Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd say PJ should probably be careful to avoid falling too hard into the writing tics common to people suffering from untreated schizophrenia, but on a moment's thought not only does PJ probably know those all too well but most of said tics I can think of are almost indistinguishable from academic writing anyway, which has its own disturbing implications.

I actually have a section of my website devoted specifically to that. Quoting the two relevant articles below:

Schizophrenia and Randomly Capitalized Words posted:

Schizophrenia and Randomly Capitalized Words

I wanted to try and explain specifically how my mental illness impacts my thinking and how you can see some of the results of that in my use of capitalized words. Have you ever read something written by an unmedicated schizophrenic and it is full of Randomly Capitalized Words that seem to be used in such as way as to Convey A Deeper Meaning that is important to the author but Indecipherable to the reader? This is an artifact of how schizophrenics think, and I am far from immune to it. What I have done is adapt myself to it. Let me explain.

Part of my illness is an extremely enhanced pattern recognition. This pattern recognition stems from a part of my conscious experience that process data in a fundamentally different way, I call this part of my consciousness [Pattern], and it processes and arranges data in a way that is very different from how a healthy mind processes and arranges data. [Pattern] perceives connections and repetitions in things, and it also smashes these perceptions down into more manageable abbreviations. By and large, all that [Pattern] does is process data in an extremely abbreviated fashion, sniffing specifically for commonalities between disparate data sets and then creating abbreviated methods to reference them. In most Schizophrenics this manifests as the Schizophrenic thinking and trying to communicate using these abbreviated references that [Pattern] has created in their mind. Generally they are unaware of doing so and simply assume everyone else thinks in the same terms as well, so when they write something and use one of these abbreviated terms they subconsciously turn it into a Proper Noun to distinguish the abbreviated [Pattern] produced concept they are referencing from the literal meaning of the words. As the schizophrenic is completely unaware of this, they feel they are communicating very specific ideas quite clearly, and they can read their own writing back to themselves and understand its intended meaning just fine. I am certainly not immune to this.

When you see my capitalized terms like Compaction or Inner Narrative then these represent a conscious attempt on my part to harness this aspect of schizophrenia. Through a rigorous internal review process I constantly monitor myself for the formation of new [Pattern] produced concepts. My mind creates these somewhat at random (I can consciously direct the topic that these will be formed around, but cannot really influence them otherwise), and then I try and find the ones that hold up to scrutiny. When I find ones that hold up to scrutiny then I try and find ways to communicate these concepts in terms that healthy minds will understand. Although I have naming conventions and systems for all this internally, much of it is too abstract to explain, so the names I wind up using are often part of my attempt to communicate these ideas.

The goal here then is to take the regular incoherent babble of a schizophrenic and try and turn it into something coherent.

Tugging at the Gordian knot: Translating schizophrenia into linear thought. posted:

When I drift off and let my mind wander I play a sort of free association kind of game. I am thinking not in english, but in patterns, vortexes, geometric shapes. memories, sounds, sensations of sounds, memories of emotions of reactions to vibrations of sounds. I free wheel and freely associate, thinking of nothing, just letting consciousness stream by. On occasion I will suddenly sense a connection between two things I have recently thought of. I find this sensation (which I call Epiphany) to be very pleasurable. When I am experiencing this sensation I just roll with it, and let my mind freely make whatever associations come. As I do so I get the sense that I have made a profound connection, learned something important. My mind races to make similar connections, to argue whether there is a connection between these two things or not, a theory is formed to explain the connection, and many interpretations are formed. I find this whole process to be thrilling and very fun. Once I have what I feel is a functioning theory, I construct a Mental Metaphor that contains all the ideas I have just had encoded into it. This Mental Metaphor will be a symbolic representation of my ideas written in an internal language of symbolism that I use. This language is heavily self referenced and often represented by very abstract ideas, nonetheless, it exists primarily as a way for me to recreate any particular thought line I had concerning the idea the Mental Metaphor is meant to represent at a later date. With a properly constructed Mental Metaphor, I can store many inter-related but not yet hashed out ideas into an elaborate symbol so that I can come back and consider later. Then at a later date I can remember the Mental Metaphor, and recall all the ideas that lead me to create it for further consideration and refinement. The Mental Metaphor then gets modified to reflect any new understandings or internal arguments that have been had, and gets deposited back in my memory again. I have many such mental metaphors, all written in a completely self referenced language that makes no attempt to communicate with anyone but myself.

