Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Expect My Mom posted:

My friend saw the movie, loved it and also told me spoilers

So Here We Go Dragon Quest: Your Story Giant Spoilers. The Twist Is Weird And Cool And This Might Ruin It For You

The film is called Your Story because it's revealed in the final act that the scenes we see of Dragon Quest V are a full body VR experience which allow you to experience Dragon Quest in first person as if you were there. The hero's name isn't Five, or Madason, or Abel or any other canon name given, but Ryuka, because Ryuka is the name of the person playing this experience of Dragon Quest, and he's always used his own name for Dragon Quest protagonists. A lot of the childhood portions like ghost hunting or fairy world are abridged because Ryuka chose to skip those at the start and get into the meat of the story. Apparently he tries to use some knowledge of having played Dragon Quest 5 before to stop Nimzo from appearing, but some virus gets into the program and makes that impossible so the final battle gets a little weird or different than what we know

Basically, they turned from what could have been just an adaptation of Dragon Quest 5 into a story about all our memories of playing Dragon Quest, a movie about Dragon Quest fans in a way, and I think that rules, I sincerely love this take. My friend says that it's still a charming, cool movie, but really made for people who know Dragon Quest 5, because it does not do much to explain or flesh out things. Which makes sense because everyone in Japanese theaters knows how Dragon Quest 5 goes

haha so no not a movie for the west like people thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Here's a very long stream showing off a DQ virtual card game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzdoo4_XfjA=

Woa, cool. I would absolutely play a DQ Hearthstone, as long as there's some kind of non-PvP mode that I can grind for booster packs when I'm tired of getting my face stomped by p2w whales and their metadecks. Hm, maybe I'd just watch it on Twitch instead (like I do HS) :shobon:

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The rest of today is dedicated to things like "making banana bread", so I'll be moving on to IV (another of my favorites) tomorrow after I get the kid off to school.

Ha, I thought earlier when you said something about playing "after school" that you were in middle/high school. It all makes sense now.

Enjoy your time in IV. If you choose the DS or Mobile versions, hope you like phonetic accents.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

-Fish- posted:

Just beat DQ8 on 3ds, moving on to 4 for DS. Any especially noteworthy tips for 4 that I should keep in mind?

In chapter 5, as soon as you get the boat, you can go to a little cape just south of Endor with a shrine that requires the Ultimate Key to get in. Even without the key, you can fight the enemies there, and it's a place where Liquid Metal Slimes show up with a decent amount of frequency. If you want a few quick-and-easy levels, that's the place to go.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
In DQB2, I've noticed cooking recipes that use 3 items, what station do I need to use 3 at a time?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

In DQB2, I've noticed cooking recipes that use 3 items, what station do I need to use 3 at a time?

The brick barbeque, which you get from the third island.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
Minor Island 3 building question: What dictates the appearance of castle wall blocks and castle corners? I was trying to build one side of the castle for fun and it seems like those blocks take on different appearances depending on some criteria I'm unaware of. Like, I put down a castle corner and it had parapets on it, then I stacked one on top of it and it didn't. Anyone know?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Just unlocked what I assume to be the only way the game lets you make your own blueprints and I'm a little bummed. I was hoping for a way to just make the structure in a blue print in it's own interface where I don't have to worry about gravity and such and make the npcs build it for me, saving a bunch of time. Doesn't look like that's the case. I still have to take the time building it myself first and then just copy it down which kind of defeats the purpose since I spend that time building it anyway. I guess you could try copying down other peoples structures but you can't just make a blue print from scratch easily.

