Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

disjoe posted:

You can opt out of the HD fee and get a regular box, you might even still get the HD channels.

We got cable with Comcast because it was cheaper to bundle with internet. When we went to the Comcast store to pick up the cable box I told him we didn’t want the HD box and to take the HD fee off. They removed the fee but they didn’t have any non-HD boxes so they just gave us the HD one.

I'm not sure Spectrum is available where this person is but you don't even need a box to watch in HD. Just use their app on Xbox, Roku, yada yada, and watch in HD for free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Spectrum also offers a streaming-only plan, I don't think it gets brought up very often when talking about TV providers

https://watch.spectrum.net/streamPlus/welcome

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

FCKGW posted:

Spectrum also offers a streaming-only plan, I don't think it gets brought up very often when talking about TV providers

https://watch.spectrum.net/streamPlus/welcome

I wish Mediacom did this. If I want local channels only, I have to get a cable box and it is $35 a month. If they had a $15 streaming plan, I would do it pretty quickly.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
That doesn't look like a great deal IMHO, I didn't click the link till now, I thought it was the choose 10 channels for $30 or whatever they used to do, that included the option to pick ESPN afair. I don't have cable from Spectrum, I pay $65 a month for 100/10 internet, but if I bundled I could get basic cable for $90 total a month I think.

e; if you can get that anywhere with any internet it might not be a bad option for those who don't need ESPN, I was speaking from my place of being able to get a full cable package for the same price.

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 29, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

That doesn't look like a great deal IMHO, I didn't click the link till now, I thought it was the choose 10 channels for $30 or whatever they used to do, that included the option to pick ESPN afair. I don't have cable from Spectrum, I pay $65 a month for 100/10 internet, but if I bundled I could get basic cable for $90 total a month I think.

e; if you can get that anywhere with any internet it might not be a bad option for those who don't need ESPN, I was speaking from my place of being able to get a full cable package for the same price.

I'm not sure what you mean it looks like a pretty good deal for 24.99. Its one of the few streaming options that offer TLC (I know) for that low of a price. Youtube TV is 49.99 a month and for sure IMO isn't $25 better vs spectrum.

EDIT: ah ok I see what you mean yeah espn is an extra 12 but includes a few other things.

EDIT: TBF though the add-on for $15 that includes HBO , SHO, Starz, Starz encore , The movie channel is a good deal.

$40 for both IMO is a good deal and gets you quite a bit of premium content.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 1, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like my simple spectrum plan it includes locals. Spectrum gets and deserves a lot of shot but they seem to have done well with this plan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Why would anyone actually pay for local channels when antennas exist?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Why would anyone actually pay for local channels when antennas exist?

Because a lot of people don't live where they have good un-occluded LoS to the broadcast towers.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I get with antennas are PBS

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’m in LA and I definitely don’t get all the local channels with an antenna.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not sure what you mean it looks like a pretty good deal for 24.99. Its one of the few streaming options that offer TLC (I know) for that low of a price. Youtube TV is 49.99 a month and for sure IMO isn't $25 better vs spectrum.

EDIT: ah ok I see what you mean yeah espn is an extra 12 but includes a few other things.

EDIT: TBF though the add-on for $15 that includes HBO , SHO, Starz, Starz encore , The movie channel is a good deal.

$40 for both IMO is a good deal and gets you quite a bit of premium content.

I mean you need internet to run Youtube TV, or any other internet cable package. I was just saying if you are a Spectrum subscriber you can get a full package for the same price as this bundle.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

I mean you need internet to run Youtube TV, or any other internet cable package. I was just saying if you are a Spectrum subscriber you can get a full package for the same price as this bundle.

You can? My math must have been off because it seemed like you could but they’d jack the rate up after the intro period?

I could be completely wrong (probably am) but it seems like the 39.99 is a good deal when you take into account the premium channels.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

You can? My math must have been off because it seemed like you could but they’d jack the rate up after the intro period?

I could be completely wrong (probably am) but it seems like the 39.99 is a good deal when you take into account the premium channels.