I find this to be an activity that I spend most of my day in, in one form or another. It is extremely fulfilling to me. I usually sit zoned out watching kpop girl bands (helps relieve my Gender Dysphoria, and not hard on the eyes either) and just let my mind drift. Sometimes I am working with one of my Mental Metaphor's, sometimes I am building a new one, sometimes I am just coasting in free association in a kind of drifting listen mode.

When I feel a Mental Metaphor has neared a state of completion, I begin to test it. For this task I have an extensive library of internal self metaphors, folksy sayings, observations, and Pattern Tools (geometric representations of well known and internally accepted orders of operation for internal behaviour). I apply these Pattern Tools to my Mental Metaphor in a testing phase to see if there is any validity to the associations that were used to create the Mental Metaphor. This process is also really fun, I sort of mentally smash my ideas into the ground with as much vigor as I can. I try many ways to argue against my ideas and use many different styles of logic to attack the ideas the Mental Metaphor is meant to represent. I would say that out of Twenty such Mental Metaphor's, Seventeen or so are smashed at this stage. At some point a critical flaw is either discovered, or a simpler explanation, or the association checks out but turns out to have no important meanings. If so, the Mental Metaphor is modified to reflect the discovered flaw. The modification used to represent the flaw is itself stored as a Mental Metaphor so it can be used as a check for previously discovered flaws in new Mental Metaphor's.

Once this process is complete the (on average) three remaining Mental Metaphor's are accepted as "probably true, but still require testing" and added to my internal language database. They become mental constructs meant to represent complex concepts so that I can observe various concepts and communicate with myself more rapidly. By pondering one of these Metaphors and then pondering another I can also compare and contrast and study why I constructed a particular Mental Metaphor one way over another, and are there any connections between these two Mental Metaphor's? 

The underlying essence of what I am doing is translating metaphorical thought concepts based on self referenced ideas that are created in the rich inner world of a schizophrenic mind into English, which is not an easy task. I have to find ways to teach you all basic concepts that underlie the far more elaborate interactions between the sophisticated geometries and memories that are my Mental Metaphor's associated with Narrativists. (How could you understand my description of the Cliven Bundy incident as a "Rapid Narrative Convergence Event" if you did not already understand what Narrative Convergence, and the Grand, Inner, and Outer Narrative's were?)

So I try to find Metaphors to describe my ideas that I think can be communicated. For instance, the above example of my internal ideas interacting with each other above, explaining that process is "Tugging on a few strands" of the "Gordian Knot" that "Schizophrenia twists things into". You see? That is my Communication Metaphor for the idea of needing to teach parts of my internal language before I can communicate my ideas.

So the next step in communicating these Mental Metaphor's is to call the metaphor up in my mind and then cross reference it with an extensive library of separate Mental Metaphor's meant to enable Communication to the outside. These Mental Metaphors are meant to represent past successes in communicating Concepts and reflect a working internal model of the majority of how Outside Minds have interlocution. A new metaphor is created, this one a Communication Metaphor meant to convey in simplest terms the rough outline of the idea the Mental Metaphor is meant to communicate. A good Communication Metaphor should appeal widely and be simple enough to be immediately grasped but with enough complexity that clarifying details can be added. The Communication Metaphor is constructed in such a way to communicate a little story while clarifying details are added as necessary. Let me give a good example of how this process works. I can walk you through this step by step.

For an elaborate demonstration of this concept please consider my description of the Compaction Cycle,which I derived using the above described method.

