Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Frog Act posted:

well, at worst thats good experience, knowing to expect and generate some answers for that kind of abstract culture fit garbage

I bet you did better then you think based on your extensive knowledge of TCGs and getting that far in the process really

they didnt ask me about any of that, they asked me about all kinds of dumb personality bullshit that im really bad at making up an answer for, the actual situability for the job would be the next interview

there were a couple where i straight up went "this is a bad question, i can't answer that, you're asking me to talk about what id bring to your culture before i know anything about what the actual culture is here, and i dont think there's an honest answer besides "idk man i'll know when i get here""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i didnt phrase it that hostilely but the gist of "i dont think i can really give you an answer in advance, i dont know what its like or what my unique role would be" was there

that was either the best answer because i didnt blow smoke or the worst answer

BENGHAZI 2 has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Aug 7, 2019

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i didnt phrase it that hostilely but the gist of "i dont think i can really give you an answer in advance, i dont know what its like or what my unique role would be" was there

that was either the best answer because i didnt blow smoke or the worst answer

fwiw i like that answer

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so they have a gently caress you impossible abstractions interview before the one about actual relevant job performance capacities? :psyduck:

regarding the smoke blowing I was talking to my hiring manager and she said they strongly prefer and authentic imperfect answer to a perfect obviously concocted one, and I thin thats pretty common

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

good news i just got done with a phone interview and they said they'd like to bring me in for a face to face but it sounded like if the hiring manager and their director were available tomorrow i could come in which i hope isnt the case because i need to brush up on some technical stuff first and i wont have time today

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Frog Act posted:

so they have a gently caress you impossible abstractions interview before the one about actual relevant job performance capacities? :psyduck:

regarding the smoke blowing I was talking to my hiring manager and she said they strongly prefer and authentic imperfect answer to a perfect obviously concocted one, and I thin thats pretty common

yeah, I have a friend who insists that for questions about your weaknesses you should say stuff like "I get upset when other people's level of commitment doesn't match my own" and that always seemed like overkill to me

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Something all those job courses taught me is that the best way to answer a weakness question is to give a LEGIT weakness and then modify it with a "BUT." In other words, admit if there's an issue, but then give a really proactive example of something you've done in the past to work on that issue actively. Dunno how effective that is but it certainly helps for a compulsively honest person like myself because I can at least feel MARGINALLY less BSy in an interview.

In other news, I'm enrolling in MNCare today because my insurance with the university lapses at the end of this month, and oh god I hate forms. My splinter skills do not do forms. Thankfully, the local Planned Parenthood can help me out. I'm just glad that MNCare looks weirdly robust so I can get my drat meds.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

yeah, I have a friend who insists that for questions about your weaknesses you should say stuff like "I get upset when other people's level of commitment doesn't match my own" and that always seemed like overkill to me

I tried being honest once and saying that I have a habit of getting stuck on a particular design point or problem, trying to solve it perfectly when it's better to move on and learn from the mistake. I usually follow it up with what I do to curb those habits. Not sure if that's any good, but that's the fun part of interview questions WHO KNOOOWWWSS

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:36 on Aug 30, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i still don't have the ability to get a psychiatrist, because my case is still pending.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I've been toying with the idea of going back to school and getting a masters, but keep coming back to the conclusion that it would put me in debt for the rest of my life. As a sole income I'd have to take rent on a loan and still work part time for everything else.

...But I can't even pay off current, modest loan until I'm 50 years old, so what the gently caress does it matter. Not that I would go get a masters for the sake of, but gently caress, I dunno.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm realizing one of the odd parts of emotional abuse is my PTSD triggers are the most random things in the world, because you never knew what would turn into a traumatic event. Like donating blood, or shopping for clothes, or getting a haircut, or riding a bicycle. Realizing just now why I really hate doing those things.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I've been toying with the idea of going back to school and getting a masters, but keep coming back to the conclusion that it would put me in debt for the rest of my life. As a sole income I'd have to take rent on a loan and still work part time for everything else.

...But I can't even pay off current, modest loan until I'm 50 years old, so what the gently caress does it matter. Not that I would go get a masters for the sake of, but gently caress, I dunno.

maybe bernie will cancel student debts

thats what im hopin for, takin out 9 grand last year and this year in loans so i can pay rent

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Forums being mostly dead for a bit reminded me that I've already started relying on this space.

Thank you all.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failson posted:

Forums being mostly dead for a bit reminded me that I've already started relying on this space.

Thank you all.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

got any sevens posted:

maybe bernie will cancel student debts

thats what im hopin for, takin out 9 grand last year and this year in loans so i can pay rent

I talked to a friend of mine who is in a similar financial situation - in the sense that they had to take out loans to pay for EVERYTHING, limited aid, racked up basically a lifetime of debt - and asked them if it was worth it. They said that either the bubble was going to burst and we'd get our debt mostly or all cancelled, or society would collapse and we'd have bigger things to worry about. And then posted a gif of Thelma and Louise going off a cliff, which I absolutely respect. They also passed on a lot of good advice on picking grad schools, which was very nice.

