Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I really liked my time with Planet Coaster but now that I’ve figured out the systems the game has become trivially easy.

I’m not really sure how to fix the issue but every scenario falls into me taking the same basic steps and then just swimming in a profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I play video games to do poo poo I can't do in real life, not to simulate mundane tasks.

QB a Super Bowl team. Fight in a war. Do karate. Kill zombies. Go on a mad crime spree. Chainsaw demons. Slay dragons. Be Batman. Dunk a basketball. Find a magic sword. Fight robots. Be a Jedi.

The gently caress do I want to go digital fishing for? I can fish. I have fished. Been fishing even.

Fish.

What, no lawn mowing simulator mini game? Where's that sweet side area where I can iron my shirts and vacuum my carpet?

This is me on stamina systems. And also weapon degradation outside of Fire Emblem. And that's just stockholm syndrome, once it was gone in Fates and Shadows of Valentia I had no issue with it.

When's a game going to let me be above consequences because I'm too wealthy to be punished anymore? Sure, I can get to level 72 and be largely unthreatened by anything anymore but when am I going to just be able to throw someone into the trunk of my car, blow it up and then get off with a 6,000$ fine after all's said and done?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Stamina bars are always hilariously pathetic too. I can run for 10 minutes (on a treadmill, but still :v:) but link in Skyward Sword can't go for more than 10 seconds despite being a magic child soldier?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Another reason why I enjoyed HZD way more than BotW/Witcher/etc. You can't engineer a way to climb up every single mountain face to see what's hidden up there, but the tradeoff is that it's so goddamn satisfying to just be able to run around and explore at will without stopping to gasp for air every 90 seconds because your character is only marginally more fit than you IRL.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Best fishing minigame is shooting the lake in resident evil 4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I missed some days in this thread but Ive beaten FF13 3 times and its by far my favorite in the series and id buy it again in a heartbeat if it dropped on switch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BioEnchanted posted:

Stamina bars are always hilariously pathetic too. I can run for 10 minutes (on a treadmill, but still :v:) but link in Skyward Sword can't go for more than 10 seconds despite being a magic child soldier?

The conceit is that your character runs around everywhere but the stamina bar is for full on sprinting

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

Torch batteries as well. You can buy right now a keyring-sized torch that'll light up a room, throw a beam half a mile and run for five hours off one AA battery. But any character in a videogame has a flashlight attached to somewhere on their head that lights up about four square inches, can just about shine a light to the end of my dick and runs out after twenty seconds. I'm looking at you, Prey. If I can turn off oxygen meters and weapon degredation, why not let me use the torch properly?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

I missed some days in this thread but Ive beaten FF13 3 times and its by far my favorite in the series and id buy it again in a heartbeat if it dropped on switch.

Same! I think it's because I really enjoy the combat system, it feels really dynamic and interesting, while automating all the boring stuff that puts me off combat in other JRPGs.

Edit: It should be pointed out that I am a known "Bad opinions about video games" haver.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is quite literally one of the greatest games I've ever played. The writing is genuinely compelling, the world is vast, varied and deep, combat is fun and its got hundreds of little mechanics that add up to one of the best experiences I've had playing a game since I was a kid. Its a genuinely astonishing piece of work.

Which is why I really wish it didn't run like dogshit sometimes. I'm playing it on an ageing gaming laptop (i5, 8 gigs, 960m which is basically the equivalent of a 750ti), so when it first started hitching in places and chugging in certain areas with or without heavy combat I figured I was overdoing the pretty settings and set about paring it down, ambient occlusion off, MSAA down to 1x (you can't actually turn it off entirely which is weird) etc etc. Literally no difference, most of the time it was smooth, sometimes it chugged and paused for a few secs, so I took to the forums for some tips.

Turns out, best as I can tell, it just runs like that for most people. I read posts with people having the exact same issues with 32 gigs of RAM and 1080tis. One performance guide even started out with "If you're looking to improve the performance in Nekata (pretty much the main hub world of the game) don't bother, bits of it run like crap for everybody". The thing is, I'm really not a framerate snob particularly on a game like this, 30 and stable is fine, occasional hitching when entering a new large area doesn't really phase me, and I don't expect miracles from a laptop this old. But this is an isometric RPG with some nice lighting effects smeared on top, surely it cannot be that much of a performance hog? What's even weirder is the framerate hitches don't appear to be anything to do with the (admittedly lovely) lighting and sea effects, turning everything off so it looks like crap has no effect whatsoever so I might as well leave it on. I even got a friend with a beast of a rig to boot it up and the issues were identical.

