Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Almost no restaurant open for regular dinner hours is ever going to have a 7pm slot open, they essentially don’t exist because then the restaurant can’t have multiple turns on the table (especially large tables.) Youre probably going to need to either plan for sometime close to opening time or more like 8/830

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Almost no restaurant open for regular dinner hours is ever going to have a 7pm slot open, they essentially don’t exist because then the restaurant can’t have multiple turns on the table (especially large tables.) Youre probably going to need to either plan for sometime close to opening time or more like 8/830
That's useful information! Thank you.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
No prob!

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I've been interested in taking a few cooking classes in my spare time, anyone know of any good ones in SF? I had sushi classes in mind in particular but I'm not sure how to distinguish the "good for tech company team outing" type classes versus fundamental focused classes with quality instruction (not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive, but...). I'm open to other cuisines in general, too!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
18 Reasons does a bunch of different classes and they do a lot of good food cause work, maybe check them out

acksplode
May 17, 2004

canoshiz posted:

I've been interested in taking a few cooking classes in my spare time, anyone know of any good ones in SF? I had sushi classes in mind in particular but I'm not sure how to distinguish the "good for tech company team outing" type classes versus fundamental focused classes with quality instruction (not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive, but...). I'm open to other cuisines in general, too!

This is out in Pacifica, but I took this Thai cooking class with some family and loved it: https://www.mamathaicookingclub.com/home.html. The woman who runs it shares my opinion that pretty much all Thai restaurants in the US make their food way too sweet, so we made what ended up being some of the best Thai food I've ever had. The intention is that you leave with the ability to reproduce what you made -- she hands out recipes afterward and has practical advice for grocery shopping.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

acksplode posted:

This is out in Pacifica, but I took this Thai cooking class with some family and loved it: https://www.mamathaicookingclub.com/home.html. The woman who runs it shares my opinion that pretty much all Thai restaurants in the US make their food way too sweet, so we made what ended up being some of the best Thai food I've ever had. The intention is that you leave with the ability to reproduce what you made -- she hands out recipes afterward and has practical advice for grocery shopping.

Ohh, that looks nice! I was disappointed because I wanted to try out Kasma's cooking classes, but she stopped giving the starting ones just after I moved here. That seems like it might be pretty legit, even with the ~holistic~ buzzwords to cater to the local crowd.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

idiotsavant posted:

18 Reasons does a bunch of different classes and they do a lot of good food cause work, maybe check them out

I've actually done one of these, as an aforementioned tech company team outing! They definitely seemed cool but we only ended up making pasta for 20 minutes and not doing much else. Not sure if that was because of the format of the class we took or if that's the typical team outing experience.

That Thai class looks cool, I'll have to check that out at some point. It being a weekday in Pacifica makes it a little tricky, though...

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Question:
So there's BFF.fm, and radiovalencia.fm, anyone have other, small less well-known SF-based web radio stations? (leaving out KQED NPR cos not small, and SomaFM cos prolly quite well-known)

Development
Jun 2, 2016

anyone wanna go check out Shang Cafe in the South Bay? It's Hunan Impressions' sister restaurant

https://www.yelp.com/biz/shang-cafe-san-jose-2

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Ok the Wursthall people finally got back to me and I got reservations on 8/18 at 6pm.

Hopefully that works for everyone still who participated in the Doodle.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Switzerland posted:

Question:
So there's BFF.fm, and radiovalencia.fm, anyone have other, small less well-known SF-based web radio stations? (leaving out KQED NPR cos not small, and SomaFM cos prolly quite well-known)

If you live in SF you should only be listening to KPOO you goddamn uncultured swine

Carillon
May 9, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

Ok the Wursthall people finally got back to me and I got reservations on 8/18 at 6pm.

Awesome, looking forward to it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Went to Mister Jiu's for my girlfriend's birthday thanks to this thread. She loved it! Thanks all for the recommendation. Highlights were definitely mapo tofu, egg drop, and the steak fried rice. The mapo was very good, reminded me of a more classic approach but the silken tofu 'block' was a nice touch. The egg drop really comes across as corn soup with egg drop on top, but still really good, I loved the squash blossom they floated on it. Lastly the steak fried rice was rich without being heavy, the heart really added some great flavor and richness.

Small downsides, the dutch crunch pork buns were great but inconsistent, one or two had the topping just fall off before biting into it. The dumplings had a great filling and flavor (plus they were dyed pink!) but I thought the wrapper was a bit tough, maybe it's a style thing but they came across overworked to me.

Cocktails were across the board great. I'd wanted to try Baiju in a drink and their version let the spirit shine through but tempered it so it wasn't too overwhelming.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If anyone could make baiju palatable it would be Danny Louie.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone got a good rec for a wine tasting thingie in Napa Valley?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
dont go wine tasting in napa unless you want the whole party bus experience, and if that's what you want just go based on reviews or whatever

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

AnonSpore posted:

Serious post; do Shafer or Opus One. Both are moderately serious if rather expensive

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If anyone could make baiju palatable it would be Danny Louie.

