Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Do we even have a 890 Jump in our goon org or will we all be stuck having to play space basketball on the deck of our Kracken?

If so, I think we may need quite a few spare basketballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Will the Vandual have basketball courts in their ships too?

Can I have a half court in my tonk? ( You know it's big enough).

Can I have a horse polo ground (and stables) in my Endeavour?

Will the controls for doing a slam dunk be based on hover mode?

Can I slam dunk so hard it smashes the backboard, and the whole ship? (I think they have already coded this in).

At Grim Hex, will the hoop have chain instead of net to show that this is the baddies place?

Will we get basketball shoes designed by Sandi?

So many questions, I think they need a new show "Star Citizen Basketball Dreams"

Oh, Chris, Chris, I have an idea (how you can scum more money off your fans). In the character creator lock any height over 5ft 10 behind a paywall.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Oh god I somehow forgot about the tonk. Has there been anything more talked about it at all, or is it still just a jpg and dreams?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Erenthal posted:

Oh god I somehow forgot about the tonk. Has there been anything more talked about it at all, or is it still just a jpg and dreams?

What does your heart tell you?

I'm looking forward to issue council posts regarding basketball bugs.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, going over 445MPH in the year 2942 or whatever...christ, what a poo poo pile.

Of course, one can die of a heart attack running to your ship spawn so all seems in the lore.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dwesa posted:

It's a pseudoscientific nonsense that only tells how you want to perceive yourself so that you can associate your acronym with some famous people that never took MBTI. It's only used by HR people that don't know any better and as an internet quiz.

Yes, yes it is. And strangely corporates pump a lot of money into it.

https://personalysis.wiredtothrive.com/assessment/

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

LOL. Imagine the design meeting where component degradation was discussed.

Crobbers: "I want components to degrade because fidelity. I mean, sometimes things need changing on my Porsche."
Dev: "Err, OK boss. How often do things need changing on your Porsche?"
Crobbers: "Hmm. Every couple of years I guess?"
Dev: "OK we can do that for the ships in the game, no problemo. Might even be a neat little side game, sourcing comp-"
Crobbers: "Stop right there, bucko - I want components degrading after a couple of minutes if our citizens don't fly with due care and attention."
Anti-fun gremlin: "That's the spirit!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Listen son, after 5 uses the spa rooms and hot tub need to be serviced.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
In as spa technician. I hear the pipe laying mini-game is a dream.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Sillybones posted:

the pipe laying mini-game

:wiggle:

Actually, on that subject, I haven't seen any space horndogs asking about *ehem* intimacy mechanics and relationships in-game like I would expect from a bunch of internet weirdos. Aside from the inevitable consequence of piracy guy, are citizens interested in having that, or have they transferred their sexual attraction to their ships?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

CeeJee posted:

At least Uber is (forced by law) somewhat honest in saying none of what is in their press release will happen.

Yo "will" is on this list? That's just malicious. On Uber's side of course, I am so glad they have to put a statement like that in so people can basically throw every press release into the garbage.

Dynastocles posted:

Actually, on that subject, I haven't seen any space horndogs asking about *ehem* intimacy mechanics and relationships in-game like I would expect from a bunch of internet weirdos. Aside from the inevitable consequence of piracy guy, are citizens interested in having that, or have they transferred their sexual attraction to their ships?

I bet there was someone asking about prostitution in space ports. After all, people need to vent somewhere after a long day of carrying boxes, right? Might get some extra mileage out of the grabby hands if you know what I mean.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kikas posted:

I bet there was someone asking about prostitution in space ports. After all, people need to vent somewhere after a long day of carrying boxes, right? Might get some extra mileage out of the grabby hands if you know what I mean.

yacht captains must make sure to hire the right number of space hookers for the trip ahead. too many or too few will result in complaints! Be careful, sometimes your rich clientele will murder your space hookers and you have to hide it from the UEE... but don't worry, Origin's got your back! the 890 deluxe comes standard with smuggling compartments the UEE arn't legally allowed to check. Thanks, Space Parliament!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

"I don't want the space hotty to see the men without shirts because their physique is toned whereas my blubbery carcass makes whales sing."

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Good for him.

Why buy 6 (six) actual games when you could blow the same amount on a dog turd of a ship for a buggy crytek mod from 2012.

