Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hmm... is the Total War website getting ddos'ed? I can't bring it up at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Gongsun Zan and I'm warring Yuan Shao...or I was, until I killed that fucker. He's blown up two of my backup armies and burned down like two cities, and revolts are starting up everywhere because I've got dick for food income right now, but that dumb dickhead's main army attacked mine on a river and he got himself executed after the delegated battle

I might not have much of an empire when this is all said and done but I did the murder on that guy so I feel like this is the real poo poo.

I'd try to peace him while I hosed on someone else but he really makes it hard to expand.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I finished another campaign as a normal faction and I'm ready to try a bandit or a Yellow Turban. Any tips for them? I've heard they play pretty differently.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I haven't pulled the trigger on Yellow Turbans yet, but for bandits - Zhang Yan is actually the first campaign I ever won. He's easy mode because one of his faction's features is that they have a chance to ambush when initiating a battle, and once you've started leveling up generals it's virtually a guarantee. The difficulty is surviving the early game and not getting trapped in a bad situation, but that's the case with everyone. Once you get rolling it's pretty much just constantly massacring enemy armies in ambushes.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Grand Fromage posted:

I finished another campaign as a normal faction and I'm ready to try a bandit or a Yellow Turban. Any tips for them? I've heard they play pretty differently.

All the Yellow Turban starting positions are pretty tough, but your troops don't suffer attrition from having no home territory. So at the start you should get a large and cheap army and just raid/pillage and migrate south so you can expand in peace. Their diplomacy options are very limited, so don't expect to have any friends in the campaign, except other yellow turbans (who tend to die pretty early).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Looks like the next saga got leaked, it's the trojan war. I'm expecting 3K style generals.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Looks like the next saga got leaked, it's the trojan war. I'm expecting 3K style generals.

Nice. Yeah that sounds like it's perfect for a 3K generals deal.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh gently caress yeah that should be great

e: on further consideration, they better have some big overhauls for siege battles in the works

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 9, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
What kind of fighting did they have in that era? If it's pike boxes, then I'll pass. There's nothing more boring than phalanxes grinding against each other.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dramicus posted:

What kind of fighting did they have in that era? If it's pike boxes, then I'll pass. There's nothing more boring than phalanxes grinding against each other.

Phalanx would be invented about 200 years later.

Shield walls are probably more accurate but we can’t know for sure.

It’s kind of a terrible period for a TW game

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It woulda been, but I bet (or well, hope) GF is right and that they're gonna fantasize it a bit with superpowered heroes.

Hell, give me centaurs and Amazons and all that

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

It woulda been, but I bet (or well, hope) GF is right and that they're gonna fantasize it a bit with superpowered heroes.

Hell, give me centaurs and Amazons and all that

If they go fantastical/full fantasy then it will be interesting. Greek mythology total war would rule. I wanna see Medusa artillery that turns guys to stone.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Dramicus posted:

i don't think we know very much about greek warfare from ~800 BC (when the iliad was first written) to ~1200 BC (the period the iliad was concerned with). the greeks fought in some kind of proto-phalanx. organized cavalry was a pretty new and innovative thing. chariots were also a bigger deal. it is somewhere in the moment of technological transition from bronze to iron: such that armor was heavier and more expensive and a bigger deal to have any at all of. they'll probably have to take a number of liberties with the setting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I figure they’d be leaning into the mythological aspects so hopefully it’s more interesting than just a phalanx grind. I heard the peloponnesian dlc for Rome 2 was super dull for that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CA pls nerf wooden horse spam.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Seriously an awesome choice for period. Hopefully they'll somehow squeeze in other Bronze Age fellers too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dramicus posted:

There shouldn't be phalanxes. Pike phalanxes specifically are about 900? years later. That era is extremely murky as far as documentation so I don't know what they'd do. I'm guessing something sort of generically Bronze Age Warfare like what Zane is saying. Chariots, swords, axes, basic bows.

We have very little historical information about the Trojan War except an assortment of evidence that looks like the Homeric myth is probably based on something that happened. There is a site that has been identified as Troy that was burned down at the right time. But like, actual details? Not much. If I were making a Saga game on it I would make it totally Homeric and forget about the historical. Doing experiments is what the Saga type of game is about anyway.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Loyalty mechanic for Achilles: make sure he gets the chicks he wants or else he pouts in his tent for 20 turns.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Finished an 8P campaign as Sima Wei. Conquered west/south west while having a single strategist colonizing the north for all the horse pastures and occasionally trading my collection of minifigs for Jin towns in the region, with my east being shielded by friendly vassals/trading partners. Halfway through Grand Prince tier, some random minor manages to snipe Luoyang from the Jin and then proceeds to leave it undefended so I swoop in, and get the regency through virtually no effort. This lets me upgrade my horse pastures to tier 5, which, combined with upkeep reductions from tech, might alignment and my national resource, means I get free cataphracts. I create an alliance of me and the Jin and they beat up multiple other princes in the former Cao Cao/Liu Bei/Kong Rong area while I cross the river and bury everybody in the mountains there under an endless tide of horses. Victory on turn 75.

