Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm bemused that he didn't face any punishment from the FFL for intentional fratricide, but the IDF gave him a year in prison for deserting to get revenge on the concentration camp guard who killed his family. Like, what the gently caress Israel? You should have thrown the man a parade in Tel Aviv.

Well, I doubt he went back to his higher and immediately reported on his premeditated murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

And even if he did, his officers probably would have shrugged and gone on an existentialist rant about the meaninglessness of existence while smoking a cigarette and staring off into the distance.

It's the FFL after all.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm sure he didn't tell the Legion what he had done.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The stories from Fall's writing on Vietnam could make for some excellent posts in here. I'll make some scans from my copies of his books if people are interested in more. Off the top of my head the instance of the German Legionnaires mounting an A/C unit in an armored car and then fighting to protect it is a nice story of idiots.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Of course. I'm talking more about after the information came out at his trial in Israel.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm bemused that he didn't face any punishment from the FFL for intentional fratricide, but the IDF gave him a year in prison for deserting to get revenge on the concentration camp guard who killed his family. Like, what the gently caress Israel? You should have thrown the man a parade in Tel Aviv.

They probably wanted to give him a longer sentence for desertion but the judge was just terrified of what Itzkovitz would do to him when he got out of prison. Dude has a long memory after all.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

He emptied his MAT-49 magazine into the dude after confirming his identity in the middle of a firefight.

e: I came across the story in Street Without Joy by Bernard Fall

:krad:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

Of course. I'm talking more about after the information came out at his trial in Israel.

That was post-Algeria FFL by then. An entirely different FFL.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

He'll In A Small Place is amazing, horrific, and sad. The story of the Legion counter attacking a numerically superior force, under direct and indirect fire, with sandbags hung over their chests so they could move in faster after the threw grenade after grenade, running through the poo poo.

Or the story of the Vietminh commander. After capturing a group of French troopers, he was marching them out when he ordered the prisoners to walk over a man crying out for help, his internals spread about. A French officer offered to help the man.
(Pretty sure this is fairly close to a direct quote)
"Walk on him. He did his part for the struggle."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm almost sorry about the dogshit quality of this

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That car was probably as hot as an oven, and I thought nazis were partial to those? :confused:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

That car was probably as hot as an oven, and I thought nazis were partial to those? :confused:

Not to sit in the oven themselves, mind you...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Flikken posted:

You must have seen "A very secret service" on Netflix

There's a film (Farewell) about the time French intelligence managed to snag a KGB operative which laid bare the USSR's dependence on industrial espionage from the West, which might also have lead to the belief that they could not win the Star Wars arms race.

A Bad Poster posted:

He didn't tell the FFL about it and they had thought Stănescu had died in combat. In Israel, he was given the minimal sentence for desertion due to his story.

It's interesting that one of the stories linked in Israeli Wikipedia, from an opposition paper in 1959, says that he was given three months by the IDF tribunal, not a year. But they might have conflated all the time he served for other crimes in civilian prison.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Flikken posted:

You must have seen "A very secret service" on Netflix

Such a great show.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Failing to rotate the image is definitely idiot material.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Maybe he had three months left with time served? I'm really not sure. Here's the article if you want, it's in Hebrew.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Dick Burglar posted:

Failing to rotate the image is definitely idiot material.

turn your head

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

redreader posted:

I read "armor" because of this thread or the previous one. I was on my kindle so I kept track of the good and bad bits. Armor bits starring felix: from 0%-22% of the book. Then Jack Crow from 22%-70% of the way through. Then Felix for about 4%, then Jack Crow again until the last 2 pages. It's like 2 books, a great one and a really poo poo one. The poo poo one is most of the book.

:same:

The Felix bit was amazing, then I got up to the Jack Crow stuff and it's all toxic masculinity wish fulfilment bullshit. He fucks ALL the ladies, beats up ALL the bullies, and is smarter than ALL the nerds. He is a boring and stupid character, and is sapping my will to finish the book.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

:same:

The Felix bit was amazing, then I got up to the Jack Crow stuff and it's all toxic masculinity wish fulfilment bullshit. He fucks ALL the ladies, beats up ALL the bullies, and is smarter than ALL the nerds. He is a boring and stupid character, and is sapping my will to finish the book.

He changes drastically the more he is exposed to Felix. It's worth sticking it out. You are supposed to hate crow.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bird cooch posted:

He changes drastically the more he is exposed to Felix. It's worth sticking it out. You are supposed to hate crow.
Oh? Good to know. I'll give it another shot. Thanks!

e: I mean it's not just that I dislike him, it's that I don't find him believable. That he's magically able to gently caress/murder/outwit anyone and everyone. Still, I'll give it another go.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 9, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The book is called Armor.