To keep winging on about it here (so you can skip if you'd like), I did everything "right" when I was in school, for the most part. Went to community college then a 4 year public and local university, got Pell grants and financial aid (mostly because my parents refused to co-sign any loan). I had a stumbling semester where I got all Es because of wicked depression, but I also had a free place to live that got me out of an abusive home. Even with all of the outside help for housing, the financial aid, working two part time jobs, I STILL left school with $35,000 in debt that I can only make minimum payments on. So what does it really matter? The worst that would happen is that I spend a few years deep diving into something I love, and then go back to doing what I do now, but in a place I want to be, still making minimum payments on a loan. Literally my biggest concern after that is healthcare because this brain is loving brooooken.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Failson posted:

Thank you all.

Also this 100000000%

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i found out my wife isnt getting any student loans for her last semester, so we get to pay around $800/month for the rest of the year, so that's fun.

on the bright side, her bachelor's degree will get her a fat raise of $0.00, so that's cool lol

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Failson posted:

Thank you all.

Message boards are superior to social media

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Failson posted:

Thank you all.

:)

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys
Stress and anxiety can go fly a kite :mad:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went for a walk in the park today! The sunlight felt good! I saw a rabbit!

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Feeling extremely tired today but idk if it's depression or anti-depression side effects. Such fun. :thunk:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Addamere posted:

I went for a walk in the park today! The sunlight felt good! I saw a rabbit!

seeing rabbits is always a good feeling.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

so i had an interview yesterday and it was the longest interview ive ever done in my life because it was a fuckin practical test for an electronics technician job. i was super nervous the whole time and was hyper conscious of every mistake i made from my hands shaking or forgetting something by accident. anyway it still feels like a terrible experience even though the hiring manager told me to my face that he wanted to hire me and would try to make my pay higher than what was written in the job listing. im still chompin on antacids

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poniard posted:

so i had an interview yesterday and it was the longest interview ive ever done in my life because it was a fuckin practical test for an electronics technician job. i was super nervous the whole time and was hyper conscious of every mistake i made from my hands shaking or forgetting something by accident. anyway it still feels like a terrible experience even though the hiring manager told me to my face that he wanted to hire me and would try to make my pay higher than what was written in the job listing. im still chompin on antacids

I was an ET in the Navy, and let me tell you how smooth a cucumber I was during my practical.

My writeup for the troubleshooting portion was: "A1M1T1 is a Decepticon".

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

yesterday was one of the worst days I've had in a while. I don't understand why I can chat all day with friends about completely inane stuff but never, ever manage to articulate stuff when it's actually important or when I need help.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i feel like nauseous all the time, this sucks (not food or health related)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
lol theres like no women on this loving board, just dozens of dipshits who listen to cum town and who cry if you mildly critique them. stresses me the gently caress out.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SunAndSpring posted:

lol theres like no women on this loving board, just dozens of dipshits who listen to cum town and who cry if you mildly critique them. stresses me the gently caress out.

There are several women. Lastgirl, Pick, and Zyla, to name a few, are openly women and talk about things from women's perspectives. Also check out the LGBTQIA+ thread in YOSPOS for lots of :females:, both cis and trans.

But yes I am sure there are also lots of idiots who listen to whatever that is on this dead forum for idiots.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Addamere posted:

There are several women. Lastgirl, Pick, and Zyla, to name a few, are openly women and talk about things from women's perspectives.

But yes I am sure there are also lots of idiots who listen to whatever that is on this dead forum for idiots.

I just gotta stop posting here. Stresses me out to get mobbed by dumb assholes including some lovely mod for making fun of them for posting like right wingers who want free poo poo.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SunAndSpring posted:

I just gotta stop posting here. Stresses me out to get mobbed by dumb assholes including some lovely mod for making fun of them for posting like right wingers who want free poo poo.

I don't know if you mean CSPAM specifically or SA in general, but please consider there exist happy subforums on this dying website. For example, byob is a place you can hang out and chill with your postin pals. Another reason to go to byob is if you want to relax and have a good time posting. All these subforums are yours, save D&D attempt no posting there.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

SunAndSpring posted:

This site is a weird hodgepodge of different cultures and depending on which one you post in they're either chill as gently caress or dumbasses.

I'm a lady too btw for what it's worth, though I'm cis so... maybe only kinda useful?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The rest of the internet is worse like where will you go? Reddit?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

do not go to Reddit if you post in the communist brain problems thread, there is nothing for any of us there

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

SunAndSpring posted:

i'm a woman, and i think goons giving you poo poo for not liking cum town need to get over themselves. cspam legit has an issue when comes admitting to their own privileges and biases.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk what cum town really is other than "some podcast", and im ok remaining ignorant

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Really, getting off the internet is our best goddamn course of action

our brains aren't meant for this poo poo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Addamere posted:

idk what cum town really is other than "some podcast", and im ok remaining ignorant

its the ironically unironically racist podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

turn off the TV posted:

its the ironically unironically racist podcast

sounds dumber than its name