join the Golden Eagles was floating around because she was a commoner as well but uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh not so sure about that one anymore

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Ytlaya posted:

I've been playing Blue Lions because I thought I'd like them the least, and I'm now convinced that I mistakenly chose the best house first. Dimitri is a great co-protagonist and has a lot of really interesting supports with the other Blue Lions members. I get the impression Blue Lions are the house most geared towards a female Byleth, since they really seem to play up Dimitri forming a romantic connection to you even outside of supports, and the house has most of the good looking guys (as I mentioned, it hits almost all the reverse harem archetypes - literally every guy except Dedue could come directly out of a shoujo manga).

The Japanese voices are really good by the way, if anyone is playing in English and has considered it. I also like having access to both what's "originally" being said and the translation. While I'm definitely not a "literal is best" person and think that liberal translations that aim for conveying the overall meaning are best, it's still neat seeing the differences (like the songs Annette/Lysithea sing, lol).

I decided to do English voices first, then JP on a 2nd run, but now that I'm thinking about doing Golden Deer, I'm remembering that I really liked what I heard of Claude's English VO.

I also finished the Edelgard route last night and did Byleth x Edie and Hubert x Bernadetta. Sounds like they're popular picks! I paired off all the other students too (except Lindhardt, who went stag because he was the odd man out. But his solo ending sounds pretty awesome anyway.) Shamir x Leonie and Annette x Mercedes were kinda busts, tbh, but Caspar x Petra was cute.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Opinion changed on Dorothea, she will actually only do support links with noble heirs and won't even give non-royals the time of day. The idea that Dorothea would want to join the Golden Eagles was floating around because she was a commoner as well but uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh not so sure about that one anymore

I mean like her whole thing is that she wants long term stability and to never go back to the streets again. She's absolutely set on marrying up before her singing voice and beauty fade so it makes sense her supports are all with her house and the wealthier members of the other houses.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Dedue is a silent gentleman who looks scary but is actually very sweet. He could totally be an Otome game love interest.

Though on one of your other parts I feel that playing up a romantic relationship with Dimitri was one of the routes weaker points. I don’t think Byleth is quite charismatic or engaging enough for it to fully land for me. It’s not a problem unique to the Blions though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Well, her goal in life is to marry up, since as a former street rat she doesn't see any other to get stability in her life after she inevitably becomes too old to be a famous diva.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Ytlaya posted:

Does Japanese Annette still have fusion jazz-esque beat signatures for her singing?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
So, initially, I was going to not bother with recruiting the Black Eagle housemates, as I'd rather not neglect supports with the Golden Deer to have the same characters again

But now, I'm really torn. I don't particularly want to use them again, but I can't bear the thought of murdering my former students. They are my precious children, after all, even if Edelgard and Hubert are unobtainable.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

So, initially, I was going to not bother with recruiting the Black Eagle housemates, as I'd rather not neglect supports with the Golden Deer to have the same characters again

But now, I'm really torn. I don't particularly want to use them again, but I can't bear the thought of murdering my former students. They are my precious children, after all, even if Edelgard and Hubert are unobtainable.

Think of all those GD/BE supports you can now see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hilda was like one second from saying Cyril was one of the good ones in their C support, poo poo

leave my sweet boy Ignatz alone please, Cyril. you've earned a permanent spot on the bench for that

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 9, 2019