It starts with a kickin' rad power armor combat sequence and has a few more of those kind of scenes - Felix kicking Ant rear end despite the best efforts of High Command to get him killed.

That;s not what the book is actually about.

it is about armor. The kind of armor we put between our vulnerable selves and a cold, uncaring universe where hurt happens to those who don't deserve it.

Think about why Felix put the Scout suit on.

Re-read all of Karen's backstory. You probably know people with as painful a past as Karen had, but can't realize it because they never opened up about it. I was on my 5th or 6th re-read when an ex-GF of mind popped into my head. The thought of the poo poo she went through coming of age as the "pretty one", and what happened to her made me weep.

Then do Lya, she's only the first to break under the tidal wave of Felix' experiences.

Karen and Lya's stories are the most important ones in the book. That's how real people deal with trauma. The cool poo poo in the Scout suit is just sugar coating to get you to take in the medicine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wild T posted:

My favorite response to folks raving about how those cowardly French always surrender is to point out that the American Revolution would have been a failed footnote in history if France join in due to their love of loving up the British. Then give us a huge sum of cash to get started and a fancy statue to boot. Y'all can thank Ben Franklin's penis for that.

The French left the flower of their manhood on the bloody, muddy fields of WW1. They get a pass for several generations after that.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

mllaneza posted:

The book is called Armor.

It starts with a kickin' rad power armor combat sequence and has a few more of those kind of scenes - Felix kicking Ant rear end despite the best efforts of High Command to get him killed.

That;s not what the book is actually about.

it is about armor. The kind of armor we put between our vulnerable selves and a cold, uncaring universe where hurt happens to those who don't deserve it.

Think about why Felix put the Scout suit on.

To add to this "the engine" is Felix's real armor. And has his story goes on it begins to fail.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 9, 2019

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Spoiler-The toughest part for me was when he was stealing power from the woman dying in her armor.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mllaneza posted:

The French left the flower of their manhood on the bloody, muddy fields of WW1. They get a pass for several generations after that.

The Army Museum in Paris is really great. The WWI sections are even more depressing than I expected. Practically every portrait of a soldier or officer hanging up had a birthdate in 18-something and a death date in 1914/15.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

canyoneer posted:

The Army Museum in Paris is really great. The WWI sections are even more depressing than I expected. Practically every portrait of a soldier or officer hanging up had a birthdate in 18-something and a death date in 1914/15.

I just got around to watching They Shall Not Grow Old and what struck me was just how much of a children's war WW1 was. The second thing was how they were treated when it was over.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

It's always a children's war.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Smiling Jack posted:

:(

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Smiling Jack posted:

War is always sending your children to kill other children.

WW1 there is the story of the Kinderslaughter, where a unit of German volunteers, almost all from the same school district went against the BEF for the first time. A BEF machine gunner said he wept as he displaced his gun to fire over the piles of bodies.
The boys had started across the field, singing school songs, happy to take part.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2016/05/30/056-armor/

quote:

Wow, what is there to say about John Steakley’s Armor? Strap on your favorite defense mechanisms and join J. and Collision as they try to answer this difficult question about a novel that dares to answer the less difficult question “what if Starship Troopers were incredibly stupid and repetitive?”. Yes, we take on Armor, the book that should have been called A Constant Reminder of Better Books: The Book. As a read, Armor is a terrible slog that looks you square in the eye and shows you atrocities while growling “war…is heck” before bafflingly pivoting to whimsical wisecracking and brief interludes of rough sex. This read was not the smoothest ride, is what we’re saying.

I read Armor years ago over a couple drills and it was bad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EBB posted:

https://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2016/05/30/056-armor/

I read Armor years ago over a couple drills and it was bad.

As soon as someone mentioned Armor I was counting down for IDEOTV to get mentioned.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nm can't enjoy the book anymore, ebb says its it's bad.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My C2 knocks at my door and says "Hey, remember that corpsmember I was gonna have you drive 8 hours to go pick up from an emergency? Well, you won't have to do that. He punched a firefighter so CHP picked him up instead."

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Viva Miriya posted:

Nm can't enjoy the book anymore, ebb says its it's bad.

gently caress off

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

A White Guy posted:

My C2 knocks at my door and says "Hey, remember that corpsmember I was gonna have you drive 8 hours to go pick up from an emergency? Well, you won't have to do that. He punched a firefighter so CHP picked him up instead."

Thinkin' outside the box. Noice.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

gently caress off

Suck my dick goyboy.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Viva Miriya posted:

Suck my dick goyboy.

The gently caress is this

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

The gently caress is this

idk some poo poo I remembered from fyad that worked for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Goy is a term Jewish people use to refer to non-Jews.