It sure does look great, but if I recall correctly Spectrum fucks with the licensing with a lot of channels where you sometimes can't even watch it outside the main delivery method. I know my dad had issues using the SyFy app with them.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

Just for me, I pay $65 for Spectrum Internet, they have a deal where you bundle cable and internet for $90, at least in Cleveland. The premium movie package for $15 looks really good though, all of them for the cost of HBO alone, can't go wrong there.

e; if they have an intro period it is at least a year, maybe 2, haven't looked at my junk mail in awhile

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

YouTube is officially back on Fire TV devices starting today.
Additionally, Amazon’s Prime Video streaming is also launching today with support for Chromecast and more widespread Android TV devices.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/9/20686773/youtube-fire-tv-prime-video-chromecast-amazon-google-launch-today-available

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bought in on the $129 Fire TV Recast deal, it arrived this afternoon. Quick review so far:

The good: Stupid easy five minute setup. Channel scan was 10x faster than I've ever seen before. I did need to reboot my Fire TV devices before they'd "see" the Recast. It's nice that I can leave the box down in my basement all wired up, rather than having it sit on the TV shelf. The live TV experience is slick and works well, and picture quality seems good. Currently watching the All Star Game clear as a bell.

The bad: the mobile app is crap (did you expect less from an Amazon app) and it lets you do two things: watch live TV and watch recordings. There's no grid guide on the app and you can't schedule future recordings from it. Did a friend tell you about a show and you wanted to get it on the docket for the DVR on the spot, before you forgot about it? Tough luck, write it down and do it at home.

It also looks like while you can stream using the phone app, if you take your Fire TV out of the home network, it can't stream off the Recast. I was hoping that I could have taken a Fire Stick out with me while traveling and been able to watch my recordings back at home, but from my quick test (tethering the Fire Stick to my phone) it doesn't seem like that works. I'm not too bummed by that, was really just something I was trying out for giggles. I can't get my locals via DirecTV Now when traveling, so I thought that might've been a way around it.

Long story short, if you don't care about the phone app and remote scheduling, it's great. If that's something that matters to you, maybe sit on it till they fix the app.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 10, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Remote recording is a patent I believe - Comcast used to have it built into their apps then it silently disappeared, because they didn’t want to pay for the license. I expect it’s the same here. TV grids are also patented, so same on that (it’s why you sometimes get software that tries to do something alternative to a grid, and it’s pretty much always awful).

So yay, once again patents once again being a pain in the rear end for the end user.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Remote recording is a patent I believe - Comcast used to have it built into their apps then it silently disappeared, because they didn’t want to pay for the license. I expect it’s the same here. TV grids are also patented, so same on that (it’s why you sometimes get software that tries to do something alternative to a grid, and it’s pretty much always awful).

So yay, once again patents once again being a pain in the rear end for the end user.

The TV Grid is no longer a thing as of a couple years ago IIRC. I can't remember if it was part of a lawsuit settlement or if it simply expired, but anyone can use a grid with channels aligned vertically and time on the horizontal for a programming grid these days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s good to hear. I thought Plex implemented it at last due to finally digging in their pockets, just turns out they were lazy before!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Besides the Fire TV Recast, the other fee-free OTA DVR is the Sling AirTV. With a rumored revised (slightly smaller, basically) AirTV 2 on the way, refurb original AirTVs are being cleared out on Woot:

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/airtv-dual-tuner-local-channel-streamer

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Iirc TiVo beat Comcast in court over remote dvr scheduling.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The wife and I finally decided to cancel our Cablevision/Altice service. We realized we watch nearly all of our shows and movies nowadays via streaming services or direct downloads, and we only turn on actual cable when we're just looking for background noise or we're bored. It's definitely not worth the money we're paying for everything!

Now I just need to pick a new service provider. Are there sites I can browse that let me plug in an address and find providers in the area?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They are renaming DirecTV Now to AT&T TV Now which has to be the worst name for anything ever. I think it needs a few more T's.

ATTTVN.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There already is an AT&T Watch TV, are they merging them or deprecating one?

Edit: The Verge tried to figure it out, still confusing

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/30/20747190/directv-now-rebrand-att-tv-streaming-app

Rastor fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 30, 2019

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
2000s: We finally figured out how to put stuff on the internet and find it. This is going to be great:
2010s: gently caress you, we're going to name everything the same. Or add an 's' or 'II' to it.
2020s: All nouns are now thing and stuff. Enjoy your AT&T thing on your 4g stuff.

Enjoy your AT&T Watch TV Now 4G 5G+ Ultra which is a completely different service than DrictTV Watch TV Now SAT+ Ultra 4G

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One week in, I'm really happy with YoutubeTV. I'm only paying for 1/3rd of it, and thus far it's been pretty great. At $50/mo I'd probably just get regular cable but at $17/mo it's a great value.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

AT&T should have gone with AT&T&TV.