Observations:
-The Jin Empire is MUCH stronger than the Han. They make aggressive use of their infinite wealth and quick build feature to rapidly out-build normal factions. I bought Hedong off them around turn 68 or so and it was level 10 and filled with level 5 buildings. Once they stopped being at war with everybody and could focus on just a few factions a time, they actually started to expand all by themselves.
-The Empress is bugged and keeps making requests/decrees after her death.
-Cataphracts own.
-Cataphracts that cost 0 upkeep own even more.
-Trebuchet nerfs are completely offset by the ammo bonuses from the new tech tree, which also makes crossbows even stronger than before.
-There's a lot more higher leveled characters in the pool, nearly everybody was at least level 3 and had 100+ in their primary skill.
-Money felt easier to come by as well but that might be from me not paying upkeep for my primary unit type.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Wasn't the mythological Trojan War basically just a decade-long siege? Could you even make a full-scale TW game of that?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
longer siege times

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nephthys posted:

Wasn't the mythological Trojan War basically just a decade-long siege? Could you even make a full-scale TW game of that?

The Saga games are more limited in scope.

Even then I'm guessing they'll go for more a Trojan War era thing covering the Aegean than just being a long rear end siege of Troy. Though I wonder if they could make an entire game about a single siege and the battles around it. Like the whole map is just Troy and its environs. If it were just a sort of X-COMy tactical game maybe.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

CA pls nerf wooden horse spam.

WTF CA, fix your buggy game. Every time I accept a peace offering, I lose my capital.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nephthys posted:

I mean, it was never just ten years of sitting outside of the city of Troy. Troy was the central city of a powerful faction, and much of the ten years of the Trojan war was the fighting around the villages and smaller cities. You would need a very small imagination to not be able to picture a Trojan war total war game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I haven't pulled the trigger on Yellow Turbans yet, but for bandits - Zhang Yan is actually the first campaign I ever won. He's easy mode because one of his faction's features is that they have a chance to ambush when initiating a battle, and once you've started leveling up generals it's virtually a guarantee. The difficulty is surviving the early game and not getting trapped in a bad situation, but that's the case with everyone. Once you get rolling it's pretty much just constantly massacring enemy armies in ambushes.

oh lol thats what got my loving good generals murdered at the end of one of my games. i was cruising along, ended turn and got ambushed and i was like "what the gently caress there's no way i was moving"

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

litany of gulps posted:

I mean, it was never just ten years of sitting outside of the city of Troy. Troy was the central city of a powerful faction, and much of the ten years of the Trojan war was the fighting around the villages and smaller cities. You would need a very small imagination to not be able to picture a Trojan war total war game.

I mean tbf at the height of their power (when you cross ref homer with other sources) the colony turned city state that is attributed to Troy controlled a decent chunk of modern day turkey between direct ownership and vassalage. So yeah could expand the map to include all that plus additional coastal and island territories that pledged to the Mycenian/Lacedaemon alliance. Hell make it more of a TW game by including all their home turf, so then basically larger version of the wrath of sparta campaign but with epic heroes and gods and demigods

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

I mean tbf at the height of their power (when you cross ref homer with other sources) the colony turned city state that is attributed to Troy controlled a decent chunk of modern day turkey between direct ownership and vassalage. So yeah could expand the map to include all that plus additional coastal and island territories that pledged to the Mycenian/Lacedaemon alliance. Hell make it more of a TW game by including all their home turf, so then basically larger version of the wrath of sparta campaign but with epic heroes and gods and demigods

It's starting to sound better and better, but I REALLY hope they lean on the mythical/fictional side of things. If they make Thrones of Britannia but in Greece, it's going to fail even harder than TOB did. I want to see a cyclops as an endgame unit. Maybe have a system where you start off relatively historical and unlock more and more crazy poo poo as you progress. By the end you've got Zeus throwing lighting bolts at units of centaurs and titans.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Verviticus posted:

oh lol thats what got my loving good generals murdered at the end of one of my games. i was cruising along, ended turn and got ambushed and i was like "what the gently caress there's no way i was moving"

Same, but early on for me as Gongsun Zan. Had a new army just chillin' outside a city and I even saw the dude coming then got ambushed like "what the gently caress?" lmao

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Dramicus posted:

It's starting to sound better and better, but I REALLY hope they lean on the mythical/fictional side of things. If they make Thrones of Britannia but in Greece, it's going to fail even harder than TOB did. I want to see a cyclops as an endgame unit. Maybe have a system where you start off relatively historical and unlock more and more crazy poo poo as you progress. By the end you've got Zeus throwing lighting bolts at units of centaurs and titans.

