Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Infernal Machine is mostly a Tomb Raider rip off with some Lucasarts adventure game thrown in. It is a lot easier than the early TR games though, a lot of that being due to Indy not being as nimble as Lara so you're not expected to pull off as much crazy bullshit with tank controls. The fight difficulty does spike later on but you're almost to the end of the game by that point. Watching these two fail so badly at the easy as balls first level was just painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

He's not awful at all games. Like he's great at the Contra games and those can be hard as poo poo.

I think that's more of a case of extreme memorization from just playing it endlessly. I guess it technically can be considered being good at a game. But anything becomes relatively easy when you know exactly whats going to happen. It's the difference between having the reflexes/pattern recognition to respond to new things vs. having to die endlessly as you memorize things.

As an example a friend of mine in high school could wiz through Contra NES in 1 life. I never once saw him even beat the first stage of any other game and he was literally unable to play Goldeneye or any other multiplayer game without coming in dead last and raging out. Oh and he was crazy about Earthbound. He loved games with a passion though, totally obsessed with them. Went on to get sucked in to WoW, where he basically puttered around for 8 years and never did a single piece of endgame content.

That is a whole argument about what it means to actually be good at a game though. For sure early games, arcade games and even many later games are designed around the principle of memorization in place of some theoretical measure of skill. It seems less of a focus in later game generations though. My personal opinion is that as long as you are having fun, which James clearly is, it doesn't matter how you play a game.

It is, and always will be, hugely frustrating to watch someone futz around at something they clearly do not understand. Especially if they don't just own up and say they are bad and try to blame the game.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 7, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zushio posted:

My personal opinion is that as long as you are having fun, which James clearly is, it doesn't matter how you play a game.

It is, and always will be, hugely frustrating to watch someone futz around at something they clearly do not understand. Especially if they don't just own up and say they are bad and try to blame the game.
The one where they play Thunder Force (or whatev it was) felt excruciating since Mike was like "Oh ah ha wow that's a cool attack... oh wait that's one of my bombs I should save them huh :presses button 12 times in 2 seconds and wastes all the bombs:"

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Zushio posted:

James has always been awful at games, even the earliest AVGN videos its abundantly obvious that he has no real clue how to play anything and probably has never heard of an instruction manual. His reading comprehension and ability to intuit controls though experimentaion is either totally absent or an act to have more to complain about. Later content makes it abundantly clear that it is the former. Obviously I still enjoy the videos but put very little credit to anything he says regarding the topic.

The Clash at Demonhead video is seriously hard to watch because James will do things like repeatedly jump directly into an enemy over and over and eventually die and then absentmindedly ask "why did I just die??"

Maybe he needs new glasses.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The thing is, while he wasn't "great" at the early AVGN games, he beat a lot of them, and considering he was always doing it on an NES, it's impressive. I figured he was playing the character up more as less competent for stories, but he still had basic fundamental abilities to play, and the things he pointed out as flaws were usually pretty legit issues.

I think his NES campus challenge video really stood out to me, because he was bafflingly awful at SMB3. Like appallingly bad, and I'm fairly sure he must've played it enough times both as a kid and an adult. I myself hadn't played it in years, but level 1-1 is seared into my brain in terms of layout and how easy it is to navigate.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Interestingly, this is part of the reason why I find Speedruns that abuse a lot of glitching and warps boring.

A lot of them are fine for the most part and show of some cool stuff, but often there will be a part where the Runner is either forced to or chooses to employ the "casual" strategy aka playing the game. At this point it seems like no matter how many pixel perfect tricks or exploits they have memorized that they struggle with the actual gameplay and sometimes mention it being the hardest part of the whole run. Literally doing things in the most difficult or inefficient way possible because they just ignore half of the toolset at their disposal.

Really kills the whole thing for me. Thats why I stick to either LP or Glitchless Runs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zushio posted:

Interestingly, this is part of the reason why I find Speedruns that abuse a lot of glitching and warps boring.

A lot of them are fine for the most part and show of some cool stuff, but often there will be a part where the Runner is either forced to or chooses to employ the "casual" strategy aka playing the game. At this point it seems like no matter how many pixel perfect tricks or exploits they have memorized that they struggle with the actual gameplay and sometimes mention it being the hardest part of the whole run. Literally doing things in the most difficult or inefficient way possible because they just ignore half of the toolset at their disposal.

Really kills the whole thing for me. Thats why I stick to either LP or Glitchless Runs.

Yeah, Glitchless runs are my favourite, next to weird gimmick runs. I don't care if someone beats Mario 64 in 18 minutes because they jumped through some unintended hole in the stairs.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

iamsosmrt posted:

The thing is, while he wasn't "great" at the early AVGN games, he beat a lot of them, and considering he was always doing it on an NES, it's impressive. I figured he was playing the character up more as less competent for stories, but he still had basic fundamental abilities to play, and the things he pointed out as flaws were usually pretty legit issues.

He mentions in some video, that he does cheat to get further into games for his AVGN material.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

He played through Ghosts & Goblins but can't land properly in F Zero jumps, and I cringe whenever he makes a hard landing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

James’ skill in Contra transferred to Cuphead so his skills go beyond memorization. Action platformers are just his thing. Mike should have him play more Treasure games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

James would kill at Alien Soldier or Gunstar Heroes.

I'm shocked they haven't done a Monday episode on Blazing Chrome yet.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

He played through Ghosts & Goblins but can't land properly in F Zero jumps, and I cringe whenever he makes a hard landing.

