Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They're great for kitchen table players. Did you expect the 35 dollar product to be on par with your Force of Will / Mana drain EDH deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DangerDongs posted:

They're great for kitchen table players. Did you expect the 35 dollar product to be on par with your Force of Will / Mana drain EDH deck?

Ahem, they're forty-five???

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry so this might be a dumb question. How does the Nexus of Fate / Wilderness Reclamation combo work? I thought Azcanta had something to do with it but apparently it doesn't because I just played against a guy who went Infinite without it. The thing I don't understand is how they were able to keep recurring Nexus of Fate when they seemingly didn't have anything that let them get a card from their graveyard. There was no Tefari out or anything like that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SalTheBard posted:

I'm sorry so this might be a dumb question. How does the Nexus of Fate / Wilderness Reclamation combo work? I thought Azcanta had something to do with it but apparently it doesn't because I just played against a guy who went Infinite without it. The thing I don't understand is how they were able to keep recurring Nexus of Fate when they seemingly didn't have anything that let them get a card from their graveyard. There was no Tefari out or anything like that.

Nexus puts itself back in your deck any time it would go to your graveyard. The only other thing you need is a way to dig through your deck fast enough to find it again.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jabor posted:

Nexus puts itself back in your deck any time it would go to your graveyard. The only other thing you need is a way to dig through your deck fast enough to find it again.

Jesus an extra turn, at instant speed, that goes back in your deck? O_O Wow. I guess I don't understand how they were continually getting one then because Azcanta wasn't flipped over at the point the infinite cycle started. I guess it's possible they had multiples in their hand.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Generally you run a lot of card draw, stuff like Tamiyo/Azcanta/Narset to filter their whole deck.

The Wilderness reclamation is to:
Allow them to generate enough mana for nexus early (A lot of people on arena gently caress up Manual control for this)
Allow them to play spells and then still react to the opponents turn/do stuff at instant speed
The Azcanta interaction (once they are azcantaing 2+ times a turn they generally are in a lock assuming you can't disrupt them successfully)

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 9, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Ohhh ok that makes sense. Looking at 6 cards is probably bound to get you something you need. Thank you!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DangerDongs posted:

This isn't a post anyone is making.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
this product does not look like it was primarily designed to be great for kitchen table players.

it looks like the primary design consideration was not getting vetoed by the dumbshit at wizards who vetoes attempts to reprint expensive cards, and being fun and exciting for kitchen table players came in second behind that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lone Goat posted:

edh is the format where people get mad at you if you win, so if anything, bad edh cards is what the people want!

lol. You say this like every format isn’t this way.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

DangerDongs posted:

Partner commanders (Tymna, Thrasios, Vial Smasher, Kraum, Tana), mono-blue Teferi planeswalker, Kess, Yidris, Animar, Prossh, Edric, Derevi, Bane of Progress, Scavenging Ooze, Command Tower, Song of the Dryads, Stranglehold, Grasp of Fate

These are all cards that were first printed in a commander product and have gone on to become cornerstones in the format. WotC can and does print good cards in these precons sometimes. Maybe it's only by accident and the last two years they've managed to avoid accidentally designing anything desirable.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Madness and Morph deck both own bones for different reasons and even include a pretty good number of reprints even if they arent quite the ones you would want.

Populate and Flashback decks arent on their level but include some decent commanders and a few new cards that are worth picking.

Im chalking this up to a win, gonna pick up all four with leftover store credit and turn them into a battlebox for my boardgame group.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Is there a reason commander decks are still 99 cards aside from tradition?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It was basically just the arbitrary number they settled on when making the format. Canadian Highlander (I think that's the name) was a 100 card Singleton format before EDH was a thing, so they probably borrowed it from there.

Sometimes I do wish it was 60 cards, just because shuffling a 100 card double sleeved deck is annoying.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

If you aren't a little hype to play egg/giant dork tribal then gtfo.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

edh is the format where people get mad at you if you win, so if anything, bad edh cards is what the people want!

it really feels like this is their design philosophy. every card costs 10 mana and requires significant setup costs to do anything at all.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Magic the Gathering is a brain disease
http://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1159815361862258689

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that looks more like capitalism's fault to me

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Aranan posted:

Partner commanders (Tymna, Thrasios, Vial Smasher, Kraum, Tana), mono-blue Teferi planeswalker, Kess, Yidris, Animar, Prossh, Edric, Derevi, Bane of Progress, Scavenging Ooze, Command Tower, Song of the Dryads, Stranglehold, Grasp of Fate

These are all cards that were first printed in a commander product and have gone on to become cornerstones in the format. WotC can and does print good cards in these precons sometimes. Maybe it's only by accident and the last two years they've managed to avoid accidentally designing anything desirable.

