Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Humphreys posted:

Because they are too dumb to get a job anywhere else would be my normal answer, but gently caress trying to reverse big rear end trucks, and I can't figure out those loving gearboxes to save my live.

Coincidentally, I believe you have this reversed. Driving trucks in cities requires experience, but drat if delivery companies are going to pay extra dough for a driver who knows his poo poo. No, they hire an 18 year old who keeps bumping into everything for a year or two and then he's good enough or bored out of his existence that he applies to some better paying job or goes to study.

Also you haven't really lived if you haven't chipped a piece out of a building with a big honking truck and fled without telling anyone (it was smaller than my fist, I swear)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

Would this make any noticeable difference to the relative safety level of south philly?

Probably an improvement tbh

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nenonen posted:

Also you haven't really lived if you haven't chipped a piece out of a building with a big honking truck and fled without telling anyone (it was smaller than my fist, I swear)
No buildings.

Instead I did damage to another truck in a truck stop parking lot and I couldn't flee because he was more mobile than a building.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

That joinery is something that's been in use for hundreds of years. Looks like a couple pretty standard stop splayed scarf joint.

Plus it looks like it's timber frame over a cinder block wall, so I doubt that it's spanning all that much unsupported.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CannonFodder posted:

No buildings.

Instead I did damage to another truck in a truck stop parking lot and I couldn't flee because he was more mobile than a building.

Clearly you didn't do enough damage

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
On the topic of books...

Could anyone recommend something about the technical and scientific side of Chernobyl? I read Voices from Chernobyl, but it is really about the human misery. I wanna learn about milliroentgen, void coefficients, cesium half life, all that poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LifeSunDeath posted:

Would this make any noticeable difference to the relative safety level of south philly?

Just s whole lot of kids getting sent to Bel Aire

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Safety tip:
Once your artillery arsenal has stopped exploding, and the people from the nearby villages have returned to their shelled homes, make sure lightnings don't strike the unexploded parts of the arsenal.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Target Practice posted:

This is by David Hoffman right?

Yes and it's brilliant. And terrifying.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Is this photo taken from the driver's seat?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ringu0 posted:

Is this photo taken from the driver's seat?

Looks like it's from Australia. Makocraft is an Australian boat company and they seem to be driving on the left.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Looks like it's from Australia.

Yes, those are Victoria license plates. I'm surprised to see the F250 in Australia though, I didn't realize those were a thing there.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 9, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

deoju posted:

On the topic of books...

Could anyone recommend something about the technical and scientific side of Chernobyl? I read Voices from Chernobyl, but it is really about the human misery. I wanna learn about milliroentgen, void coefficients, cesium half life, all that poo poo.

Midnight at Chernobyl is decent. Atomic Accidents is also pretty good and casts a wider net.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Azhais posted:

Just s whole lot of kids getting sent to Bel Aire

:eng101: thats only from WEST philly.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.

Craptacular posted:

Yes, those are Victoria license plates. I'm surprised to see the F250 in Australia though, I didn't realize those were a thing there.

Since we stopped making cars a few years ago, all our bogans had to switch to American pick-ups instead of their traditional utes.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Humphreys posted:

Because they are too dumb to get a job anywhere else would be my normal answer, but gently caress trying to reverse big rear end trucks, and I can't figure out those loving gearboxes to save my live.

Straighten trailer as much as possible, eyes on mirror, hand on bottom of wheel, move hand in direction the rear of the trailer needs to go. Gearbox I can't help you with, but backing is just a matter of practise.

