Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

LegionAreI posted:

So I have a problem with a fort I've been working on long term - around 130 dwarves, the framerate is fine when it's running, but it hangs for a few seconds every so often. These hangs go so far as to put the game into "not responding" for 20-30 seconds. This happens every few minutes so it's pretty unplayable.

The cavern is breached, I've used dfhack to clean tiles, I've dumped all tattered clothing. Does anyone have any ideas to stop this from happening? I put a lot of time into this fort and it seems weirder than the usual framerate cratering.

In addition to the above poster, couple of questions to help narrow this down:

How many animals? Are they in cages/pastures/roam free? (See the past couple pages for enough discussion regarding this.)
Water? Lava? Any flows?
Weather? Heat/temp?
Is it saving? Are the slowdowns connected to the changing of the season?
How many trees are on your map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, i loving adore the little mysteries this game creates.
Someone or SOMETHING killed three dwarves in the stairwell. A hauler and the manager, fine, they were chumps, but it also decimated a legendary hammerdwarf from the 3rd hammerers in full steel battlearmor, god drat. What was it :tinfoil:

Also unrelated, my manager orders seem to be working better now that i put them on "less than" and to check daily.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There is no timeline for the Steam release is there? Like not even a "end of 2019"?

I haven't played DF in years but I will pick up the Steam version day 1, I can't wait to dive back in.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Popete posted:

There is no timeline for the Steam release is there? Like not even a "end of 2019"?

I haven't played DF in years but I will pick up the Steam version day 1, I can't wait to dive back in.

The large post on the last page talks about it. There is no timeline.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
In short, toady will work on villains for a while and then there will be an unprecedented UI dev phase, and then probably a hardening/testing phase.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

LegionAreI posted:

So I have a problem with a fort I've been working on long term - around 130 dwarves, the framerate is fine when it's running, but it hangs for a few seconds every so often. These hangs go so far as to put the game into "not responding" for 20-30 seconds. This happens every few minutes so it's pretty unplayable.

The cavern is breached, I've used dfhack to clean tiles, I've dumped all tattered clothing. Does anyone have any ideas to stop this from happening? I put a lot of time into this fort and it seems weirder than the usual framerate cratering.

So every month or so the game checks and updates on new changes to every location in the world outside of your fort. How large of a world did you generate because usually when it happens to me things just kinda freeze for a bit and then the game goes back to normal until the next checkin.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Do humans have procedurally generated cultures now? There aren't any positions (e.g. diplomat, monarch, law-giver) in the entity_default raws for humans any more.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I really hate pumps. You absolutely cannot use a gear right next to them because water will inevitably spray out of them away from the business end. I've tried all kinds of strategies to wall around the gear and it still fucks up. It doesn't matter if the gear is one the front or the back. I just lost a fort to a pump stack misbehaving and then all the dwarves trying to shut it down getting swept into the moat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I really hate pumps. You absolutely cannot use a gear right next to them because water will inevitably spray out of them away from the business end. I've tried all kinds of strategies to wall around the gear and it still fucks up. It doesn't matter if the gear is one the front or the back. I just lost a fort to a pump stack misbehaving and then all the dwarves trying to shut it down getting swept into the moat.
It's possible you just invented a mist generator.

e: poo poo, I just found out there was a way to review the relative Z-levels of sites. fuuuuuuuuuck Toady thinks of everything

Nessus fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 10, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Nessus posted:

It's possible you just invented a mist generator.

e: poo poo, I just found out there was a way to review the relative Z-levels of sites. fuuuuuuuuuck Toady thinks of everything

If by "mist" you mean "ghosts of dead dwarves from getting flung into the moat from water discharging out the sides of a pump array," then yes!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Connect from the top.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

hailthefish posted:

Connect from the top.

How does that work across layers?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Whats the better way to transport magma from the bottom to the top of my fort for magma forges in terms of longterm FPS impact? Aqueduct or elaborate minecart system?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In the sufficiently long term it doesn't matter, since magma forges / smelters don't actually use up magma and the FPS hit is caused by a) flows and b) changes in temperature, neither of which apply any more once the system stops moving.

(Well, at least in theory -- there are some bugs related to "jittery" temperature changes after everything should have stabilized, but there are DFhack scripts for that.)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ah okay, i'll probably do aqueduct then. Man, i wish there were actual pipes tho, would look and feel cooler.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How does that work across layers?

Machinery can support other connected machinery even without a floor directly underneath every single square, and you can channel through the floor to connect machinery on different z-levels.

(Also there's glitches where power will magically transfer through the floor even without a channeled hole sometimes depending on the build order of the components)

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
if toady implemented magma buckets, we could simply carry the magma to the appropriate forge

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Give us magma containers if only for the inevitable "bugs" of cats and drunk dwarves drinking from them or tracking it around the room.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

So I started a new fort with Modest Mod, which, among other things, makes every non-sapient animal tameable.

Weird side effect: my dwarven civ had domesticated beak dogs, so I embarked with a few, but they're not treated as either animals or citizens -- they show up on the "all units" list as "Beak Dog (Tame)" and they're friendly, but they can neither be butchered or otherwise managed like livestock, nor given labors (or otherwise managed like citizens). Any idea what might cause this?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

hailthefish posted:

Machinery can support other connected machinery even without a floor directly underneath every single square, and you can channel through the floor to connect machinery on different z-levels.