Aside from the Partners year the average for widely-playable new cards has been low. And this year has one, if not two, new cards that will be played in the format extensively.

Nothing legacy playable like a TNN, but ‘new commander staples’.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

This isn't a post anyone is making.

Complaining about reprint value for intro decks for new players mainly aimed at creating new cards for a more casual format is exactly that post.

I also agree these decks look weak. I can't imagine a product that cost less than 50 being a serious big boy deck is legacy with fast mana format.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

EDH players are really bad at evaluating cards. Look at how many edh players will pay out the ears for a rhystic study but not look twice at a mystic remora. Printing cards that edh players think are sick but are actually terrible is perfect for a commander product. Way better than putting high value cards that edh players don't care about.

e: also see Empowered Autogenerator, an outrageously slow ramp card (how would you like to have 6 mana on turn 5?). EDH players love that. It's infinite value. Or reliquary tower, a recently reprinted uncommon with marginal value, still going 3 dollars.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 9, 2019

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
At least they're giving us decent cards in the normal sets, I guess. I stand by my statement that War and MH1 each individually had more new cards worth playing in commander than C19.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

At least they're giving us decent cards in the normal sets, I guess. I stand by my statement that War and MH1 each individually had more new cards worth playing in commander than C19.

Battlebond was the best Commander product.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What are the odds that a big % of the people complaining about c19 don't even play commander.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I thought everyone who posted here has quit playing magic years ago, but still post just to tell other people that the formats they enjoy are bad.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I like to play magic

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Time posted:

I like to play magic

Me too but I also hate every minute of it

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like playing Commander casually with my friends

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I like playing commander competitively with my friends. It’s great to be able to play a half dozen game of commander in a single night.

More power to the people that love a 6-hour game of battlecruiser, but if I wanted that I’d play Monopoly or Risk (under no circumstances would I play either).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Time posted:

I like to play magic

I like to get hosed you don't see me bragging

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MikeCrotch posted:

Is there a reason commander decks are still 99 cards aside from tradition?

they're 100 cards, but the 100th card doesn't start in your library

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Aranan posted:

I thought everyone who posted here has quit playing magic years ago, but still post just to tell other people that the formats they enjoy are bad.

this was me then Arena came out so i play that now

so obviously any format that can't be played on arena is bad

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I mean, it's what I'd do if I was still not making much money and wanted to fund my hobby. It's probably a bad dollar to time ratio otherwise to do this kind of thing. In theory going with no MSRP should also solve this by letting the price to customers float, but then you constantly get people complaining about gouging.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Stab posted:

EDH players are really bad at evaluating cards. Look at how many edh players will pay out the ears for a rhystic study but not look twice at a mystic remora. Printing cards that edh players think are sick but are actually terrible is perfect for a commander product. Way better than putting high value cards that edh players don't care about.

e: also see Empowered Autogenerator, an outrageously slow ramp card (how would you like to have 6 mana on turn 5?). EDH players love that. It's infinite value. Or reliquary tower, a recently reprinted uncommon with marginal value, still going 3 dollars.

Both Rhystic Study and Mystic Remora are fantastic cards.

What's more troubling is how many people don't pay the 1. Holy poo poo dude don't let the Rhystic user draw 4 cards per turn please.

(Unless it's me. Gimme.)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Framboise posted:

Both Rhystic Study and Mystic Remora are fantastic cards.

What's more troubling is how many people don't pay the 1. Holy poo poo dude don't let the Rhystic user draw 4 cards per turn please.

(Unless it's me. Gimme.)

Sure but mystic remora is a better card than rhystic study in almost every circumstance, and costs less to buy, but there's tons of decks out there that play rhystic study and not mystic remora.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
A 1 drop enchantment is a no-brainer include, yeah. I think a lot of people are turned off by the cumulative upkeep but don't realize that it's very much worth it, especially early game.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

all 5 of the stores by me wouldn't sell the TNN deck alone, if you wanted it you had to buy the full set of them. :smith:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheTofuShop posted:

all 5 of the stores by me wouldn't sell the TNN deck alone, if you wanted it you had to buy the full set of them. :smith:

Because no one wanted the other four decks. Wizards did a second wave of the TNN deck, but made stores buy the other four decks.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The Oloro deck was actually my first EDH pickup. I don't regret it-- at the very least I have Oloro and Toxic Deluge out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheTofuShop posted:

That's why he went to Walmarts and Targets, because they don't give a drat. It's only your FLGS that knows that only the one deck will move.