Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

dude this is like rightwingers who call every expression of concern or empathy virtue signalling. not healthy to assume everyone else is a sociopath

Questionlad is a rightwing chud who projects his own mania onto posts he reads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
ok

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

That's fine, its just that immediatley jumping into nuclear alarmism at every escalation without spending much time on talking about whats actually going on right now really gives me a weird vibe is all

this is a bit. you're doing a bit right now.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
its just some boats sailing to cuba. no need to freak out over every escalation lmao

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

That's fine, its just that immediatley jumping into nuclear alarmism at every escalation without spending much time on talking about whats actually going on right now really gives me a weird vibe is all

it's the insane yearning for death that lives at the heart of cspam incarnated

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

The entire region is under a communications blackout, how the gently caress are we supposed to talk about what's happening on the ground?

Your 'vibe' is your problem, don't try to make it the thread's.

ubachung has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Aug 9, 2019

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
i just wrote some posts stating i found the current focus of discussion weird and explained why, i wasnt trying to mind meld the thread into agreeing with me or whatever

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
goon: im worried about millions of people dying or the world ending
rightist infiltrator disguised as a chronically wokebrained moron: why make everything about yourself

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
"rightist infiltrator"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

self-crit is always good. maybe we should be talking more about UCBMs instead of ICBMs

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
that’s the secret behind nuclear weapons, every escalation is a potential nuclear war just like every skirmish can lead to full on war.

if it makes you feel better to not believe that you do you but don’t pretend it’s some objective truth.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

"rightist infiltrator"

How about you talk about the people of Kashmir instead of posting worthless drivel?

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Mercrom posted:

who would use nukes. thats irrational. you idiots ever heard of MAD

What does alfred e neuman have to do with all this

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Chill yall

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Why did the BJP chose to do this now? How far do they intend to go? Political crackdowns? Forced resetlement programs? Camps? Genocide?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Agean90 posted:

don't think there's gonna be a shooting war beyond the kind of skirmishing we saw earlier this year but i do suspect Pakistan and China are gonna be getting really friendly with each other

Pakistan and China have been really friendly for decades

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

idk why you're talking about MAD when both states hold a credible deterrence doctrine instead

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah, pakistan china and the US were all allied after the 70s to counter soviet allied india. china and pakistan have remained close.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

then why is the discussion itt centered around the odds of india-pakistan war and nuclear armageddon instead of whats happening/about to happen to the people of Kashmir?

That poo poo is boring, americans know all about occupations already. How many people itt actually have cracked open a history book about this to actually make congnent analysis. In conclusion, just shitpost.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Why did the BJP chose to do this now? How far do they intend to go? Political crackdowns? Forced resetlement programs? Camps? Genocide?

AFAIK, the airstrikes (and the social media messaging surrounding them) were a huge part of getting Modi re-elected with more seats, despite him being a failure in every other respect. Cruelty is a winning strategy for the right to begin with, AND this lets BJP look tough again.

Edit: Probably gonna generate a bunch of terrorist attacks from desperate displaced people, which again is a win for BJP. Also helps them reinforce their message about the ‘wrong kind’ of refugees, which is going to be critical as time goes on.

Random Asshole has issued a correction as of 00:18 on Aug 10, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Prav posted:

those are some nasty-rear end borders

if a comet hit england pre colonialism the world would be way cooler today

they won an election despite tanking the economy they feel untouchable and their voters want provocation and national glory so there will probably be a lot of dying and poo poo

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

For real though it's just gonna be a 1:1 recreation of Netanyahu and the West Bank. Right-wing Indian government will shamelessly colonize Kashmir and the West will 100% buy into the inevitable insurgent violence as proof that it's all the Muslims' fault, and it will just drag on for decades as the world's slowest fait acompli. And every 10 years or so there will be a "limited war" along the border to strike at Terrorist Infrastructure that will have no long-term impact on the core problems but will make for great saber-rattling any time the govt gets caught selling telecoms licenses to their 6 year old nephews and some feckless center-libs are poised to win an election.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Thats exactly whats going on though, otherwise people wouldnt give so much time to a scenario as unlikely as a nuclear war between neighboring countries with a huge population disparity

Its the same sort of self-centered alarmist perspective that features in discussions of north korea or iran getting the bomb

a scenario which is unlikely yet has extremely bad consequences is worth worrying about whether they affect you or not.

i've seen the bulletin of the atomic scientists express serious concern over india and pakistan at least a few times over the past few years. i don't think it's alarmism to worry/talk about how this could devolve further, given what little we know about what's happening

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

For real though it's just gonna be a 1:1 recreation of Netanyahu and the West Bank. Right-wing Indian government will shamelessly colonize Kashmir and the West will 100% buy into the inevitable insurgent violence as proof that it's all the Muslims' fault, and it will just drag on for decades as the world's slowest fait acompli. And every 10 years or so there will be a "limited war" along the border to strike at Terrorist Infrastructure that will have no long-term impact on the core problems but will make for great saber-rattling any time the govt gets caught selling telecoms licenses to their 6 year old nephews and some feckless center-libs are poised to win an election.