(on my website this article quotes the article about compaction cycles, cutting it out here since it would be redundant)

The Mental Metaphor of Compaction Cycle: "A series of large tinted glass bowls, each wide and holding about three gallons of liquid. Each bowl has a signifying color to designate its representation of a Narrativist Group Cluster. The colors represent different groups, and some bowls have multiple colors (or patterns) to signify to intermixing and style of intermixing of certain Authoritarian Group Clusters. (Each bowl is hovering in midair and are not affected by gravity in this Metaphor) The bowls are connected through the bottom by a series of small plastic straws that slowly cycle the water between them. Of note is that these straws all pass through a cold zone that chills the water in them before emerging in the bottoms of other bowls. Each bowl contains an IceBerg floating majestically in it. In some bowls the Iceberg is huge, in others small, and in most fairly intermediate in shape. Some Icebergs have mini blizzards occurring in them, that cycle the snow and water up and down, but without moving between the bowls. Over time, water evaporates and leaves, but the Iceberg grows faster than that. The Iceberg keeps growing because the water cycling slowly through the bottom of the bowls through the straws keeps getting colder and making the icebergs grow."

Note that in this Mental Metaphor, not every rule of reality has to be directly applied, which is reflected. Let me explain what this Mental Metaphor is meant to communicate. Each bowl of water represents a Narrativist group cluster, and the water represents people associated with the group, and the iceberg represents hardliners. The weather patterns in some bowls indicate that there is a cycle of creating hardliners that occurs completely self contained within just that cluster. (Ie a Fundamentalist Christian moving from church to church gradually joining more and more extreme ones). the water cycling the straws at the bottom of the bowls represents that constant low level cycling caused by internal group conflicts. Communicated here is the idea that one groups dispelled softliner, when joining another group, often lurks at the bottom contributing little for a long time before becoming a hardliner. (That particular bit of detail was lost in the translation to the slushball Metaphor) The chilling process of traveling through the straw is meant to represent the sense of isolation that eventually drives a Narrativist to seek another group that conforms to the Grand Narrative to meet his/her psychological needs.and also leads to the iceberg gradually growing from below,where most of the growth is occurring anyways.( Another facet of this Mental Metaphor is the idea that the In group cycles are more dramatic and more visible but less overall in importance to the intergroup cycle, this detail was also lost to the slushball Communication Metaphor, but that was deemed acceptable).

So in explaining what I named the Compaction Cycle I had to create a Communication Metaphor to explain the Mental Metaphor associated with all my thoughts on the Compaction cycle. This is a very interesting and (personally very satisfying) time consuming process, but in this case the Slushball Metaphor emerged and it seems to have been one of the more effective thus far.

Also if you all ever wonder why there's frequently long gaps between updates, it's because I have to first figure out my ideas in my own internal language, and then work out how to communicate those ideas to the rest of you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
I really enjoyed that description of just sitting and making connections creatively for enjoyment, I really identify with the sense of fulfillment from that kind of activity. Also interesting to hear how schizophrenia can help one come up with great metaphors.

For my part I can say that reading basic pop science articles and books about the subject I'm engaging with is extremely helpful for the testing phase you speak of, the basic patterns those texts reveal let me design a more rigorous bar that random ideas have to pass and generally keep a check on which established models as well as simple assorted facts the ideas are consistent with and which they contradict (established models often don't agree with each other or real phenomena and critiquing them is a big part of the fun). Of course and no less importantly they also feed my creativity by introducing me to new data points and patterns to make connections from.

I mean, just generally to anyone else who follows this thread because they viscerally enjoy these kinds of creation processes, reading long texts may feel like a chore that takes away from the fun, but once you get adept at finding stuff that inspires you, it's really the opposite. And of course there are podcasts, audiobooks etc. if listening is more up your alley.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thanks for explaining. I kinda get the impression that a lot of those things are kinda things that everyone does, but obviously a lot more pronounced in that case. Which I suppose is another core part of the whole theory.

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames
.... but capitalizing 'random' words is Extremely Good, actually

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is interesting: https://twitter.com/Civiqs/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

Pretty impressive imo for a 4chan prank to take in fully 30% of Americans.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Makes sense, the internet makes you stupid and Americans all have it now

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Atlantic has an interview with a former white nationalist. Here are a few choice bits.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/08/conversation-christian-picciolini/595543/

quote:

Bayoumy: Talk to us about the evolution you’ve seen since you were in the movement 30 years ago—these views used to be on the fringe, and now are much more mainstream.

