Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Really sad someone has https://www.amicybersafe.org right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ellipson posted:

Close down Infosec, we've got 5 Dimensional Crypto now

https://twitter.com/veorq/status/1159559785068429312

And their extremely good site - https://timeai.io/

And their awesome science complete with album cover at the bottom - https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1903/1903.08570.pdf

Also featured: actual cryptographers dunking on them in real time and on twitter.

Apparently they practically booed them off the stage, it was that lovely and fake

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently they practically booed them off the stage, it was that lovely and fake
mental illness is one hell of a drug
nevermind how bad it gets when you add nebulously defined crypto to it

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I posted in here a while back, and got some good feedback. I've been promoted to a decision making level on the software dev side for an alternative to Splunk.

If you're using Splunk and looking for something else, what are the 'killer features' in Splunk that keep you with them? If anyone is interested, I will go back through this thread and discuss any issues that came up the first time around.

We run splunk and elastic. I like that splunk lets you extract after forwarding. Their search syntax is also pretty easy to learn.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

mental illness is one hell of a drug
nevermind how bad it gets when you add nebulously defined crypto to it

And when they straight ignore actual maths, while claiming to know maths.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

CommieGIR posted:

quote:

DON'T ROLL YOUR OWN CRYPTO

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Crypto: Brought to you by the History Channel and Ancient Aliens

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CommieGIR posted:

I had a pitch from a startup whose premise was, baldly, "we violate CAP and provide all three because our code is really efficient". I'm sure someone funded them, it was a pretty well-put-together presentation.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

CommieGIR posted:

Not only booed them off the stage, got debunked live in person with a finisher of someone taking the mic to just yell at them, lol

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’ve just finished reading this entire thread, and I saved several of your posts into my keep for later.rtf file. If you wouldn’t mind, could you expand on your disdain for AV software? Is it all AV software or just certain companies?

I’d really like to get your take, if your willing to share. Which AV company did you work for? What was your job there?

I don't really feel the need to talk about my time in the industry any longer--this was years ago and I've moved on to cooler things. My role wasn't super important but it did let me know how the inner-workings of the whole thing work.

It's the fundamentals of AV that are wrong so it's irrelevant to anyone or even myself what company I worked for since the principles are all the same. The AV vendors with larger research and analysis teams are the vendors that tend to get better coverage but really that is it. AV doesn't scale well and is a technological dead-end as there are better ways to thwart off malware and the like.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ellipson posted:

Not only booed them off the stage, got debunked live in person with a finisher of someone taking the mic to just yell at them, lol
Please tell me there's a recording of this.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you scroll through the twitter thread there is some video further down. People yelling “get off the stage! You shouldn’t be here!” lmao

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Double Punctuation posted:

Big zero-day EOP for Steam:

https://amonitoring.ru/article/steamclient-0day/

Apparently, Registry symbolic links are a thing, and ordinary users can create them in Steam’s system-wide folder pointing to anywhere, causing the Steam Client Service to grant Users full control on the target of the link.

I think the bigger problem here is ordinary users can create Registry symbolic links without SeCreateSymbolicLinkPrivilege set. Still bad programming in Steam, though.

Ars has an article with a more clear example, which is much easier to understand than the somewhat incoherent blog. The guy is russian so ESL is understandable, but in this case I've seen uninformed pushback from the Steam Defense Force & people not understanding it. I didn't quite follow the final steps in the blog myself, but looked at the guy's twitter and another security guy who had also submitted the same exploit and got stonewalled put a simple example on github.

The flaw is absolutely on steam's part, and it's that the steam service stomps on security permissions every time it runs, blindly, on everything in the steam registry subdirectory. Restricting registry symbolic links to SeCreateSymbolicLinkPrivilege wouldn't help in practice since symbolic links are one of the things that doesn't fire a UAC prompt if you're an Administrator, which most people are. (It is weird that non-admins can do it in the registry tho. :shrug:)

If the service only set it once when steam installs, or in a targeted way when it installs a new game, it wouldn't be quite as exploitable. Plus apparently the info steam keeps in that subdirectory is related to the redistributes that Steam now keeps centralized (rather than every game coming with 200mb of directx). Not particular games.

also also,

klosterdev posted:

quote:

DON'T ROLL YOUR OWN CRYPTO FUNDAMENTAL MATHEMATICS

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm mostly self-taught, so I have a little bit of a bias, but lab courses, youtube videos, and online guides are my classroom. Best way is a virtual lab, via Virtualbox, a couple VMs, and a Kali instance.

I tend to agree. You won't catch me knocking classroom learning -- it's a great way to learn theory and fundamentals, and I'm very glad of my CS degree -- but you've got to supplement that with reading cool poo poo and trying cool poo poo for yourself.

Hell, at one job soon after college, I got a reputation as the office's "white hat hacker" because I was able to recover a bunch of deleted emails from someone's local Outlook mailbox. I happened to have run across the method of blowing away the table of contents with a hex editor and then letting scanpst rediscover everything. Not exactly an advanced technique, but nobody else there knew of it, and it's not really the sort of thing that would come up in a classroom either. And that job led directly to one where I started having actual infosec responsibilities (and started realizing just how much I still had to learn).