What's Urdu for 'intifada'?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

pakistan isnt as powerless vs indian as the arab countries are against israel since the 70s.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

pakistan isnt as powerless vs indian as the arab countries are against israel since the 70s.

smdh this forum doesnt have a crying Nasser smilie

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I would argue that recent years have actually changed this dynamic since the US-Pakistan alliance is weakening and India is getting close to the US govt for basically the first time ever. Modi-Netanyahu-Trump can bond over their shared bigotry and love for smarmy denial of ethnic cleansing, and India can finally get in on that sweet action of hiding behind America's skirts every time they piss off all of their neighbors.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

It's racist to assume that nuclear brinksmanship suddenly goes flying out the window when it comes to South Asians.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Or maybe the idea that India will turn off the water to Pakistan like they threatened to this week might be enough to provoke a nuclear war especially as access to fresh water becomes more precarious.

Remember one I'd the arguments against Clinton in 2016 was that enforcing a no fly zone in Syria could spark a nuclear war with Russia? Because when nuclear armed states come into conflict the possibility of the use if nuclear weapons is the elephant in the room, and that the US and the USSR narrowly avoided global nuclear holocaust on several occasions doesn't mean we're always going to be that lucky

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Actually would Russia come down on India's side? I'm not sure.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KomradeX posted:

Or maybe the idea that India will turn off the water to Pakistan like they threatened to this week might be enough to provoke a nuclear war especially as access to fresh water becomes more precarious.

Remember one I'd the arguments against Clinton in 2016 was that enforcing a no fly zone in Syria could spark a nuclear war with Russia? Because when nuclear armed states come into conflict the possibility of the use if nuclear weapons is the elephant in the room, and that the US and the USSR narrowly avoided global nuclear holocaust on several occasions doesn't mean we're always going to be that lucky

Lots of mights and maybes going on here. It's all baseless speculation that this time the stakes could be high enough to start a nuclear war.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Lots of mights and maybes going on here. It's all baseless speculation that this time the stakes could be high enough to start a nuclear war.

Avd yeah that's all its going to be until our happens cause we don't know what the start of a nuclear war outta going to look like since it's been 74 years to the day since the last time a nuclear weapon was used in a war. Just saying its not going to happen and acting like the people who acknowledge this looming threat whenever nuclear armed powers come into conflict are being crazy is actually I think the crazy behavior. You might as well say there will be no war in 1914 because everyone is too entwined economically or that no two countries that have McDonald's have gone to war.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
People are generally bad at handling statistics and probabilities. If I made up a low number and used it to say the risk of nuclear confrontation between India and Pakistan is low people would be relieved. If I used the same number to say nuclear war is the most likely cause of death for children in those regions people would be worried.

A lot of things have acceptable risks associated with them, like planes or surgeries. There is no acceptable risk of nuclear war.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

i say swears online posted:

self-crit is always good. maybe we should be talking more about UCBMs instead of ICBMs

when im grinding jp in fftactics i hate when i crit myself and kill my dude

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KomradeX posted:

Avd yeah that's all its going to be until our happens cause we don't know what the start of a nuclear war outta going to look like since it's been 74 years to the day since the last time a nuclear weapon was used in a war. Just saying its not going to happen and acting like the people who acknowledge this looming threat whenever nuclear armed powers come into conflict are being crazy is actually I think the crazy behavior. You might as well say there will be no war in 1914 because everyone is too entwined economically or that no two countries that have McDonald's have gone to war.

Well if the Hiroshima & Nagasaki bombings are any indication, the stakes would have to be as high as an existential conflict where both sides are committed to total war. If it's not possible for India or Pakistan to wage total war, then the chances of a nuclear escalation are pretty remote.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
actually japan wasnt a threat at all to the US by 1945 and truman dropped the bombs to beat russia to conquering japan

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nazi Germany wasn't a threat either by 1945 so what's your point

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that nukes will get used when a big enough rear end hole gets in charge

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

i say swears online posted:

i can't believe we made it 20 years without the plot from The Rock playing out

I like the part where the vx is released and the people nearby immediately blister and melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Spergin Morlock posted:

I like the part where the vx is released and the people nearby immediately blister and melt.

Are you telling me its not true