(Also there's glitches where power will magically transfer through the floor even without a channeled hole sometimes depending on the build order of the components)

Okay so I have open space below a pump, it won't construct, but it will construct if the space below is filled with another pump?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Okay so I have open space below a pump, it won't construct, but it will construct if the space below is filled with another pump?
Yeah, if you're doing a pump stack, you need two holes in the floor: One to get the liquid from the lower leve, and another to connect to the lower pump. I think it's

_ _
_PPW

THe lower pump is pumping to the right through a hole in the floor below it (not pictured), then you build the new pump facing left. The dwarf stands on the piece of floor on the right to build it, it connects through the left hole and pumps through the right hole, and pumps into the space on the left. Reverse for the next spot floor up. Connect the top level to enough waterwheels to power the pump stack and away you go.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Zereth posted:

Yeah, if you're doing a pump stack, you need two holes in the floor: One to get the liquid from the lower leve, and another to connect to the lower pump. I think it's
Ugh--I think the Wiki is trying to show that but I didn't really get that from the animated image it was using. Well, I can try that next time I try to do this aquifer thing, but I think I'm aquifer'd out and will just hack the blocks I'm bunching through after theoretically making all the stuff to do it. I like the larger, strategic problem posed with the aquifers, but the fiddling is horrible.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ugh--I think the Wiki is trying to show that but I didn't really get that from the animated image it was using. Well, I can try that next time I try to do this aquifer thing, but I think I'm aquifer'd out and will just hack the blocks I'm bunching through after theoretically making all the stuff to do it. I like the larger, strategic problem posed with the aquifers, but the fiddling is horrible.
The new much reduced flow aquifers are going to be great for that. You can still use them as a well but they'll be much less punishing to accidentally breach and you'll want the same general strategy to get through them but it's much easier to actually execute.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In all the effort I put into reclaiming the fortress, dealing with the bodies, restoring the pumping setup, and all the actual pumping, morale plummeted. There's a Cascade of depressed dwarves dying off--sometimes throwing themselves into the moat--causing more trauma. I tried turning on that exhile feature in DFHack that lets disgruntled dwarves leave with diplomats and traders. Something like 60 dwarves will flee with these... and come right back (still pissed). I'm guessing I need to just manually fire all of them.

Among the nutters was my mayor, who apparently pissed off multiple diplomats and hence I have not done any trading beyond the second arrival (the depot is accessible and reclaimed). In the midst of his misery, he kept getting relected.

It also rains for months and months. Very fitting.

Edit: I am pretty sure when they all leave that they leave their children behind, so I am stuff with about eight dwarves--half of which are nuts--and about 30 kids.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 11, 2019

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
A human resident in my fort just "claimed the position of lord of The Ageless Council". I'm assuming he became a noble (but not one of mine)? It says he's a lord, but i don-t know if it always said that cause i never looked at him before. Is this gonna have some kinda gameplay effect?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dongattack posted:

A human resident in my fort just "claimed the position of lord of The Ageless Council". I'm assuming he became a noble (but not one of mine)? It says he's a lord, but i don-t know if it always said that cause i never looked at him before. Is this gonna have some kinda gameplay effect?

As soon as they become a noble they demand the trappings of their stature. You respond by saying their trappings are the magma pit.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
A tall rear end piece of poo poo human already has enough STATURE :bahgawd:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I'm in a bugged situation here. After a lot of tug-of-war from enabling the DFHack script, I am stuck with 27 entities listed as merchants in the "Other" category. I think they are all former residents that chose to emigrate. They're just farting around the fort. Meanwhile, I get no more migrants. No caravans come, although I was able to eventually force one. Unfortunately, when I had the wits to try this, the trade depot was dismantled, so I never really got to see what happened. When the script was last run, the dwarves that came up agreed to leave with a diplomat I have tried:

1. Forcing a diplomat to arrive ('force' command). Nothing happens.
2. Rebuilding the trade depot. No effect. Trade depot claims to be accessible, although I've tucked it in well under the aquifer.
3. Remove-stress on all dwarves, which appeared to work after getting a patched version from GitHub (and restarting).
4. Try to force another caravan in another season. Looks like that's happening right now.

I'm assuming the stuck dwarves have something to do with not getting the diplomat to arrive. Can anybody think of anything to unjam it? I am trying to avoid abandoning again because I just don't want to deal with all the poo poo getting scattered everywhere again.

Edit: I just abandoned it (again). Hopefully this time I don't get a wave of migrants that immediately flip out from burials or whatever the heck happened the last time around.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 11, 2019

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
I appear to have a rodent infestation:

I only started playing this game over the week end but I assume something very bad is happening to my Civilization because these guys all inherited there holdings in the space of a couple of months. I am tempted to arrange for work place accidents to happen to them all because I have not idea how I am going to build enough stuff to keep them all happy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mute_Fish posted:

Yeah, you have a problem when it is easier to list what isn't banned for export.

