Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's too hot out to do a proper poll
This poll is closed.
Yesterday you said you'd call Sears 27 9.57%
I'll call tomorrow 11 3.90%
You'll call now 12 4.26%
I'll Call Now 19 6.74%
Another Scorcher 72 25.53%
Cool 34 12.06%
What the hell is this crap? I'm just here for Bowsette 107 37.94%
Total: 282 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

help!! trying to remember the name of a game that came out recently. it was like persona but the high school classes were all about war and you would have to do a little advance wars-style mini game in between s-links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it's called "the bus that couldn't slow down"

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Phantasium posted:

Comix Zone has always sucked and it gives me new life every time another person finds this out and makes up for the unwarranted praise I used to hear it get all the time.

I'd say it's like the Kirby's Adventure of the Sega Genesis, a game that surprises folks with how good a game can look and sound on aging hardware, pushing limits like no other, except that Kirby's Adventure is a masterpiece of a game, where as Comix Zone is, uh, not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

axelblaze posted:

If someone reminds me, I'll put it in the OP next month

Anyways, if it weird that I think my current most anticipated game of the year is River City Girls?

It seems strange for JT and Yung Miami to be branching out into video games but I'm all for it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

help!! trying to remember the name of a game that came out recently. it was like persona but the high school classes were all about war and you would have to do a little advance wars-style mini game in between s-links

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

why would you post this when i just got to work and will probably forget before getting home :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

yes!! thank you

Visti
Apr 26, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

comix zone:

a tryhard game that really goes for it in 1995, the transitional year between console generations... BUT..... BUT... but

Okay so.. the aesthetic is fully realized, the palette is intentionally restricted and it is very good for its time, the effects on the water, the engine framerate, it all generally holds together well. the combat is TECHNICALLY fast and fluid, and the game isn't too long, only 4 chapters, so it THEORETICALLY shouldn't wear out its welcome. BUT... but

the actual gameplay is extremely shallow and kind of bullshit at times. a lot of rooms are just a couple of encounters with one or two enemies where you just wail on them whether they're blocking or not until eventually they die. you get items sometimes that you can use to take out enemies faster, but some rooms REQUIRE items to get through (like your rat pal for example) so if you don't have them you'll end up in a really dire position. in chapter 3, there's a well you go down where you kick wall enemies like Battletoads, and then there's just a giant bear trap at the bottom that takes off a big chunk of health, unless you managed to save a dynamite pickup going into the room that you can drop under you. just one example

the combat is not good enough to hold up over an entire game. unlike most of sega's brawlers, there is no walkspace, it is a purely 2D plane, and just.. the rooms are so small, and there's not much enemy variety, and it's just endless wailing on someone. i know you could be reductive and say all brawlers are like that, but they're not. positioning matters in those games, and being able to back off before an enemy tries to grab or use one of their special abilities (like in the SOR series). not so here.

also, holding on to your health is difficult, because punching any obstacle hurts you. if there's a manhole you need to open, or a crate that has a powerup (including health pickup), or a trap you need to get through, it'll cost health to keep wailing on it until it's destroyed. some rooms are 'puzzle' rooms that give you a tool you need to take care of the obstacle, but other rooms aren't and just exist to drain your health. by the way? you only get one life for the entire game. that's it.

i dunno what the deal is, because this game came out after game rentals were no longer a boogeyman to the industry. but i needed the emulators rewind button just to back out of a room and choose a more fair room several times, and trial & error gameplay sucks.

the final boss takes a page out of revenge of shinobi and has you fighting against a boss while also pulling a lever to keep a hostage alive. i'd like to think this is an homage but.. it feels more like they just re-used an idea than paid tribute. also the final boss doesn't even have any particularly challenging aspect to him, he's practically a regular enemy but with more hitpoints. combined with the four total chapters makes me wonder if this was rushed to market to keep the genesis going late in life.