How loving tight is y'all's place? Smart money sends the better drivers to the narrower places.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Craptacular posted:

Double post for Ford weirdness. There was a version of the F-250 sold to Australian local governments with the 4.2 Essex V6 gas motor, all four door short beds. I had an '03 F-150 with the same engine, it was not "fast" or "quick" or even particularly "torquey". I can't imagine the mileage is any better than the 5.4 V8 (or even better than the 7.2 liter V10) with that much weight.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Extremely relevant crosspost from AI

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnFSQ4lOGQo

"Let's just rent the biggest one, I don't want to make two trips"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At that point I would have just jumped out of the truck, ran a way, and changed my identity to start a new life.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I almost hope the driver was drunk, because at least he'd have a (bad) excuse for his lovely driving then.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
of course as court reporter or clerk you go into work everyday well aware that you may be gassed to death:

https://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/rock-county-courthouse-chemical-release-prompts-changes#.XU2qdHtOnIU

quote:

The chemical supply company usually fills the containers in the boiler room, but staff members also routinely have filled the containers as needed, Sutherland said.

In this case, the worker noticed the sulfuric acid mixture was running low and started filling a container to make sure the chemical would not run out over the weekend, Sutherland said.

But the worker selected a different chemical, sodium hypochlorite, which is used to kill bacteria in the cooling system water.

The worker used a pump to transfer the product, and a chemical reaction began producing gas.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nuevo posted:

Extremely relevant crosspost from AI

It just kept getting better, I'm left with blue balls we didn't get to see the driver though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

worst smash and grab in history

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't think that guy should be walking on the top of a moving bus.

And the 2 boys on the back of the bike should have helmets too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Show some respect, those are the kids of the three guys who died in that attempted truck robbery. They are taking over the family business.

Edit: Oh, I guess I saw that on reddit, not here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-haauoaXWg

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 9, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

fuckin hvac of damocles over here

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'm the gallon of Mobil 1, what every kitchen needs.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Perogies and an AK but rum?

:crossarms:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

https://www.yahoo.com/news/migrant-workers-qatar-hold-rare-165806503.html

The Nepalese government says 1,426 of its nationals have died in Qatar since it was awarded the World Cup in 2010. Some died in accidents, while others died from fatal heat-related illness after working in temperatures exceeding 45 degrees.

osha as gently caress

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

boar guy posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/migrant-workers-qatar-hold-rare-165806503.html

The Nepalese government says 1,426 of its nationals have died in Qatar since it was awarded the World Cup in 2010. Some died in accidents, while others died from fatal heat-related illness after working in temperatures exceeding 45 degrees.

osha as gently caress

Goddamn, is this "World Cup" radioactive or something?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

no its just in a stupidly hot country and they are gonna have to enact special rules about water breaks to make sure the athletes don't die as the slave labor constructing the stadiums are

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

I'm the gallon of Mobil 1, what every kitchen needs.

It's the high mileage formula, the extra zinc is good for your skin.

You don't get that from olive oil.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Schadenboner posted:

Qatar is one of several Arabian countries that uses migrant slave labor, but it stays legal as long as they promise that they'll get paid "eventually."

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh poo poo, was that the orb Trump got his picture taken touching?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

boar guy posted:

no its just in a stupidly hot country and they are gonna have to enact special rules about water breaks to make sure the athletes don't die as the slave labor constructing the stadiums are
Yeah, in nearby Dubai many of the bus-stops are air-conditioned which I initially thought was pretty bougie until I was told "no, that's so the hired-help don't die while they're commuting to clean your house".

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

minato posted:

Yeah, in nearby Dubai many of the bus-stops are air-conditioned which I initially thought was pretty bougie until I was told "no, that's so the hired-help don't die while they're commuting to clean your house".

"Sure we stole your passport and refuse to give it back to you unless you work off your debt, but at least the bus stops are air conditioned"

The slave help keep dying though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tashilicious posted:

"Sure we stole your passport and refuse to give it back to you unless you work off your debt, but at least the bus stops are air conditioned"

The slave help keep dying though.

That's what happens when you pour boiling water on them when they didn't polish your golden toilet good enough.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
What do you do when your unsecured per-fabricated load unloads itself on a highway overpass?

WSDOT Traffic Cam Feed

edit:

Lakewood PD Twitter

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Miso Beno posted:

What do you do when your unsecured per-fabricated load unloads itself on a highway overpass?

Start building the garage beside it.

House with an 800 mile long driveway? yes please.