Picciolini: Unfortunately, I think that the underpinnings of the ideology have always been there. The extremists were on the fringe, and very visible, but other people weren’t willing to voice those beliefs. Thirty years ago, when I was in the movement, we were turning off the average American white racists who didn’t want to be so open and visible about those beliefs. So there was this effort to make it more mainstream, to grow the hair out, turn in the “boots for suits.” I never thought we would have a social and political climate that really kind of brought it to the foreground. Because it’s starting to seem less like a fringe ideology and more like a mainstream ideology.

Kathy Gilsinan: What role does the internet play? There’s a lot of discussion about internet radicalization for members of ISIS—is this a parallel process for white-supremacist movements, or are there differences?

Picciolini: It’s a very parallel process. The propaganda is very similar. The internet itself is a platform. Thirty years ago, marginalized, broken, angry young people had to be met face-to-face to get recruited into a movement. Nowadays, those millions and millions of young people are living most of their lives online if they don’t have real-world connections. And they’re finding a community online instead of in the real world, and having conversations about promoting violence.

---

Bayoumy: What does disengagement look like? What’s a typical example of someone reaching out to you saying they want to leave? How do you help them through that?

Picciolini: It’s a whole lot of listening. I listen for what I call potholes: things that happen to us in our journey of life that detour us, things like trauma, abuse, mental illness, poverty, joblessness. Even privilege can be a pothole that detours us. As I listen to those—rather than debate or confront them about their ideology, but creating a rapport with them—I start to fill in those potholes. I will find resources in their community to help them deal with the trauma, with whatever it is that was the motivation for them to go in that direction. Nobody’s born racist; we all found it. Then I leverage the community around them to try to engage them and support them, and try to find ways for them to crawl out of that hole. Typically what I found is, people hate other people because they hate something very specifically about themselves, or are very angry about a situation within their own environment, and that is then projected onto other people. So I’m really trying to build resilience with people.

I’ll also do immersions to try to challenge their ideology—so I’ll introduce them to the people they think they hate once they’re ready, and challenge them in the same way I was challenged. It’s helped me disengage over 300 people over the years.

Bayoumy: What are some of the things that prompt these people to question their beliefs?

Picciolini: Certainly not facts. It’s very emotional. I try to take them through an emotional journey where they come to the conclusion that they’ve changed, and it’s not me telling them that they’ve changed. What I’ve found least effective is me telling them that they’re wrong, or me telling them that they need to think a certain way. Typically these people are pretty idealistic, although they’re lost, typically pretty bruised emotionally, and they have very low self-esteem.

---

Gilsinan: What’s next?

Picciolini: I really think we need to get away from using the term lone wolves, because while they are single actors, they are part of a larger ecosystem. I just think it’s going to get worse before it gets better. They’re all trying to outdo each other, not just the last person, but Timothy McVeigh. Terrorists will always find another way to do it. I have to ask myself, Do we have white-nationalist airline pilots? There have to be. I knew people in powerful positions, in politics, in law enforcement, who were secretly white nationalists. I think we’d be stupid and selfish to think that we don’t have those in the truck-driving industry.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's a great interview because it demonstrates the only way to get through to people caught up in a movement. Not with debates or big revelatory evidence that you think is most damning, that never works --- but rather setting them up with actual lived experiences.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

The Atlantic has an interview with a former white nationalist. Here are a few choice bits.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/08/conversation-christian-picciolini/595543/

You can't love all of mankind if you don't love yourself.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Just wanted to say PJ was right about there being an escalation in violence as part of this Compaction.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

it feels a little weird to describe a group dynamic like Compaction without a firmly-defined group to have that dynamic

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

it feels a little weird to describe a group dynamic like Compaction without a firmly-defined group to have that dynamic

You did a violence. You did a gatekeeping. You did an elitism and an ivory tower. You did no effort to perform these terms having external meaning. This makes it abundantly clear you don't understand the intersectional nature of the multiplicity of your offenses.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

LordSaturn posted:

Trump supporters are a defined group imo.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Aug 9, 2019

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Aleph Null posted:

Just wanted to say PJ was right about there being an escalation in violence as part of this Compaction.
Swooping in to say so-and-so was right based on some vague prediction is a classic right wing idiot tactic.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Just wanted to say Alex Jones was right all along, this IS the summer of rage!

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Aardark posted:

Swooping in to say so-and-so was right based on some vague prediction is a classic right wing idiot tactic.