Because all good citizens know the vanguard is a very good ship that is definitely worth $250.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

A new episode of Inside Star Citizen is out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EG-0nzkzrE

Summary:

* NPC's are finished! Well. The concept art for some NPC's is finished. Actually it's the concept art for a rework of the shopkeeper NPC's that are already in the game. What, you wanted forward progress?
* Bartender and Waiters have more "Flair." Holy gently caress no human being living or dead has ever cared about the flair on a piece of concept art for wait staff in a spaceship video game.
* I bet you'd like to see some space chefs, wouldn't you? You wouldn't? gently caress you. It looks like every other chef's uniform.
* Chris Roberts watched some Star Wars movies and now he forgot that "Bounty Hunter" isn't just a generic thing you can do, and he has demanded "Bounty Hunter" NPC's that look like Boba Fett got mugged by Judge Dredd. Don't worry, we didn't actually produce any of this- it's just concept art.
* Cold weather gear for the player! Well. Concept art for cold weather gear for the player!
* In-game plants, or something? Don't worry there's no mechanics attached and we're showing them in a greybox state.
* New, uh, counters? I had the sound off here but it's just some panning shots of perfectly boring counters, tables, and surfaces. Holy poo poo they have nothing
* We've almost finished the interior art for an alien spaceship! Nonfunctional, of course.
* We're still working on the interior for a spaceship that was on the roadmap for release a month and a half ago! Nonfunctional, of course.
* Now you may ask, how does it not constitute lying if we had it on the roadmap while knowing we'd be working on it well after the release date? The answer is: look at this beautiful ship's galley! Remember those concept art NPC's we showed earlier? You are supposed to imagine them working in here, on your yacht. They won't actually be, and we aren't suggesting that they will be- you won't catch us on camera making that promise! But we just wanted to show you some NPC's you might see in a galley, and then later show you this galley, and let you do some free association.
* Pool table and arcade machine! Nonfunctional, of course.
* Airlock for the hangar! Both sides of airlock open immediately as player approaches. That part needs setting up, still. It will never be set up.
* (The scene literally transitions to a completely separate one when he walks through the doors at 6:55. You can see the spawned-in spaceships settling. Not making it up, they are completely bullshitting everything about the hangar working.)
* This ship has a loving spa deck. Nonfunctional, of course. The amazing luxury towels featured on last week's episode make an appearance!
* Don't worry, the nonfunctional jacuzzi has undergone a complete rework. He actually says this.
* There is no water in the jacuzzi on the spa deck. Of course.
* That's it. This ship costs 900 dollars and is years behind schedule and won't expand the gameplay meaningfully when it's released. Nothing works, it's just art. The end, no punchline.

Even though they make almost nothing except art, CIG still seems rather slow compared to that one guy who modeled much of the Enterprise-D in UE4 on his own. Of course, he had a sane design to work towards, which I guess is more than what the artists will ever get at CIG.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Erenthal posted:

Hasn't materialized despite a bunch of other ground vehicles showing up. My guess is that it doesn't seem properly heavy or something because of the fake "hover" mechanics they've used to build all the other vehicles.

Bofast posted:

Even though they make almost nothing except art, CIG still seems rather slow compared to that one guy who modeled much of the Enterprise-D in UE4 on his own. Of course, he had a sane design to work towards, which I guess is more than what the artists will ever get at CIG.

Chris is convinced that he's making great progress because his employees all work 70 hour weeks constantly refactoring the shirts on the NPC wait staff

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Good for him.

Why buy 6 (six) actual games when you could blow the same amount on a dog turd of a ship for a buggy crytek mod from 2012.

Because all good citizens know the vanguard is a very good ship that is definitely worth $250.

Shows how rear end backwards the citizens are:

6 completed and released games going through a disliked storefront = Scam.

1 incomplete, unusable asset with no gameplay and no accompanying game, being sold at the price equivilent of 6 actual games = Totally not a scam.

Honestly, this is "running face first at a concrete wall with eyes closed and arms held behind back" behaviour, and it's just so funny, I hope it never ends.

Long live this dumpster fire, may the citizens continue to throw money at it. :)

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

Will the Vandual have basketball courts in their ships too?

Can I have a half court in my tonk? ( You know it's big enough).

Can I have a horse polo ground (and stables) in my Endeavour?

Will the controls for doing a slam dunk be based on hover mode?

Can I slam dunk so hard it smashes the backboard, and the whole ship? (I think they have already coded this in).

At Grim Hex, will the hoop have chain instead of net to show that this is the baddies place?

Will we get basketball shoes designed by Sandi?

So many questions, I think they need a new show "Star Citizen Basketball Dreams"

Oh, Chris, Chris, I have an idea (how you can scum more money off your fans). In the character creator lock any height over 5ft 10 behind a paywall.

I don't think they have a height slider, seeing as how they seemingly had not even taken the height of female character models into account when they made all the seats and such.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Yeah I wasnt fully fair. Also, as opposed to Theranos or CIG, Uber at least has an actual real product. They have hyped up and sold many dreams about how profitable it will be though. And whales be whales.

I'm not sure Uber's product is anything more than a model for a business to skirt around existing employment law tbh. I could be wrong but it sure seems like that's the real disrupting force they bring to the industry.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Star Sitizen
:golfclap:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bofast posted:

I don't think they have a height slider, seeing as how they seemingly had not even taken the height of female character models into account when they made all the seats and such.