And today is the day I learn about this. I've played F-Zero since it originally came out and never knew...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Waldo138 posted:

And today is the day I learn about this. I've played F-Zero since it originally came out and never knew...

uh, same, what the hell

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Just watched Mike & Tony play some of the joke that is the PlayStation port of Area 51.

What a horrible game that is, full of the worst sort of cheap bullshit (loving friendlies just jumping right up in your face). Imagine seeing that next to a Time Crisis cabinet back in 1995, or god forbid it was placed anywhere near a large flatscreen version of The House Of The Dead a year later.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I like how this thread is now like youtube comments proclaiming how easy the game is and how they beat <game> blindfolded at 8 years old with their sister punching them in the back of the head.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

track day bro! posted:

I like how this thread is now like youtube comments proclaiming how easy the game is and how they beat <game> blindfolded at 8 years old with their sister punching them in the back of the head.

Fine with me.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Man I thought everyone knew about the proper way to land in F Zero I guess

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Just watched Mike & Tony play some of the joke that is the PlayStation port of Area 51.

What a horrible game that is, full of the worst sort of cheap bullshit (loving friendlies just jumping right up in your face). Imagine seeing that next to a Time Crisis cabinet back in 1995, or god forbid it was placed anywhere near a large flatscreen version of The House Of The Dead a year later.

I used to love Area 51 in the arcade. There was a lot of fun hidden stuff. Ignoring the aliens at the start of the game, and shooting the first human a few times gets you a Predator vision mode.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Waldo138 posted:

I never knew until it was mentioned here either. I should have read the manual as a kid.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Open Marriage Night posted:

I used to love Area 51 in the arcade. There was a lot of fun hidden stuff. Ignoring the aliens at the start of the game, and shooting the first human a few times gets you a Predator vision mode.

Yeah, I saw that a couple of times at a bowling alley of all places. Pretty inventive easter egg, but the game was a bit poo poo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b80V09f3Kok&t=95s this is maybe my favorite Board James, and I love Bootsy's delivery of this line

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

James and Mike playing Mario Maker for the first time is some wholesome poo poo.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

I love Bootsy

Please come back, Bootsy. :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No money in the budget for him, just for all of Ryan's friends no one likes.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

just for all of Ryan's friends no one likes.

Who? Are these the rental review guys you're referencing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

iamsosmrt posted:

Who? Are these the rental review guys you're referencing?

Yeah. I might have Ryan's name wrong. He's Mike Matei's fat friend who does videos with just him. I'm pretty sure he somehow has some level of ownership over the channel and all those random guys are his guys

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yeah. I might have Ryan's name wrong. He's Mike Matei's fat friend who does videos with just him. I'm pretty sure he somehow has some level of ownership over the channel and all those random guys are his guys

Cinemassacre is turning into Channel Awesome! :gonk:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Oh that's helpful. I don't remember the last time I've seen Ryan in a video, but I had no idea where all those other guys came from. They just seemed to spring up at some point like maggots in a trashheap. I had no idea they came through Ryan, as he seems like a tier of humanity below the rest of the crew.

I actually really didn't like them at first, especially Tony(?) the guy with the dark hair and neckbeard as they can be pretty drat obnoxious. However, they've slowly endeared themselves to me over time to the point where I don't mind watching the reviews occasionally, especially if it's a movie I'm interested in hearing about.

Were these guys Channel Awesome castoffs?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

Were these guys Channel Awesome castoffs?

I don't think these guys were anything, but seeing that one, non-creative type on the team bring it all to ruin sounds dangerously close to what happened at CA.

Well, outside of the grooming thing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

A quick IMDB search for Cinemassacre Video and a quick peek at their IMDB pages shows them all working on low-budget films in some capacity, so its possible that they just met and found they had common interests/work experience and decided to make the videos that way. At least they help out by doing the actual ad portions?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I will say for the random guys while they are uninteresting they don't seem to be assholes or anything

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Channel Awesome had that JewWario guy rape someone, and quietly fired him. That's quite a bit worse than the worst of Mike's lovely dumbadd antics.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also don't think James would let anyone on his channel call themselves "JewWario."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, it'd have to be ShitWaluigi or Princess Turdnugget. The man has standards.

Those reviews are pretty much unwatchable for me since they just kind of meander and talk over each other.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like the Rental Reviews. They're more free form, but they beat RLM's ultra cynical reviews. They're less reviews and just people gushing about the movies that they're nostalgic for anyway.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I don't actively watch the reviews, but they're things in the background. Mostly it's a reminder of movies I haven't thought of in awhile and often times leads me to look up something more interesting info on those films or actors involved.

Ryan's the only one who I find creepy on a level where I'm pretty sure he's got some weird skeletons in his closet and I tend to want to stop the video if he's heavily featured.

Though as a whole, these guys aren't aging very gracefully and should probably look into makeup, lighting or video filters or something. They sometimes remind me of those reporters in the first Burton Batman movie after discovering the Joker tainted chemicals in their toiletries.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm glad Ryan seems to have disappeared. He seems like he was Mike's crony and must have got tired of him.

You don't see Mike in much of the Rental Reviews either. I get the feeling he's way more into video games than movies.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Channel Awesome had that JewWario guy rape someone, and quietly fired him.

Is this the guy that killed himself? I hadn't heard about anything else that happened with him. If that's true, :stare:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

You guys caused me to look up recent channel awesome content. I can't tell if Doug is much more obnoxious than before or if it's me not seeing him in action for a long while. He seems like he's on some crazy drugs though. The whole thing seems like a really sad shadow of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is this the guy that killed himself? I hadn't heard about anything else that happened with him. If that's true, :stare:

Yeah, that all came out long after JW had killed himself.