Four years ago I was being derided (often in much the same tone) for taking positions like "Fox News is going to go full white supremacist" and "a violent fusion of fringe right wing groups will emerge and seize control of the Republican Party".

To specifically address what Aleph Null was referencing: in the last few months I posted quite a bit about my theory of "popcorn kettle" terrorism; specifically in the context of how/why I expected there to start being a significant uptick in these Lone Wolf attacks that have lately become so frequent. Search sucks and it's not really practical to pull up all of these posts, but I went back and found two and quoted them below for reference:

Prester Jane posted:

I've been thinking the same thing for some time myself. I posited a theory sometime back about what I called a "popcorn kettle" wave of terrorism. The idea here is that individuals who can potentially become radicalized enough to engage in Terror attacks are like seeds of popcorn in a kettle, inert until sufficient heat and pressure is applied. (Heat and pressure in this metaphor represent the general level of radicalization and extremist rhetoric present in the population.) As the heat and pressure level increases in the kettle, at first you start to see random kernels pop off here and there by themselves, then a staccato rapid fire of individual kernels popping off, and then as things really ramp yp you start to see bunches of kernels popping simultaneously. Likewise I believe that in the wave of radicalization spreading through the American populace, we will see first Lone Wolf terrorist attacks as we have been seeing, followed by the emergence of small groups carrying out coordinated Terror campaigns.

Prester Jane posted:

https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/1140656385899814912?s=19

This particular case is interesting not only because this is (according to my "popcorn kettle" stochastic terrorism model) yet another kernel of corn in the kettle going pop; but because that this is happening so frequently now that this particular incident is receiving basically zero attention from major media. Now, in this particular case no one but the shooter was killed*, but this is still a straight up lonewolf armed with an AR-15- assaulting a federal building.

*because the shooter tried to assault a federal building with a courthouse in it

At this point incidents like these are so indistinct as to have become part of a steady background roar of popping kernels. If my overall previous predictions hold- then the next step-up in escalation from here would be for small groups of 2-5 individuals also conducting these kinds of attacks.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Aug 9, 2019

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aardark posted:

I was phone-posting while pooping so I didn't have an easy way to go look up the relevant posts, but PJ directly predicted rising violence of white supremacist terrorists. What she did not predict was that some news outlets are actually calling them "terrorists" and not "lone wolves".

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Aleph Null posted:

I was phone-posting while pooping so I didn't have an easy way to go look up the relevant posts, but PJ directly predicted rising violence of white supremacist terrorists. What she did not predict was that some news outlets are actually calling them "terrorists" and not "lone wolves".

Dave Neiwert has been tracking this since the 90's. And didn't even need to make an internal alphabet to do it.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Aardark posted:

No, it's a cult tactic. This thread is about studying cult behaviors and has established repeatedly that they're not limited to the right wing, case in point the Mueller report worshipping centrists. Even those on the far left are susceptible to cult behaviors because all human brains are, but we at least have some humility and self-reflection about it since we are bothering to study them in the first place. Lurk more.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Willie Tomg posted:

Dave Neiwert has been tracking this since the 90's. And didn't even need to make an internal alphabet to do it.

Is your gimmick just posting "NUH UH I READ BOOKS" every thread?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
*there are 400 million guns in the usa, the right has been organizing and militarizing since the 80s aided by sympathetic politicians and a hapless where not equally sympathetic law enforcement while the left has been disarming and even primordial orgs are infiltrated and compromised, all while the economic situation gets more and more desperate creating circumstances that've been seen before at crisis points in history*

Ah. My powers of deduction tell me this will end... poorly. Yes, a classic Recursive Cragjunction, I've seen this many a time...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

T-man posted:

Is your gimmick just posting "NUH UH I READ BOOKS" every thread?

lmao knowing things and seeking out information independently is a gimmick to you. Neiwert has been writing about militarized right wing groups and domestic terror since Ruby Ridge, if one is minded to make categorical statements about their composition I would suggest Eliminationists as a relatively recent starting point because that's how you replace reckons with knowledge. There's field work and statistical analysis and where he couldn't get there or do it himself he provided a bibliography of other works where other people did, so you can trace for yourself how he formed his conclusions instead of just accepting what he says. I mention him specifically because he's been screaming for 30 years that right wing violence has been continually rising and will continue because it's been a trend.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, but what did Neiwert have to say about the Final Fantasy 7 House?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Willie Tomg posted:

I mention him specifically because he's been screaming for 30 years that right wing violence has been continually rising and will continue because it's been a trend.
Okay and? I spent several years being mocked by a wide range of posters* in this forum for doing the exact same thing.