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lain Iwakura posted:

I don't really feel the need to talk about my time in the industry any longer--this was years ago and I've moved on to cooler things. My role wasn't super important but it did let me know how the inner-workings of the whole thing work.

It's the fundamentals of AV that are wrong so it's irrelevant to anyone or even myself what company I worked for since the principles are all the same. The AV vendors with larger research and analysis teams are the vendors that tend to get better coverage but really that is it. AV doesn't scale well and is a technological dead-end as there are better ways to thwart off malware and the like.

Thanks for the response. I actually found an old OP you did for the “Your operating system has poor operational security” thread and it answered any questions I had about AV. I’m trying to read all the IT and Infosec threads, there’s good nuggets of info in those threads, there are lots of good recommendations and what have you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh, everything makes sense now. It was a sponsored talk.
Has DEFCON^wblackhat sold out?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 9, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

noted good security events defcon and blackhat

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Defenestrategy posted:

I "Learn to use Kali, learn to use Wireshark, and Learn to use niche software that looks like it hasn't been updated since the mid 2000's and hopefully not cop some liability for accidentally destroying evidence".

On the flip, tools created in the mid 2000s are still good when you are finding systems that have not been updated since the mid 2000s.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

D. Ebdrup posted:

No, but they will next year, which is 2009.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

On the flip, tools created in the mid 2000s are still good when you are finding systems that have not been updated since the mid 2000s.

True, but I have no clue if it was because the tools are niche enough, I can't remember exactly which tools but there was some stuff for steganography and recovery of deleted/scrubbed files we played with, the company who produces it can just kinda coast on a really poor Windows 98 UI that crashes on newer systems or if the school was just cheap and using depreciated software, or both.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ah not naming names just encase they find out

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Just your regular reminder of where my hatred of AV comes from:

https://twitter.com/ericlaw/status/1159850783862640641

Avast has done this poo poo before too.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I'm sorry, Jon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm sorry, Jon.

I hate zero days Jon

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lain Iwakura posted:

Just your regular reminder of where my hatred of AV comes from:

https://twitter.com/ericlaw/status/1159850783862640641

Avast has done this poo poo before too.

Yeah, our most common crashes in Firefox were consistently a) Flash, b) Flash, c) DLLs injected by AV bullshit, d) Flash. It's been going on a long time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

D. Ebdrup posted:

This happens pretty regularly. Enough that I think they have a a spot or two reserved for nutters. Normally they're entertaining enough noone really cares.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

D. Ebdrup posted:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

yea actually

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I wish we could make this the thread title

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Next week as my team's on-call rotation is rolling over, gonna offer the next person up the choice of drowning in alerts or balls and see what happens. Because the best move isn't obvious here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Docjowles posted:

Next week as my team's on-call rotation is rolling over, gonna offer the next person up the choice of drowning in alerts or balls and see what happens. Because the best move isn't obvious here.

It's kind of disappointing that no one has made a teabagging emoji yet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Never seen a better name, post, avatar combination before.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Anyone ever use Bay Dynamics Risk Fabric? Seems ok, waiting on a PoC to be installed in our lab soo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

:pervert:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Just that picture is enough to make me laugh. That whole poo poo-show was amazing.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ah not naming names just encase they find out

Since OpenText took over that product has taken a nosedive.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

What's the best option for a group of u.s. immigration lawyers looking to move off of Facebook? I'm suggesting Signal, but I think they want something more like the fb group setup. Tech skills vary too much for anything extremely niche, and they are using phones, macs, and pcs.

I've lurked in the thread on and off for years, but am not skilled or qualified, just looking to give a group of good people doing good work good advice. I'm not sure what options exist that are secure against both bad actors and, potentially, state actors :tinfoil:. Is discord/slack probably fine? I don't want to be too paranoid, but, you know, America.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

What's the best option for a group of u.s. immigration lawyers looking to move off of Facebook? I'm suggesting Signal, but I think they want something more like the fb group setup. Tech skills vary too much for anything extremely niche, and they are using phones, macs, and pcs.

I've lurked in the thread on and off for years, but am not skilled or qualified, just looking to give a group of good people doing good work good advice. I'm not sure what options exist that are secure against both bad actors and, potentially, state actors :tinfoil:. Is discord/slack probably fine? I don't want to be too paranoid, but, you know, America.

What makes you think Discord or Slack are somehow anymore secure or safe than Facebook? Maybe use Telegram or something I dunno, not sure what you mean by "fb group setup" and this seems pretty paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Sorry. I meant they will want something with the ability to follow different threads/posts/conversations in a format that allows a moderator to add and remove people as needed.

I honestly don't know how discord or slack compare because I'm ignorant. I am probably overthinking it. Ive been editing a podcast for an immigration lawyer, and the stories and cases they discuss probably just made me depressed and paranoid.