Look, I get it if your game has optimisation issues on release. Crunch times suck, optimisation is hard, and there's a million other things pressing for your time. But this game is well over a year old and has been updated many, many times, and a lot of the forums are complaining that the most recent big update actually makes the issue worse. This laptop can quite happily run GTAV with most of the settings turned up with no issues whatsoever, is the unity engine simply that bad at running a game of this type? It's like they've given up trying to fix it, like something is so fundamentally broken in the engine room that it'd require a fundamental rewrite to do anything with it.

It's still perfectly playable for the most part, and I think it helps that when I played the Baldurs Gate games and Icewind Dale back in the day it was on a toaster so its an experience I'm used to, but holy hell guys surely you could get it running better than this. I understand it didn't sell as well as the developers were hoping despite getting glowing reviews, I wonder how much of that was steam refunds by people less tolerant than I for framerate issues.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just going to say the Stability/Instability meter in Warhammer: Total War 2. I have two armies, one is off trying to smack down my political rivals and is on the other side of the continent, while the main one is licking its wounds from colonizing the last few provinces I needed to claim a region. Oh, the beast men show up and start pillaging? Great, give me a couple of turns so I have an army and I'll go punch them in the face. Oh, you got pissed off that my leader left the city to go punch them in the face and now a rebel army has popped up next to my lord? I'm doing my nation a favor by killing you ungrateful chucklefucks. Thanks for the free exp, jerks.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

SiKboy posted:

In all fairness, I dont want games to start putting my day job in them either.

Speaking of this, GTA 5: Forklift section at the docks.

Actually, GTA5 has a lot of little sections that are just kind of poo poo to play. Dock section. The entire heist related to that. Yoga. Tow trucking. It's a decent game and just playing it for the hell of it is great and the heists are decent when you're actually heisting, but they're so heavily scripted it almost feels like you're being directed through a movie with minimal idea what the script is, but you're not allowed to go off-script.

JackSplater has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Aug 9, 2019

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

JackSplater posted:

That was a funny gag the first time I saw it. It became less funny when I realised they actually expected me to do it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

JackSplater posted:

they're so heavily scripted it almost feels like you're being directed through a movie with minimal idea what the script is, but you're not allowed to go off-script
That's probably one of the best descriptions of Rockstar's game and mission design I've ever heard. Other developers' too, but Rockstar's to a massive degree.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I like the idea of stamina meters as a limiting factor in combat for more methodical games like Dark Souls, but for the love of God decouple them from sprinting already. Call it "combat focus" or something or other and make it only apply to attacks, blocks, and dodges, and I'm completely fine with the idea. Sometimes, though, I really just want to get through a map I've already cleared and get to new content without my character wheezing like a chainsmoking asthmatic.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My problem with Deadfire is that the questlog is kind of aneamic in regards to actual quests. Of the 110 quests 30 are just bounties with no role-playing. Then you have the overlapping quests where you do the one thing but for different factions simultaneously (poho kahara, crookspur) and then you a load of nothing quests which only have one step and usually means talking to a guy.
15 hours in I'm level 14 and I feel like I barely did to accomplish that.

The closest comparison is Mass Effect 1 which has one major quest-hub, and everything after that is spread over miles and miles of space. At least in Deadfire you can upgrade the boat to be less lovely.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pillars if Eternity 2 ran fine for me except for one area where you fight a bunch of vampires. The games frame rate completely crashed. The fight was a huge pain the butt too. Most of the party would get mind controlled, and party member AI seemed to prioritize killing your mind controlled party members instead of the enemies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

OutOfPrint posted:

I like the idea of stamina meters as a limiting factor in combat for more methodical games like Dark Souls, but for the love of God decouple them from sprinting already. Call it "combat focus" or something or other and make it only apply to attacks, blocks, and dodges, and I'm completely fine with the idea. Sometimes, though, I really just want to get through a map I've already cleared and get to new content without my character wheezing like a chainsmoking asthmatic.

I was watching someone play King's Field: the Ancient City and it kind of works like that. Sprinting reduces your stamina, but bottoming out of stamina does not stop your run, nor stop you from making attacks, they just aren't full power.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Charm and Domination are the worst. At least there are more means of countering it in Deadfire since it's just an Intelligence debuff and intelligence buffs of suitable level can remove it, plus you can take certain drugs to counter it. But when Domination hits it hits hard and sucks.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Inspector Gesicht posted:

My problem with Deadfire is that the questlog is kind of aneamic in regards to actual quests. Of the 110 quests 30 are just bounties with no role-playing. Then you have the overlapping quests where you do the one thing but for different factions simultaneously (poho kahara, crookspur) and then you a load of nothing quests which only have one step and usually means talking to a guy.
15 hours in I'm level 14 and I feel like I barely did to accomplish that.