*it should be noted that this was not a universal reaction to my work

Further, my work requires a complex lexicon because it is dealing specifically with the psychological factors at play in the radicalization process. And this radicalization process extends well beyond simply right wing politics, or even politics in general. It's a conflict but specific and recognizable Behavior pattern, and addressing this Behavior pattern in these terms has required the construction of a novel lexicon.

(Also why are you complaining about my work using a specific lexicon in the thread that is supposedly the "containment zone" for me to quitely discuss said lexicon with other interested Goons?)

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Aug 9, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
One second thought, nevermind.

Helsing has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Aug 9, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Helsing posted:

One second thought, nevermind.

I saw the original, and I just don't even know what to say.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

(Also why are you complaining about my work using a specific lexicon in the thread that is supposedly the "containment zone" for me to quitely discuss said lexicon with other interested Goons?)

because you seem to have the purpose of a containment thread backwards and that's a very simple term by itself which bodes ill for your deployment of subsequent terms your own or otherwise, and because i've seen goon cults form before around personalities before, and this is one of them, and this is specifically a goon cult about how everyone you seem to not like is in a cult except for people itt who agree with you and are nice to you so the congregants may be excised of the burden of materialist analysis.

it seems partially that you feel a sense of reclaimed power sewing from whole cloth a networked cosmology (which is really just social identity theory with a skim of Berger's sacred canopy) and that the kind of goon who gets real mad at the suggestion that books have been written about this in the past does so on your behalf feeds this. it also seems that what you went through growing up damaged you so profoundly that you're unable to conceive of a mental system without the just-so idiosyncrasies that they literally tried to physically beat into you, and you (unconsciously?) reproduce those idiosyncrasies with such startling fidelity i thought that that was the joke when this thread was in the Shift Key Shithouse. trying different ways to process that is no harm and no foul until the specific point where you begin using those mechanisms to relive your trauma again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again, like a cat eating its own hairballs day in and day out for weeks, and then the people flattering that exercise are not helping you in the way they'd like to think they are. because the more you venerate this temple you're making out of your trauma, the more you perceive incisive criticisms about your ideas as attempts to render your lived experiences invalid. which is not the case. if you have trouble with the words then that's understandable but the solution is not to make up words as a first choice, the solution is to go out and find them. research owns because even when you don't find what you're looking for you find what you need.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
fun project: apply your ideas to the people in this thread and yourself, not just the people who aren't here to disagree with you or cannot be interviewed so we can get a clearer picture into their mindset (again i recommend Neiwert because he collects interviews and case studies with a more secular/agnostic kind of militancy i sincerely think you'd find interesting!) if your idea is a fundamentally psychological one--and i contend, no it is not, narrativism as you've described it is sociological/anthropological depending on how othering you wish to be to the objects of your study--then surely none here are without psychologies.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

lol

go outside

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

lol

go outside

i can do exactly that, you're the one stuck in the containment thread with your tired bullshit lmao

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

why does all the supposed "constructive criticism" always turn into yelling at PJ and describing anyone who posts in this thread without ripping her apart as cult members

she's not asking you to donate money or go live in her compound in the woods. how is posting in an extremely slow moving thread cult like behavior?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I don't want to alarm you, but I think you might be having a psychotic break.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So today I had one goon write a long effort post about how I'm not taking the responsibilities seriously enough that come with my level of influence on the forum; and another goon writing a long effortpost about how in the process of writing a theory about cults- I've (unbeknownst to myself) become a cult leader.

Getting mixed feedback here guys, all I'm saying.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
anyway i got like 5 minutes left of lunch and then its back to surreptitious shitposting about jeffrey epstein when i have a second but please consider PJ that incurious worshippers are a poor substitute for.... whatever practical purpose you ultimately decide to apply this to, if any.