Is what I was hoping for ever actually a thing or is this as good as it gets?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The DQ movie twist sounds similar to the twist in The Lego Movie.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Expect My Mom posted:

My friend saw the movie, loved it and also told me spoilers

So Here We Go Dragon Quest: Your Story Giant Spoilers. The Twist Is Weird And Cool And This Might Ruin It For You

The film is called Your Story because it's revealed in the final act that the scenes we see of Dragon Quest V are a full body VR experience which allow you to experience Dragon Quest in first person as if you were there. The hero's name isn't Five, or Madason, or Abel or any other canon name given, but Ryuka, because Ryuka is the name of the person playing this experience of Dragon Quest, and he's always used his own name for Dragon Quest protagonists. A lot of the childhood portions like ghost hunting or fairy world are abridged because Ryuka chose to skip those at the start and get into the meat of the story. Apparently he tries to use some knowledge of having played Dragon Quest 5 before to stop Nimzo from appearing, but some virus gets into the program and makes that impossible so the final battle gets a little weird or different than what we know

Basically, they turned from what could have been just an adaptation of Dragon Quest 5 into a story about all our memories of playing Dragon Quest, a movie about Dragon Quest fans in a way, and I think that rules, I sincerely love this take. My friend says that it's still a charming, cool movie, but really made for people who know Dragon Quest 5, because it does not do much to explain or flesh out things. Which makes sense because everyone in Japanese theaters knows how Dragon Quest 5 goes

Yeah (Movie Spoilers)

Most of the stuff I was reading was just how fast it seemed to skip over things from the childhood portion. Skipping straight to Bjorn instead of collecting rings and writing out the protags Daughter so she doesn't exist. Then the whole VR twist happens and it goes full star ocean apparently with trying to fight a computer virus. Wireframes getting exposed or something- can't find the link anymore.
Other complaint I saw that I can kind of understand is just not liking the art style for ditching Toriyama.

Also Nera gets pushed off a cliff and never gets mentioned again or something. Whoops

Led to the disgruntled posts I saw v :shobon: v

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Started IV this morning. I'd been waffling on what version to play. I've played the poo poo out of the DS version, so I was going to return to the NES one. And then it hit me. My phone might be a piece of garbage, but my computer isn't. So I got a Droid emulator, and just got the mobile version through the Play Store using that.

Setting it up with my controller was a chore, but we'll see what the party chat adds to what was already one of my favorite games in the series. The 8BitDo SN30 Pro has been real good for playing the early games the way I'm used to them, also.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
The placeholder image for this future dqb2 livestream....certainly is something! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFBhv4Vx5NQ

Google Translate says the title is "Dragon Quest Builders 2 Final Free Update Presentation", so uh, yeah.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
dqb2 skullkatraz was a really bad and way too long sequence in a game that otherwise seems to nail its core feedback loop really well. At least the forced stealth section was super easy

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Princeps32 posted:

dqb2 skullkatraz was a really bad and way too long sequence in a game that otherwise seems to nail its core feedback loop really well. At least the forced stealth section was super easy

If I had more sand blocks, I might very well have used them to spell out "gently caress you" as I made my land bridge over their stupid heads.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

The placeholder image for this future dqb2 livestream....certainly is something! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFBhv4Vx5NQ

Google Translate says the title is "Dragon Quest Builders 2 Final Free Update Presentation", so uh, yeah.

YES!!!!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Princeps32 posted:

I love skullkatraz and want to go back and save everyone. I think there's value in putting a bump in the game's loop, and to specifically make a place where you can't build and you're ordered to be a certain place at a certain time to deliberately mess with you is cool.

I will say that I'm also a weirdo who loves the Alltrades Abbey fakeout in DQ7 so take that how you will.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

an actual dog posted:

I love skullkatraz and want to go back and save everyone. I think there's value in putting a bump in the game's loop, and to specifically make a place where you can't build and you're ordered to be a certain place at a certain time to deliberately mess with you is cool.

I will say that I'm also a weirdo who loves the Alltrades Abbey fakeout in DQ7 so take that how you will.

I didn't HATE it, but I think it took about twice as long as it should have

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

If you could have shortcut it as soon as you found the secret tunnel it'd probably be fine, but the fact that you have absolutely no options other than following the script makes it real bad. The rest of the game you can just gently caress off and explore whenever you want, even if some of the quest triggers are a little specific sometimes.

