Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krankenstyle posted:

A lighter topic, then. Behold The cold Maiden, a jerkoff-"machine"confiscated by Danish police in 1937:

How did the police come to get their hands on it?

Why did they hold onto it for long enough for it to be of historical interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Probably a vice raid at a brothel or a tobacconist selling French postcards under the counter, something like that.

They have all kinds of stuff at the police museum, I guess they just saved the curiosities. Here's "The Butterfly Collection", women's pubes collected by a serial "seducer" named Kristen Pedersen Siggaard. There's an accompanying notebook with his comments on their "erotic abilities and appearance". No year given.

Apparently he also defrauded some 200 women of money with false marriage proposals. I suppose the 1934 case against him was how the police got a hold of that one.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Aug 2, 2019

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

A lighter topic, then. Behold The cold Maiden, a jerkoff-"machine"confiscated by Danish police in 1937:

So, is this the 20th century gently caress machine meant to outperform the 19th century gently caress machine covered earlier ITT?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Krankenstyle posted:

Imagine the desperation that led up to the construction of this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah tbh it looks terrible and I can't imagine it's very good.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Krankenstyle posted:

Probably a vice raid at a brothel or a tobacconist selling French postcards under the counter, something like that.

They have all kinds of stuff at the police museum, I guess they just saved the curiosities. Here's "The Butterfly Collection", women's pubes collected by a serial "seducer" named Kristen Pedersen Siggaard. There's an accompanying notebook with his comments on their "erotic abilities and appearance". No year given.

Apparently he also defrauded some 200 women of money with false marriage proposals. I suppose the 1934 case against him was how the police got a hold of that one.

110 really ahead of her time there.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Krankenstyle posted:

i don't get it, where does your dick go

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CoolCab posted:

i don't get it, where does your dick go

I assume the leather belt means you can adjust the hole size to normal girth

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

PYF Historical Fun Fact: I assume the leather belt means you can adjust the hole size to normal girth

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah tbh it looks terrible and I can't imagine it's very good.

Don't knock it til you've tried it imo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

I assume the leather belt means you can adjust the hole size to normal girth

That 4 Stam gonna be pretty handy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Solice Kirsk posted:

lmao

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

I like that they didn't even try to make it look like a woman.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alhazred posted:

I like that they didn't even try to make it look like a woman.

It's probably where the term "box" came from.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not a reference I expected to see in the history thread, but nice. :golfclap:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I hate how long it took me to get this. I thought I was free!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PMush Perfect posted:

I hate how long it took me to get this. I thought I was free!

you will never be free unless you bounce off the moon

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krankenstyle posted:

There's an episode of Married with Children where Al is having fantasy about being in the old west and someone cracks a joke about Bud being behind the barn with his wooden woman, guess this answers how that would work.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I don't think that answers more questions than it creates.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

So, this is absolutely not a "fun" fact but it’s something I didn’t know and which kinda blew my mind: In March 1942, 80% of the roughly 6 million people that were murdered during the Holocaust were still alive. Eleven months later, that number had sunk to 20%.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I don't think that answers more questions than it crates.

shameful

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In april 1267 Richard de Southchurch marched to London to take it back from the rebel Gilbert de Clare. He made several demands from the local peasant in order to secure provisions for his army. He also demanded forty roosters which he planned to set on fire and hurl into London in order to burn it down.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
But there's more!

Wikipedia posted:

The scheme, impractical as it might seem, was supposedly based on contemporary sagas of Viking heroes. But the complaints of the local community were based on the fact that Southchurch had taken all the supplies home to his own manor of Southchurch, received 200 marks from the exchequer, yet never paid out any of what the owners of the goods were entitled to.

It's Henry III who was leading an army, Richard de Southchurch was actually just a sheriff. It was clearly not the only time he did something shady:

Wikipedia posted:

In 1279, he received a pardon and was acquitted of a fine of 100 shilling for being present at the theft of a hart at the king's forest of Chelmsford. In 1289 he was also acquitted of the great sum of 1000 pounds for perjury, in return for releasing the manor of Hatfield Peverel to the king.

Richard de Southchurch: sheriff, con artist, poacher, perjurer.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kassad posted:

But there's more!

It's Henry III who was leading an army, Richard de Southchurch was actually just a sheriff. It was clearly not the only time he did something shady:

Richard de Southchurch: sheriff, con artist, poacher, perjurer.