The closest comparison is Mass Effect 1 which has one major quest-hub, and everything after that is spread over miles and miles of space. At least in Deadfire you can upgrade the boat to be less lovely.

On that note, given how streamlined the rest of the mechanics are, having to constantly refer to the quest journal to figure out which quest I'm supposed to be doing and where I'm supposed to be going feels old school in an out of place kind of way. If you want me to find the unexplored island of Oki'Bungo located in the Narrow Waists of Kabash to speak to Majeybong, daughter of Blengyplop who I met on Krull in the Palace of Bonerfarts, don't expect me to remember all of that at 3 o'clock in the morning after a smoke. Some kind of onscreen prompting would be nice, just a little bit of handholding given the depth of the world and the unusual character names. I feel like I spend way too much time referring to the journal and searching every single NPC to find whoever the gently caress I'm supposed to be looking for.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I played like fifteen hours of Deadfire twice, and I think I stopped both times because the A plot ("a giant has exploded from under your house and is striding across the ocean to do things that are probably bad") was getting sidetracked by people coming up to you and saying like "that giant that made the enormous footprint in which we currently stand was really something, but could you settle this trade dispute, [lore word meaning 'honored stranger']" like it was the beginning of Phantom Menace

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

I mean early on its a relatively significant boost because you don't have the the activity points to do much else and it takes very little XP to advance, but after a while when the XP you need for a professor level is 10,000+ and a fish might be 50 xp if you're lucky than fishing feels like a waste of time unless you badly need the money from selling fish or it will put you over the threshold this week so you can have more points next week.

I regularly get 1-2k exp for using all 40 pieces of bait. It's a lot more exp than most things you can do in explore mode :shrug:

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

You're wasting a lot of time for a marginal benefit by doing that.

It's a pretty large benefit if you hit the right break point, which I have several times while fishing.

Anyway, videogame fishing is bad and any game that has it would be improved by removing it.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Aug 9, 2019

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

JackSplater posted:

Actually, GTA5 has a lot of little sections that are just kind of poo poo to play. Dock section. The entire heist related to that. Yoga. Tow trucking. It's a decent game and just playing it for the hell of it is great and the heists are decent when you're actually heisting, but they're so heavily scripted it almost feels like you're being directed through a movie with minimal idea what the script is, but you're not allowed to go off-script.

I think it's partly a joke at your expense (which they can get away with, because everyone will buy the game anyway) and partly a holdover from San Andreas, which was widely marketed with the idea that you'd be doing something different in every mission, for better or worse. Before that, most missions followed the standard formula of "go to this place, shoot these guys", which they largely returned to for GTAIV. Everyone hated GTAIV and thought it was boring, so I would not be surprised if GTAV's missions were simultaneously an attempt to rectify this and get one over on GTAIV's critics. Classic Rockstar, some would say.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Karma Tornado posted:

I played like fifteen hours of Deadfire twice, and I think I stopped both times because the A plot ("a giant has exploded from under your house and is striding across the ocean to do things that are probably bad") was getting sidetracked by people coming up to you and saying like "that giant that made the enormous footprint in which we currently stand was really something, but could you settle this trade dispute, [lore word meaning 'honored stranger']" like it was the beginning of Phantom Menace

Ah, the Mass Effect 3 problem. "Yes, I know the Reapers have arrived to destroy all sentient life in the galaxy unless we muster all our resources to defeat them, but I need you to find a vase for me before I arrange this consignment of weapons."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

I regularly get 1-2k exp for using all 40 pieces of bait. It's a lot more exp than most things you can do in explore mode :shrug:

Once I had a supply of activity points I had more fun just spamming meals with students. My Professor should be fat as hell.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
Mario Tennis Aces is free this week on the Switch. It's really fun, playing doubles with my wife is great. However:
A) The story mode is really hard, aka I'm not very good at the game, and
B) Sometimes I double-press the buttons in a panic, and instead of actually crossing the court to hit the ball the character starts doing some insane loving backflip trick shot and misses entirely :mad:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Torch batteries as well. You can buy right now a keyring-sized torch that'll light up a room, throw a beam half a mile and run for five hours off one AA battery. But any character in a videogame has a flashlight attached to somewhere on their head that lights up about four square inches, can just about shine a light to the end of my dick and runs out after twenty seconds.