Really, I'd say the entire back half of the game needed some more time in the oven, except the ending sequence which is basically perfect.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm upset that I couldn't Take the Buggy Buggy with me to other islands to fly around and shoot poo poo

Also would be nice if they released a Monsters game for the switch.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 6, 2019

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Dizz posted:

I'm upset that I couldn't Take the Buggy Buggy with me to other islands to fly around and shoot poo poo

lol I believe you still have the blueprint for the garage

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Princeps32 posted:

Most of my hate for it and a few other spots are because of the terrible markers between "WE ARE MOVING THE STORY FORWARD AND THERE IS NO GOING BACK" comes at really weird times. The overall ebb and flow of the msq is just off and not well considered. It needed another polish pass or two. However, everything about the actual builder part of the game is hands down better and i'm glad i'm finally in the post-game, where it shines.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

an actual dog posted:

i actually liked the alltrades abbey sequence as well, it was a big chunk of time to get out and losing magic blew, but it felt like an epic escape and it still made use of battles in interesting ways, and the reward at the end was awesome. it's not that a forced break is bad necessarily, but skullkatraz took way too long for what it was doing, and it amounted to a tiny bit of plot, monster snacks, and a garbage stealth sequence, then the game mostly just continues like you never left. i think just finding the hidden passage and exploring your way out after maybe a day of labor/plot upstairs would have been better.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The skulkatraz stealth sequence glitched out on me so the slime just... refused to lead me anywhere. He just bounced in place until I stumbled all the way to the hammerhood. Which took me a while because I am pretty bad at navigation.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I gave the stealth section in Skulkatraz the exact amount of respect it deserved and that made it way more hilarious for me: https://clips.twitch.tv/RamshackleFunFinchHassaanChop

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Any idea when that Switch Slime controller thing is available to order? I wanna get my hands on one of those, I hear they're actually really good and I've been looking for a Switch controller that doesn't have stupid issues with it like the d-pad not working or the poo poo bumpers

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm up to partway through Alena's chapter in IV, and I'm finding the party chat does add quite a bit of characterization, even this early.

It's a little awkward to play, since I was able to set up my gamepad for basic walking around and searching every pot/well/cabinet/etc., talking to NPCs, and accessing the menu. But I've had to leave the mouse to navigate the menu, and battles. But it's manageable.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It turned out the game isn't scripted to stop you from busting back into skeleton jail and breaking anything you want, but all the normal scripting is still in place so they'll shove you back in your cell if you go to the corresponding places.

https://twitter.com/sarahwattca/status/1151931146105585665

https://twitter.com/sarahwattca/status/1151931470925062144

https://twitter.com/sarahwattca/status/1151931635794714624

Also I had set the flowing dress as my appearance at a dressing table so I didn't get the full experience of being in rags during the prison sequence

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They let you break skelkatraz, but they made absolutely sure you couldn't break Malroth out of jail in moonbroke.

It's not fair.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I should rebuild Moonbrooke into a prison city with straw beds and banish all the villagers I don't like over there.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

The hero's name isn't Five, or Madason, or Abel or any other canon name given, but Ryuka, because Ryuka is the name of the person playing this experience of Dragon Quest, and he's always used his own name for Dragon Quest protagonists.

Speaking of which, the origin of Ryuka is the DQ5 novel and they're actually being sued by the author for not putting him in the credits

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
In DQB2, are the locations connected at all to the original game, like how DQB1 roughly matched the first game's map? I know Moonbrooke is in the game but I haven't got there yet so I don't even know if the landscape matches any.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

In DQB2, are the locations connected at all to the original game, like how DQB1 roughly matched the first game's map? I know Moonbrooke is in the game but I haven't got there yet so I don't even know if the landscape matches any.

I've only watched the game being played but from what I've seen, only your spoiled section seems to match to DQ2, although they did an incredibly good job at matching it to the surrounding overworld.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Square-Enix have announced that worldwide retail shipments and digital sales for Dragon Quest Builders 2 have exceeded 1.1 million on both Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Square-Enix also announced that the final free update for the game will add three save slots, an epilogue, eight new hairstyles, items to change the weather, save up to three islands, and more. It will be available 20 August in Japan.