A Renaissance man long before there was a Renaissance to be a man of

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1265 the varangian guard were ambushed by bulgars in a small town called Ainos. In order to free themselves they had to release a prisoner of war named Azz-Ed-In. When the emperor's other soldiers recaptured the town the varangians were forced to ride on donkeys while wearing women's clothes through the streets of Constantinople as punishment for failing to beat the bulgars.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not used to seeing the word "bulgar" and my brain keeps trying to interpret it as a horn player, a thief, a type of wheat, or a hot ground beef sandwich.

I am aware of the nation of Bulgaria.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
There is a common belief that Christopher Columbus believed to the end that he had discovered a western route to the East Indies, despite mounting evidence to the contrary during his lifetime. The truth may be more complicated, however. Many of his writings do demonstrate his continued belief that he had reached the east coast of Asia. However, there is evidence in his journals and the “Book of Privileges”, a book Columbus wrote to document the rewards he believed he was owed by the crown, that he was aware that had landed on an entirely different continent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC even back then most Europeans had such sketchy knowledge of eastern Asia that they'd probably take ages to figure out whether they were on a completely different continent or not anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People knew that the world was round and they had a pretty good idea of its radius.

Columbus thought the Earth was shaped like a pear so that the accepted radius wasn’t representative of the path length between Europe and the Indies.

He was hilariously wrong.

Everyone back home may not have known where the hell he landed, but it drat well couldn’t be the Indies. He couldn’t have covered enough distance to make it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wouldn't be surprised if Columbus at some point started pretending he knew he couldn't have been in Asia all along.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
At least Amerigo Vespucci had his act together

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm absolutely positive that educated Spanish & Portuguese knew the Earth's circumference. Muslim scholars in Al-Andalus had been translating and disseminating a ton of Greek works for centuries, including many works on natural philosophy, as well as writing new works.

e: lol

quote:

1,700 years after Eratosthenes's death, while Christopher Columbus studied what Eratosthenes had written about the size of the Earth, he chose to believe, based on a map by Toscanelli, that the Earth's circumference was 25% smaller. Had Columbus set sail knowing that Eratosthenes's larger circumference value was more accurate, he would have known that the place that he made landfall was not Asia, but rather the New World.[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_circumference

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Aug 9, 2019

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Yeah the Earth's circumference was widely known in Europe at the time, Columbus was just being a goon. I listened to a program about it a long time ago, but I can't remember the details. When the knowledge of the Americas was coming back to Europe at that time, was it already known that there was an East coast of Eurasia with China etc, and that the newly-discovered Americas had to be bounded on both sides by ocean? Or did some people look at the known circumference of the earth and decide that Eurasia was just a lot longer than they'd thought, and that Columbus had found the east coast of it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People knew that Japan existed as an island off the coast of China.

The oldest extant globe was finished shortly before Columbus returned from his first voyage and the relevant hemisphere looks like this:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

People knew that Japan existed as an island off the coast of China.

The oldest extant globe was finished shortly before Columbus returned from his first voyage and the relevant hemisphere looks like this:

Coincidentally that (a projection of the Behaim globe) looks quite a bit like that Toscanelli map mentioned above, which was part of Columbus' planning and was sent to Columbus by Toscanelli himself expressly to pitch the idea of a Western trade route to the Spice Islands.

Here is the Toscanelli map overlaid over actual geography - it badly miscalculated the size of Asia.

Columbus made the matter worse by further arriving at incorrect dimensions of the Earth.

Nevertheless, the fact that the ocean separating Europe and Asia was so narrow both on the Toscanelli map and the Behaim globe (which isn't just a copy of Toscanelli, as many claim) shows that the concept of its size was not well understood universally, not only by Columbus.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Aug 9, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol at Japan* overlapping Mexico

* I assume that's what Cippangu means

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Krankenstyle posted:

lol at Japan* overlapping Mexico

* I assume that's what Cippangu means

Yeah, it comes from the Mandarin Cipan-guo which literally means "Kingdom of the Rising Sun" and was brought to Europe by Marco Polo who probably learned about it during his stay in China.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

Nevertheless, the fact that the ocean separating Europe and Asia was so narrow both on the Toscanelli map and the Behaim globe (which isn't just a copy of Toscanelli, as many claim) shows that the concept of its size was not well understood universally, not only by Columbus.

They have an excuse with longitude in that without either the telescope or an accurate and portable timepiece, deduced reckoning on a sailing ship is as good as it gets, and that wasn’t very good.

There is less excuse for putting Japan and Indonesia so far south.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Did Columbus not have telescopes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Apparently not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_telescope

Funny, I thought they were older than that too.