next:
wonder boy III: ocarina of crime

Yes, dude. Comix Zone sucks, the thing that it has going for it is that it looks as good as people remember it and the concept is tight. Like a lot of games are remembered fondly and you look at it and go, oh my memory is *wrong*, but you can be validated by looking at stills from Comix Zone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow never heard of this before, sounds neat

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Wow never heard of this before, sounds neat

i took my students on an unauthorized field trip to a volcano

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No guys, he's talking about XCOM 2: War of the Chosen

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/BulbaGanda/status/1159834276323459076

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Okay, but now we need the Nailed It! version

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't think I've had a fondant cake in a long time so I wouldn't know if that even tastes good

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Looper posted:

i took my students on an unauthorized field trip to a volcano

I didn't know Ms. Frizzle was a goon.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think I've had a fondant cake in a long time so I wouldn't know if that even tastes good

Fondant tastes like toothpaste without the mint, and with a layer that thick I'm betting not. It's a display cake. Cute though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

oddium posted:

Trails of Cold Steel

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

oddium posted:

Dark Souls

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Comix Zone has always sucked and it gives me new life every time another person finds this out and makes up for the unwarranted praise I used to hear it get all the time.

Absolutely the same. I had a friend in college I got to watch this happen to in real time and it was incredible.

To this day I just assume everyone hyping it up literally never played it

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the best mule type drink is actually just a moscow mule but made with gin instead of vodka. Half a lime's juice, 3oz gin, 355ml Grace's ginger beer or the spiciest ginger beer you can find, maybe like 6 or 7 big dashes of bitters, over lots of ice. gently caress thats a good drink,

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there a Manga Zone

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

Is there a Manga Zone
Jump Super Stars.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I should find some ginger beer, I think I would enjoy it even outside of a cocktail context

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Help Im Alive posted:

Is there a Manga Zone

I think that's adtrw

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I really like Fever Tree for ginger beer.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I really like Dark and Stormies, which are Moscow Mules but with rum instead of Vodka.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I really like Fever Tree for ginger beer.

This is a good choice. I also like Cock and Bull ginger beer.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Vice: Project Doom's cover looks like a Malaysian action movie from the 80's or something

title itself is also appropriately non-native-english-speaker-ey

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I had a dream last night that there was gonna be some new rpg where the gimmick was that you gave basic orders but didn't actually have full control over your party members at all and you could change up their skill loadout and tactics to try and get them to follow my commands.

It was also a crossover game with a lot of shadow hearts characters tossed in as references. I was so happy that shadow hearts would be making a comeback in some form. Then the dream took a turn for the real fuckin weird.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Minus Shadow Hearts that exists, its called Last Remnant.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I was gonna say dragon quest with the ai tactics turned on

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

Yeah lets kick some a

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Vice: Project Doom's cover looks like a Malaysian action movie from the 80's or something

The cover for Contra in North America has two characters on the front that are very obviously supposed to be Arnold Shwarzanegger and Sylvester Stallone.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

my first thought as well

also why i hate that game

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

The cover for Contra in North America has two characters on the front that are very obviously supposed to be Arnold Shwarzanegger and Sylvester Stallone.

I :love: old videogame box art

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Monkey Fracas posted:

In Japan it's called "GUN-DEC" and the cover is some guy not wearing shoes

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yippie ki yay, Mr. Falcon.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I thin Guerrilla War starred famous soldier pals Fidel Castro and Che Guevara.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I had a dream last night that there was gonna be some new rpg where the gimmick was that you gave basic orders but didn't actually have full control over your party members at all and you could change up their skill loadout and tactics to try and get them to follow my commands.

It was also a crossover game with a lot of shadow hearts characters tossed in as references. I was so happy that shadow hearts would be making a comeback in some form. Then the dream took a turn for the real fuckin weird.

Persona 3 FES is kinda like that except they pretty much do what you want them to 99% of the time

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

have you played either ogre battle game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDUj_FSarGI