Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Rarity posted:

It's also vital to note (especially in the context of that Chris Williamson tweet) that due to the disproportionate percentage of BAME, LGBTQ+ and disabled people within the working class that identity politics is class politics and class politics is identity politics. You can't discuss one without the other and dividing the two is what the right-wing does to keep the poor distracted instead of turning on the rich.

Williamson will be writing for Spiked in a matter of months, you mark my words

EDIT:
I'm not really a fan of cats, so have a bird instead:

mediadave fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it'd be ACAB the show, but Law & Order would be a totally appropriate name.
I prefer the first one.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
A planning lawyer I follow due to my day job has posted an excruciatingly detailed analysis of why even if Boris loses a no confidence vote we are still likely to leave on October 31st.

http://planninglawblog.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-brief-digression-from-planning-law.html?m=1

It is very lawyery but in case anyone wants to understand in detail as to why we are hosed whatever happens and why Boris is being so bullish.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

A planning lawyer I follow due to my day job has posted an excruciatingly detailed analysis of why even if Boris loses a no confidence vote we are still likely to leave on October 31st.

http://planninglawblog.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-brief-digression-from-planning-law.html?m=1

It is very lawyery but in case anyone wants to understand in detail as to why we are hosed whatever happens and why Boris is being so bullish.

Yeah it's pretty much a done deal at this point however doing any of those manoeuvres will cost Boris the election and probably wreck the Tory party as there's this huge obvious dodge around democratic process and election coverage rules apply to media as the mechanics of no dealing unfold while Labour gets air time quite convincing saying Labour wouldn't have hosed it so badly and here's the manifesto plans to deal with it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mediadave posted:

EDIT:
I'm not really a fan of cats

Wall.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

A cat

ACAT

All Cats Are Tories

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

A planning lawyer I follow due to my day job has posted an excruciatingly detailed analysis of why even if Boris loses a no confidence vote we are still likely to leave on October 31st

I have a feeling this is where the EU might extend again in that circumstance given how blatantly unconstitutional it would all be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A cat is its essential nature, a tory is a product of a society.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That's an explanation of how merely losing a VONC or calling a GE won't prevent No Deal Brexit. If it gets to the point where Boris is getting no confidenced because of NDB, though, then there would also be a Parliamentary majority for blocking it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bojo won't be VONCed tho

Why would the tories vote for that?

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
That's the bluest great tit I've ever seen

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But enough about boris waheeeyeyyyyyyyyy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

A cat is its essential nature, a tory is a product of a society.
On one hand the cat's nature is also a product of human society through domestication.

On the other, not all that much

Certainly nothing compared to whatever the gently caress we did with pugs and French bulldogs.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I can totally imagine a show called Law & Order, presenting the audience with a God's Eye version of events, that is a total condemnation of police/justice system worship. Just have the show be a constant parade of officers shooting people for carrying toy pistols/cars/nothing, detectives railroading them, and politicians defending this. Like, don't even have a tragic "This is what the officer thought they saw and they're real sorry" clip to contrast with what really happened, just film shootings from the point of the cops while clearly showing that the person isn't a threat at all.

I mean, it'd be ACAB the show, but Law & Order would be a totally appropriate name. Whether you could get it made is another matter - it's one thing to have a show that says "people within the justice system can be corrupt", it's quite another to say "the justice system is corrupt".

I guess the closest thing to this is The Wire but even then some of the po-lice are occasionally portrayed as trying to do the right thing even if not a one of them are actually good people

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Bojo won't be VONCed tho

Why would the tories vote for that?

Some of them (like Grieve) will almost certainly lose their seats next time so have nothing to lose. It's unlikely to be enough though, especially with Hoey & friends cancelling them out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

feedmegin posted:

I have a feeling this is where the EU might extend again in that circumstance given how blatantly unconstitutional it would all be.

