Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wargames posted:

i hope that is real and we bring back gpu box art.

box art never ever left for the SEA markets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrDork posted:

If they did, they'd have to include a kick-stand or something to help keep the weight off the slot.

Yeah, provide dummy blades that slot into the obstructed PCI slots and hold it up.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

repiv posted:

gently caress it, multi-gpu is dead, why aren't AIBs making 5 slot cards yet

RX 5700 XT CHONKR

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The “instant replay” shadow play feature is legit. I turned it on with my 2080 Ti and feel no performance impact. Plus I don’t have to worry about pressing any buttons to capture any highlights off pubg or any other games that support it. Apparently it’s been a thing for awhile.

I’m not sure if it’s the new Turing NVENC or what, I’ll have to test it on my previous 1080 Ti

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rabid Snake posted:

The “instant replay” shadow play feature is legit. I turned it on with my 2080 Ti and feel no performance impact. Plus I don’t have to worry about pressing any buttons to capture any highlights off pubg or any other games that support it. Apparently it’s been a thing for awhile.

I’m not sure if it’s the new Turing NVENC or what, I’ll have to test it on my previous 1080 Ti

its been around for awhile now. I remember using it on a 970.

GTX 600 series is the minimum supported gpu

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

its been around for awhile now. I remember using it on a 970.

GTX 600 series is the minimum supported gpu

I knew about shadowplay but I didn’t realize it automatically made clips of eliminations or other “highlight” worthy plays. I’m guessing Nvidia partners with certain game developers and gives them an api to work with

edit: Oh I guess its called nvidia highlights

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 9, 2019

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

RX 5700 XT CHONKR Absolute Unit

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rabid Snake posted:

AMD also has this feature.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rabid Snake posted:

I knew about shadowplay but I didn’t realize it automatically made clips of eliminations or other “highlight” worthy plays. I’m guessing Nvidia partners with certain game developers and gives them an api to work with

edit: Oh I guess its called nvidia highlights

It only works on certain games yeah.

Regrettable posted:

FuturePastNow posted:

RX 5700 XT CHONKR Absolute Unit

I would legit choose the meme name over something else if given the option.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wargames posted:

AMD also has this feature.

No they don't, on AMD you have to manually press a hotkey to save clips. Rabid Snake is talking about the feature where games like PUBG and Fortnite integrate with GFE and automatically save out clips when something interesting happens.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I hope someone is batshit crazy enough to make a card with basically a 120mm cooling tunnel that dumps heat outside through 6-slot outlet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think the current hybrid coolers are good enough that you don't need something like that. I just wish we could crank the clocks and volts up manually like a CPU.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

alex314 posted:

I hope someone is batshit crazy enough to make a card with basically a 120mm cooling tunnel that dumps heat outside through 6-slot outlet.

Ah yes the PNY ThrustR

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

alex314 posted:

The giant AMD cards in the new Mac Pro are basically this. 3 slot exhaust.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

No they don't, on AMD you have to manually press a hotkey to save clips. Rabid Snake is talking about the feature where games like PUBG and Fortnite integrate with GFE and automatically save out clips when something interesting happens.

they should integrate it with G-assist so that you can tab out and then it pages you back when the game is actually going to be fun

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I occasionally get annoyed when I'm reminded that I sold my AC Extreme Plus and Twin Turbo coolers for basically a pittance a while back. The XP is probably still working with modern cards even since it was overkill for the old 6970, although the Turbos likely wouldn't be much good on anything faster than a 1060. At least most cards have good coolers nowadays above a certain price point, so I don't immediately feel a need to go buy aftermarket cooling.

Someone on the last page asked about 3-fan coolers vs 2-fan. It really depends on the specific card and manufacturer which is better. The 3-fan cooler on my Gigabyte 1070 was reasonably quiet and did a good job, but the 2-fan cooler on the MSI 2070 I got in SA Mart destroys the old one. Even in a very quiet case it's inaudible until 55% fan speed and keeps the card at or below 72C. Probably doesn't hurt that it's easily twice the weight of the 1070's cooler and just much larger overall.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VelociBacon posted:

I think the current hybrid coolers are good enough that you don't need something like that. I just wish we could crank the clocks and volts up manually like a CPU.

Who said anything about need :D

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Question: Would I be able to get an appreciably higher overclock on an RTX 2070 if I swapped the cooler from the MSI Gaming X to that Morpheus II or an AIO? Just using MSI Afterburner, no hard mods.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Question: Would I be able to get an appreciably higher overclock on an RTX 2070 if I swapped the cooler from the MSI Gaming X to that Morpheus II or an AIO? Just using MSI Afterburner, no hard mods.

What clocks are you getting now? From what I've read no amount of cooling is going to get you much above 2ghz core and 7.5-8ghz VRAM. It may help you sustain higher clocks longer though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Probably not, no. If you currently are running it at <80C, you're not thermal throttling, so better cooling wouldn't change things much.

Now, can you get quieter cooling at the same performance points with an AIO? Absofuckin'lutley.

If you haven't already tried, though, you can use MSI Afterburner to adjust the curves and effectively undervolt the card, which will also drop temps (and noise), but again not really do too much for the top-end performance.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I think if I ever build a desktop in traditional form factor again I'll go water on it all just to see how silent I can make it

I can cool everything I need with my 250 worth of noctuas running slowly in my 75 lb case 🤷

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Water isn't necessarily quieter than big fan air cooling. Once you start getting down to near silent you start getting into hardcore diminishing returns. I think for most video, water IS the way to go, but a big giant Be Quiet! or Noctua can keep a CPU very quiet. Air cooling can also consistently be silent under low load situations whereas with water, you might catch some pump noise. Also, at that level, you can hear traffic from the freeway, your refridgerator in the next room, your wifi router, your hard disk in your NAS. Point is, don't chase too hard.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

LRADIKAL posted:

Water isn't necessarily quieter than big fan air cooling. Once you start getting down to near silent you start getting into hardcore diminishing returns. I think for most video, water IS the way to go, but a big giant Be Quiet! or Noctua can keep a CPU very quiet. Air cooling can also consistently be silent under low load situations whereas with water, you might catch some pump noise. Also, at that level, you can hear traffic from the freeway, your refridgerator in the next room, your wifi router, your hard disk in your NAS. Point is, don't chase too hard.

That just means the next step is to completely soundproof the office....

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gyrotica posted:

That just means the next step is to completely soundproof the office....

I only game in my anechoic chamber

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
As the current owner of a big rear end air cooler I'm definitely going water next time, if only because it's smaller.

My current cooler blocks the ram and it was necessary to take apart part of the mobo to fasten it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like the d15s. Clearance is good.

eames
May 9, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I like the d15s. Clearance is good.

:same:

I had to reseat and shuffle all my 4 RAM sticks with the cooler installed and it was a 3 min job. I wish Noctua made something like the Morpheus 2 but with a universal bracket or their free mounting hardware for future products.
Does anybody know how the Morpheus 2 would fare on something a 2080ti, if it’s even compatible? I imagine there would be very little gain to be had because of those stock vaporchamber coolers.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

eames posted:

:same:

I had to reseat and shuffle all my 4 RAM sticks with the cooler installed and it was a 3 min job. I wish Noctua made something like the Morpheus 2 but with a universal bracket or their free mounting hardware for future products.
Does anybody know how the Morpheus 2 would fare on something a 2080ti, if it’s even compatible? I imagine there would be very little gain to be had because of those stock vaporchamber coolers.

I put the evga hybrid cooler on mine, works well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
since we're doing build advice, I have a Fractal R6 with a Noctua D15S. Right now the case is rigged for front-to-back airflow.

I haven't put my GPU in yet. I'm using a G10 cooler with an H75 and I'm not sure how to mount it into the system. Do I put the rad on the rear mount? I don't know if the tubes are long enough to reach all the way to the front or top. I'm also not sure whether the rad and fan can be squeeze in between the case and the cooler stack.

If I put it on the rear, do I configure it as exhaust (keeping it front-to-back airflow)? This would mean the fan is sucking air coming right off the CPU cooler, which probably isn't the best thing for temps. But I'm not sure there's a better way. Putting it on intake would mean the radiator fan fighting the CPU cooler. Or do I flip the CPU cooler and run a positive pressure setup with heat coming out the top?