Once Chris is convinced that for each height option on the character creator there needs to be a whole new set of motion capture, he'll get on board pretty loving quick. In fact he'll add even more options. "Ratio of hip/knee/ankle is fully selectable! Fire up the mocap rigs!"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pilz posted:

I'm not sure Uber's product is anything more than a model for a business to skirt around existing employment law tbh. I could be wrong but it sure seems like that's the real disrupting force they bring to the industry.

You should go look up New York taxi badges and figure out why the mob usually got involved with them. You're completely right, however. Uber's entire business model was built around ignoring the taxi and private car business and pushing convenience.

As soon as everyone catches up with the disruption, the disruptor dies unless they shift business models. It's why Netflix moved to a net producer of content from a mere delivery network.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pilz posted:

Yeah, never suggested the product was any good, cost efficient or disrupting in any way. But it is an actual product.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

There's always more and it's always worse.

This SA thread has made me broke-brained.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Respect is a lot like moving the chair for your date so she can sit down

And throwing it into the parking lot HAHAHAH gently caress KHARTU-AL OF YOU!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*sounds of a limited-edition porsche racing away, crobbled*

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dynastocles posted:

Remember the guy who was confused why there were 2 wine glasses in his ship, but only one bunk, and was wondering if he was expected to share his wine with his hired pilot?

That should answer your question.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Remember the guy who was confused why there were 2 wine glasses in his ship, but only one bunk, and was wondering if he was expected to share his wine with his hired pilot?

That should answer your question.

Actually I do not, what was this social awkward fiasco?

Cripes, what a game.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Six actual games get me three months of play time.

A vanguard ship that isn't in the game yet gives me three years of dreams.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Me yesterday:

Sarsapariller posted:

* Now you may ask, how does it not constitute lying if we had it on the roadmap while knowing we'd be working on it well after the release date? The answer is: look at this beautiful ship's galley! Remember those concept art NPC's we showed earlier? You are supposed to imagine them working in here, on your yacht. They won't actually be, and we aren't suggesting that they will be- you won't catch us on camera making that promise! But we just wanted to show you some NPC's you might see in a galley, and then later show you this galley, and let you do some free association.

Citizens today:
Is the 890J going to be the test bed for NPC crews?

:reddit: posted:

Anyone else get the feeling that the 890 Jump is going to be a testbed for ship crews? The fact that they are teasing so much bartender and chef stuff, and then specifically showing off the galley in the 890 Jump, I feel like they are alluding to the fact that we will be seeing those NPCs in the ship. It would be pretty cool if the ship came with a bartender NPC to serve drinks. If that is the plan we would probably just see them exist as part of the ship since there are no crew hiring systems in place, but it would be a temporary solution.

They take the bait every. loving. time.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, going over 445MPH in the year 2942 or whatever...christ, what a poo poo pile.

Of course, one can die of a heart attack running to your ship spawn so all seems in the lore.

Out of curiosity I looked up some airplane speeds. The cruising speed of a 747-400 (introduced in 1988 by the way!) is well over 200 m/s.
Now I don't know how often parts are replaced are on a 747 but I'm imagining that 1000 years of progress would allow for some improvements to cruising speed and durability in atmospheric flight.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Yeah, never suggested the product was any good, cost efficient or disrupting in any way. But it is an actual product.

People seem to really like it and as Hav pointed out regular taxi companies can end up pretty lovely and corrupt. The fact that uber will actually get you from point A to point B in a reasonable amount of time places it miles ahead above Store Citizer, that's for sure. I just meant to emphasize what y'all were already pointing out, that similarities between Uber investor hype and Star Citizen dreamers aren't a good sign.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well, this game does make TSLA look good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fidelitious posted:

Out of curiosity I looked up some airplane speeds. The cruising speed of a 747-400 (introduced in 1988 by the way!) is well over 200 m/s.
Now I don't know how often parts are replaced are on a 747 but I'm imagining that 1000 years of progress would allow for some improvements to cruising speed and durability in atmospheric flight.

Well, planes do go through checklist after checklist to ensure functionality before every flight and regular-enough inspections to determine the safety of the plane, iirc.

That being said, the 747-400, at cruising speed, isn't exactly pulling the same speeds as the fighter aircraft of the world that are capable of Mach 1 speeds on the regular.

But yeah, 1000 years into the future we definitely haven't figured out how to create a new super metal that could allow space craft that can achieve flight in and out of atmosphere, and can perform "Quantum Jumps", survive numerous attacks from energy and kinetic weapons... gently caress it, you traveled from one continent to another on the same planet, time to pay 20,000 space bucks to fix the "wear and tear" on your ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Erenthal posted:

I think the German guy with the extremely German accent who was in charge of the tonk has already left CI!g so expect to hear nothing about it for a few years.