When did you go full brainwormed FBPE? The EU cannot extend without our acceptance.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

namesake posted:

election coverage rules apply to media

And terrible things will happen to rule-breakers, whatever their position in society. We've definitely seen that a lot lately.

I am afraid they might have learnt something from last time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not entirely sure cats have been domesticated, more that the house cat is just any other kind of cat but small enough that it can't kill you easily.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

That's the latest GDP figures out. Economy contracted 0.2% from April to June. Thisisfine.jpg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bug Squash posted:

That's the latest GDP figures out. Economy contracted 0.2% from April to June. Thisisfine.jpg

tories are good on the economy though

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Oh dear me posted:

And terrible things will happen to rule-breakers, whatever their position in society. We've definitely seen that a lot lately.

I am afraid they might have learnt something from last time.

yeah basically, we wont have been the only ones that noticed that once you start telling the truth corbyn gets more popular
or that nobody gets punished for anything

and this time around there is everything to play for

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bojo is pretty explicitly running a wrecker cabinet to shut out remainers; as craven as the tories are, there's at least some feeling in the air that this is the moment where tories can break ranks and not definitely be punished by the next tory cabinet purely on the basis of defying the leadership.

Probably still not worth much beyond a few MPs, but that's all we need right now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not entirely sure cats have been domesticated, more that the house cat is just any other kind of cat but small enough that it can't kill you easily.
Cats will talk to humans using different noises to how they talk to other cats, and I can't tell whether that's successful domestication or a type of social parasitism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Extremely definitely parasitism. And I say that as someone who likes cats.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

Don't you believe it, they just know that as long as you're their best source of food and scratches behind the ears it's in their interests to leave you alive. You might think you could easily overpower a cat, but remember that they're ambush predators and you have to sleep sometime...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A sleeping human is a bed to a cat.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There was some big new scientist article a few years back that basically argued that too - humans trained dogs, but cats just kinda acclimated to civilisation without much input from people. Apparently they only meow if humans are around?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They meow as kittens to attract their mothers but they retain it specifically to attract humans.

The relationship is more that of a fluffy remora than a dog's actual codependence.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the noises that they make to humans are a modulation of the noises they make as kittens and the noises they make to their own kittens, allegedly with some themes of human baby noises in there.

Whereas the noises that they make to other cats are either hellbeast sounds or the sounds that geese make when you get too close to them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jose posted:

tories are good on the economy though

If Jeremy Corbyn was in charge the economy would have contracted 2.0%!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also like geese, there's something agreeable about an animal that sidles up to you and hisses while sticking its tongue out to make you give it food.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There's a guy who lives near me who has a harness for his cat and takes it for walks on a lead. I'd like to see your so-called science explain THAT!

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

OwlFancier posted:

I also like geese, there's something agreeable about an animal that sidles up to you and hisses while sticking its tongue out to make you give it food.

Geese are the cops of birds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think seagulls are the cops of birds because they gang up and steal your poo poo while hiding behind government legislation.

Geese are more like normal bird criminals, they just hassle you on their own.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Buy Zimbabwe dollars, they're very stable in these troubled times.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

One of my cats has tried to eat me several times in my sleep, gnawing on my chin and my ears while purring like an engine.

EDIT:
And given my last post after this one, I gotta go back and edit to go point out this actually means he really, really likes me, not really trying to eat me.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 9, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

They meow as kittens to attract their mothers but they retain it specifically to attract humans.

The relationship is more that of a fluffy remora than a dog's actual codependence.

No this is just an uncharitable interpretation combined with old prejudices. It's been shown cats show genuine affection to their owners.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Eaten by cats would be my preferred method of final disposition, but the co-op refuses to even consider it.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Jared O'Mara: Who runs an absent MP's office? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-49281645

Well worth a read IMO, some concerning things raised as a result of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I did the adding up, and if Boris loses a November 1st GE he will have been Prime Minister for exactly 100 days - nearly all of them when Parliament was not sitting. That's way less than the current record for shortest time in office.