This is the downside of air cooled setups... AIO cooled setups gave me a lot more clearance and a lot more options. I'm giving some thought to swapping back to an air-cooled GPU, that would dump heat into the case but also open up more airflow to suck it back out.

I may do the Morpheus II thing. otoh that will block most of my expansion slots (all but the last I think). I may be able to wiggle around it by using a riser cable and using the vertical mount that's normally intended for GPUs though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 9, 2019

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I'd go positive pressure with air coming out the top, and fit a filter to the aio fan to minimize dust as much as possible. Either configuration should be more than fine. With the large fin array of the d15s I'd hazard a guess and say that the cpu exhaust temps are going to be lower/affect the aio less than the other way around, but the d15s is a massively overpowered cooler for most situations and will work well regardless.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

LRADIKAL posted:

Point is, don't chase too hard.

? whats the point of this thread and hobby then

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

If I put it on the rear, do I configure it as exhaust (keeping it front-to-back airflow)? This would mean the fan is sucking air coming right off the CPU cooler, which probably isn't the best thing for temps. But I'm not sure there's a better way. Putting it on intake would mean the radiator fan fighting the CPU cooler. Or do I flip the CPU cooler and run a positive pressure setup with heat coming out the top?

Setting it as exhaust would be fine. Even a H55 is a bit overkill for a GPU, a H75 isn't gonna give two shits about sucking in moderately warm CPU air.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
H75 is the slim 120mm. It’s a small boi.

I’m not sure what screw thread and length to use to mount the rad. I remember looking and not seeing it in the hardware pak. The ones I saw were the stand-off style used with a fan, not a short one for mounting direct to the case.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

H75 is the slim 120mm. It’s a small boi.

I’m not sure what screw thread and length to use to mount the rad. I remember looking and not seeing it in the hardware pak. The ones I saw were the stand-off style used with a fan, not a short one for mounting direct to the case.

Yeah, the H75 is still the same thickness as the H55 (~27mm IIRC), but as it's a more advanced model, it still ends up cooling more efficiently. So if a H55 is good enough (and it is), a H75 is even better.

Some of the mounting strategies actually use long screws to go through both the fan and the rad and then into the case, so see if you have a set like that.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I would very much like to see it completed.

Got a cheap Zotac 1070ti mini off ebay a while back. Predictably, the fan sounded like a hair drier and throttled down to 1640 with the thermal limit set to 85C°. Had bought an Accelero Xtreme III and finally worked up the effort to set everything up.

First try at putting on heatsinks on the vrms/vram. Turns out the mini pcb has the top and bottom vram chips closer to the core and fully covering them with heatsinks blocks the mounting plate :downs:

Second try, I also added a small heatsink to the circled small vrm thing afterwards.

Welp. I expected that slightly bending the heatpipe ends might be necessary, but uhh

:ssh: I had to pull this all a second time because I used the chance to stick a ID Cooling IS-60 on the cpu but put it on in the wrong direction so the Noctua fan clipped the top even with the dust filter removed.

There's some coil whine that wasn't there with the stock cooler but it's not too obnoxious and the gpu stays around 2000mhz core while barely going over 70C° so I'm pretty pleased with myself. Going with a reference card for this sort of thing next time though.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 10, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol......?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Yeah I'm trying to wrap my head around buying a mini 1070 and putting a Morpheus II on it

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hows it cool? I appreciate small cases that are mostly heatsinks inside.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

greasyhands posted:

Yeah I'm trying to wrap my head around buying a mini 1070 and putting a Morpheus II on it

It was super cheap and the Node 202 is set up in a way where there's already two 120mm fans right next to the gpu so it only cost me 40 eur v:shobon:v

Hows it cool? I appreciate small cases that are mostly heatsinks inside.

Two 120x25mm fans under the gpu radiator pushing air into the case aaand that's it. There's a reason this case a has a reputation for being toasty, but with the drive bay removed and a decent low profile cpu fan it's not nearly as bad.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Arzachel posted:

Going with a reference card for this sort of thing next time though.

These sorts of projects are why I am proud to be a SA member.