Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cargo cult posted:

yeah no one could be both an ethnonationalist and a kleptocrat social climber grifter

i'm makin a lil jerkoff motion with my wirst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
who would use nukes. thats irrational. you idiots ever heard of MAD

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mercrom posted:

who would use nukes. thats irrational.

:911:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What if one of the kleptpcrats did something dumb tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can’t believe you don’t believe in the divine wisdom of the kleptocrats

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
there's not even going to be a conventional shooting war but ok

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

cargo cult posted:

I don't disagree but also overstressing the rationality of actors is pretty lmao, I imagine conflict wise this will be more dangerous when the water scarcity ramps up some more

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
1. A new round of ethnic cleansing, pogroms terrorism and unrest
2. Pakistan invades country with literally ten times the population
3. ???
4. Global Nuclear Annihilation

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Civilians reported to be fleeing from both sides of the border:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/08/kashmir-thousands-flee-border-villages-line-control-190809075043763.html

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
to be honest I don’t get the point of being smug about something you can’t possibly know

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

cargo cult posted:

if history teaches us anything its that big dumb wars are history

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

to be honest I don’t get the point of being smug about something you can’t possibly know

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mercrom posted:

who would use nukes. thats irrational. you idiots ever heard of MAD

Me, looking at a quickly expanding mushroom cloud: isn't that immoral

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

someone needs to tell these morons war is impossible

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

to feel good On Line ofc

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mercrom posted:

if history teaches us anything its that big dumb wars are history

its a border spat in the Balkans. nations are too intertwined to fight. cooler heads will prevail and it'll all wind down in a month.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
#WipeOutPakistan

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

someone needs to tell these morons war is impossible

Nuclear war isn't going to happen. They're still going to shoot each other, though. Or maybe not? Pakistan has like no money and the Taliban have been notably pissy with the Pakistani leadership, so

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
kashmiris will take up the shooting and booming, I imagine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

its a border spat in the Balkans. nations are too intertwined to fight. cooler heads will prevail and it'll all wind down in a month.

had this been any other US administration it's possible the entire world would take pakistan's side lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

Nuclear war isn't going to happen. They're still going to shoot each other, though. Or maybe not? Pakistan has like no money and the Taliban have been notably pissy with the Pakistani leadership, so

i don't understand the certainty of this. open war between nuclear armed states beyond minor skirmishes is historically unprecedented. if this escalates beyond that, admittedly not likely, we are in extremely dangerous territory

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

complete confidence in MAD seems like a weird thing to hold onto in 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

complete confidence in MAD seems like a weird thing to hold onto in 2019

i can't believe we made it 20 years without the plot from The Rock playing out

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i don't understand the certainty of this. open war between nuclear armed states beyond minor skirmishes is historically unprecedented. if this escalates beyond that, admittedly not likely, we are in extremely dangerous territory

It's mostly that neither state has the money or the army necessary to get into an actual protracted war. It'll be border skirmishes and that's it, because anything else will bankrupt them.

I'd really prefer if we also leaned on India to get them to knock it off but I don't know if anyone wants to try that. I heard that Pakistan is looking to get a vote in front of the security council, which I kinda assume will pass without issue.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I am not trying to be smug or whatever, its just that seeing people respond to a fascist clamp down in a persecuted region of another country primarily with essentially "wait, this one could potentially affect me!" feels kinda lovely imo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I am not trying to be smug or whatever, its just that seeing people respond to a fascist clamp down in a persecuted region of another country primarily with essentially "wait, this one could potentially affect me!" feels kinda lovely imo
that's a hell of an interpretation

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Thats exactly whats going on though, otherwise people wouldnt give so much time to a scenario as unlikely as a nuclear war between neighboring countries with a huge population disparity

Its the same sort of self-centered alarmist perspective that features in discussions of north korea or iran getting the bomb

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
we are all here out of genuine concern for india and pakistan. if you read this thread feeling anything but mixed feelings of boredom and angst you are a racist conflict tourist

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

omg i hope we get some good kashmiri restaurants out of this from refugee families! that food is amazing

edit bad timing

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thats exactly whats going on though

nah

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Thats exactly whats going on though, otherwise people wouldnt give so much time to a scenario as unlikely as a nuclear war between neighboring countries with a huge population disparity

Its the same sort of self-centered alarmist perspective that features in discussions of north korea or iran getting the bomb

dude this is like rightwingers who call every expression of concern or empathy virtue signalling. not healthy to assume everyone else is a sociopath

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i am looking forward to your venezuela threadesque meltdown though

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Projection is one of my favourite things on the Internet

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
what am i supposed to be projecting, exactly?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

that people can only feel empathy if it personally effects them.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
a better movie

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
then why is the discussion itt centered around the odds of india-pakistan war and nuclear armageddon instead of whats happening/about to happen to the people of Kashmir?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

then why is the discussion itt centered around the odds of india-pakistan war and nuclear armageddon instead of whats happening/about to happen to the people of Kashmir?

because this conflict is wider than just kashmir itself and could precipitate a war between india and pakistan, which is what this thread is explicitly about

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

how many Indians and Pakistani do you think are in this thread.

because a shooty war would hurt them the most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

because this conflict is wider than just kashmir itself and could precipitate a war between india and pakistan, which is what this thread is explicitly about

That's fine, its just that immediatley jumping into nuclear alarmism at every escalation without spending much time on talking about whats actually going on right now really gives me a weird vibe is all