By any chance, did that all happen around the turn of the year? I had one game where a huge pile of these would happen, but none of the people in the notices were even on the map.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm assuming the stuck dwarves have something to do with not getting the diplomat to arrive. Can anybody think of anything to unjam it? I am trying to avoid abandoning again because I just don't want to deal with all the poo poo getting scattered everywhere again.

Edit: I just abandoned it (again). Hopefully this time I don't get a wave of migrants that immediately flip out from burials or whatever the heck happened the last time around.
It looks like it's still happening. I think I got the initial diplomat visit and two waves of migrants, but nothing else. My civilization looks to be really vibrant and even subjugated a goblin civilization in the time I have been trying to run this fort. I was able to force a human caravan and effectively trade with them. However, no migrants ever come.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It looks like it's still happening. I think I got the initial diplomat visit and two waves of migrants, but nothing else. My civilization looks to be really vibrant and even subjugated a goblin civilization in the time I have been trying to run this fort. I was able to force a human caravan and effectively trade with them. However, no migrants ever come.

Is anyone standing directly on the edge of the map all the time? If so, kill that one.

Or kill them all and let the game sort it out.

If you can, do it with magma or a non-direct way of attack so that you don't risk any loyalty cascade.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheCIASentMe posted:

Is anyone standing directly on the edge of the map all the time? If so, kill that one.

Or kill them all and let the game sort it out.

If you can, do it with magma or a non-direct way of attack so that you don't risk any loyalty cascade.

Will they show up in the population under any of the tabs? I just want to be really sure when I do this because I can imagine missing a stray squiggle.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Will they show up in the population under any of the tabs? I just want to be really sure when I do this because I can imagine missing a stray squiggle.

They should show up as guests. But since this is some sort of bug who knows?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheCIASentMe posted:

They should show up as guests. But since this is some sort of bug who knows?

So I'm not seeing anything in the list of guests nor do I see anybody at the edge of the map. However... however... however... there are two corpses put into a corpse pile from around the original move-in. One's some dude, and the other is "peasant partial skeleton." I could never get a dwarf to bury them. They were haunting up the place, and I did manage to engrave slabs for them. Yet the bodies remain. It's been five game years. Should I atom smash?

Edit: I have this output from the DFHack caravan command:
code:
0: dwarven caravan from Dastot Selor
  Unknown state: 4
  0 day(s) remaining
[DFHack]# caravan happy 0
[DFHack]# caravan leave 0
[DFHack]# caravan list
0: dwarven caravan from Dastot Selor
  Leaving
  0 day(s) remaining
It keeps showing that it's leaving but...

Edit: I tried at a different fort and when the caravan wasn't around, this was gone. There was a wrinkle. In this new fort, the outpost liason won't leave! He's not bugged at the edge of the map and the expedition leader is idle. He's been there for about half a year at this point. They just won't finish the meeting. We even already got the export agreement settled. The last little bit just never happened. I wonder if autolabor or something else with DFHack is wrecking this world.

Edit Edit: I came back to it nearly a game year later and that ghost caravan was cleared. The bad news is that I have something like 100 entertainers hanging out in my tavern now and my work force all followed them up out of the hole to have this ridiculous party. Still waiting to see if I will naturally get migrants.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 13, 2019

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do you get a message if your scholars/craftdwarves write a book? I want to know when it happens so i can read it.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Nosfereefer posted:

if toady implemented magma buckets, we could simply carry the magma to the appropriate forge

Minecarts filled with magma in wheelbarrows.

Mute_Fish posted:

I only started playing this game over the week end but I assume something very bad is happening to my Civilization because these guys all inherited there holdings in the space of a couple of months. I am tempted to arrange for work place accidents to happen to them all because I have not idea how I am going to build enough stuff to keep them all happy.

Send them on conquering expeditions instead. Get yourself some new holdings and they don't come back.

Has someone tried doing a fortress with no prepared meal production at all? The happy thoughts from meals are so busted I'm wondering if you might as well not bother for now.

Dante fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 13, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Having this fort resettled twice and resumed once has really given it some kind of personality. I still have something like 60 entertainers as guests just kind of loving around in my tavern from every single race with one baron consort in there just for kicks. Meanwhile, I just got a wave of 10 immigrants that got boosted by 10 other individuals that requested sanctuary. My expedition leader reacted to this by going into the temple to meditate on rainbows.

With a shaking hand, I ponder assigning one of the elf poets that joined the fort to carpentry.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

With a shaking hand, I ponder assigning one of the elf poets that joined the fort to carpentry.

Somehow I don't think it occurred to me that this situation might come up with the resettling mechanics having gone in (and I have not been able to play in a while because my computer is Old). Regardless of whether the elven love of the forest is a racial or societal norm, they probably have it either way, so unless they have some other personality trait that negates or offsets it, that might generate bad thoughts. The real way to test is probably by assigning them as a woodcutter; elves don't mind craftsdwarfship for its own sake, after all, its the implied felling that seems to bother them the most. I would love to know if there's some variant of 'was upset by desecrating a tree recently' in the moodlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Do it! Do it! It's for.. science.