WampaLord posted:

why does all the supposed "constructive criticism" always turn into yelling at PJ and describing anyone who posts in this thread without ripping her apart as cult members

its a real headscratcher i tells ya.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

incurious worshippers

gently caress off

Willie Tomg posted:

its a real headscratcher i tells ya.

so the answer is that you're a giant rear end in a top hat?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Prester Jane posted:

I saw the original, and I just don't even know what to say.

I did too

Helsing I just want to say I think (hope) you might be overestimating how we in here react to PJ's theories a bit. I mean we like her metaphors and stories a lot, but if she were to just up and declare tomorrow that some element about the Russiagate conspiracy is definitely going to happen or was going on in secret, I don't think anyone here would bite. In fact most posters that I've read here have agreed with you that there is a US media movement about Russia that itself is far more influential, well funded, and dangerous than Russian efforts. Folks in CSPAM are a little bit more cautious about information than elsewhere.

Willie Tomg your reading list recommendation would go over better by actually including stuff from it and not being weirdly hostile. It's easy, just don't be weird, people. It sounds like a pretty relevant and good read though.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Aug 9, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dumb Lowtax posted:

In fact most posters that I've read here have agreed with you that there is a US media movement about Russia that itself is far more influential, well funded, and dangerous than Russian efforts.

I would agree with the above as well. My writings have focused on Russia exploiting a particular facet of human psychology (Narrativism) in (what I believe to be) specific psyops- that doesn't mean that the radicalization spreading through our society is because of Russia. Quite the contrary, the radicalization spreading through society is the cause of a whole host of factors that would require an entire paragraph to even try and summarize- Russia is just opportunistically pouring gas on the fire in a disciplined way. They aren't responsible for the fire, they're just doing what they can to make sure it's as bad as possible, because that suits their agenda just fine.

The propaganda Network that is the American Media is hilariously zillions of more times more powerful and dangerous than anything Russia is doing, and that's including CNN and MSNBC. Fox News is more-or-less openly peddling purestrain high-compaction Narrativism at this point: but they are still small-fry compared to the rest of American media. MSNBC/CNN et all are largely selling the preferred version of events that our corporate owners have decided the public should accept. (And their collective influence is much greater then that of Fox News/the RWN echosphere )

As compared to what I write about : I believe that CNN/MSNBC et all represent a different form of propaganda; obe preying on different psychological weaknesses and targeted at a different kind of crowd. In the particular case of the US this particular form of propaganda is much more widespread/uncritically accepted than even white supremacist propaganda is at this point.

(Although if my theory is correct, unless Trumpism is stopped that ratio will reverse at some point in the midterm future as Narrativism continues to spread throughout our society)

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Aug 9, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
To be a little bit more blunt about things: Russia wishes it had the ability to spread radicalization through our society to the degree that YouTube's loving algorithms have been doing for the past ~2 years*.

*Portions of Gen-Z are getting really really really hosed up by the media they are being exposed too by the recommendation algorithms- I don't know exactly what it's going to look like but I expect there to be some sort of (unexpectedly widespread) Zoomer equivalent to Otherkin in about 10 years or so.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

if your idea is a fundamentally psychological one--and i contend, no it is not, narrativism as you've described it is sociological/anthropological depending on how othering you wish to be to the objects of your study--then surely none here are without psychologies.

"Myths of Origin" is a sociological/anthropological idea remarkably similiar to "narratives". And what happens when myths of origin are broken ties into how both fascism and socialism arise. And how the whole thing is related to religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Prester Jane posted:

To be a little bit more blunt about things: Russia wishes it had the ability to spread radicalization through our society to the degree that YouTube's loving algorithms have been doing for the past ~2 years*.

*Portions of Gen-Z are getting really really really hosed up by the media they are being exposed too by the recommendation algorithms- I don't know exactly what it's going to look like but I expect there to be some sort of (unexpectedly widespread) Zoomer equivalent to Otherkin in about 10 years or so.

Probably not helping with Zoomers growing up in even more of a cultural blasted wasteland than we did. Everything that can't be immediately monetised or converted into support for fascism is being defunded out of existence. We're already seeing the results of traditional forms of kinship and societal bonds being obliterated by capitalism to create generations of alienated and lonely young people who struggle to find any community that doesn't revolve around spending money.