Oh poo poo, I tried playing TOB so many times because I loved the M2:TW Britannia campaign sooo much. But omfg i don’t get why they thought people want to play poo poo where you have to hunker down forever to build any army and micromanage supplies beyond a level of even skaven food supps in WH2

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm liking Eight Princes so far but I find some of the mechanics to be irritating. Sima Liang is heavily penalized for expanding too quickly, Sima Wei seems to be penalized for not expanding fast enough. Seems like it's easy to have a bunch of disloyal generals too if you get too much Mind going which seems to happen to me fairly frequently without really trying to. These are minor irritants and sometimes I kind of like it since it makes each faction feel different even with mostly similar rosters, but I haven't been able to complete a campaign yet. Also the Jin Empire is way savvier than the Han is in the base game, which I like.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Oh poo poo, I tried playing TOB so many times because I loved the M2:TW Britannia campaign sooo much. But omfg i don’t get why they thought people want to play poo poo where you have to hunker down forever to build any army and micromanage supplies beyond a level of even skaven food supps in WH2

If you haven't played it since they finished patching the hell of it, I'd recommend trying it again. Imo it's up there now with FotS and now Three Kingdoms as far as historical Total Wars go, but ymmv obviously

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I still never managed to have a good game with Throb and played after the patches.

You can see where a lot of the good systems in 3K were prototyped though so at least it resulted in a good game.

Id be way more lenient on it if it didn't also run much worse than 3K

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ever since Shogun 1 was an unexpected hit CA have been searching for that golden 'anti doomstack' ticket where the player's path of least resistance is to amass overwhelming power and then have a series of battles that are neither fun nor challenging as they sweep across the map. This works best when the player is on a tight timetable and just has to roll forwards with what they have, sometimes well when the AI is given its own doomstacks as spawns, but much more rarely does an attempt to achieve this with logistics work out.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

god forgive me but i'm back on my DeI poo poo

rome 2 is clearly just being crushed to death by the weight of stuff they've added at this point. load times take forever, grand campaign turn times almost rival Mortal Empires

but god drat does it look good. the modellers on this project are extremely good. I think CA's modelling in warhammer is really strong but DeI team blows them out of the water on historicals.
pergamon just got a visual update so i'm playing them and they look amazing. it must be gpu intensive but I love that almost every guy in a unit looks unique, your low level units are a bunch of armed commoners in tunics then your high level hoplites all look like indivudal warriors with their own story

also the AoR and reform systems constantly feeding you new units if you conquer the right territory really does keep me playing, i like conquering asia and getting cataphracts and elephants or going to rhodes to get slingers

now if only it didnt run like poo poo outside of battles

e: for reference, heres some screenshots, sorry about the TWC link

Pergamon & Sparta:
https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?798836

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 22, 2019

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I keep thinking about getting back into Rome 2 since it still remains my favorite historical (please don’t make me choose between it and WH2 tho :) ). My main concern is I’ll get sucked back in too hard and won’t be able to pull myself away to play through campaigns on my to-do list in other games

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I kinda wish certain unique units were tied to regions rather than characters- lookin' at you Yi archers in Xu, and also Liu Biao's badass spears being tied to the lamest warlord despite just being "Jing Dudes."

Also, representing the Han provinces would be a cool flavour thing. The existing commanderies mostly follow the provincial borders with some fudging around the lower Yellow River. Tie each commandery to a province and designate one city as capital of the province. Each province could have a unique unit recruitable by whoever owns the capital, and let rulers at King/Emperor appoint protectors to provincial capitals they control. They would be hyper-administrators affecting the whole province and also maybe controlling the province's Imperial Protector would make lesser rulers with their capitals in the said province more inclined to be your vassal.

Sili, Qing, and Yan would need to be fudged and the northwestern parts of Bing and Liang look kinda weird since those are soft borders anyway, but the borders basically already exist on the 3k map.

E: map also accidentally demonstrates how absurdly fat Shu and Wu can be compared to Wei in the game.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 24, 2019

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I kinda wish certain unique units were tied to regions rather than characters- lookin' at you Yi archers in Xu, and also Liu Biao's badass spears being tied to the lamest warlord despite just being "Jing Dudes."

Also, representing the Han provinces would be a cool flavour thing. The existing commanderies mostly follow the provincial borders with some fudging around the lower Yellow River. Tie each commandery to a province and designate one city as capital of the province. Each province could have a unique unit recruitable by whoever owns the capital, and let rulers at King/Emperor appoint protectors to provincial capitals they control. They would be hyper-administrators affecting the whole province and also maybe controlling the province's Imperial Protector would make lesser rulers with their capitals in the said province more inclined to be your vassal.

Sili, Qing, and Yan would need to be fudged and the northwestern parts of Bing and Liang look kinda weird since those are soft borders anyway, but the borders basically already exist on the 3k map.

E: map also accidentally demonstrates how absurdly fat Shu and Wu can be compared to Wei in the game.
You could even carve out parts of southern Yi and southern Yang as separate provinces with Nanman and Shan Yue specials respectively.
But yeah, some of these Han provinces were total bullshitting on their part.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I kinda want them to make Liu Zhang and Han Sui playable.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Azran posted:

I kinda want them to make Liu Zhang and Han Sui playable.

I picked up Liu Zhang in my Dong Zhou game. He ended up leading the army that captured and executed Liu Bei for his sweet swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Beat an Eight Princes campaign finally. Sima Ying has a tough start but once you consolidate that area you can really start rolling.