I read that Youtube TV got PBS which sounds cool. My sub is currently on pause for the summer. Getting close to reup time for hockey and football season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

NFL has a service called GamePass in both the US and the rest of the world. They both run under the same domain name, but offer you completely different services depending on where you access from. This confusing mess could definitely have been avoided if they didn’t decide to rename the more accurate ‘Game Rewind’ service to the already existing GamePass, but I guess a room full of marketing people won over common sense.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So we ended up sticking with Optimum since the only other provider is Verizon DSL. The closest Fios hookup is literally half a mile down the road. :argh:

I just got my new router and wireless AP in yesterday. Need to configure those and then I'll be ready to drop the TV service and get rid of the crappy Altice One boxes.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Any thoughts on a good indoor antenna in the ~$50 range? I just started researching this stuff today hah, so I'm learning. It looks like nearly all of the channels in the area are UHF. This is for a friend who doesn't watch a whole lot of TV, but would like to be able to see the major networks etc. If I'm reading the map correctly, the channels she most cares about are coming from the SE which is good because she has a couple windows facing that direction for mounting.

Was considering between these two from my limited research:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZD5MUM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSMK580/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 5, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
That's the easiest one in a while. I was about to suggest the mohu leaf.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Not sure when it happened, but they've added a few Actual Music Video channels now too: "MTV Spankin' New," "MTV Yo!" and "MTV Biggest Pop."

I dig it! I know there's YouTube, but something about music videos in a live feed format has always appealed to me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Minidust posted:

Not sure when it happened, but they've added a few Actual Music Video channels now too: "MTV Spankin' New," "MTV Yo!" and "MTV Biggest Pop."

I dig it! I know there's YouTube, but something about music videos in a live feed format has always appealed to me.

Finally. I don't know why they didn't do this from the beginning of their Pluto acquisition.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting from the AppleTV thread.

I don't know if there are any others using it but the Channels app for Apple, Android, and Fire TV just added TV Everywhere support.

Now, if you have a friend or family member's cable login info, you can use the app to "tune" into their live feeds from within the Channels app and you can also record said streams (access to their DVR software and TV Everywhere support is included within their Channels Plus subscription service).

Provides a guide view and everything as if it was a cable box.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thwomp posted:

Cross posting from the AppleTV thread.

I don't know if there are any others using it but the Channels app for Apple, Android, and Fire TV just added TV Everywhere support.

Now, if you have a friend or family member's cable login info, you can use the app to "tune" into their live feeds from within the Channels app and you can also record said streams (access to their DVR software and TV Everywhere support is included within their Channels Plus subscription service).

Provides a guide view and everything as if it was a cable box.

That's pretty cool. I already use Channels with a Cable Card in an HDHomeRun Prime, but I plan on cancelling it after college football season. I'll have to test it with my brother's account.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

How does this perform compared to say Plex? Right now I share my cable package with my parents and their experience seems to be hit or miss

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hey y'all. I've done some research and realized I can save $40 a month with triple the internet speed by switching to Hulu with Live TV instead of my cable package. I have a few questions first though.

1) My main media player is an Xbox One X. My TV is an LG OLED55E8PUA. Are there any universal remotes that can control both? Is there a particular recommended one?

2) I have an active HBO Now subscription, standalone. I see Hulu offers HBO as an add-on. Is there any way I can link my current HBO subscription to a Hulu subscription, or do I have to wait until the HBO runs out and then re-subscribe to it as a Hulu add-on?

3) I don't account share, nothing illegal, but I do sign into my streaming profiles when I go over the houses of friends who don't have those services, and Hulu has some good stuff on it I'm sure we'll want to watch eventually. But of course, Hulu with Live TV requires an assigned home address. What happens if I sign into that account away from the home address, on another person's console or smart TV? Will I get banned?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I may be wrong here about the Hulu home address thing... but you just need to sign in from your home location once a month to be able to stream at other locations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I may be wrong here about the Hulu home address thing... but you just need to sign in from your home location once a month to be able to stream at other locations.

Excellent news, I was really worried I’d run afoul of their TOS or something. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I use the Harmony Companion for my entertainment center needs. It integrates well with the multimedia features of the xbox one and I have yet to have complaints. Your TV should almost certainly be compatible.

As for tying your HBO now sub into Hulu, that's not gonna happen. You'll need to cancel the one and sub into it on Hulu. At least you'll be able to get your free week again.