Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

gently caress off and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
All y'all shut your bocadillos.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

All y'all shut your bocadillos.

Breada Mcgurn

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pita Mcgurn come on.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

purple death ray posted:

Pita Mcgurn come on.

I don't hear/read it with a long e sound in my head dwi

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
You guys are on a roll!

It is flee-tah, like pita. I think?

E: do you grind your bread flour with a McQuern?

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Aug 9, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nice buns (puns), everyone!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It wasn't really a saga, but the Small Pastries thing in the PYF weird food thread was classic.

Short version- someone posted a picture of a dish that had shrimp on it, and someone asked if why there were little pastries on it.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

bradzilla posted:

One of the worst, brain-damaged, nothin-but-politix posters has finally been permabanned.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864784&pagenumber=33&perpage=40#post497287439

RIP in piss Moridin.

Good.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

bulletsponge13 posted:

It wasn't really a saga, but the Small Pastries thing in the PYF weird food thread was classic.

Short version- someone posted a picture of a dish that had shrimp on it, and someone asked if why there were little pastries on it.

yes

The_White_Crane posted:

Baguette out of here.

someone

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I maintain that was an extremely lovely picture of shrimp. :colbert:

(I've never seen them prepared that way. I'm used to seeing them raw.)

OTOH it did teach me that shrimp and prawns are the same, which I genuinely didn't know -- I thought they were two similar but different species.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It’s fine, thank you for having a good sense of humor about it.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

OTOH it did teach me that shrimp and prawns are the same, which I genuinely didn't know -- I thought they were two similar but different species.

what are you talking about, those are small pastries

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

El_Elegante posted:

It’s fine, thank you for having a good sense of humor about it.

It is funny. And I got a silly avatar out of it, and even inspired a thread tag.

There are far far worse things I could have ended up in saclopedia for, so I'll count my blessings I'm "the small pastry goon" and not "the another child molester goon" or "the goon who died from injecting drugs into his eyes".

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

A Moose posted:

what are you talking about, those are small pastries

yeah, dude, that's... that's the joke. that's what's being referenced, and directly discussed.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The_White_Crane posted:

And I got a silly avatar out of it.

Back before you could buy avatars that big, too :cool:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Back before you could buy avatars that big, too :cool:

whoa!! gonna buy this guy a mod's pet avatar and change the course of history

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

I didn't realize it was you, or that you were in the thread!
It was one my favorite stories on this site, because it just broke everybody's brain. Like no one could grasp it. The fact that it went well, and everyone that I recall was fun about it. It was one of my early forays into PYF, if I recall.
Glad you took it well and had fun.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

It is funny. And I got a silly avatar out of it, and even inspired a thread tag.

There are far far worse things I could have ended up in saclopedia for, so I'll count my blessings I'm "the small pastry goon" and not "the another child molester goon" or "the goon who died from injecting drugs into his eyes".

there's still time

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bulletsponge13 posted:

I didn't realize it was you, or that you were in the thread!
It was one my favorite stories on this site, because it just broke everybody's brain. Like no one could grasp it. The fact that it went well, and everyone that I recall was fun about it. It was one of my early forays into PYF, if I recall.
Glad you took it well and had fun.

I've never seen it go wrong when someone is genuinely cool about it. Goonpiles mostly seem to happen when someone tries to play it off

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The core of zen goonness is the ability to laugh at people getting owned even if they are you

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I had the good fortune to be around for that one, but lets not forget the "theres a front page?" article

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/food-fad-shrimp/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

RFC2324 posted:

I've never seen it go wrong when someone is genuinely cool about it. Goonpiles mostly seem to happen when someone tries to play it off

more like oldchillful

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

purple death ray posted:

The core of zen goonness is the ability to laugh at people getting owned even if they are you

Speaking of Goon Zen, the Koan thread was amazing. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872251

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Seconded. Lots of great quotes in there

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

purple death ray posted:

Yes^

I am buddha

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

snoo posted:

there's still time

a man sits in the destroyed remnants of a Parisian catacomb, clutching a broken syringe in his hands, he cries "But there was time! There was time now!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I still don't get how so many goons allowed their brains to get broken by Trump's election and afterwards. My brain was broken after the 2014 midterms but I quickly bounced back. :shrug:
(What I'm trying to say was that I was radicalized by the Iraq War and the Recession and that all the 2016 election did was confirm my deepest suspicions to the plans of the GOP)

Grouchio has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Aug 10, 2019

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grouchio posted:

I still don't get how so many goons allowed their brains to get broken by Trump's election and afterwards. My brain was broken after the 2014 midterms but I quickly bounced back. :shrug:

?
I was 50 and on Election Day I learned that the America I thought I lived in was not how America really was AT ALL. That people were fundamentally dumber and more brainwashed, and I could go on but won't.

And I've learned just how incorrect I was even more as time has gone on.

It was one of the shocks of my life, and it wasn't just political- not at all.
I'm a woman and this guy getting elected was a fundamental slap to the psyche.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Spins posted:

?
I was 50 and on Election Day I learned that the America I thought I lived in was not how America really was AT ALL. That people were fundamentally dumber and more brainwashed, and I could go on but won't.

Same. People are freaking out because they give a poo poo about other people and it's really sad to read so many people who already gave up and are cheering for planetary destruction.

Please don't make fun of people who care about other humans tia.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Spins posted:

?

Same. I'm trans and disabled. Right now, they're getting ready to make it legal to not treat queer people, and people who've had abortions, because of religious objections. That means a trans woman can be hit by a car, and bleed out on the street because the EMTs have religious objections (and yes, EMTs have let trans women bleed to death on the streets). It means that a woman who had to have a late-term abortion for medical reasons can be refused to be seen by her primary care afterwards. It means gay couples might be afraid to put each other as emergency contacts, or be able to make medical decisions for each other, out of fear of being outed and not being able to get the care they need. It means gay men might be afraid to ask their doctors for PREP. And in some places, this poo poo already happens. So it will happen, and will get worse. I'm not sure how my brain couldn't be broken by this.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spins posted:

?

you're 50 and don't remember Ronald Reagan?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Spins posted:

?

It also didn't help that the news pretty much all but assured everyone that Clinton was going to win and that Trump was just a ridiculous sideshow that even the GOP wasn't fully behind. Once he got elected and the GOP closed ranks around him (and the fact that they no longer had to worry about saying the quiet part quietly), it was like a living through the ending of Cabaret: everything is dissonant and you can see bigots and racists all around you.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Spins posted:

?

My apologies and condolences. I was only wondering why the denizens of the climate change thread and others of their mindset came to be, and if they could ever be talked out of eternal pessimism. 'If I'm able to be so optimistic about certain things, why can't they?' sort of thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

My apologies and condolences. I was only wondering why the denizens of the climate change thread and others of their mindset came to be, and if they could ever be talked out of eternal pessimism. 'If I'm able to be so optimistic about certain things, why can't they?' sort of thing.

I am not particularly surprised that you are incapable of thinking far enough about the political or literal climate to be pessimistic. :shrug:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
what’s going on in this thread

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

what’s going on in this thread

the continuing saga of learning everyone who posts in PYF is a fuckin grandparent apparently

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Billions of people will die due to the effects of climate change, that leads me to feel sad because empathy. I am sorry that you can not cope with reality.

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Aug 10, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

every community has to work through these feelings, including SA grandmas who post drama :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shifty Nipples posted:

Billions of people will die due to the effects of climate change, that leads me to feel sad because empathy. I am sorry that you can not cope with reality.

Falling into a depression and abandoning all hope doesn't help anyone though.