Remedy managed to do this with Energizer brand batteries in Alan Wake. The primary combat mechanic of the game involves shining your flashlight at enemies with a torch that depletes its power source in seconds. It's quite possibly the most hilariously inept product placement in the history of mankind.

Somebody presumably had a "woops, we sure hosed that one up" moment because in the DLC the batteries are now generic. I wonder if anybody got fired :shrug:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

The Moon Monster posted:

If you really want to minmax, save your bait until the random event that makes you catch 4 or so fish with every cast. They all give full exp, so it's by far the most efficient way to convert bait to professor levels. (It's also, amusingly, far better for catching gold fish than the "gold fish are more common" event)

Or don't bother because you'll hit max level before the end without it and the game's not nearly hard enough to require minmaxing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

aardwolf posted:

Remedy managed to do this with Energizer brand batteries in Alan Wake. The primary combat mechanic of the game involves shining your flashlight at enemies with a torch that depletes its power source in seconds. It's quite possibly the most hilariously inept product placement in the history of mankind.

Somebody presumably had a "woops, we sure hosed that one up" moment because in the DLC the batteries are now generic. I wonder if anybody got fired :shrug:

I can't use any other battery to cause a flashlight to shine bright enough it kills things.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Karma Tornado posted:

The "A plot" has literally four missions to it, but it seems so much more urgent than "help your favorite faction take over the region," which is what you're actually meant to be doing most of the game.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Another reason why I enjoyed HZD way more than BotW/Witcher/etc. You can't engineer a way to climb up every single mountain face to see what's hidden up there, but the tradeoff is that it's so goddamn satisfying to just be able to run around and explore at will without stopping to gasp for air every 90 seconds because your character is only marginally more fit than you IRL.

That's actually a cool thing about HZD, Aloy will look really exhausted when she stops running:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

If you really want to minmax, save your bait until the random event that makes you catch 4 or so fish with every cast. They all give full exp, so it's by far the most efficient way to convert bait to professor levels. (It's also, amusingly, far better for catching gold fish than the "gold fish are more common" event)

Or don't bother because you'll hit max level before the end without it and the game's not nearly hard enough to require minmaxing.

Yeah, in retrospect I wish I hadn't because the game really is quite easy, it's just so Persona-y it triggered my "max out everything you can before the cat makes you go to bed" response.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

aegof posted:

The "A plot" has literally four missions to it, but it seems so much more urgent than "help your favorite faction take over the region," which is what you're actually meant to be doing most of the game.

Yeah the opening presents it to you like you should be rolling into town with a bunch of villagers pointing at the horizon like "he went that way!" but instead it's a guys named like Putrecio explaining the issues with piratical labor

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Played X-Wing Alliance for first time in forever and I forgot how bullshit it is. 84% of the Imperial convoy destroyed, I'm the only survivor from the two squadrons with half the hull and no shields. 'The Rebellion is very disappointed in you, Azameen!'.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Alhazred posted:

That's actually a cool thing about HZD, Aloy will look really exhausted when she stops running:

Except for her weird unmoving plastic face..

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly, for the number of complaints I've read about that, it's barely ever bothered me in game. It's a little off, but not like it's on a completely different tier than people faces in other modern games for new.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Alhazred posted:

Things dragging this game down: overly long "out of stamina" animations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's the thing though, it doesn't impact gameplay at all. You just start moving as normal whenever you want since it's not tied to any actual meter.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yakuza 0 let's you upgrade so you can run forever while throwing money around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Yakuza 0 let's you upgrade so you can run forever while throwing money around.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 makes battles more open-air so I've taken to starting a fight then just running away, since you run much faster in combat mode and can run infinitely. So I'll just zoom off to my destination and leave the street thugs behind, then wait a few seconds until combat ends and talk to whatever NPC I need to talk to for my side quest.

Also bosses in Kiwami 2 just kind of have too much HP? Like the actual fights are fun for the most part, but they all feel about twice as long as they should be. It doesn't help that the first boss you're put up against has three health bars, doesn't hit hard at all and slowly just becomes you chipping away at this guy because you have no upgrades - but the excitement and cool impact kind of wears thin after you've seen all of their attacks and learned to avoid them and now it's just you still trying to burn through two or three health bars because they have so god drat much HP.