:toot:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hairstyles :swoon:

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

I bought a copy for myself and my wife to do multiplayer, and a third copy for my nephews. I did my part. :colbert:

Assuming they mean we can save three Buildtopia-type islands, that'll be great. I've got a small colony of excess cows and cats on my first and hated the idea of having to wipe them out to try new parameters.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

From what I could see on the stream & copying sections of the chat as it whizzed past into google translate it looks like 3 buildertopia saves are coming so that's fun!

Ooh here's a site with more of the details: https://gematsu.com/2019/08/dragon-quest-builders-2-final-update-launches-august-20-in-japan-shipments-top-1-1-million the chat was going crazy about something going from 50 to 100 (rooms maybe?) but not mentioned on that page. Just a note the image is a sort of spoiler on that page for anyone not yet finished the storyline though.

Can't wait to take Malroth to the buddies on the ark & tell them "SEE! he IS my bestie!"

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Wasn't able to finish IV before I'm leaving for a little over a week (gonna go see KISS in concert and hang out at my mom's). But I'm almost to the end of the final original chapter, with plans to finish and do the post-game when I get back, so I'll just go ahead and drop my feelings now.

I've been playing the mobile version, by way of an emulator because my phone is pretty crap. So the controls have been a little awkward, but that's not the fault of the game. While V is my all time favorite, I think IV comes in a very close second, particularly the remake, especially with the addition of Party Chat. The beginning chapters get you more invested in the party members, and what they have to say down the road keeps them interesting, and gives them more characterization.

Gameplay, it's the same as ever, and I wouldn't be doing this marathon if I didn't love the gameplay.

Once I finish up after I get back, I'm moving on to V. Still haven't decided which version. PS2 because I haven't played that one, or mobile because Debora is way more interesting than the other two.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Wasn't able to finish IV before I'm leaving for a little over a week (gonna go see KISS in concert and hang out at my mom's). But I'm almost to the end of the final original chapter, with plans to finish and do the post-game when I get back, so I'll just go ahead and drop my feelings now.

I've been playing the mobile version, by way of an emulator because my phone is pretty crap. So the controls have been a little awkward, but that's not the fault of the game. While V is my all time favorite, I think IV comes in a very close second, particularly the remake, especially with the addition of Party Chat. The beginning chapters get you more invested in the party members, and what they have to say down the road keeps them interesting, and gives them more characterization.

Gameplay, it's the same as ever, and I wouldn't be doing this marathon if I didn't love the gameplay.

Once I finish up after I get back, I'm moving on to V. Still haven't decided which version. PS2 because I haven't played that one, or mobile because Debora is way more interesting than the other two.

My vote is on the PS2 version. I think it has an orchestral soundtrack and plus I saw some screenshots of someone playing it with some graphical enhancements and it looked pretty awesome.

IV is probably my favorite and I'm definitely doing a mobile play through next time. Would be cool if/when Square Enix ports the series over to the Switch that they include a definitive version of IV that has party chat and real controls.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, if you're going the remake route, I can't think of anything to recommend the DS version over mobile at this point. The party chat really just adds that much more. There's also some changes to the immigrant town, so you can finish it much faster.

For controls, though, yeah. I was able to set up my gamepad (8Bitdo SNES style controller has been awesome for this marathon) for walking around, talking to NPCs, looting the joint, etc. But battles and menus have had to be mouse controls, and it's been super awkward. I'm not a huge fan of the touch controls for walking, in general, either.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Started IV this morning. I'd been waffling on what version to play. I've played the poo poo out of the DS version, so I was going to return to the NES one. And then it hit me. My phone might be a piece of garbage, but my computer isn't. So I got a Droid emulator, and just got the mobile version through the Play Store using that.

Setting it up with my controller was a chore, but we'll see what the party chat adds to what was already one of my favorite games in the series. The 8BitDo SN30 Pro has been real good for playing the early games the way I'm used to them, also.

That's a brilliant idea! I remember researching controller support last year and I thought it wasn't possible, at least on a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is there a particular reason why the jerks on island 2 won't build a blueprint for me? I threw everything into a crate and all.

Also I wish I had paid attention to that tooltip before doing all of the first layer of the tree by hand on island 1..

e: is it only at certain base levels or for the big projects or something? That's kind of a pain

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 9, 2019