You have to buy the expensive kind and drink it straight up with filthy peasant spicy Chinese food, the filthier the better. I don’t often drink it, but getting shitfaced on it in the Guizhou countryside is one of the peak drinking experiences of my life

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thanks for the advice/recs. I don't drink myself (I'll be driving), but I have relatives visiting from out of the country soon and they said they'd like to visit Napa so I kinda figured they might be interested in something like that? If there's something a bit more casual than a full seated wine tasting but still gets to sample some decent wines then I think that'd be good too.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Carillon posted:

Went to Mister Jiu's for my girlfriend's birthday thanks to this thread. She loved it! Thanks all for the recommendation. Highlights were definitely mapo tofu, egg drop, and the steak fried rice. The mapo was very good, reminded me of a more classic approach but the silken tofu 'block' was a nice touch. The egg drop really comes across as corn soup with egg drop on top, but still really good, I loved the squash blossom they floated on it. Lastly the steak fried rice was rich without being heavy, the heart really added some great flavor and richness.

Small downsides, the dutch crunch pork buns were great but inconsistent, one or two had the topping just fall off before biting into it. The dumplings had a great filling and flavor (plus they were dyed pink!) but I thought the wrapper was a bit tough, maybe it's a style thing but they came across overworked to me.

Cocktails were across the board great. I'd wanted to try Baiju in a drink and their version let the spirit shine through but tempered it so it wasn't too overwhelming.

The dutch crunch bao really aren't worth it. I loved the sea urchin cheong fun which was probably the highlight of the meal for me. My partner and I also liked the turnip cake and the steak rice was amazing.

AnonSpore posted:

Mumm if you like bubbles.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Thanks for the advice/recs. I don't drink myself (I'll be driving), but I have relatives visiting from out of the country soon and they said they'd like to visit Napa so I kinda figured they might be interested in something like that? If there's something a bit more casual than a full seated wine tasting but still gets to sample some decent wines then I think that'd be good too.

TBH you'll have a much better time finding more casual stuff in Sonoma.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Here's a pretty thorough guide to wine country, via one of my friends. https://thepress.sfchronicle.com/

Development
Jun 2, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

we gon' be a couple mins late, taking the NB express caltrain from SJ

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

See ya there!

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I'm waiting out front with a Warriors cap. I think we can sit down once some more people arrive.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

nugget of poo posted:

See ya there!
This guy is my husband of 10+ years (we met on SA!).

Love him dearly, but his taste in food is not to be trusted. For lunch today he had a solitary Monterey Chicken taquito from 7/11. Please steer him well, foodie goons. I'm sitting this one out to look after the kids.

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

amethystbliss posted:

This guy is my husband of 10+ years (we met on SA!).

Love him dearly, but his taste in food is not to be trusted. For lunch today he had a solitary Monterey Chicken taquito from 7/11. Please steer him well, foodie goons. I'm sitting this one out to look after the kids.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It was delicious

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

We're sitting inside now so anyone else coming just walk in and sit down

Development
Jun 2, 2016

y’all missed a really good sausage party, followed by ice cream in fish bread.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

All the sea bream you could eat!

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

I saw this and thought of y'all. https://twitter.com/hooven08/status/1164985206916493312

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Looks like seitan, which would be excellent if it were. Man I want a BBQ seitan sandwich now.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Anyone have recommendations for a soup dumpling place in the city? Or dumplings in general?

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 10, 2019

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a soup dumpling place in the city? Or dumplings in general?

XLB I liked at Palette, Kenji thinks the best are at Din Ding in Fremont fwiw (assuming he hasn't changed that opinion).

Dumpling wise my go to spot in the city for dim sum including dumplings is Good Luck Dim Sum over on Clement.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
Dumplings in general is pretty broad, so kind of depends on what style(s) you like. I haven't been out to eat in ages though so my first hand knowledge is pretty weak. Dumpling Time in SoMa is pretty close to where I work so I've been there sort of recently, and I liked most things I had. My coworkers seemed to love the tom yum soup dumplings but I thought they were just sort of ok; preferred the standard kind.

I think the list in https://www.hungryonion.org/t/regional-chinese-roundup-3-0-sf-bay-area/4640 is pretty good though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Dumpling empire, dumpling king, my favorite is house of noodles their noodles are house made plus great boiled dumplings.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Thanks for the suggestions

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Carillon posted:

XLB I liked at Palette
Seconded; I had it over the weekend and it was pretty good. Still prefer Koi Palace in Dublin though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

i dumpling in redwood city

name is unfortunate but food is :yum: