Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Batman has a long long history of having crazy things pop into existence exactly when he needs them to get out of a very very specific predicament, at which point he reveals that he foresaw this exact problem and planned ahead for it. Batman 1966 is the obvious example ("Robin! Pass me down that shark repellent!") but he did it in the comics a whole bunch too.

Batman 66 was basically a straight faced adaptation of Silver Age Batman. If anything, less wacky. People forget that Adam West's whole thing was being entirely serious about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Batman 66 was basically a straight faced adaptation of Silver Age Batman. If anything, less wacky. People forget that Adam West's whole thing was being entirely serious about everything.

West was completely serious but the show itself was in on the joke, that's why it worked.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of Joker, both the Toronto and Venice film festival people seems to think the new Joker movie is a great work of cinema that hasn't been done before for comic book movies and is a strong Oscar contender.

was that leak from some time back accurate as to the contents of the movie? I remember thinking it sounded terrible

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CityMidnightJunky posted:

West was completely serious but the show itself was in on the joke, that's why it worked.

I mean, he was in on the joke, too. There's an interview where he said he was immediately drawn to the script for the pilot because of how funny it was. He just, correctly, realized that it worked so well if he played it completely straight.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This is a controversial opinion, but I always thought Burt Ward was the funnier of the duo. West got all the good lines, but Ward's delivery was always hilarious.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Tbf one of the Jokers goons does suspect he'll be killed, and holds his (disguised) boss at gunpoint at the end of the heist.

- "I bet the Joker told you to kill me as soon as we loaded the cash"

- "No nonono, I kill the bus driver"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pospysyl posted:

This is a controversial opinion, but I always thought Burt Ward was the funnier of the duo. West got all the good lines, but Ward's delivery was always hilarious.
Bats is the straight man, so that's why Ward's weird exclamations land so well.

"Golly Batman, what a Whopper!"
'Now now, Chum, there's no need for hysterics. When in the presence of the ... fairer.... sex .... it behooves you to act like a proper gentleman"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Bats is the straight man, so that's why Ward's weird exclamations land so well.

"Golly Batman, what a Whopper!"
'Now now, Chum, there's no need for hysterics. When in the presence of the ... fairer.... sex .... it behooves you to act like a proper gentleman"

Going by rumors, Ward was the one with the whopper

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember a bit in 89 Batman no one else seems to where during a party at Wayne Manor, Vicki Vale and some other partygoers break into a locked up part of the mansion that's full of weapons and armour displays, much to everyone's surprise. One guy even goes "Living room, dining room, arsenal!"

You mean when Vicki and Arli$$ sneak off to investigate the reclusive billionaire's castle, and it turns out the door to the armory is unlocked? And Bruce just follows them quietly as Arli$$ cracks wise at his collection of armors, then speaks up when he makes fun of the samurai outfit, Arli$$ is like "oh, and how do you know?" and he just goes "well, I bought it. Hi. Bruce Wayne." And Arli$$ makes a crack about getting a grant from him, and after the duo leave, Bruce tells Alfred to get the guy a grant because, why the gently caress not

That movie's a lot of fun with tucking weird Bruce Wayne poo poo into the corners of what is ostensibly a normal, quiet, if charming guy until the Joker appears and Bruce's entire sense of self starts collapsing in on itself and it just builds until "you wanna get nuts, LET'S GET NUTS". Also the level of actual technical filmmaking on display makes almost every single blockbuster these days look like absolute poo poo that would have been direct-to-video back then. It feels like a movie, not an episode of something.

It's also crazy in retrospect because like, Joker and Batman do not come face to face until the museum, which is like, well over an hour into the film. Yeah, Batman faces down Jack Napier, but that doesn't count because he's not the maniac he is after he falls into the vat at that point, he's just a high-level flunkie to Jack Palance who's loving Palance's girl and plotting to take over from the old man eventually.

McCloud posted:

Going by rumors, Ward was the one with the whopper

Rumors? Those shorts didn't hide anything, it's more "television-supported factoid: Burt Ward got a Big Hog"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat. I won advanced tickets to The Dark Knight and got to see it a day early. I then went to sleep, woke up, and lined up at the movie theater to see it on actual release night. There were other people waiting in line and they had their Nintendo DSes with them so I popped into pictochat and spoiled the movie for them. I don't feel too good about that now.

some men just want to watch the world burn

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lobok posted:

I think even if you go through the scenario where the bus driver notices the Joker bus pulling out of a bank in front of him and immediately jumps to the conclusion that there are bank robbers inside the bus and action must be taken there's still plenty of time and opportunity for the Joker to get away.

The buses in the financial district isn’t unrealistic, either, they’re probably taking kids to a museum or some poo poo for a field trip. Which makes them even more anonymous

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I loved Interstellar in theaters, and was emotionally engaged throughout the tesseract sequence and the ending. The part with Damon felt off, a mix of the surprise cameo pulling me out of the movie and his "oh ho ho I'm evil now, goodbyyyye" turn feeling rushed. Though there wasn't much time to process it given how quickly it segued into the outstanding No, It's Necessary scene.

I'm due for a rewatch, and as pointed out upthread, I likely did not consider the time dilation aspect and how fractured his psyche must have become after his journey.

As for TDK, the bus pulling out and merging without issue was reasonable enough, but what about the bus driving backwards with enough speed to jump the curb and plow through the bank entrance in the first place? I wasn't expecting a civilian to try and interfere, but it struck me as odd that there wasn't a group of onlookers gawking at the scene as the bus departed.

Fichtner's "you and your friends are DEEEAAAD" is fantastic, perhaps my favorite line/delivery from Nolan's entire trilogy. What an engaging presence, regardless of the movie's quality. See the first 80~ seconds of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZNLNkxgIg

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I will also always appreciate that in Interstellar the real monster was Mann

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For a long time I thought Fichtner was blind because of Contact.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember a bit in 89 Batman no one else seems to where during a party at Wayne Manor, Vicki Vale and some other partygoers break into a locked up part of the mansion that's full of weapons and armour displays, much to everyone's surprise. One guy even goes "Living room, dining room, arsenal!"

I was baffled that two reporters didn't know what Bruce Wayne looked like (Vale had an excuse, she was out of country, but Arli$$ had to know what he looked like)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I mean, Arli$$ ain’t exactly playing him as smart or good at his job (even though it turns out he’s right about there being a bat man attacking the criminal underworld!) and being stuck on a poo poo beat (Vicki’s the one with the invitations to the party and he just tags along), so it kind of works that he has zero clue which rich guy at the party is Bruce?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Davros1 posted:

I was baffled that two reporters didn't know what Bruce Wayne looked like (Vale had an excuse, she was out of country, but Arli$$ had to know what he looked like)

Hell, Knox doesn’t even seem to know that Wayne’s parents are dead if memory serves. The whole movie plays extremely loose with the Bat-canon, but I don’t really mind because it’s so fun and weird on its own two feet.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Bruce Wayne also isn't a celebrity in Batman '89. I guess he is still a playboy because all millionaires are, but he's not Paris Hilton like Nolan's Wayne was.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, '89 Wayne seems very reclusive and not at all a public persona. He's connected, obviously, given that he hosts the fundraiser for the bicentennial, but he's definitely not out there like Nolan's Wayne or even Schumacher's.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a fair few ways you can go with Bruce Wayne. Reclusive eccentric billionaire is as valid as any, though Begins has Alfred point out that if he keeps that up they'll figure out he must be Batman within a week.

BTAS did it interestingly given the playboy Bruce Wayne isn't actually entirely an act, he does genuinely enjoy himself at social occasions and date women (even dating Lois Lane before she figures out his identity. Yes, they in-character make the joke about the irony with him and Superman) to the point where he starts questioning how he can keep it all up. (And meaningfully, the intro of Batman Beyond has an ageing Batman suffer a heart attack while rescuing the grown-up daughter of the socialite who was his on-off love interest; everyone else has moved on while he was never able to)

MCU Tony Stark seems like taking the opposite tack, with the party animal socialite billionaire who ends up becoming a superhero and struggles with responsibilities.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Tart Kitty posted:

Hell, Knox doesn’t even seem to know that Wayne’s parents are dead if memory serves. The whole movie plays extremely loose with the Bat-canon, but I don’t really mind because it’s so fun and weird on its own two feet.

Hell, why would Robert Wuhl care about Bruce Wayne's parents? They don't make potato salad, and if you think he cares about anything other than potato salad, then you don't know Robert Wuhl.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They did have a new52 joke about Hal Jordan having no idea who Bruce Wayne is.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Matt Damon was my favorite part of interstellar tbh
Funny poo poo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a fair few ways you can go with Bruce Wayne. Reclusive eccentric billionaire is as valid as any, though Begins has Alfred point out that if he keeps that up they'll figure out he must be Batman within a week.

BTAS did it interestingly given the playboy Bruce Wayne isn't actually entirely an act, he does genuinely enjoy himself at social occasions and date women (even dating Lois Lane before she figures out his identity. Yes, they in-character make the joke about the irony with him and Superman) to the point where he starts questioning how he can keep it all up. (And meaningfully, the intro of Batman Beyond has an ageing Batman suffer a heart attack while rescuing the grown-up daughter of the socialite who was his on-off love interest; everyone else has moved on while he was never able to)

The other way I love them getting around this is the times where Bruce Wayne dresses as Superman or Clark Kent dresses as Batman so both the superhero and its respective actual person can be in a photo together/seen by suspicious people publicly.

I forget which comic but the best use of this was when for whatever reasons Superman+Lois Lane+Batman+Catwoman were going to some event or something where you had to be in costume to be admitted so they all wore each other's outfits because otherwise people would immediately recognize them as them and not "some guy that looks like Bruce Wayne is dressed as Superman+some guy that looks like Clark Kent's chin dressed as Batman" :lol:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 12, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stories where the two heroes swap costumes for a bit to fool the bad guy are always great if a little cliche and I'm really surprised they haven't done that in a marvel movie yet. Closest I can think of is when Black Widow used the mask to pose as the council member in Winter Soldier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There was also a bit in the BTAS comics and possibly adapted to the show where Bruce Wayne is out of commission and Superman fills in for him. The reaction from Gotham's crooks is indeed priceless.

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget which comic but the best use of this was when for whatever reasons Superman+Lois Lane+Batman+Catwoman were going to some event or something where you had to be in costume to be admitted so they all wore each other's outfits because otherwise people would immediately recognize them as them and not "some guy that looks like Bruce Wayne is dressed as Superman+some guy that looks like Clark Kent's chin dressed as Batman" :lol:

Reminds me of the comic mentioned recently where those four go out to the carnival and Lois and Selina discuss their respective men while getting plastered. They actually get along surprisingly well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was also a bit in the BTAS comics and possibly adapted to the show where Bruce Wayne is out of commission and Superman fills in for him. The reaction from Gotham's crooks is indeed priceless.

That was the best, because Clark was really trying his best to be Batman, until the villains finally pissed him off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsz1p7R5CQA

There was an ep of the live action Spider-Man show where Peter was hired to do photography at a costume ball, and while Aunt May had made him a swashbuckler's outfit, he accidentally ripped it. In his desperation, he ended up going in his Spider-Man costume, only to discover he wasn't the only person dressed a Spider-Man there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Batman 66 had a crossover with Green Hornet where they were each ID'd as the others' alter-ego ("I think the Hornet is Bruce Wayne") and had to do some shenanigans at the end to fix it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Stories where the two heroes swap costumes for a bit to fool the bad guy are always great if a little cliche and I'm really surprised they haven't done that in a marvel movie yet. Closest I can think of is when Black Widow used the mask to pose as the council member in Winter Soldier.

There was that cancelled Infinity War sequence where Bruce wearing the Hulkbuster armor was going to Hulk out in it that was planned for so long they made toys based on it, who knows why that got canned because it would've been a lot more fun and interesting than what they went with.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Looking forward to watching Endgame again tonight but this time with beers and piss breaks.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On the season premiere of Succession, there was a scene with Brian Cox and Danny Huston together, and I kept wondering why it seemed odd to see them together, and then I realized they were both Stryker.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Davros1 posted:

That was the best, because Clark was really trying his best to be Batman, until the villains finally pissed him off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsz1p7R5CQA

Ahaha this owns. I love how even afterwards Superman is still clearly holding back but then using his speed to be like Jason and just pop up in front of folks running away from him. Strong kayfabe attempt. :3:

I remember the early Spider-Man story where Dr. Octopus unmasks Peter Parker in front of a crowd. Spider-Man 2 played with that in a cool way but in the original he keeps his secret identity intact because everyone assumes it's some prank or trickery because no way in hell a dork like Peter Parker could be Spider-Man.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

We all know the best instance of this ever though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nFq4n_8RoM

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm really partial of the episode of JLU where Flash and Luthor's brains get swapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfBhIM5tb4

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Art.

https://twitter.com/KeatonPatti/status/1161284670601990146?s=19

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

And they say machines can't make art. I lost my poo poo at Two Face, he's a man but an attorney. loving :laffo:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Should I tell them?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Dexo posted:

Should I tell them?

Just let me believe :negative:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Dexo posted:

Should I tell them?

Look man, I don't care if that was written by a bot, a sentient AI or a thousand doped up monkeys on typewriters, it's art and it belongs in the Smithsonian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The expired parents coupon killed me.